Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
On GoQuest if you are clearly ahead, but low on time, many opponents will keep playing endless shenanigan moves to try to run you out of time. You may have to keep responding or passing until they have no legal moves left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

CaptainEO posted:

On GoQuest if you are clearly ahead, but low on time, many opponents will keep playing endless shenanigan moves to try to run you out of time. You may have to keep responding or passing until they have no legal moves left.

Or if you capture a certain amount of pieces, I think it's around like 15 or 20 or so, it auto forces a loss on the other guy and gives them a very significant it to their ELO rating. Like it's the equivalent of five or six losses instead of just one. This definitely becomes less frequent the higher you climb in rank but never goes away entirely.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
this is pretty fun... the rating doesn't seem to mean much though? ive beat a couple 12k, a couple 7k, and just now a 4k and i have advanced to.... 27k xD. seems to have some kind of balancing going on at least, cause the other guys aren't losing much or any rating points for their losses.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

derp posted:

this is pretty fun... the rating doesn't seem to mean much though? ive beat a couple 12k, a couple 7k, and just now a 4k and i have advanced to.... 27k xD. seems to have some kind of balancing going on at least, cause the other guys aren't losing much or any rating points for their losses.

Your real rank is your Elo rating, the kyu ranks are handed initially just for playing enough games, then they start being handed out for winning a certain number of games in a row while above a certain Elo threshold. This tends to give some goofy kyu ranks until you've played ~50 matches, at which point the system tends to have you pegged pretty well all in all.

A couple useful resources: The book 81 little lions is a pretty decent primer guide to the fundamental strategy of 9x9 openings, and this puzzle on Ogs is a very comprehensive collection of all the common 9x9 opening sequences has played at Pro level.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 21, 2019

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
kind of surprised i'm crushing these people so easily when i haven't played in like 18 months. i wonder how long it takes these skills to fall out of your head or if they are just burned in forever

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i just beat a "1 dan" wow ego boost

okay done spamming

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

CaptainEO posted:

Nice AV and post combo.

Let's bring some of this discussion into the discord. Someone was complaining we don't talk go there.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
yeah cuz the forums are just too darn active nowadays

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
To be fair, for this sort of discussion, between posters who aren't online all the time, the chatroom would be like playing in the street, just asking to be made roadkill by any random fast-moving off-topic chat.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Zero is going on in the Discord right now but fair enough.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Go is hard.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
I think KGS lost my old username, but im on now with username 'flying' if someone can let me into ITGO

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
is OGS still the place for correspondence go? looks kinda dead

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

The SA page isn't active but you can find correspondence games on OGS still. Tournaments are pretty regular so if you sign up you'll get some games.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Been hard to get anyone to accept my games. If anyone wants to play a faster Corr game, several moves per day at least (simple time control, 1 move per day, but play more!) And is around 5k give or take, challenge me! I'm jonasd on ogs.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

That sounds like Lovely would fit that bill. I don't think he reads the forums though. He's WHITEFERRARI on OGS.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Blitz is loving nerve wracking, Christ

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
welp. i'm getting BACK INTO GO (again)

correspondence go anyway.

anyone looking for a fastish correspondence game, lets be friends? (i'm 4k, maybe)

Anyone else who plays 9x on goquest, let's be friends? i'm around 1600 there

NEED MORE GO FRIENDS

edit: i forgot to put my usernames:

ogs: jonasd
goquest: jonasd82

derp fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 29, 2019

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
discordd link in the OP no longer works. is there a new one?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

derp posted:

discordd link in the OP no longer works. is there a new one?
https://discordapp.com/invite/aWTrnv4

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

derp posted:

anyone looking for a fastish correspondence game, lets be friends? (i'm 4k, maybe)
Happy to play correspondence, shoot me a request on OGS, I'm "SelfAtari". I am also about 4K, as long as I have time to think :).

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

derp posted:

welp. i'm getting BACK INTO GO (again)

correspondence go anyway.

Anyone else who plays 9x on goquest, let's be friends? i'm around 1600 there

NEED MORE GO FRIENDS

I’m there as sephirothira but I’m like 17k and terrible

Thankfully I also am a poor loser and hate myself

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
goquest does not seem to have a friends function... OH WELL

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

derp posted:

goquest does not seem to have a friends function... OH WELL

You can’t friend people?! Is your username derp?

