Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If I wanted a book or series that was as close to the Dominions computer game series as possible, if not in content then aesthetic/feel, would there be any good options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

If I wanted a book or series that was as close to the Dominions computer game series as possible, if not in content then aesthetic/feel, would there be any good options

Maybe describe the content/aesthetic to us, so we understand what the appeal to you is?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finally finished my personal physical-book-to-epub creation project. It was harder than it should have been for a few factors.
1-Did not use any OCR scanning options, for various reasons (massive book damage/un-trusted smartphone OCR apps/loss of book via donation to OpenLibrary project/etc).
2-Tried to import the original formatting and typeface settings of the physical book into the epub version as much as possible. (bad time wasting call #1)
3-Physical book used outdated regionalized slang + outdated spelling variations of words, all of which were kept unchanged in the epub version.
4-Feel like I should emphasize how much of a pain in the rear end doing #3 was once I add in the onomatopoeia neologisms.
5-One of the stories was so unpleasant in main character/the sense of decay (intentionally) pervading it I could only transcribe one or two pages per session with loooong breaks in-between.

on-topic posting:
WARNING:John Barnes isn't a author who writes 'happy normal' stuff. :WARNING
John Barnes can(and will) go extremely dark and messed the gently caress up, best comparison of John Barnes to a still active author is probably Peter Watts. Only invision a non-footnote obsessed + non-quasi-scientific grounding obsessed Peter Watts, with 3x the brain fuckery + rape inside Barnes stories.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Megazver posted:

Maybe describe the content/aesthetic to us, so we understand what the appeal to you is?
Ancient-looking sprites, in bulk. Animated sprites? Nah.

Gods, who may be a super powerful wizard, a beefy dragon, a cthulhu, or a statue, warring over which god gets to ascend to be the big one and remake the world in their image. Each god has a nation made up of various fantasy archetypes, like knights and poo poo, tree-huggers, dwarves, deep ones, everyone's dead but don't worry we can summon a lot of skeletons, and so on. They alter the world around them as they spread their dominion, so if the frost giant rear end in a top hat's taking lots of ground then things get colder. They have a lot of strong magic, up to and including "all you other gods and nations liked having a sun, right?"

But I'm not them. I don't even play any more.

Edit: actually, The March North by Graydon Saunders. Ish. The sequels leave behind the military fantasy for students doing civic engineering while setting up a new wizard school because their magic potential was missed when they were young and they're probably going to have their brains explode if they can't figure out a new way of learning poo poo.

This recommendation includes the opening to the first chapter, which may trigger your Dominions sense.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 29, 2019

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Gods, who may be a super powerful wizard, a beefy dragon, a cthulhu, or a statue, warring over which god gets to ascend to be the big one and remake the world in their image. Each god has a nation made up of various fantasy archetypes, like knights and poo poo, tree-huggers, dwarves, deep ones, everyone's dead but don't worry we can summon a lot of skeletons, and so on. They alter the world around them as they spread their dominion, so if the frost giant rear end in a top hat's taking lots of ground then things get colder. They have a lot of strong magic, up to and including "all you other gods and nations liked having a sun, right?"

Based on that setting synopsis: Immediately remembered David Eddings Belgariad series. Then remembered the other 2 times Eddings rewrote his Belgariad series.
Hey, authors have mortgages and medical bills and lawsuits to pay off like normal people too

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Based on that setting synopsis: Immediately remembered David Eddings Belgariad series. Then remembered the other 2 times Eddings rewrote his Belgariad series.
Hey, authors have mortgages and medical bills and lawsuits to pay off like normal people too

Was going to do an and Leigh edit to this and went to check how to spell her name and...

quote:

They adopted one boy in 1966, Scott David. They adopted a younger girl between 1966 and 1969. In 1969 they lost custody of both children and each were sentenced to a year in jail from separate trials after pleading guilty to child abuse.

What the gently caress? I had no idea. Get your poo poo together fantasy authors from my childhood.

