Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
The Tories have been itching to do this since Stormont was first agreed on and they won't give it up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Hardly. Stormont could sit again tomorrow if SF dropped their pre-conditions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Irish problem: solved.

https://twitter.com/MichaelPeterAnt/status/1155751505070362624?s=20

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/stuartmillar159/status/1155798934893281280

lol

He needs the extra rooms to store his box bus collection.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://twitter.com/stuartmillar159/status/1155798934893281280

lol

He needs the extra rooms to store his box bus collection.

The most Boris part of that is The Saj has a wife and four kids but the flat about Number 10 is only a two bed so his chancellor is commuting in from Fulham

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Bryter posted:

Hardly. Stormont could sit again tomorrow if SF dropped their pre-conditions.

Yeah it could sit again if the DUP agreed to them too.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Doccykins posted:

The most Boris part of that is The Saj has a wife and four kids but the flat about Number 10 is only a two bed so his chancellor is commuting in from Fulham

He doesn't want anyone to hear what goes on between him and his girlfriend. Again.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Ape Fist posted:

Yeah it could sit again if the DUP agreed to them too.

Not really relevant to the point, which is that the imposition of direct rule is unlikely to get republicans digging up their armalites when they have a far simpler route to getting Stormont back up and running.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
At this point SF is probably low key happy to wait until the abortion/legalised gay marriage thing rolls in before they make concessions to restore Stormont. Meanwhile the DUP is lobbying for even more Public funding at Westminster which is nice but every year we have to spend £500,000,000 reseeding the grass around Ballymena after the 12th, and re-planting the lawn at city Hall every week.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/MichaelPeterAnt/status/1155751505070362624

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

shared that tweet with my dipshit brexiteer acquaintance and he no poo poo did a completely unironic imitation of grover's iraq prognostications and thinks it's a good idea lmao what is wrong with people

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im pretty sure in this fantasy world naito would stamp on the uk’s balls real loving hard

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

hailthefish posted:

shared that tweet with my dipshit brexiteer acquaintance and he no poo poo did a completely unironic imitation of grover's iraq prognostications and thinks it's a good idea lmao what is wrong with people

If I were in charge of the UK I would simply invade every country, without bloodshed or resistance

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i would simply solve the border backstop by conquering ireland and eating their babies

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

im pretty sure in this fantasy world naito would stamp on the uk’s balls real loving hard

It probably wouldn't even require any kind of military counter action. The UK would probably find itself entirely alone in the world economically, have all of its offshore accounts immediately frozen, and be sanctioned so hard the internal economy would collapse in days. Worst case scenario the US deploys half of its navy into the Irish Sea.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

that's one way to avoid having a border in ireland, I suppose

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

Mental illness is widespread on levels that no one wants to admit so we all go 'lol smooth brains'. I guess the fact we have no idea what could be causing it is scary. In the 80's it was lead. What is it now? Social media? Is social media more neurotoxic than lead?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

personally i choose to blame it on post-cold-war end-of-history syndrome

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is social media more neurotoxic than lead?
probably about the same

also no doubt one of the modern materials that has been invented and used as part of some every day object is toxic in a way that takes years to manifest and is slowly killing us all, and in 200 years schoolchildren will be horrified when their teachers tell them that we all gave ourselves brain damage with it(in the bombed out Lidl that serves as the local schoolhouse following the End Times)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Regarde Aduck posted:

Mental illness is widespread on levels that no one wants to admit so we all go 'lol smooth brains'. I guess the fact we have no idea what could be causing it is scary. In the 80's it was lead. What is it now? Social media? Is social media more neurotoxic than lead?

If it's boomers (it usually is) then it's still lead

Younger smooth brains are probably just on the normal idiot distribution curve of a population, combined with ignorance of the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

:capitalism:

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Goddam I would love to see that. The US would flatten the UK into a pancake with all the Brit-chuds whimpering 'Daddy Trump whyyyy'.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

every year capitalism becomes more invasive into our lives, tears apart communal and social bonds and alienates and atomizes people further and further, out of the necessity for continued growth. every social interaction must be monetized, everything we do must produce a greater and greater profit or the house of cards collapses. every relationship must be first and foremost financial, even the most basic bonds such as family and marriage. this unnatural state obviously damages us.

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Jul 29, 2019

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

a neurotic ai posted:

Goddam I would love to see that. The US would flatten the UK into a pancake with all the Brit-chuds whimpering 'Daddy Trump whyyyy'.

I don't think this is true.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

every year capitalism becomes more invasive into our lives, tears apart communal and social bonds and alienates and atomizes people further and further, out of the necessity for continued growth. every social interaction must be monetized, everything we do must produce a greater and greater profit or the house of cards collapses. every relationship must be first and foremost financial, even the most basic bonds such as family and marriage. this unnatural state tears obviously damages us.

Glibness aside it's absolutely this. Late capitalist society (ok capitalism in general) is inimical to human life

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I don't think this is true.

Isn't the Irish pride thing quite big in the US? It's even been said that there will be no trade deal if the GFA is compromised.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

like a third of white people say theyre irish so yeah you'd probably get a suddenly upwelling of weird irish pride to nuke london or something

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

a neurotic ai posted:

Isn't the Irish pride thing quite big in the US? It's even been said that there will be no trade deal if the GFA is compromised.

The Irish lobby in the US is powerful. (Disclaimer: I live in the Boston area, so I'm seeing things through a green lens.)

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Dear prime minister johnson, my name is Sheamus McMurphy and I am an 7 year old boy from Drogheda. I am very sad because the Varadkar Government does not let us go across the border to buy fireworks. Please use your army to save the people of Ireland and I will be your friend.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a neurotic ai posted:

My theory is that the UK will get no trade deal, because Donald Trump betrays everyone who relies on him

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

prefect posted:

The Irish lobby in the US is powerful. (Disclaimer: I live in the Boston area, so I'm seeing things through a green lens.)

It's powerful at sitting on it's hole and funding gangsters but that's about as far as it has ever gone. I can't see it changing much regardless of the stupid hypotheticals.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the most the Irish Americans will do is maybe funnel guns into the country, more likely they'll get grifted for Irish pride poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

It's powerful at sitting on it's hole and funding gangsters but that's about as far as it has ever gone. I can't see it changing much regardless of the stupid hypotheticals.

I remember when Sinn Fein was considered a terrorist group in the UK, they were having fundraisers openly here, which confused the heck out of me as a kid.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

It's powerful enough that I could see the UK having things like a trade deal and other post-EU deals getting hosed up if Boris decides to directly gently caress with Ireland.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
britain's brexiest pm

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Does this idiot not know history? We would meet the British with fierce resistance like we did last time they invaded and once again be rid of them (kind of) within the millennium.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

a neurotic ai posted:

You are of course assuming that the Americans wouldn't support the UK in this.

I really don't see why you'd think that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

You are of course assuming that the Americans wouldn't support the UK in this.

I really don't see why you'd think that.

There are (were?) republicans in congress that fund raised for Sinn Fein. Friends of Sinn Fein is still one of their largest funding sources. The 2019 version of your "little armalite" is going to be "raytheon tow missile" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Troubles 2: The Problems