Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just had the game of my life

Trist with Cursed/BorK/Demon
Lucian with Shojin/BorK/Locket
Shen with Ionic Spark

I should just stop playing because I'll never have RNG this good again in my life, and that's the only thing that was the reason I won, it had nothing to do with my positional decision making, patience, scouting, item combining choices, counter-picking items, counter-picking champions, health management/sacrificing, or anything else at all. It's pure RNG and I want to beat the guy who designed this game to death with a lead pipe, because I'm a normal balanced human being and I don't have time for the trolls, as the mature adult in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The games where you just breeze through and everything is gifted to you in a nice order counter the games where the rng breaks your brain

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

CODChimera posted:

The games where you just breeze through and everything is gifted to you in a nice order counter the games where the rng breaks your brain
Usually for me it's a bait and switch: the signals are that's something is open and that nothing further pops up if I commit, forcing me to switch priorities yet again.

Still, great thanks to KCW for advice on early plays, from the round two trick to the extra emphasis on leveling up- especially in the early game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

News from Riot's other game: a Pantheon rework "Making Of" video. Highlights of the rework are:
  • Q now seems to have a dual cast mechanic ala Pyke Q, where a tap is a simple stab and the charged Q is a skillshot spear toss.
  • E lets you move slowly while channeling it.
  • R now turns you into a meteor where you land at a specified point and then continue on for a short while.
  • Passive still looks like it gives you the shield block, but it also changes the icon of your abilities, which makes me think it's empowering them somehow. Best guess is that you gain some sort of defensive bonus while your passive is up, and your next ability is empowered, but it goes away after that ability use.
The redesign otherwise looks pretty sick. They managed to keep the basic Sparta Man aesthetic while making him fit in stylistically with the rest of the Targon Ascended.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Ask me what it's like to roll seven Elises by the start of the first PVP round and hit the poor idiot in second place for 20 damage on round 2-4.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Vermain posted:

News from Riot's other game: a Pantheon rework "Making Of" video. Highlights of the rework are:
  • Q now seems to have a dual cast mechanic ala Pyke Q, where a tap is a simple stab and the charged Q is a skillshot spear toss.
  • E lets you move slowly while channeling it.
  • R now turns you into a meteor where you land at a specified point and then continue on for a short while.
  • Passive still looks like it gives you the shield block, but it also changes the icon of your abilities, which makes me think it's empowering them somehow. Best guess is that you gain some sort of defensive bonus while your passive is up, and your next ability is empowered, but it goes away after that ability use.
The redesign otherwise looks pretty sick. They managed to keep the basic Sparta Man aesthetic while making him fit in stylistically with the rest of the Targon Ascended.

The dev has no idea what the gently caress made Pantheon fun to play and this is going to loving suck but he looks new and shiny and has skillshots and a ton of conditionals and gimmicks instead of a straightforward gameplay hell yeah

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pantheon was the god of war but we don’t want him to be too godly. Shut right the gently caress up. All that detail with battle damage seems like it’d be lost on character models with league perspective.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Servaetes posted:

The dev has no idea what the gently caress made Pantheon fun to play and this is going to loving suck but he looks new and shiny and has skillshots and a ton of conditionals and gimmicks instead of a straightforward gameplay hell yeah

I honestly can't stand the overcomplication of all the new characters/reworks. Basic-rear end old characters 4 lyfe

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Panth just needs a visual update and otherwise left the gently caress alone.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Can't do it, need some mealymouth dork to say the changes will represent greater ~skill expression~ for a champion that was completely and totally fine and that's good, change good, old bad

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He doesn't seem THAT different

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Having not seen the complete kit it remains to be seen but making his Q a skillshot in the vein of Pyke is a massive change

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's happened to everybody with a champion-targeted ranged attack who gets reworked, hasn't it? I don't think they want their game to do that anymore

e: actually i think annie at least has one. nvm I'm wrong.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Fiddle count?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Servaetes posted:

He still has point and click cc it just means you have to actually skirmish now instead of throwing spears until your mana runs out. They made him the God of war he's supposed to be rather than the God of big arrows.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pantheon was fine imo.