With regards to the recommendation 90s Cringe Rock's description just screams Malazan to me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I swear I'll read Malazan one of these days and not just stall out in Book 2. It's not like I don't really want to.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Malazan is kinda a generic suggestion here. Otherwise I guess Dragonlance or WFB might fit the description. Or novelizations of Warcraft for that matter.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Edit: actually, The March North by Graydon Saunders. Ish. The sequels leave behind the military fantasy for students doing civic engineering while setting up a new wizard school because their magic potential was missed when they were young and they're probably going to have their brains explode if they can't figure out a new way of learning poo poo.

This recommendation includes the opening to the first chapter, which may trigger your Dominions sense.

Graydon Saunders is self published, which one painfully realizes in the sequels which are boring and tedious as gently caress. First book have clear first author book syndrome and clearly needed an editor.
Also, the amount of times Saunders show up in this thread makes me wonder if someone here is doing selfpromotion.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I just mention him whenever I remember he exists and is vaguely relevant to the current topic, because I like his books. Even the sequels.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

Was going to do an and Leigh edit to this and went to check how to spell her name and...

What the gently caress? I had no idea. Get your poo poo together fantasy authors from my childhood.

With regards to the recommendation 90s Cringe Rock's description just screams Malazan to me.

Eddings had super creepy situations in all his books. How many had a goddess who appeared as a child and wanted all the kisses off the gruff manly heroes? Garions wife was described as tiny childlike flat chest etc. In the Elenium doesn't the gruff dishonoured knight dude save his charge who he had raised from child, but she was dtf and tried to put her off but she was just so darned hot. Also a jewish child goddess who loves him and yes, wants all the kisses.

It's all right there.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah. SHODAN re-examines... re-ex... re-re-re... I re-examine my priorities, and draw new conclusions. Kill off personal nostalgia, and re-examine your growing up fiction/game faves, and draw new conclusions. System Shock 1 still holds up, btw (no classes or weapons degradation dragging it down. The SS1 cyberspace segments do the dragging down instead).

If you're gonna recommend Malazan which is super confusing at first, with most of the Dominion game style stuff existing in alternative dimensions the Malazan books rarely visit, then I get to recommend Palladium Games RIFTS novels + RIFTS sourcebooks. Dominion games are computerized RTS/TB versions of RIFTS world/region conflicts.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
And the Dryads. Holy poo poo they were problematic.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I think David Eddings wrote his own Wikipedia entry before he died

quote:

Eddings's call to the world of fantasy came from a doodled map he drew one morning before work. This doodle later became the geographical basis for the country of Aloria, but Eddings did not realize it until several years later. Eddings' story of this was that upon seeing a copy of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, in a bookshop, he muttered, "Is this old turkey still floating around?", and was shocked to learn that it was in its seventy-eighth printing. Eddings realized that the world of fantasy might hold some promise for his talents, and immediately began to annotate his previously forgotten doodle.Over the course of a year he added names to various kingdoms, races and characters, and invented various theologies and a mythology, all of which counted about 230 pages. Because Lord of the Rings had been published as three books, he genuinely believed fantasy in general was supposed to be trilogies. Which is why he intended The Belgariad to be a trilogy as well, and had it all laid out, when his editor Lester Del Rey told him the booksellers would refuse to accept 600-page books.

my dad always tried to get me to read The Belgariad and I could never get past the first few chapters :/

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The one Eddings fan I know asked me for recommendations once. I asked for some of their other favourites, and got MZB and Goodkind.

I don't think my recommendations were well-received.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The one Eddings fan I know asked me for recommendations once. I asked for some of their other favourites, and got MZB and Goodkind.

I don't think my recommendations were well-received.

Oh god, did they love Piers Anthony too?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Dammit Eddingses, you were my introduction to fantasy. Didn't want to start my day with that info.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh god, did they love Piers Anthony too?
I hope not.

Possibly.

No, middle-aged MBA housedivorcee can't possibly have been in that demographic growing up, I pray, increasingly nervously. gently caress, I'm going to have to assemble a physical reading package for Christmas this year, some of it might get read that way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gravy Jones posted:

Welp

I'm gonna tell myself that if it was just a one year sentence it probably wasn't sexual abuse at least, just good old fashioned physical abuse or maybe neglect.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cardiac posted:

Graydon Saunders is self published, which one painfully realizes in the sequels which are boring and tedious as gently caress. First book have clear first author book syndrome and clearly needed an editor.

