Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lawen posted:

I’m not proud of it but the only Amazon Dash button I own is for 5x12 boxes of estilo style Cafe Bustello kcups.

every word of this sentence is more shameful than the last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I bought these:

To make this for my Volt:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bottom Liner posted:

:lol:

Amazon sent me an email that said they would no longer support the Prime Video app on my receiver, but then I remembered that my brother gave me a Fire Stick for Christmas that I had promptly stashed away in a cabinet so I hooked it up. I'm starting to see why people like them.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

True but I blame Trump

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Android Apocalypse posted:

I stopped by REI because I wanted to try some new food for various camp outings throughout the summer
:

OMEALS Hash Browns with Bacon and Peppers. This one includes a heating element, similar to a MRE.

Backpacker's Pantry Huevos Rancheros Egg Scramble Mix. This one I'll need to cook after hydrating.

Backpacker's Pantry Pesto Pasta with Salmon

If I can make a life changing recommendation, give Packit Gourmet a shot for their dehydrated meals.

They are not only substantially tastier than REI and mountain house, but they are also cheaper AND the portion sizes are exactly right. Enough you feel really quite full, but not so much you have half a bag of extra food leftover that you have to pack out.

And! Their water requirements are amazing—wayyyy less than either mountain house or REI meals to rehydrate. Absolute godsend while backpacking in the desert or just in general really. And they even have a bunch of cold rehydrate meals, like their kickin chicken wings wrap. I just don’t have enough good things to say about these guys.

Their diner deluxe eggs, all American works burger, and kickin chicken wings wraps are just on a whole other level. The boil in bag for the eggs really makes them fluffy and tasty, like you scrambled them at home.

Also, if you don’t already have one, long handled polished spoons are a godsend for eating out of bags:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074C5NZ24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uY6oDbAAH7CF2

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Might have been clickbait but I remember reading something about Subaru claiming that "People are buying the hell out of the NA ones so we aren't gonna bother with another turbo Forester". drat shame too cause there aren't many cars with the fun to practical ratio of an XT. When I was looking for an old school Forester XT with a manual I discovered that they're as rare as unicorn tears. Low mileage ones were unreasonable. I settled on a NA Legacy because I found one in super nice shape with low miles for a decent price. drat thing is painfully slow though.

I wish Subaru would make a small pickup like the Honda Ridgeline though. I just bought a house and I'm running out of favors to call in from my truck owning friends.

I have an 05 FXT in manual and I refuse to get rid of it despite the alarmingly high number of miles it now has. It’s been meticulously maintained and is in excellent condition, despite putting a few go-fast, sound-good bits on it.

I’ve also replaced a fair few regular maintenance items over the past 18 months or so: timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, clutch and flywheel, oil control valves and AVCS cam sensor, disintegrating intercooler and turbo hoses, etc. i replaced the turbo with a brand new OEM Subaru unit I got from a friend for like $50 and also put a catless up-pipe on to prevent the first catalyst from throwing debris into the turbo. The turbo I pulled off the car had 215k miles on it and is in perfect condition, still sitting on my workbench.

It’s a near-perfect combination of fast and practical while still flying under the radar for 99% of the general populace. Despite all the work I’ve done to it recently it’s never been unreliable or left me stranded. I’ve done almost all those repairs proactively.

Imperador do Brasil has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jul 27, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I have an 05 FXT in manual and I refuse to get rid of it despite the alarmingly high number of miles it now has. It’s been meticulously maintained and is in excellent condition, despite putting a few go-fast, sound-good bits on it.

I’ve also replaced a fair few regular maintenance items over the past 18 months or so: timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, clutch and flywheel, oil control valves and AVCS cam sensor, disintegrating intercooler and turbo hoses, etc. i replaced the turbo with a brand new OEM Subaru unit I got from a friend for like $50 and also put a catless up-pipe on to prevent the first catalyst from throwing debris into the turbo. The turbo I pulled off the car had 215k miles on it and is in perfect condition, still sitting on my workbench.

It’s a near-perfect combination of fast and practical while still flying under the radar for 99% of the general populace. Despite all the work I’ve done to it recently it’s never been unreliable or left me stranded. I’ve done almost all those repairs proactively.

just watched a vid of this thing pulling on the highway, goddamn, looks like a lotta fun.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

Amazon sent me an email that said they would no longer support the Prime Video app on my receiver, but then I remembered that my brother gave me a Fire Stick for Christmas that I had promptly stashed away in a cabinet so I hooked it up. I'm starting to see why people like them.