Edit you can play with friends, you just need an identical keyword when you’re searching in the app. We could set a thread wide work (e.g. SAgoquest) and you’d be matched with anyone also using the word.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my goquest username is jonasd82, i found you but didn't see any ui for inviting or adding or challenging or anything like that, i could just look at your stats.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

derp posted:

my goquest username is jonasd82, i found you but didn't see any ui for inviting or adding or challenging or anything like that, i could just look at your stats.

Yeah :( the only way to match with someone is to use the friend checkbox when you’re looking for a game and use the same keyword. I’m on sporadically throughout the day, just PM me if you want to play and we can set a keyword.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Goquest is excellent, i definitely feel like I'm improving my fighting.

e: the bots ranks seem a bit inflated though, I think some players must just resign at the start against them.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 16, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Heyo everyone, I'm someone who loves go but doesn't have anyone to play with in person. I tried a couple clubs in my area but... they're not my type of people. I don't know anything about my rating or anything like that as I've only played casually with friends who I had to teach the rules in the first place. I might be interested in trying my hand at an online game if someone is open to walking a novice through the steps to do so?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Heyo everyone, I'm someone who loves go but doesn't have anyone to play with in person. I tried a couple clubs in my area but... they're not my type of people. I don't know anything about my rating or anything like that as I've only played casually with friends who I had to teach the rules in the first place. I might be interested in trying my hand at an online game if someone is open to walking a novice through the steps to do so?

The easiest ways are:
* Get goquest on your phone for blitz 9x9 games. Very addictive and you'll get way better at fighting.
* Make an account on online-go.com for full size games. It can take a while to find games there though. They also have a very good library of puzzles for beginners.

Both of those will try and match you up with players of roughly equal skill, although it night take a few games to do so. There's also KGS which used to be the best for beginners, idk anymore.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is there any way to figure out where your ranking is in terms of skill, or will that just become clear through play? When I tried to match up with people in the past, I've been asked my rank and I'm like idk, I know the rules and gently caress up a bunch.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Is there any way to figure out where your ranking is in terms of skill, or will that just become clear through play? When I tried to match up with people in the past, I've been asked my rank and I'm like idk, I know the rules and gently caress up a bunch.

Play a bunch online and it'll stabilise eventually. They aren't that meaningful at 18k+ since you'll improve very quickly

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
GoQuest starts you at like 1k and you’ll move up and down from there. Turn off the “see other peoples ranks” option and just fight until you’re better.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

GoQuest starts you at like 1k and you’ll move up and down from there. Turn off the “see other peoples ranks” option and just fight until you’re better.

It started me with an ELO of 900 and then for the first few games did something weird, sometimes it would go up even when I lost., I think 10k is like 1050, 1d is 1700.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

pointsofdata posted:

It started me with an ELO of 900 and then for the first few games did something weird, sometimes it would go up even when I lost., I think 10k is like 1050, 1d is 1700.

That seems low for 10k. I’m 14k on OGS and I’m 1250 on goquest.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

That seems low for 10k. I’m 14k on OGS and I’m 1250 on goquest.

I used to be about 13k on KGS, and after playing loads of goquest I've definitely improved my fighting but only reached 1200 ( then I played a bunch on the bus home from the bar...)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

pointsofdata posted:

on ogs anyway 1d is 2300 i think

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

derp posted:

on ogs anyway 1d is 2300 i think

https://senseis.xmp.net/?GoQuest

I think it's different, I don't know why though, I thought the way ELO worked made it pretty comparable.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

pointsofdata posted:

https://senseis.xmp.net/?GoQuest

I think it's different, I don't know why though, I thought the way ELO worked made it pretty comparable.

hmm, doesn't seem right. i got to 1600 on goquest pretty easily, and i am only 4 or 5k on 19x go.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

derp posted:

hmm, doesn't seem right. i got to 1600 on goquest pretty easily, and i am only 4 or 5k on 19x go.

I don't have the article on hand but go Quest and ogs use very different rating systems, although ultimately they are both very good at matching you with appropriate opponents.

derp posted:

Goquest uses a rating system that's very specific to 9 by 9 Blitz, also their system is designed such that there are only two players who have ever reached 9 Don. (1don is set at 1700 elo.)

I'm rated 4kyu over on goquest, and based on my experiences playing 9 by 9 plates with Chinese rules in other places that holds up pretty well. On the 19 by 19 board however- I'm a 12 kyu on a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I tried the OGS AI assisted review, it was sort of useful? It pointed out a lot of moves where I gave up sente for insufficient benefit.