Ironic because that wasn't his first book, which (The Human Dress), is the only non-Commonweal book of his.

Also hard disagree on the boring and tedious descriptions, but tastes they do vary.

Cardiac posted:

Also, the amount of times Saunders show up in this thread makes me wonder if someone here is doing selfpromotion.

Honestly it's a pretty good recommendation for Dominions.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Steven Erikson's Malazan, at least a few books in when the Ascendants really start doing stuff, sorta hits that feel.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm gonna tell myself that if it was just a one year sentence it probably wasn't sexual abuse at least, just good old fashioned physical abuse or maybe neglect.

Yeah, but not great.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 29, 2019

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

ulmont posted:

Yeah, but not great.

:piss:

How was that only a one year sentence?

I remember reading the Eddings' 'how-we-wrote-our-books' book as a kid, and in it there was a claim that David left a teaching job after the administrators got a pay raise but the teachers didn't. I uhhh guess there could have been other reasons, assuming the dates line up. If I recall right, they moved and he started working in a grocery store again.

They made tens of millions of dollars on their books, judging by the bequests they left after David's death.

How much fantasy is written by monsters? We have a whole thread on the subject. Maybe the third Baru book should be the Author Baru Cormorant.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sarern posted:

I remember reading the Eddings' 'how-we-wrote-our-books' book as a kid, and in it there was a claim that David left a teaching job after the administrators got a pay raise but the teachers didn't. I uhhh guess there could have been other reasons, assuming the dates line up. If I recall right, they moved and he started working in a grocery store again.

They made tens of millions of dollars on their books, judging by the bequests they left after David's death.

He was a bad to mediocre writer who found out that fantasy sold and thus wrote the Belgariad, then rewrote that story for the rest of his career. He lied a lot about his motivations and stuff. He admitted his venality at one point. I wouldn't be shocked to find out he lied about other things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

Yeah, but not great.

I'm just gonna decide right now that that type is too small for me to read.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm just gonna decide right now that that type is too small for me to read.
Here, go ahead and zoom as much as you'd like.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Turns out Torak was Eddings all along. In that light seems like Garion was actually the villain of the novels.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Well, I wish I hadn't now. gently caress that poo poo. Some people will defend anything and the dialog around abuse and trial-by-internet can be pretty toxic, but it's hard to believe they would have had a succesful mainstream career as popular and beloved authors in a decade other than when local news usually stayed local. Pretty glad my kid didn't like the first couple of chapters of the first Belgeriad book and gave it a hard pass, now.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 29, 2019

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

This is why I said "Kill off personal nostalgia, and re-examine your growing up fiction/game faves, and draw new conclusions."....and also why I wanted that new flashman fiction thread to have the "literalSexCrimes: no one published is without blame" alt text.

Maybe two or three fantasy fiction series I'd read growing up has held up after a re-read in middle age. Amazingly, the freaking original Dragonlance books held up shockingly well while other later books/series by those same authors did not, aka the notStarWars series + D&D-deconstructed series because I'm not wasting braincells/energy looking up their real series names.
Chris Stasheff's Wizard series + spinoffs also held up decently on a re-read because he kept things light + family/kid friendly as much as possible in those books. Third fantasy series that held up after a re-read was, uh umm hmmmm....Lord of the Rings?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The Chad Jihad posted:

The Raven Tower gave me a strong Dominions feel. The gods of that setting are very much in the Pretenders vein, and the chapters revolving around them are, at least IMO, the best part of the book.

Hell, the narrator is straight-up a Pretender chassis, and made me want to do a game as a Strength and Patience of the Hills-themed big-stone-head.

mewse
May 2, 2006

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

This is why I said "Kill off personal nostalgia, and re-examine your growing up fiction/game faves, and draw new conclusions."....and also why I wanted that new flashman fiction thread to have the "literalSexCrimes: no one published is without blame" alt text.