We've got 4 of them now. We're pretty much trapped in Amazon's ecosystem forever. It's a shame because VUDU sometimes has good free movies, but I guess our two main TV's still have Vudu built in, we're just not inclined to ever bother with the built in stuff when everything else is already on the Fire Stick. Our favorite part is the photo slideshow as the screensaver, which looked crappy up close on the normal version, but our one 4k stick running at 1080p looks much better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought the first firestick when it came out and liked it a lot. And then one day they randomly disabled the Youtube app and it sucked. Then it came back again when they hashed out whatever problems they had with Google.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I bought these:

Real clever. I had brick outside my garage so would be more difficult. I have the same charger though and euro works great for my Volt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I remember the (legal!) PDF of this being pretty decent when I skimmed it, so maybe I’ll pick up a hard copy. Thanks for the reminder!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TraderStav posted:

Real clever. I had brick outside my garage so would be more difficult. I have the same charger though and euro works great for my Volt.

Ah, yeah if I had anything more complicated than wood siding I'd just keep doing my under the garage door with a short double stacked shim job. Saw someone post a how-to guide on the Volt FB group and it seemed easy enough

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I bought these:

Why is it on the outside of your garage?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

LifeSunDeath posted:

just watched a vid of this thing pulling on the highway, goddamn, looks like a lotta fun.

For whatever it’s worth, when they were new they were faster than a regular WRX and almost as quick as an STi despite being rated at 17hp less than the WRX and 90hp less than the STi. The Forester has 4.44 final drive which makes it accelerate way harder than a tall wagon has any right to. It’s hilarious fun. The only thing I wish mine had is the beefier STi 6-speed transmission, but overall I like it more than the 05 STi I had a few years ago; better ride quality, less punishing on poor quality roads, and way more utility with the hatch. I had another FXT recently that was actually faster than this one but I sold it because it was automatic, and kept the manual one because I know I’ll never find another one that isn’t trashed for a reasonable sum of money. I don’t drive it that often anymore so it sits in the garage mostly, but every time I take it anywhere I am smiling the entire time.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Saddamnit posted:

I don't know how it is everywhere else, but around here garages are rarely ever used to put a car inside of it. People tend to use them to store things, use it as a workshop or sometimes a gym. I would do the same if I had one!

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Jul 27, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Saddamnit posted:

If he’s like me and has kids, their poo poo overruns everything and no place for a car.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah it's a combo of my gf's junk is in there and even when it's clear I never used it too much. I feel like if it was attached is actually park in it but all my life it's been easier to park in front of the door, turn around and walk in the house

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Imperador do Brasil posted:

:allears:

I really wanted a first or second gen manual, but they're so goddamn hard to find.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Went back to the old rear end book store, picked up a book club copy of one of the old James bond books for my dad, a 50s patho-phys textbook for my wife, and a 50s book on weird popular beliefs/moral panics. Apparently the Dutch used to treat tulips like the stock market or some nonsense like that. All told it was 8 bucks.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Crossposting from Switch thread. Bought Atomic Purple shell for my Switch and a SNES themed shell for the Pro Controller. Wasn't nearly as hard as the Joycons but still some ribbons to detach on the Pro if you're nervous of stuff like that.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SEKCobra posted:

Finally found a place in Europe selling window ACs and imported one from Italy. Installed it yesterday and it's so much better than the portable units blowing hot air outside.
Gone are the days of existing, back are the summer days of living

Could you link, please? Mr Boods' little hotbox of a house is absolutely miserable when the temps go above 28 or so (all brick, black slate roof, faces south-west, tiny rooms), and I say this as someone who grew up without AC in the mid-Atlantic. (am thinking of getting myself a small Dyson bladeless fan, which Mr Boods refuses to have anything to do with).

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I got accepted into college, so I figured I'd get some pens.

One four-colour pen and a mechanical pencil, they're very nicely balanced and quite light.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

Spy_Guy posted:

I got accepted into college, so I figured I'd get some pens.

One four-colour pen and a mechanical pencil, they're very nicely balanced and quite light.

What pens are those? Particularly interested in the four color pen.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Saddamnit posted:

What pens are those? Particularly interested in the four color pen.

