Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Language changes over time and I have no qualms with rubbing the nose of fragile manchildren into the poo poo they created. In no way does it spit on my own beliefs to mock them for being the addle-minded oversensitive children they have wrongfully accused others of being.

I see what you're getting at, but this is not too far removed from the logic people use to say "human being" is no longer a homophobic slur but rather an all-purpose insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TheHan posted:

I’m sure 80% of them know it’s bullshit, and play along hoping it’ll scare people into not opposing them and that the 20% who are dumb as dogshit will genuinely believe CHUDs are just poor lil babies being picked on by the mean ‘ol women and minorities.

I think a lot of it is less "scare people into not opposing them" and more "justify harassing people they don't like."

The warm, fuzzy glow of being a shithead to someone while having plausible deniability is pretty addicting. You see it in left-leaning areas as well, where there are people who are just chomping at the goddamn bit to go on a righteous crusade against someone.

(Which is not to say the two groups are equivalent in anything other than excuses behind assholery.)

Skwirl posted:

When you go mailboxing, you don't always succeed in getting a mail box off it's post (you don't hit it right, it's too sturdy, etc.), but if it does leave the post it doesn't fall over next to that post. So this was almost certainly a crappy mailbox that fell down from neglect and/or the wind.

I think TUG is a broken enough human being that he believes most of the bullshit he says about Renfamous. Like I don't think it's hard to believe someone called CPS on him, and if they happened to show up the same day he said something mean about Renfamous (so, you know, any day in the last 6 months) he just naturally assumed it was her using her deep state resources to gently caress up his life.

Given TUG's weird paranoia and complete incompetence at actually keeping himself safe, I'm assuming it's this.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Roth posted:

I guess my posts come across as rather hostile, but I'm mostly just annoyed that it feels like every time Site, Archy, or Covok point out something problematic in the thread it feels like that person takes it as a personal attack and immediately starts doubling down. Then suddenly they're the bad guys for voicing dissent. It's not just this thread either, it's all over BSS and SA itself as well.

Squidster posted:

Lots of folks seem to decide to die on a hill rather than admit they could ever be wrong. It's embarrassingly fragile.
"If I'm on the right side, how could I ever possibly be wrong?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Farms tackling the most critical issues with their typical razor sharp insight.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1155814908405145600

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Guys

I ve never posted in BSS. I message X-O weeks ago about comics gate, namely asking what it was. He advised me to just stay out of this thread.

Sorry let me back up a bit. My partner works at home while my job keeps me coming and going. So I am basically in and out of the house. My partner listen to youtube videos and honestly its giving me vietnam era flashbacks to my parents and rush limbaugh.

I just hear the words comics gate I hear some dude bro named zack talking about being your boy. etc.

So I end up asking my partner to explain what these people are talking about and they just blow me off. I get annoyed and try to listen to this stuff but its soo loving boring, then I get made i can never get a straight answer regarding what all these people are screaming about.

Hence I tried to read this thread but alot of post here are just really really emotional and I feared I d be dog piled for "just asking questions"

So I let the issue go

Then a few weeks ago my partner apologized said they just like having the back ground nose while they work and thats the smartest of the bunch is some poo poo teir lawyer who even said that comics gate is about to eat its own.

I again asked "WHAT THE gently caress ARE THEY YELLING ABOUT?"

they explained that basically a bunch of people are going around just making videos the are repeating peoples making GBS threads opinions back to them they make the videos just long enough to get youtube money and without any juicy drama they will eat eachother basically.

i just wanted to share my views as an outsider

and if my understanding is wrong please correct me. I am not here looking for a fight i am just frustrated and not being able to wrap my head about the yelling people on the internet.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
:sever:

(listening to comicsgate youtubes is a good sign your partner holds deeply lovely opinions. there is a ton of other stuff you could pick as background noise that isn't lovely.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Comicsgate is a spin off of gamergate. Without getting into too much history, GG was basically a campaign to harass women and other minority video game creators. Comicsgate is the same thing. It is a full on hate group who are hell bent on harassing women, non white people, homosexuals, trans people, etc. who work in the comics industry.

Saying it's just to have noise on in the background is the same as saying you're listening to David Duke speeches just to have something in the background. Your partner is probably super hosed in the head in a lot of deep and scary ways, and at the very least you need to have a fuckin hard conversation with them.

If you want more specific instances myself or others in this thread would be glad to help, I'm sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"My relationship ended because I posted on Something Awful" is going to be a hell of a memory to look back on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ups_rail posted:

Hey Guys

I ve never posted in BSS. I message X-O weeks ago about comics gate, namely asking what it was. He advised me to just stay out of this thread.

