Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Do we have a thread for posting 3D modeling/animation demo reels? I recently finished my first 3D environment/asset modeling reel and was curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
My daughter is into drawing, mostly pencil/color pencil with some charcoals and pastels. She picked out a new desk this week but it has a textured surface that she isn't sure will work for drawing.

What would you fine art folks recommend to use as a drawing surface to go on top of a desk? Something soft like a cutting mat or a blotter, or hard like a sheet of MDF? Something else?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

My daughter is into drawing, mostly pencil/color pencil with some charcoals and pastels. She picked out a new desk this week but it has a textured surface that she isn't sure will work for drawing.

What would you fine art folks recommend to use as a drawing surface to go on top of a desk? Something soft like a cutting mat or a blotter, or hard like a sheet of MDF? Something else?

You could do either, really, it just comes down to personal preference. A blotter or cutting mat is really good for writing with ballpoint pens, but I prefer a harder surface like melamine-faced mdf when working with pencils and other softer media. All the big box home improvement stores seem to have some brand of customizable shelving system which almost always has big sheets of melamine-faced mdf.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I've got a stupid little question.

I'm not an artist and have only a slightly more than passive interest in it. I went down a YouTube rabbit hole last night where I ended up watching different people digitally draw & paint and I noticed what I would call two different "styles" and I'm not sure what the different styles are called and would like help in defining what they are and maybe given some more concrete terms that I can use when searching for similar things on the internet.

One "style" I observed seemed to be used by the majority of channels / people. They would create a piece by first sketching out a form and then on a different layer refining that shape, and then another layer they would start to rough in colors, etc. And over the course of time and additional photoshop layers would end up with a fully painted piece. This style seems very much a "pencil" first approach and grounded in drawing skill.

The other "style" I observed I would liken to more of how I think a traditional painter would work (or maybe not?). They would skip the sketching and refinement stages almost entirely. They would use thick brushes that I can only guess were semi-transparent and layer their strokes to create darker strokes and the piece would start off almost entirely like it was going to be completely abstract but over the course of layering their brush strokes over each other different shapes would emerge and they would tighten up the silhouettes. Sometimes these were done almost completely in greyscale but not always. Only once they had strong silhouettes they would come in with erasers and thinner brushes and put in the details. And then once that was all done they would start to really put effort into coloring it. This style seems more painterly and "brush" over "pencil".

What is that last "style" called exactly? My off the cuff understanding is the first "style" is more methodical and construction like and the second one seems more like freehand. But are there real technical terms for these diverging approaches?

Thanks.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 26, 2019

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

How often does scrivener go on sale? Google shows me there was a sale for 50% off, but I was wondering if that was a common thing. I'm using Google Docs, but I wouldn't mind trying it out just to see, and I want more than a week.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, I can't be the first person with this need so I'm sure a solution exists:

https://imgur.com/a/3TZ0do5

I've moved into a new place which has a drafting table, but I have no idea how to keep a sketchpad stationary. If it was just a board or a sheet of paper, I could tape it down, but it's kind of awkward and unwieldy for a sketchpad, especially my thicker ones. I can't clip the sketchpad to the table because the sides are too far for comfort and the top is too high to work from, and moreover, the surface is too thick for a clip anyway.

The solution I'm imagining is some kind of ruler-thin horizontal bar that clamps firmly onto the sides of the table (presumably the width is somehow adjustable too, to allow for different sizes of table), and which I can slide up and down on the surface, and is just thick enough to support the sketchbook without getting in the way of my hand. But if this is a thing, I have no idea what it's called or what it actually looks like.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Blutac?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

T3hRen3gade posted:

Do we have a thread for posting 3D modeling/animation demo reels? I recently finished my first 3D environment/asset modeling reel and was curious.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877226

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Argue posted:

Okay, I can't be the first person with this need so I'm sure a solution exists:

https://imgur.com/a/3TZ0do5

I've moved into a new place which has a drafting table, but I have no idea how to keep a sketchpad stationary. If it was just a board or a sheet of paper, I could tape it down, but it's kind of awkward and unwieldy for a sketchpad, especially my thicker ones. I can't clip the sketchpad to the table because the sides are too far for comfort and the top is too high to work from, and moreover, the surface is too thick for a clip anyway.

