Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lambert posted:

I really want to dive into the tenkeyless world. But disabling the numpad using autohotkey certainly showed me that I seem to use it a whole lot.

I used one for a couple months and kept going to use the numpad. ANSI 104 for lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

are you finding you need it for GAMING or for normal computer usage, and as a followup, is that normal computer usage entering numbers, or just forgetting that there's no [enter] key at the bottom right any more

It's for my SICK GAMING RIG. Main usage of the numpad for me seems to be the Enter key, and the +/-/0 keys for browsing. I do enter the occasional number using the Numpad, way more convenient than the number row to me; but I'm certainly not living in Excel.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Lambert posted:

I really want to dive into the tenkeyless world. But disabling the numpad using autohotkey certainly showed me that I seem to use it a whole lot.

What’s the point? Keep using numpad keyboards if you’re comfortable with them.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the numpad enter key is one of the most underrated keys on the board

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in my world I revere it like a god, it’s hardly underrated, but for sure there are some infidels who actually laugh in the face of a numpad

they provide us with essential numbers

the fact that the ios keyboard doesn’t displays numbers in numpad format is a travesty. ever since I saw a screenshot of it in windows phone I knew it was a superior method. imagine typing in a phone number on a number line.. oh I don’t have to 😒

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The double-zero key.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

I really like it, op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

this is good

but I could never have a rpn calculator in the dispensary

trying to help the tech learn her level 5 and it just dives right into pharmacokinetics, and trying to help her understand volume of distribution and half lives is not easy lol (especially because she wants me to basically give her all the answers) and gently caress the poo poo I would hear on the daily about how my calculator is a piece of poo poo if it was rpn would drive me up the wall

rpn seriously takes about five minutes to learn, and it makes all of the non-arithmetic functions so much easier

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

are you finding you need it for GAMING or for normal computer usage, and as a followup, is that normal computer usage entering numbers, or just forgetting that there's no [enter] key at the bottom right any more

friends don't let friends quote lambert, for gently caress's sake

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

ps, get something from https://www.swissmicros.com

it’s fuckin awesome

so i totally get the "dm42" that is more hp than hp can be arsed to be anymore

but why would i buy the swiss micro clone of an hp12c instead of an actual hp12c. not being snarky, i am actually curious. their marketing page doesn't bother to discuss ... why you would buy the product

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

echinopsis posted:

is rpn the dvorak of calculators? aka basically the same ONCE you’ve become familiar with it, but makes others who want to borrow just pissed off and think you’re a weirdo?

no it’s genuinely better once you get used to it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

setup on the VT240 requires use of the enter key, not the return key

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so i totally get the "dm42" that is more hp than hp can be arsed to be anymore

but why would i buy the swiss micro clone of an hp12c instead of an actual hp12c. not being snarky, i am actually curious. their marketing page doesn't bother to discuss ... why you would buy the product

the couple of reasons I can think of are that they sell models with all known bugs addressed (which can be a crapshoot if you buy a 12C off eBay) and that they sell a credit card sized version

maybe theirs can also do a whole bunch of additional things or something, add precision but with the 12C interface, etc.

I can tell you that the reason to get a SwissMicros 16C is that you can actually find it for a reasonable price compared to the HP16C Computer Scientist

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the couple of reasons I can think of are that they sell models with all known bugs addressed (which can be a crapshoot if you buy a 12C off eBay) and that they sell a credit card sized version

maybe theirs can also do a whole bunch of additional things or something, add precision but with the 12C interface, etc.