Sorry let me back up a bit. My partner works at home while my job keeps me coming and going. So I am basically in and out of the house. My partner listen to youtube videos and honestly its giving me vietnam era flashbacks to my parents and rush limbaugh.

I just hear the words comics gate I hear some dude bro named zack talking about being your boy. etc.

So I end up asking my partner to explain what these people are talking about and they just blow me off. I get annoyed and try to listen to this stuff but its soo loving boring, then I get made i can never get a straight answer regarding what all these people are screaming about.

Hence I tried to read this thread but alot of post here are just really really emotional and I feared I d be dog piled for "just asking questions"

So I let the issue go

Then a few weeks ago my partner apologized said they just like having the back ground nose while they work and thats the smartest of the bunch is some poo poo teir lawyer who even said that comics gate is about to eat its own.

I again asked "WHAT THE gently caress ARE THEY YELLING ABOUT?"

they explained that basically a bunch of people are going around just making videos the are repeating peoples making GBS threads opinions back to them they make the videos just long enough to get youtube money and without any juicy drama they will eat eachother basically.

i just wanted to share my views as an outsider

and if my understanding is wrong please correct me. I am not here looking for a fight i am just frustrated and not being able to wrap my head about the yelling people on the internet.

I didn't read all of this, but I'll answer your question.

Comicsgate is a fringe right-wing movement in America. A subset of gamergate, it is a movement that claims that comic books are too political and need to return to an imagined era of prosperity. They take advantage of the fact that comic books have declined in sales due to the invention of the internet streaming videos and the increasing complexity of video games to claim that left-wing politics are the true cause of the industry's decline.

Anyone who knows the history of comic books and the realities of its present situation knows that is silly. Comic books have always been very political. Superman was invented by two underpaid jewish men in the 30s as a means to speak out against depression era issues and speak about the need for more equality in America. Marvel Comics had their first superhero, Captain America, punch Hitler at a time where Nazis were allowed to have rallies in New York. Stan Lee made it clear that he wanted to use Comics to have a message and often did.

The actual decline in comic sales can be attributed to a variety of factors. Competition has become more abundant. Internet streaming, Video Games, Etc are now much more convenient and give you more bang for your buck than a comic book. The price of comic books have gone up to $4 an issue because of the increase in quality printing during the boom and bust of the 90s. During the 90s, a lot of gimmicks became really cemented and these gimmicks have a diminishing effect. And the following decades did not break the industry Reliance on these gimmicks.

And, most ironically, comic books are very insular for a variety of reasons. They appeal very often to a very small set of people and for a long time you had to go to specialty shops for them. The ironic thing is that diversity and online sales actually helped American comic books by getting more people into the series by providing them Heroes that were like them or stories that appeal to them. I speak from experience on this one.

Comicsgate has not resulted in outright physical violence. But rhetoric from the members are very violent at times. They have a list of enemies and they harass people online. They have harassed people in person as well but that is more rare.

It is likely that a lot of comicsgate is a grift. Some are merely using it as a part of a culture War. Conservatism in America in general is interested in changing culture back to a less accepting period. More fringe groups are more open about this desire. Especially online groups. They refer to it as a culture War. And comicsgate is seen by some as a front of that war. There are also clearly some that are simply using it as a means of making money. There have been a lot of kickstarters and Indiegogo started to push comic books that are pro-comicsgate. Leaves of all resulted in hilarious poo poo shows: two instances of people running off with the money and one instance where two laughably bad books were produced.

The best way of thinking about comicsgate is it's the same thing as the alt right. A Comicsgater is the same thing as someone who listens to Alex Jones for their news. Either they are intellectually dishonest and are looking for talking points to push their agenda or they are true believers who are very deluded on the nature of reality.

Either way they support violent ,extreme positions on loving comic books of all things.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If they're watching "ya boi Zack" they're watching a man who constantly does offensive "gay" voices and rips up his comic books that he doesn't like while screaming about them, by the way.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vince MechMahon posted:

If they're watching "ya boi Zack" they're watching a man who constantly does offensive "gay" voices and rips up his comic books that he doesn't like while screaming about them, by the way.

I tried to watch him and ya its so boring, after like 20 minutes of his bed spread and yelling about sjw I was just bored.

Then there is the comic pro channel which again is just some dude reading new artcles and yelling at them.

So is my partner wrong when they say that these are just a bunch of grifters screaming at the void for 10 minutes to get that sweet sweet adsense money?

Also for what its worth they used to have audio books on or TTC lectures we got rid of cable last year so the youtube videos playing in the back ground makes sense, and again they claim after listening to this stuff for months thats it just a bunch of grifters and I havent heard "ITS YA BOY" in the house for the last few weeks.

I guess the only thing I can bring to this thread is the point that its all rather dense to an outsider.