Maybe two or three fantasy fiction series I'd read growing up has held up after a re-read in middle age. Amazingly, the freaking original Dragonlance books held up shockingly well while other later books/series by those same authors did not, aka the notStarWars series + D&D-deconstructed series because I'm not wasting braincells/energy looking up their real series names.
Chris Stasheff's Wizard series + spinoffs also held up decently on a re-read because he kept things light + family/kid friendly as much as possible in those books. Third fantasy series that held up after a re-read was, uh umm hmmmm....Lord of the Rings?

I read a dragonlance novel as a kid because it was the largest slab of book in the library, and my chances of figuring out which book it was are approximately zero

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ulmont posted:

Ironic because that wasn't his first book, which (The Human Dress), is the only non-Commonweal book of his.

Also hard disagree on the boring and tedious descriptions, but tastes they do vary.

I really liked the Commonweal books (even the less-interesting 2&3), not so much The Human Dress. There was a good core of vikings+dinosaurs+zombies in there but it needed someone to force Saunders to figure out just exactly what book he was trying to write.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mewse posted:

I read a dragonlance novel as a kid because it was the largest slab of book in the library, and my chances of figuring out which book it was are approximately zero

My school library had the entire Dragons of Season Whatever series and I read them all.

The solitary thing I remember from them now is the scene where a wizard falls off a tower and is halfway through casting Feather Fall when he splats, causing him to explode in a shower of feathers on impact.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
So now I'm investigating Dragonlance because it's been decades but I had fond memories and seem to recall the moral ambiguity (which I guess is what you get when you stick to D&D alignments) being a bit ahead of it's time for mass market paperbacks and stumbled across... WTF part II, but at least this one doesn't involve child abuse.

Glad to find that Keifer was Raistlin. Fred Tatasciore, Dee Bradley Baker and Phil Lamarr in it as well.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 29, 2019

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fried Sushi posted:

In that light seems like Garion was actually the villain of the novels.

The way I remember the books, the protagonists weren't exactly 'heroes'.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Sarern posted:

:piss:

How was that only a one year sentence?

1970. Do note the scare quotes around "child abuse" too.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

C.M. Kruger posted:

1970. Do note the scare quotes around "child abuse" too.

I think that was the stylistic equivalent to "alleged" to avoid being sued for libel if they'd been exonerated.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gravy Jones posted:

So now I'm investigating Dragonlance because it's been decades but I had fond memories and seem to recall the moral ambiguity (which I guess is what you get when you stick to D&D alignments) being a bit ahead of it's time for mass market paperbacks and stumbled across... WTF part II, but at least this one doesn't involve child abuse.

Glad to find that Keifer was Raistlin. Fred Tatasciore, Dee Bradley Baker and Phil Lamarr in it as well.

Huh, I remember Will Meugniot as a minor-league comics artist in the 80s. Looking him up, he's apparently got extensive animation credits as well, which would explain this.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Collateral posted:

Eddings had super creepy situations in all his books. How many had a goddess who appeared as a child and wanted all the kisses off the gruff manly heroes? Garions wife was described as tiny childlike flat chest etc. In the Elenium doesn't the gruff dishonoured knight dude save his charge who he had raised from child, but she was dtf and tried to put her off but she was just so darned hot. Also a jewish child goddess who loves him and yes, wants all the kisses.

It's all right there.

Man, I remembered the like fantasy race science throughout the series but I totally missed this "subtext"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Pierce Brown good or bad?

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Affi posted:

I'd put them on the tier above airplane fiction. Fun reads but don't take it too seriously. That being said i've also preordered every release.

Only thing I really dislike about the Red Rising series is is the loving name Mustang. It's so out of place. Reminds me when Ian Cameron Esselmont started writing Malazan novels and had a character named Kyle. Compared to people like Anomander Rake and Dassem Ultor it's just really jarring. I know it's a bit of a pathetic thing to moan about but it just erks me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Affi posted:

Readable and entertaining without being anything special. Try Red Rising if you don't like it then don't read any further because although the storyline changes, e.g. Book 1 is very much an Enders Game style "Battle school for teenage prodigies" type book albeit set in an authoritarian universe with genetically engineered superhumans but this doesn't continue to other books, it won't really improve or get worse.