The solution I'm imagining is some kind of ruler-thin horizontal bar that clamps firmly onto the sides of the table (presumably the width is somehow adjustable too, to allow for different sizes of table), and which I can slide up and down on the surface, and is just thick enough to support the sketchbook without getting in the way of my hand. But if this is a thing, I have no idea what it's called or what it actually looks like.

Clamp a long ruler or thin board to either side?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m looking into getting into relief printing using wood engraving and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for quality gouges to use? I didn’t see any printing threads so sorry if I missed it!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Any goon preferred source for making a blog?

Basically I just want to read books, and then write up little book reports on a blog.

Thoughts?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m looking into getting into relief printing using wood engraving and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for quality gouges to use? I didn’t see any printing threads so sorry if I missed it!

Are you talking about end-grain engraving, or regular old carving? I think wood engravers are special tools related to metal engraving, and I don’t know about those. Otherwise you’re thinking carving gouges, and the question is “how much do you want to spend?”

Flexcut tools seems to be popular, and are fairly low-investment. Real serious gouges can easily start at $35/tool.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Are you talking about end-grain engraving, or regular old carving? I think wood engravers are special tools related to metal engraving, and I don’t know about those. Otherwise you’re thinking carving gouges, and the question is “how much do you want to spend?”

Flexcut tools seems to be popular, and are fairly low-investment. Real serious gouges can easily start at $35/tool.

I have looked at Flexcut already but what are some of the more serious gouges out there? I’m willing to invest more in tools

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I have looked at Flexcut already but what are some of the more serious gouges out there? I’m willing to invest more in tools

If you're talking about end-grain engraving, I don't know if any of the following applies.

I get pfeil Swiss made from woodcraft, though there are plenty of other brands out there. They come in sets, but those sets are more tuned to sculptural carving; the needs of carving for printmaking are much more limited. My core set is a 2mm #12 v-gouge (for sharp details and corners), a 3mm #9 gouge (general carving in tight places), and a 7mm Japanese gouge that I think works out to around #5 or #6 (for removing material and carving around lines in open space). I believe traditional Japanese block carving uses knives a lot for outlining but I haven't used any.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

If you're talking about end-grain engraving, I don't know if any of the following applies.

I get pfeil Swiss made from woodcraft, though there are plenty of other brands out there. They come in sets, but those sets are more tuned to sculptural carving; the needs of carving for printmaking are much more limited. My core set is a 2mm #12 v-gouge (for sharp details and corners), a 3mm #9 gouge (general carving in tight places), and a 7mm Japanese gouge that I think works out to around #5 or #6 (for removing material and carving around lines in open space). I believe traditional Japanese block carving uses knives a lot for outlining but I haven't used any.

This is exactly what I was looking for and yeah I’m not doing any end grain carving, sorry if I wasn’t clear. Thanks for the link!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for and yeah I’m not doing any end grain carving, sorry if I wasn’t clear. Thanks for the link!

Also get one of these to help keep them sharper longer. Using that and a plain leather strop for every hour of carving will help stave off the need to get stones for sharpening.

Edit: I don't know if you need wood advice, but just in case...

Get some good birch plywood. If you've got a local woodworking store (not a big box) they've probably got it. Your local Michaels might sell hobby plywood that's essentially the same stuff, but I'm not sure the quality is as good. Only need 1/4" thick. Cherry works better, but it's more expensive and you probably won't be able to get it as big. McClains sells specialty wood for printmaking and can give you free samples, but again it's a bit pricier (I've carved a little bit of shina and it was pretty nice).

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 29, 2019

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Also get one of these to help keep them sharper longer. Using that and a plain leather strop for every hour of carving will help stave off the need to get stones for sharpening.

Edit: I don't know if you need wood advice, but just in case...

Get some good birch plywood. If you've got a local woodworking store (not a big box) they've probably got it. Your local Michaels might sell hobby plywood that's essentially the same stuff, but I'm not sure the quality is as good. Only need 1/4" thick. Cherry works better, but it's more expensive and you probably won't be able to get it as big. McClains sells specialty wood for printmaking and can give you free samples, but again it's a bit pricier (I've carved a little bit of shina and it was pretty nice).

I’ll take any advice I can! I’m new to all of this so I’m a big, dumb baby when it comes to relief printing so I appreciate everything you’ve provided

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok this one is really stupid but I'm not having any success googling the answer myself; does anyone have an article, video, or just their own tip/guide on how to abstract/simplify/sketch complex patterns/textures? The specific problem I'm running into, and apologies in advance for being such a neck beard, is I'm trying to sketch out my friend's table-top RPG characters and I don't know what to do about chainmail armor - it can't be right that I'm supposed to draw out each link, because that's way too much line work for a sketch, it would be totally at odds with the rest of the drawing and I'd just mess it up.