Edit: one thing about my partner they arent stupid though they are on the spectrum and i dont think they believe what these people say since so much of it is an appeal to emotion/tribalism

Ups_rail fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 30, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There are so, so, so many podcasts available if your partner really just needed background noise

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They are a bunch of grifters in the same way Alex Jones is a grifter. The grift is predicated on spreading hate and violence. It may still be worth a conversation with your partner about why they chose a bunch of homophobic white supremacists.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
I hate to break it to you but your partner is going down a really dark path.

the lawyer guy is a part of #istandwithvic, people who stand with vic mignogna who is uh currently suing people for defamation because they said he sexually harrassed them.

the lot of them are grifters, assholes, or morons.

If you care about him you REALLY need to have some kind of discussion about all this stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just gonna say im skeptical of the person who ate a probe for recommending people read kiwi farms and somethingsensitive doxx threads and questioning whether someones gender identity was metal illness

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

just gonna say im skeptical of the person who ate a probe for recommending people read kiwi farms and somethingsensitive doxx threads and questioning whether someones gender identity was metal illness

Oh wow yeah. This person should have stayed the gently caress out of this thread. Disgusting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

This person contacted my via PM with the same story almost three months ago. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt at the time but I did have reservations over whether they were genuine or just feigning ignorance. I ultimately told them to stay out the thread and if they were genuine to try and contact other posters in the thread that might be more knowledgeable about the issues they were wondering about than me. Looking now at their rap sheet as you've pointed out it seems as if my reservations may have been correct.

Ups_rail you are no longer welcome in this thread.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
oh no were we puppetmastered? I was about to reccomend better youtubes

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i could barely understand those word salad posts anyway so if they were trying to rile up the thread, good job i guess? it was very hard to tell what you were even asking about

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alaois posted:

i could barely understand those word salad posts anyway so if they were trying to rile up the thread, good job i guess? it was very hard to tell what you were even asking about

They seemed legit like someone who's not heavy into this kind of thing and also like... A bit slow.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
well looky here
https://twitter.com/Kimota1977/status/1156034178539876353?s=20
I'm surprised TUG's mailbox held up for 20 months with duct tape before 'those' Antifa goons vandalized it to spread terror

BoosterDuck fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 30, 2019

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Comicsgate is just the latest example of something that has gone through pretty much every traditional "nerd" culture. Comics, videogames, rpgs and others have traditionally been a place of safety for young males, somewhere where you could escape from bullies and assholes who didn't understand your passion. In recent years the general public has started to embrace all of these cultures, and this has brought women and people of color into what are traditionally male, white and heterosexual places.

Most of us embrace new people with different views entering the scene, but some people can't handle that not everything is about the traditional white heterosexual male any more.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Oasx posted:

Comicsgate is just the latest example of something that has gone through pretty much every traditional "nerd" culture. Comics, videogames, rpgs and others have traditionally been a place of safety for young males, somewhere where you could escape from bullies and assholes who didn't understand your passion. In recent years the general public has started to embrace all of these cultures, and this has brought women and people of color into what are traditionally male, white and heterosexual places.

Most of us embrace new people with different views entering the scene, but some people can't handle that not everything is about the traditional white heterosexual male any more.

Less "mainstream success has brought different people in," more "the different people are now able to make themselves heard." It's not like ladies and people with melanin were immune to being nerds before 2000

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Soonmot posted:

oh no were we puppetmastered? I was about to reccomend better youtubes

Are there any anti-comicsgate youtubers? I know about the main guys like Shaun, Hbomb, Contra, etc. But those guys are more general use anti-nazi, and barely or never cover comicsgate stuff.

Is Vic "Animegate" at this point, or is he still just "vic?"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

not that I know of, but the Jim Jeffries show once did a segment on it that featured Jim talking to Richard Meyer, who ran ComixAndDiversity, one of the big standard bearers of comicsgate, and he's now all but vanished into the ether after Jeffries made him look like a buffoon on mainstream television

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I think because Comicgate is so niche, you don't nearly have the amount of people trying to counter it. It's easy to make countless right wing videos criticizing every thing (and making up plenty more), it's a lot harder to make counter videos, because they'll always end up being 40 minutes long+, and countering mostly the same talking points, so it's harder to keep it interesting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anora posted:

There is another voice actor being accused of being a sex pest - Todd Haberkorn - but as far as I know it hasn't gotten nearly the traction Vic did, so mostly it's just Vic. Also as far as I know (which I stress) there was only a single incident.

PicklePants posted:

I think because Comicgate is so niche, you don't nearly have the amount of people trying to counter it. It's easy to make countless right wing videos criticizing every thing (and making up plenty more), it's a lot harder to make counter videos, because they'll always end up being 40 minutes long+, and countering mostly the same talking points, so it's harder to keep it interesting.