Also I've been leveling before the first pvp round every time and then leveling pretty early for the next level too. Usually it lets me Streak into 8+ wins and I get massively ahead. Though my focus on early champions and items leads to me being second or third place each time

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
If they remove the blocking mechanic from pantheon, everyone who played him before will never play him again. The best part of pantheon was perfectly timing everything, fighting some adc at full health when you have 10hp and winning because of SKILL

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Pantheon theme music is :krad:, but his old splash art had more personality. New one looks exactly like prestige blood moon Aatrox.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
those animations look like loving rear end. usually they get stuff like that right but the video where hes just repeatedly stunning and wailing on a target dummy is awful

the ult seems kinda neat if it means he has a faster delivery time than 40 seconds

q being a skillshot was a given which is why anyone who likes the champ has been dreading this rework forever

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 29, 2019

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I’m sad they’re changing Panth. I’ll miss the free lane that comes from taking second wind and starting cloth armor plus potions against Pantheon’s that are used to spamming Q on cool down.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Changes seem good actually.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

He doesn't seem THAT different

watch the video and listen to the la gauge this guy is using. he is not coming out of a place of care for panth... he thinks pantheons design is poo poo and wants to replace it with something completely different. he fundamentally dismissed the idea of pantheon and says he would rather have this “skill expression” champion. this is pantheon for people that hate pantheon

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The only thing that is poo poo about Panths current design is it's way too hard to go AP only and have massive Chaos Dunks

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

watch the video and listen to the la gauge this guy is using. he is not coming out of a place of care for panth... he thinks pantheons design is poo poo and wants to replace it with something completely different. he fundamentally dismissed the idea of pantheon and says he would rather have this “skill expression” champion. this is pantheon for people that hate pantheon

How is it completely different? Q is a skillshot, which people have been predicting would happen for at least five years now. The ult has a cool new hitbox. Seems really minor

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

How is it completely different? Q is a skillshot, which people have been predicting would happen for at least five years now. The ult has a cool new hitbox. Seems really minor

the design intent is different, the skills look similar(and mechanically honestly they seem fun to play with), but the focus of their rework is to make pantheon less sharp, more mechanically varied, and have more options rather than just bullying hard and going for early game dominance.

this seems fine, but that is the opposite of why people pick pantheon. people want to play a very simple champion that exists to be incredibly aggressive, one that falls off and tries to win the game early by snowballing and becoming a menace.

to clarify, new pantheon looks great, and i am not a pantheon player. but this rework to me seems like “pantheon for non pantheon players”, and the entire rework video came across as tone deaf and insulting to the concerns of actual pantheon players.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It seems like he'll still go for early game dominance?? He'll probably play exactly the same, you just have to aim Q. You could probably punish people even harder if you're good at it

He'll still win lane -> ult bot -> build full damage -> win in 18 minutes -> promote your Elo boosting service in postgame chat

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

It seems like he'll still go for early game dominance?? He'll probably play exactly the same, you just have to aim Q. You could probably punish people even harder if you're good at it

He'll still win lane -> ult bot -> build full damage -> win in 18 minutes -> promote your Elo boosting service in postgame chat

if that is the case, hopefully, then i will be happy. i am not commenting on the quality of the rework, just the language used by the guy designing it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

kingcobweb posted:

that’s why he’s completely different. you don’t play pantheon you dont understand

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Verviticus posted:

that’s why he’s completely different. you don’t play pantheon you dont understand

I have mastery 5 pantheon my guy

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Tbh I'm still upset about the graves rework

Give me back my botlane fightman

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

I have mastery 5 pantheon my guy

as i said, not a pantheon player

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

gently caress Skillshots(tm)

Pantheon is and always should be the man whom kill you if he click on you. No flexibility, no crazy ~but our high elo players :qq:~ skillshots, just one brutal combo taped together with a great passive and ult. The game is allowed to have simple characters be effective, Riot

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 29, 2019

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Verviticus posted:

as i said, not a pantheon player

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I think if Q was still point and click then the weird shield thing would be fine.

I like the ult change.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

gently caress Skillshots(tm)

The game is allowed to have simple characters be effective, Riot

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Remember when everyone flipped out that they were making Warwick incredibly complicated and why can't the game have simple characters and UGH THEY'RE MAKING WARWICK A CERTAINLYT CHAMP and he's actually infinitely more fun to play now

The new champs they're making are definitely too complex and high-skill-cap-broken-in-pro-awful-in-regular-games way too often, but this does not seem like one of those cases??

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

nobody said they were making him too complicated for bad players. they're just taking a champion that was fine and making him not the champion that's fine. make a new champion with these abilities i dont give a poo poo

they hosed up catastrophically with aatrox and akali, stop remaking champions entirely imo. new warwicks arent worth it

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 29, 2019

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Old Aatrox and Akali were terrible designs too, they basically didn't exist unless their items were broken and when they were good they were insufferable to play vs

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

So uh, I just had to do it. Only thing keeping me from FULLY ASCENDING was I couldn't find another leona :(

260 armor, magic immune, thornmail shyvana did just fine though.

https://imgur.com/a/lOMkOIW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Wow I’m so glad guardians are getting buffed