This has been surprisingly hard to google: I've found excellent videos on how to draw complicated textures realistically,and lots of excellent renderings of chainmail by skilled artists, but I'm more looking some basic tips/guides on how to suggest the pattern with a few lines?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Where would the right place be to ask for comments/critiques of my query letter?

I've started reaching out to literary agents and am realizing that there's likely a lot I could improve.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Any goon preferred source for making a blog?

Basically I just want to read books, and then write up little book reports on a blog.

Thoughts?

wordpress.com is most likely what you want. It's the most popular blogging platform still in existence, and it has lots of customization options you can futz with.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok this one is really stupid but I'm not having any success googling the answer myself; does anyone have an article, video, or just their own tip/guide on how to abstract/simplify/sketch complex patterns/textures? The specific problem I'm running into, and apologies in advance for being such a neck beard, is I'm trying to sketch out my friend's table-top RPG characters and I don't know what to do about chainmail armor - it can't be right that I'm supposed to draw out each link, because that's way too much line work for a sketch, it would be totally at odds with the rest of the drawing and I'd just mess it up.

This has been surprisingly hard to google: I've found excellent videos on how to draw complicated textures realistically,and lots of excellent renderings of chainmail by skilled artists, but I'm more looking some basic tips/guides on how to suggest the pattern with a few lines?

Without seeing some examples of your drawing style and what you've tried so far I can't give any specific advice. There's a few things you could try - are these sketches shaded at all? Try putting your texture only in areas of deep shadow, while leaving mid-tone and highlighted areas blank. You could also use value instead of texture - tiny repeating patterns usually get averaged out by the eye into a general "tone" when they aren't the focus of the image, so coloring the whole chainmail area a solid grey that's slightly darker than the rest of the drawing could help convey the difference in material. You could try using a pattern of scribbles, circles, or some other overlapping textural pattern - the brain is very good at taking areas of dense texture (even if it isn't a 100% accurate representation of the source material) and just...making it work.

I think the main issue, though, is that you have to give yourself permission to let go and just not draw 10 billion individual overlapping links. Its OK to not do that. If you do decide that you need the texture to look 100% accurate to chain mail, pick the areas in the drawing where having that much tiny detail present will add to the drawing, since (as you've already discovered) doing it on everything will just make the drawing look cluttered and draw your eye's attention to the wrong parts.

Also please feel free to post the problem sketches in the daily drawings thread and ask for some critique if you want, we're real friendly over there and you'll get some helpful replies. You'll get better advice if you post the drawings in question so we have some frame of reference.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I want to get back into art, namely, sketching with pencils. Will any basic kit from Amazon do? Are there any brands I should stay away from?

I was looking at something like this. Is it worth it to pay a little more for something like this?

I doubt I'll even be able to use everything, but I'm not sure where I could get the best bang for the buck.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Prismacolor generally makes pretty good stuff in my experience. I use Faber-Castell because that's what was cheap at the art store near me, and it has performed fine.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If you're after value for money, don't buy a premade kit - they always include a ton of crap you don't need to make it look like you're getting a great deal. Really all you need is a pencil, pad of paper, and maybe some hairspray (to use as a fixative, stops your work getting smudged once you're done). An eraser if your pencil doesn't have one. A sharpener or a pocket knife. Anything else is a nice bonus.

Of course, you can spend as much as you'd like on nicer and nicer stuff, but that's the essentials. The first thing I'd upgrade is the paper, a nice sketchbook is really pleasing to work in. You don't need it for pencils, though, dry mediums (pencils, chalk, pastels etc. Stuff that isn't wet.) work fine on whatever paper's around. Printer paper is fine if you really want to save cash.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

If you wanted to spend lile under fifteen dollars from Amazon, what would you order?

I used to get by just fine with a really light one for skwtching and coloring in with 4b.

I just don't see too many choices from Amazon and I dont have an art supply store near me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Big box stores should sell sketch pads, too.

Edit: I only mention it because you said there were no art stores nearby, if amazon is where you wanna go then my answer isn't really what you need.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Is there a painting megathread? I looked through the past 4 pages of the sub but didn't see anything. I've been getting into watercolors and was looking around for resources.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Is there a painting megathread? I looked through the past 4 pages of the sub but didn't see anything. I've been getting into watercolors and was looking around for resources.