The funny thing with ComicsGate is a lot of big name people did counter it, industry pros like Larry Hama,* Bill Sienkiewicz and even Joe Quesada tried to engage them in dialogue (before treating them like a joke when they didn't take it seriously and just acted like CG). Nobody talks about it now as much because CG stopped going after big names for the most part so they can ignore it, and we just have the people CG has a grudge against like Ren or Shane Holmsberg.

*It will never not be hilarious that CG thought Hama would be a Gater.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oasx posted:

Women and PoC have been a part of nerd culture for decades. Way before you and I were born. These are naive and dumb people who fell in the clutches of loving white supremacists and grifters. These subcultures were never 100% straight, neither 100% white or 100% male centered. loving Star Trek was diverse as hell. Furries were openly LGBTQ+ since the mid 80's-90's, lots of Latinx countries are fans of superheroes and anime even before internet was a real thing. So the whole "this was their white safe space" is utter bullshit.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

There is another voice actor being accused of being a sex pest - Todd Haberkorn - but as far as I know it hasn't gotten nearly the traction Vic did, so mostly it's just Vic. Also as far as I know (which I stress) there was only a single incident.

There's also Chris Niosi who is in the latest Fire Emblem game. But Nintendo is going to actually have someone else record the lines then replace them in game, so that's kind of neat. (Also he hasn't adopted the Vic 'it's OK cause I'm me' line and is instead 'I was a bad person please forgive' which is at least better)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desperado Bones posted:

Women and PoC have been a part of nerd culture for decades. Way before you and I were born. These are naive and dumb people who fell in the clutches of loving white supremacists and grifters. These subcultures were never 100% straight, neither 100% white or 100% male centered. loving Star Trek was diverse as hell. Furries were openly LGBTQ+ since the mid 80's-90's, lots of Latinx countries are fans of superheroes and anime even before internet was a real thing. So the whole "this was their white safe space" is utter bullshit.

And there's always been the racist undercurrent. There's a startlingly racist letter that got published in Uncanny X-Men shortly after Giant-Size X-Men. The only character he liked was Wolverine, although he thought Banshee should be kept around as the odd guest star. Nightcrawler, being "unable to have a secret identity" should die heroically. Where it gets really eyebrow raising was the writer was furious over the notion of Storm and Colossus on the team and thought they should get married, go live in Africa and never be heard from again.

Thank God Proudstar and Sunfire were already off the team, I guess.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

SoftNum posted:

There's also Chris Niosi who is in the latest Fire Emblem game. But Nintendo is going to actually have someone else record the lines then replace them in game, so that's kind of neat. (Also he hasn't adopted the Vic 'it's OK cause I'm me' line and is instead 'I was a bad person please forgive' which is at least better)

Which is kind of funny (outside of, y'know, the sex pesting) because that game has an insane amount of voice in it. Outside of the tactical stuff it's essentially a fully voiced visual novel with a couple of dozen main characters.... except for the character this guy plays who is essentially a silent protagonist who for some reason has a single voiced word or phrase here or there. It'll be like an hour's work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

And there's always been the racist undercurrent. There's a startlingly racist letter that got published in Uncanny X-Men shortly after Giant-Size X-Men. The only character he liked was Wolverine, although he thought Banshee should be kept around as the odd guest star. Nightcrawler, being "unable to have a secret identity" should die heroically. Where it gets really eyebrow raising was the writer was furious over the notion of Storm and Colossus on the team and thought they should get married, go live in Africa and never be heard from again.

A large amount of old school creators are pretty goddamned racist/bigoted so that doesn't help.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I was rereading X-Statix recently and the letters pages had some grim reading for 2002

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

Are there any anti-comicsgate youtubers? I know about the main guys like Shaun, Hbomb, Contra, etc. But those guys are more general use anti-nazi, and barely or never cover comicsgate stuff.

Every comic youtube I've ever watched has ranged from centrist to straight up sketchy, so I Stopped. I was just going to the breadtube required viewing subs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah yes, the natural law that it's immoral for people to be gay. As unbreakable as the gravitational constant.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's youtubers that don't like comicsgate but I think in general they avoid talking about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We should start our own channel then.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

We should start our own channel then.

Imagine four Likes on the edge of a video...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SoftNum posted:

While neat it's worth noting he's actually being canned for breaking an NDA. It does seem like Nintendo was ignoring the contract breach until the abuse came to light though but it's unclear how related they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JThis guy Jose did a video on Comicsgate a whiel back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vthVmTnp80

But then he also did an hour-and-a-half video on how Secret Empire was actually good, so his judgement might be questionable.