Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tjume
Feb 8, 2009

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the arctic air mass is wandering south, soon the hot european air mass will migrate north to take its place and melt everything left up there
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/07/26/europes-heat-wave-is-about-bake-arctic/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kassad posted:

Losing 10°C or 15°C in one day is pretty wild, that's true.

You are like a little baby

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

the way Europeans talk about weather seriously makes me wonder how any of them survived moving to the American midwest

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Buildings in the Midwest aren't built solely to retain heat, for one.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Crazycryodude posted:

I think the cold weather most of Europe and North America is getting/just got is the remnants of the polar cell shattering and flying off, so that's cool and good and will probably end with the entire Arctic even more on fire than it already is

isn't it uncontroversial at this point to say the polar vortex is deteriorating and will cool Europe while melting the ice caps

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
BoE 2020

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RandomPauI posted:

Buildings in the Midwest aren't built solely to retain heat, for one.

lol owned by the little ice age

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

semi-lol at a few of the dorky euro area youtube channels I watch who are all apologizing for sweating a bit due to it being very hot outside

:rip:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The entire arctic being on fire is normal and good actually

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The entire arctic being on fire is normal and good actually

Well you're half right anyway!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

here's a lovely stat from a ten day old article I just got around to reading - that day the water off nome ak in the Arctic ocean was hotter than the water off San Fransisco in the Pacific (60 vs 56). cool and good

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Its Coke posted:

isn't it uncontroversial at this point to say the polar vortex is deteriorating and will cool Europe while melting the ice caps

Also the gulf stream may eventually stop, cooling Europe significantly while the avg temp of the planet still rises.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also the gulf stream may eventually stop, cooling Europe significantly while the avg temp of the planet still rises.

"may" "eventually"

lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Addamere posted:

"may" "eventually"

lol

Afaik that's far enough out that we dont really know and we'll be so deep in water wars and migration crises and disease outbreaks that its a minor footnote lmao

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

gulf steam dead already? good thing europe no longer exists!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the gulf stream weakening is also supposed to impact the trade winds which is apparently gonna turn the midwest into a frozen moonscape and make the UK uninhabitable

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the gulf stream weakening is also supposed to impact the trade winds which is apparently gonna turn the midwest into a frozen moonscape and make the UK uninhabitable

hell yeah

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Keep in mind it also moves heat out so the south will become even hotter

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Finally some relief.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wouldn't the gulf stream shutting down increase the amount of energy in the gulf air that makes it up to the midwest and causes all that rain when it meets cold canadian air?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I thought the midwest is already a frozen moonscape in the winter? Or do you mean permanently

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is false because it's not physically possible to have colder winters than the midwest does. temperatures scales don't go that low. nice try though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

wouldn't the gulf stream shutting down increase the amount of energy in the gulf air that makes it up to the midwest and causes all that rain when it meets cold canadian air?

russian mud season when it's not frozen yeah

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Equable climate won't be relief, the last time it happened we had palm trees and 'gators as far as the north pole and the average surface temperature of the ocean was like 35C / 95F everywhere. It'll be perma-heatwave.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I thought the midwest is already a frozen moonscape in the winter? Or do you mean permanently

Without the gulf stream and trade winds, the globe will lose most of its temperate season cycles. For northern, sub-arctic latitudes like the UK and the Midwest, this means we'll just be cold all year long with sleet or slush or mud when we're not frozen solid. For sub-tropical latitudes it'll just be hot all year long but somewhat less hot during the winter. There will remain some seasonal variation, but not nearly as much as today. The hotter temperatures will creep toward the poles as runaway global warming continues until eventually it's hot everywhere and we have alligators at the poles again. The end, no moral.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I guess I follow you but where does Dennis hopper's pirate gang get the gas for their jet skis?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

And where do the smokers get their cigarettes?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Its Coke posted:

this is false because it's not physically possible to have colder winters than the midwest does. temperatures scales don't go that low. nice try though

As someone who grew up in central Alaska, lol.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im excited to have a little gator claus ornament on my plastic xmas tree to take my mind off the canabalism and privation of daily life

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
time for a thread title update

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1156924542696116224?s=20

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
coalnado again?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my doctor recommends a coalnado every year to catch butt cancer

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I wonder if it could be a coalfirenado if it really tried hard

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DesperateDan posted:

Maybe if it puts in extra time at the bootstraps factory

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

DesperateDan posted:

aerosolized coal? it would probably explode

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

OLD KANSAS SECTOR DAILY WARNINGS FOR AUGUST 1, 2034
-TEMPERATURE: 137 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT
-AIR QUALITY: GREEN (AIR IS GREEN, USE FILTERS 55A, 32F)
-HYDRATION: LIMITED (FORAGE AT INSECT PITS, DEPTH 20 FEET)
-PATRIOT BIOHACK ACTIVITY: HIGH (KEEP BEFORE-TIMES US FLAG ON YOU AT ALL TIMES)
-COALNADOS: AVG. 2 PER SQ MILE (GOOD DAY FOR DUST COLLECTION)

THIS WARNING BROUGHT TO YOU BY DUSTBINZ: YOUR PREMIER COAL DUST/CORNMEAL EXCHANGE

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Peanut Butler posted:

OLD KANSAS SECTOR DAILY WARNINGS FOR AUGUST 1, 2034
-TEMPERATURE: 137 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT
-AIR QUALITY: GREEN (AIR IS GREEN, USE FILTERS 55A, 32F)
-HYDRATION: LIMITED (FORAGE AT INSECT PITS, DEPTH 20 FEET)
-PATRIOT BIOHACK ACTIVITY: HIGH (KEEP BEFORE-TIMES US FLAG ON YOU AT ALL TIMES)
-COALNADOS: AVG. 2 PER SQ MILE (GOOD DAY FOR DUST COLLECTION)

THIS WARNING BROUGHT TO YOU BY DUSTBINZ: YOUR PREMIER COAL DUST/CORNMEAL EXCHANGE

Looks like investing in Dustbinz is the smart decision. Number Go Up!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1157015875276464129

Too bad Greenland won't exist anymore.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ah, but that's where you're wrong. Since all that pesky ice is melting away to reveal productive earth, Greenland is the rare place that is existing even more.

It's the rest of us that won't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is a moderate-to-mild summer here in texas. it also hasn't rained a drop in five weeks

Bakanogami posted:

Ah, but that's where you're wrong. Since all that pesky ice is melting away to reveal productive earth, Greenland is the rare place that is existing even more.

It's the rest of us that won't exist.

i bet the glaciers melting in ten years instead of ten thousand will affect topsoil creation