I dabble in watercolours. Whatcha curious about?

Also This thread.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Bioshuffle posted:

If you wanted to spend lile under fifteen dollars from Amazon, what would you order?

I used to get by just fine with a really light one for skwtching and coloring in with 4b.

I just don't see too many choices from Amazon and I dont have an art supply store near me.

Really, anything - you're way overthinking this. Grab a pencil, grab some paper, do art. If you somehow don't have those, go to basically any shop. After a couple of weeks, you'll know what you want to upgrade.

If you really want a shopping list:
https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-studio-drawing-pencils/ Pencils. I'd get 3, an HB, a 2B, and a 6B. $3
https://www.dickblick.com/products/generals-all-art-pencil-sharpener/ Pencil sharpener. $1
https://www.dickblick.com/products/generals-all-art-pink-eraser/ Eraser. 25c
https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-studio-hardbound-sketchbook/ A hardback sketchbook. Bigger size. $8.50

Total: $12.75. Shipping will make that about $15.

(Don't use amazon, support real art shops!)

Most of the cash there is on the sketchbook - I like hardback ones because they survive being smushed about in my bag better. 3 grades of pencil is serious overkill, but gently caress it they're 85c. You could take out the HB and 6B and grab a cheap pencil case if you want to draw on the move.

lofi fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 2, 2019

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Pixelante posted:

I dabble in watercolours. Whatcha curious about?

Also This thread.

*mumble mumble*gear chat*mumble mumble* but thanks for the link!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

lofi posted:

(Don't use amazon, support real art shops!)
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll order from here, since I don't care where my money goes to anyway. Come to think of it, I probably have an eraser somewhere and a pocket knife worked just fine for me.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

lofi posted:

Good Stuff

This is good advice, the most important thing is to just get out there and draw. Hardcover sketchbooks are great, because then you can draw on a bench or wherever you end up; softcover books necessitate being at some kind of table or desk whenever you draw. The only thing I'd recommend different would be the pencil grades - I'd say get an HB and a 2B so you can get some good middle and darker grays, and if you want a third add a 2H to the mix for very light, fine lines. Honestly though that's all personal preference, the main thing is that most pencil sketching kits ten to give you way more options than you'll need. There's rarely going to be a situation where the difference between a 6B and a 7B pencil is going to make or break your drawing.

Get 2 (maybe 3) different pencils, start drawing, and as you get more in the habit pick up whatever else you need based on what you feel is missing from your work ("Man, I wish I could make darker black areas" > add a 4B or 6B pencil, "I'd love to be able to carve fine white lines out of this gray area" > buy an eraser pencil you can use in your sharpener).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've started collecting Copic markers. I don't have any marker paper and I'm not sure what to get I'd like something with a little translucency. The nearest art supply store is 120 miles away because I live in bumfuck Wyoming, so I can't look at any and see very easily.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Star Man posted:

I've started collecting Copic markers. I don't have any marker paper and I'm not sure what to get I'd like something with a little translucency. The nearest art supply store is 120 miles away because I live in bumfuck Wyoming, so I can't look at any and see very easily.

Honestly, I find "marker paper" isn't the best for markers. Smooth bristol works really well, though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pixelante posted:

Honestly, I find "marker paper" isn't the best for markers. Smooth bristol works really well, though.

I do have a bunch of that already too.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
This is a weird one, but what's a good program to write a book in? I kind of hate Word and associate it with work. Is there a better free program?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Christoph posted:

This is a weird one, but what's a good program to write a book in? I kind of hate Word and associate it with work. Is there a better free program?

I wrote mine in Google Docs. Meant I could do a lot of the work from my desktop computer, but also easily tap in from my laptop or edit from my phone.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Christoph posted:

It's not "free," but it is a one-time $50 purchase - I really like Scrivener. It's purpose-built for making long-form documents like books an screenplays, you can give it a 30 day free trial an see if it's up your alley.

disclaimer: I am not an author, nor have I ever wrote a full book, but I fin the program to be incredibly useful for keeping track of various character documents and research while writing my story out.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

notepad :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Jack B Nimble posted:

late response but just saw this post which is basically what i do when i need to do chainmail
https://drawthisshitt.tumblr.com/post/187044287284/mutherfucking-chainmail-brush