Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

fuuuuck it's already full of cat hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CloFan posted:

fuuuuck it's already full of cat hair

If it's not too windy it kicks rear end outside, even on 1s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8kCuOp9E7c

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 27, 2019

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alternative pants posted:

If it's not too windy it kicks rear end outside, even on 1s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8kCuOp9E7c

Your poor leg

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hell yeah it does. I've ran a couple dozen packs at this point, so I'm crashing less at least. Put the Mockingbird tune on there today, although I'm not experienced enough to really tell the difference. Betaflight is a pretty slick interface!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Your poor leg

I'm just fortunate the Tinyhawks have almost no mass. And that I haven't nailed myself in the balls yet.

CloFan posted:

Hell yeah it does. I've ran a couple dozen packs at this point, so I'm crashing less at least. Put the Mockingbird tune on there today, although I'm not experienced enough to really tell the difference. Betaflight is a pretty slick interface!

I'm still learning about PIDs myself, but I know enough to know that if Bardwell recommends it, it must be good!

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
The Aomway Commander V1S goggles I bought during Banggood's big sale came in this afternoon. Today is the day I found out I have a freakishly wide IPD and I can't see clearly out of them :downs:. Because nearly every other set on the market also has the same range of 59-69mm, I'm pretty much stuck with box goggles unless those Orqas that go up to 74mm ever come out and I'm willing to pay for it (nope).

I'm also trying to figure out if these things have a defect (always a good sign of user friendliness if I can't tell if something is faulty or part of intentional operation). It seems to be able to save channel, brightness, and contrast settings, but not input or aspect ratio. The next time I plug them in, it goes right back to the RF input and 16:9, so I have to press the Mode button a bunch of times to get back to where I was. Can any Aomway Commander owners tell me if this is typical, or do I need to contact Banggood or Aomway and get this corrected?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nice. Just picked up one myself.

I have a problem I hope someone here can help me with. After a crash into slightly dewy grass and changing the battery, I still get video with battery voltage, etc., from the OSD, but it doesn't appear my controller is connecting to the receiver. After messing around, my radio did say "telemetry lost", but I can't seem to get it to reconnect. I tried rebinding (but that is always hit-or-miss, ime). This is all after I blasted it with canned air. Any ideas?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You killed your receiver or your FC uart. Replace them and cover them in clear nail polish.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

drat, that sucks. Half the cost of the quad.

Had a hard crash last night, broke a prop and popped out the camera. I need to print the little protector piece, but for now I put it back into it's holder. Also moved the antennas external while I had it apart, maybe that will improve vtx range a tiny bit

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CloFan posted:

Had a hard crash last night, broke a prop and popped out the camera. I need to print the little protector piece, but for now I put it back into it's holder. Also moved the antennas external while I had it apart, maybe that will improve vtx range a tiny bit
Yeah that’s the downside with all in 1 boards. Conformal coating’s really good for avoiding issues like that.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I am happy to report that it has fixed itself. Noted, w.r.t. conformal coating.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CloFan posted:

Pulling the antennae out does a pretty good job with range. I actually just crashed my OG Tinyhawk and broke the threads that the lens screws into, so now is as good a time as any to make a frankenhawk. For now, I’m getting a new frame, a caddx EOS v2 camera, and some bullnose quadblade props. I’m also thinking of getting a micro vtx that’ll do 200mw.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I've put my DJI Googles up for sale and I'm thinking about using the funds to purchase a more "flyable" FPV quad setup. What would be a decent entry point as far as prebuilt drones? I'm not opposed to building my own at some point, but I figure that an established unit would be easier to sell if I decide it isn't for me. Would grabbing a used Tinyhawk combination kit be a decent way to go or would I better off getting one off elements (controller, drone, goggles, ect) in the bang for the buck department?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I'm not familiar with the combo but if it's one with tiny box goggles and a non-real radio then skip it. The tiny box goggles can be okay but don't pay more than 40 bucks for a set. You can buy a used taranis or xlite and sell it for the same amount a year later. Tinyhawk is a cool rear end whoop, but I think the best thing would be a taranis and a simulator (liftoff/drl) to decide if you want to spend more money. If you're going to buy a whoop then tinyhawk is great, if you want a prebuilt quad wait for the hawk 5 to go on sale - all the major shops have 10-20% off at every federal holiday so you can get a great 5" for around $200.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Warbird posted:

I've put my DJI Googles up for sale and I'm thinking about using the funds to purchase a more "flyable" FPV quad setup. What would be a decent entry point as far as prebuilt drones? I'm not opposed to building my own at some point, but I figure that an established unit would be easier to sell if I decide it isn't for me. Would grabbing a used Tinyhawk combination kit be a decent way to go or would I better off getting one off elements (controller, drone, goggles, ect) in the bang for the buck department?
tinyhawk, qx7s and whatever goggles you like.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Here's some mostly-raw footage of my Tinyhawk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3B7L6a6sx4 (check description for some highlight timestamps)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'm starting to part this out so feedback would be appreciated so that I'm not missing anything. I'll likely go with the Tinyhawk for now. The Hawk 5 looks impressive, but may not be the best use/budget pick. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Drone/platform: Tinyhawk (~$85-$110)
Controller/radio: QX7s (~$190)
Goggles: Fatshark(?) (~$100???)