I can tell you that the reason to get a SwissMicros 16C is that you can actually find it for a reasonable price compared to the HP16C Computer Scientist

I picked on the hp12c because it is the last classic hp calculator you can just go and buy from hp

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-12c-financial-programmable-calculator-p-12c-aba--1

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

rear end posted:

I bathed my keyboard today.

what about yourself

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

duckfarts posted:

what about yourself

probably at the same time

like doing your dishes in the bathtub

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

friends don't let friends quote lambert, for gently caress's sake

Should my gimmick be talking about numpads being an invention for the Enterprise that has no place in private housholds?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lambert posted:

Should my gimmick be talking about numpads being an invention for the Enterprise that has no place in private housholds?

better than a lot of the gimmicks around here

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
There is a calculator/numpad with real Cherry switches: https://www.amazon.com/Ducky-Pocket-Cherry-Brown-Keyboard/dp/B071XX3KWP

It runs off a battery as well as usb but you need usb power if you want the sick rgb lighting

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

eschaton posted:

Love my DM16, I don't have to count hex on my fingers anymore. You also forgot the freaking Titanium case. So baller.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I somehow loving lost my A key during the cleaning process so I guess it's time for a PBT cap set.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rear end posted:

I somehow loving lost my A key during the cleaning process so I guess it's time for a PBT cap set.

Wht pin in the ss, OP!

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

rear end posted:

cn we interest you in rtisan keycp?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i like this one

only $3000 for a full keyboard

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

r u ready to WALK posted:

i like this one

only $3000 for a full keyboard

sounds pawsome

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

dick traceroute posted:

cn we interest you in rtisan keycp?

Those look like absolute poo poo but I did buy these since my keyboard is backlit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDVG4RQ/

Decent enough? I still got time to cancel the order.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
manjaro linux lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

rear end posted:

Those look like absolute poo poo but I did buy these since my keyboard is backlit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDVG4RQ/

Decent enough? I still got time to cancel the order.

they look the exact same caps as a dozen different sellers on aliexpress but yeah they’re deece

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

manjaro linux lol

I mean, if that's what you choose to make fun of in that pic, it's up to you

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://twitter.com/red_mercer/status/1154529831024910336?s=20

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

if you or your friends have keyboards like that you probably should have realized long ago self loving will be the only loving you’ll get

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

seems like a p good board for an incompetent yakuza

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rpn seriously takes about five minutes to learn, and it makes all of the non-arithmetic functions so much easier

you may be surprised to learn that in the dispensary I never need non-arithmetic functions ever

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I picked on the hp12c because it is the last classic hp calculator you can just go and buy from hp

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-12c-financial-programmable-calculator-p-12c-aba--1

does this like do mortgage poo poo? gently caress yes

Lambert posted:

i like it and use it often. it’s used a lot for my rodtroniccing

Fib posted:

There is a calculator/numpad with real Cherry switches: https://www.amazon.com/Ducky-Pocket-Cherry-Brown-Keyboard/dp/B071XX3KWP

It runs off a battery as well as usb but you need usb power if you want the sick rgb lighting

damnit that looks way better than the one i got

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

you may be surprised to learn that in the dispensary I never need non-arithmetic functions ever

rpn works fine for arithmetic there is just no super obvious advantage to rpn in that case

echinopsis posted:

does this like do mortgage poo poo? gently caress yes

yes

and stats

and it’s programmable

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

duckfarts posted:

seems like a p good board for an incompetent yakuza

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rpn works fine for arithmetic there is just no super obvious advantage to rpn in that case

yes

and stats

and it’s programmable

yeah rpn is fantastic if you’re doing complex functions and what not. certainly a million times better than doing interim calculations, storing poo poo in memory, and trying to recall the proper values.

I guess if you’re really good at it it’s fine for arithmetic but not worth learning it for that alone

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Vomik posted:

yeah rpn is fantastic if you’re doing complex functions and what not. certainly a million times better than doing interim calculations, storing poo poo in memory, and trying to recall the proper values.

I guess if you’re really good at it it’s fine for arithmetic but not worth learning it for that alone

if RPN is the difference between successfully calculating something or not you should be using a spreadsheet or a math program or scipython instead of a calculator

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I can't belive i'm in yospos and people are talkin poo poo about rpn.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
make better choices, yospos