Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It does seem very late. Also seems non-ideal doing crowded high-speed manoeuvres with the sun in your eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Is it me or do they finish later than normal this year?

They've been doing late finishes since the 100nd Tour, haven't they?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Go on Greg

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
G'wan GVA.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Greg Van Havinthat

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Caleb Ewan’s sprints are really impressive, he just pops out of nowhere.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

phwoar, nice sprint. lol at ineos being directly behind it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good job Caleb.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sagan was about 8th. Didn't even look like he tried.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
What an amazing camera shot that was. With the late afternoon sun....beautiful.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy it when their graphics tell me that the guy passing another is travelling 3 kph slower.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Bernal is now like Wiggo, in that he's won 50% of the Grand Tours.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

OK, Bernal's victory speech ruled

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Really good tour by Lotto Soudal considering they didn't really have an actual GC rider

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
have they ever had a gc rider?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

teepo posted:

Van den Broeck was pretty handy for a year. Got top 5ish in about 2011?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wow, Movistar does it again. Who is going to stop the juggernaut?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just don't see how they can do it when Ineos get all three spots on the podium next year.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Eagerly hoping for some intra-team drama next year with bernal/froome both wanting leadership at le tour

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Allyn posted:

Van den Broeck was pretty handy for a year. Got top 5ish in about 2011?

de gendt has a giro podium too.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

teepo posted:

Cadel Evans for one

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Peter Sagan wins the points title, but is 82 in the GC. How does that work?

If someone is consistently getting points finishes, shouldn't they be a lot quicker than 2:45:00 behind the leader?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Peter Sagan wins the points title, but is 82 in the GC. How does that work?

If someone is consistently getting points finishes, shouldn't they be a lot quicker than 2:45:00 behind the leader?

To win GC, you need to not lose time on any stage. To win points, you can lose big time on as many days as you want, as long as you're beating all your rivals to the line in scoring points. Sagan had what, 4 or 5 50+ point days? He could get 0 on the rest and drift way back on total time.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

There is a much bigger finishing time gradient on mountain stages versus flat/hilly when comparing sprinters and GC riders.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Points are also picked up at intermediate sprints that don’t mean anything in the GC. The same goes for the polka dot jersey.

When I was a kid I never understood how someone could be the best climber and still not lead overall (often the GC leader is also the polka dot leader but not always). However, the riders competing for the polka dot jersey try to pick up climbing points at every climb. The GC guys don’t care about getting first over the early mountains in a stage. They only want to be in the front at the finish line.

Climbers and points people like Sagan also have a semi “rest day” on time trials, unlike the GC riders.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When it's a big sprint stage the peloton with the GC riders finishes just behind (unless there's been a fun split and a big breakaway). When it's a big mountain stage the sprinters are just trying to avoid the time cut.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Someone should explain these things to Nils Politt.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

goatface posted:

When it's a big sprint stage the peloton with the GC riders finishes just behind (unless there's been a fun split and a big breakaway). When it's a big mountain stage the sprinters are just trying to avoid the time cut.

On the sprint stages, any group that's together at 3 kms to the finish line all get the same finish time, so it's officially not even "just behind", it's all together at the same time (except for bonus time, but that has nothing to do with the clocked time).

Also, Sagan's 82nd is actually pretty good for a sprinter, the rest of the high points scorers (can't call them his competition since he didn't really have any) are all much lower than he is. Sagan wins the green because he also gets a lot of points on not quite flat stages and intermediate sprints. For a sprinter he's actually pretty drat good at getting through mountains, which he uses to his advantage.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When was the last time he even really needed to contest in Paris?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It’s outrageous that they let them just stop riding, I need some weekday afternoon entertainment. I’ll take a 250km transfer stage to Troyes right now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
other than San Sebastien, the break in meaningful races between the Tour and Vuelta is illegal and should be banned.

my proposal is a sixth monument with the climbs around Eibar, because the Basque deserve a monument race

peanut- posted:

It’s outrageous that they let them just stop riding, I need some weekday afternoon entertainment. I’ll take a 250km transfer stage to Troyes right now.

there's always the Volta a Portugal, a stage race which takes place in an alternate universe where EPO was never banned. RTP (the Portugese TV broadcaster) has region-free streaming

(the climbing numbers from the Volta are annually hilarious, there's a consistent rumor that WT teams don't like hiring Portugese riders because it's widely regarded as a country with an extremely dope-happy domestic scene)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 29, 2019

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There's RideLondon but the organisers are allergic to hills/think Box Hill is a hill because it has 'hill' in the name so it'll be a garbage procession to a sprint for The Richest One Day Race Prize or whatever

Vando fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 29, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RideLondon is basically a post-tour crit except not rigged. It's just an excuse to see the WT/TdF stars in a major city, not really a race to actually watch.

Of course it's on the WT calendar because the WT calendar makes no sense, but that's nothing new.

(to be honest, I'm surprised the US hasn't gone the city circuit route. i mean, they're usually bad unless it's a really hilly course like Montjuic Park or something, but I always figured it'd be a better way to get people to see the WT stars than a week stage race)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 29, 2019

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There ain't any big hills in the south east. It's all rolling or drained wetland.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vando posted:

There's RideLondon but the organisers are allergic to hills/think Box Hill is a hill because it has 'hill' in the name so it'll be a garbage procession to a sprint for The Richest One Day Race Prize or whatever

Box hill is such a let down , it's barely 5% if you ignore the hair pins which falls solidly under the rolling hills category of climbing

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

goatface posted:

There ain't any big hills in the south east. It's all rolling or drained wetland.

Yeah but you could at least make them climb a few 20% cliffs a few times instead of doing laps of Box loving Hill until everyone is firmly asleep

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My Colombian friend said that his family and other fans over there are for some reason really into Rigo this year, and they're happy he got top 10 (and nicked Quintana to boot).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Feels Villeneuve posted:

a post-tour crit except not rigged.

Out of interest, what are the post TdF events that various riders are expected to go to?

Also I'm aware those events are rigged to have a specific winner, who is expected to win on those post TdF events?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think generally either the TDF winner or a home country star wins those, post-tour criteriums are great if you want to see Carlos Sastre beat Mark Cavendish in a head-to-head sprint. It's all determined by whoever organizes the race thinks would satisfy the crowds the most.

e) First result I could find, in a Belgian criterium in Aalst, it was Remco Evenepoel (the Junior world champion and already winning senior-level races like the Tour of Belgium, so he's a big rising star for Belgians), beating Egan Bernal and Laurens de Plus (who's from Aalst).

Searching the UCI calendar has the post-tour crits on them, mostly in towns in France/Germany/Netherlands/Belgium. Can't find entry lists, unfortunately. (amusingly, post-tour criteriums have to be registered UCI events, even though UCI rules outlaw fixed races).

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/NievesMoya/status/1155476640153198594