They're both Lamy 2000s, you can find them by searching for "Lamy 2000 4 color" and "Lamy 2000 mechanical pencil".

They also make a really cool one called the 4pen which is three colour ballpoints and a mechanical pencil in one.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

New strings for my ukulele

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Tim Whatley posted:

Crossposting from Switch thread. Bought Atomic Purple shell for my Switch and a SNES themed shell for the Pro Controller. Wasn't nearly as hard as the Joycons but still some ribbons to detach on the Pro if you're nervous of stuff like that.

I have the same shell from my switch, It holds oil like crazy and gets really slick fast. It's a nice throwback shade but it's not the same grip as the old atomic purple gameboys.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Egg chair...

egg chair

EGG CHAIR!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Ms Boods posted:

Could you link, please? Mr Boods' little hotbox of a house is absolutely miserable when the temps go above 28 or so (all brick, black slate roof, faces south-west, tiny rooms), and I say this as someone who grew up without AC in the mid-Atlantic. (am thinking of getting myself a small Dyson bladeless fan, which Mr Boods refuses to have anything to do with).

https://www.ebay.at/itm/3S-Fensterklimager%E4t-kompakt-3-5-KW-K%FChl-12000-BTU-MIDEA-R32-Kompressor-KLASSE-A/141841969186

But if you have a house I'd really just install a split-AC, only reason I went with a window AC is the fact that I am renting an apartment with no real way to mount the outside unit.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Megabound posted:

Egg chair...

egg chair

EGG CHAIR!

It's very nice that you got your cat it's own chair

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Love that cat. Would pet.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Someone posted an ad that said "Discman, unknown condition, $10 OBO".

$30 including shipping and a few swabs of the laser with some q-tips later, I have a mint Sony D-350 with protective case and battery bar.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm not trying to shop shame, but can you explain what a discman might be useful for, and how much it might be worth as mint? Or is it just for collecting?

I "bought" a mortgage extension so that we can redevelop our house. Hopefully the result is worth the last lifetime of debt

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It plays compact discs, a music format still sold in many retail outlets.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

CancerCakes posted:

I'm not trying to shop shame, but can you explain what a discman might be useful for, and how much it might be worth as mint? Or is it just for collecting?

I "bought" a mortgage extension so that we can redevelop our house. Hopefully the result is worth the last lifetime of debt

I'm a collector of vintage tech, look at my post history in this thread. I have a lot of CDs and a lot of headphones to play around with, and this is like the sixth discman I own, together with 5 minidisc players and I think 5 or 6 tape walkman models.

What makes this D-350 special is that it's one of the two top models from Sony, and it will sell for anything from $150-$300+ on eBay to other collectors if I get sick of it or I need some extra cash.

I have also owned the other top model, the D-555, which I bought broken for a little over $100. I couldn't fix it, so I put it on eBay for $1 with free worldwide shipping, and it ended up selling for $315.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

evobatman posted:

I'm a collector of vintage tech, look at my post history in this thread. I have a lot of CDs and a lot of headphones to play around with, and this is like the sixth discman I own, together with 5 minidisc players and I think 5 or 6 tape walkman models.

What makes this D-350 special is that it's one of the two top models from Sony, and it will sell for anything from $150-$300+ on eBay to other collectors if I get sick of it or I need some extra cash.

I have also owned the other top model, the D-555, which I bought broken for a little over $100. I couldn't fix it, so I put it on eBay for $1 with free worldwide shipping, and it ended up selling for $315.

I found a couple of mini disc players and a box of discs cleaning my parents attic recently. Those things were awesome, shame they got murdered by the iPod.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
My little brother still has his zune and it still works and he still uses it.

Why yes, he was the only one.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Zune had a pretty vibrant and beloved niche in the market, but Microsoft’s only acceptable outcome was “zune becomes an iPod killer”

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

All of you... come join us...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Aramek posted:

My little brother still has his zune and it still works and he still uses it.

Why yes, he was the only one.

I still use my Zune as my "plugged into a speaker on the roof" party playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SEKCobra posted:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/3S-Fensterklimager%E4t-kompakt-3-5-KW-K%FChl-12000-BTU-MIDEA-R32-Kompressor-KLASSE-A/141841969186

But if you have a house I'd really just install a split-AC, only reason I went with a window AC is the fact that I am renting an apartment with no real way to mount the outside unit.

Cheers!

As for the house, it's Mr Boods; I have no say in what gets added/taken away from it.