I assume I'll need to part out batteries and a few extra props so that should rise a bit more as far as cost. I'd be interested in hot takes on goggles from those that have some. Fatshark are pretty much the only ones I've encountered so I'm assuming they're popular for a reason. No idea about the different versions/SKUs though. I'll have to take a look through Craigslist as well, the prices above are just from cursory Amazon/eBay searches.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Gotta say I'm real happy with my Attitude v5. $300 and I have nothing to compare it to, but I wanted the slim form-factor and having the slots for diopter lenses means I can enjoy full clarity. No need to buy a module or antennae, either. It's a pain to have to put on my glasses every time I need to recover, but the solution to that is 'crash less' so

e: also budget in some extra batteries. I bought these and they've been fine: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PCP38HT/

CloFan fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 29, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The slim form factor of those and the dominatior FS goggles would be nice, especially coming from a VR HMD style headset that was the DJIs. What is the antenna situation exactly anyway? My understanding is that there are no end of different ones that can be purchased given requirements of distance and surroundings and whatnot. It's all analogue so everything should just work, but maybe not as optimally as other setups, correct?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm new to the hobby so definitely do some fact checking. The 'flagship' FatSharks, Dominator HD0, don't come with a receiver module or antennae, you'd have to buy those separate aftermarket for $50-150 depending on features. 'Diversity' means that you have more than one antenna connector, so that you can mix and match antenna types to optimize performance-- your module will automatically switch to whichever antenna has the best reception at any given time.

As for types, I don't really know much. The V5 comes with an omni-directional (lollipop style?) and a patch. I've read you definitely want a patch antenna. That's an area I really need to research, but that's why I went with the V5 to start: known quality brand, and comes with everything you need to get started.

There's a lot of helpful videos on YouTube about all aspects of FPV flying, including antennae. If you learn something, post it here!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CloFan posted:

I'm new to the hobby so definitely do some fact checking. The 'flagship' FatSharks, Dominator HD0, don't come with a receiver module or antennae, you'd have to buy those separate aftermarket for $50-150 depending on features. 'Diversity' means that you have more than one antenna connector, so that you can mix and match antenna types to optimize performance-- your module will automatically switch to whichever antenna has the best reception at any given time.

As for types, I don't really know much. The V5 comes with an omni-directional (lollipop style?) and a patch. I've read you definitely want a patch antenna. That's an area I really need to research, but that's why I went with the V5 to start: known quality brand, and comes with everything you need to get started.

There's a lot of helpful videos on YouTube about all aspects of FPV flying, including antennae. If you learn something, post it here!

I'm not a fan of the Fatshark style of goggles, so I ended up with the FXT Viper box headset. It also has diversity as well as an onboard DVR, mini HDMI in, and can remove the nosepiece to allow for a hybrid view to give you LoS flying when you come in to land.

They look a little goofy, but they can be worn with glasses, the screen can be pulled out and used apart from the headset, and the usage is super intuitive. It comes with two 5.8 dipoles. I've been meaning to get around to getting a patch antenna and a circular, but the setup out of the box works fine for what I'm doing.

I just went out and flew this pack and pulled the video off the onboard DVR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrGQ_6XN6KA

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 30, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't use CP antennas if you fly a dipole. Get a good dipole and a linear patch.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't use CP antennas if you fly a dipole. Get a good dipole and a linear patch.

I'm trying to find the article, but at least on multirotors, its better to keep the CP. While a linear will obviously work better with a linear when both are aligned optimally (loss of 3db with a CP), a CP will outperform a linear on your receiver at any other point.

(you could also install a cp antenna on your tinyhawk but thats a pain)

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I've kinda decided to give this a shot on my 1s tinyhawk, and once I've figured it out so the same thing on the 2s. There are a couple of lollipops I'm looking at, but I'm not versed enough to pull the trigger on any particular one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

moron izzard posted:

I'm trying to find the article, but at least on multirotors, its better to keep the CP. While a linear will obviously work better with a linear when both are aligned optimally (loss of 3db with a CP), a CP will outperform a linear on your receiver at any other point.

(you could also install a cp antenna on your tinyhawk but thats a pain)
Ah that makes a hunch of sense, thanks

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I guess DJI is announcing some goggles tomorrow?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Will they continue on the "conflate VR and RC for no reason" path, or take the fatshark "worse comfort, image quality, adjustability, and menus than any VR headset for twice the price" path?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Quick glance into the future, the answer is yes!

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
It's an HD FPV system, which is a surprise. Will be interesting to see whether the latency actually works for what fpv pilots would want. Also they went for that Fury Road look with the antennas.

https://store.dji.com/product/dji-digital-fpv-system?vid=83421

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
certainly priced for the youtube reviewer crowd

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I wonder how many Orqa's are getting cancelled

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I loving love how those look.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah they look really cool. Like a fighter jet helmet sort of with the oxygen hookup in the center. And the antenna placement is anime as gently caress

Hope they do a bundle with headset and smaller video TX with no control link poo poo built in. I have nooooo interest in ever leaving crossfire, especially for a 5.8ghz system(unless rotor Riot was mistaken, control and video link is on 5.8)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

certainly priced for the youtube reviewer crowd
It looks miles better than any analog system so meh. I'll prob get an FCC system delivered to me when stock isn't so scarce.

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah they look really cool. Like a fighter jet helmet sort of with the oxygen hookup in the center. And the antenna placement is anime as gently caress

Hope they do a bundle with headset and smaller video TX with no control link poo poo built in. I have nooooo interest in ever leaving crossfire, especially for a 5.8ghz system(unless rotor Riot was mistaken, control and video link is on 5.8)
You can get a kit with goggles and two air units, or just buy components separately.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I want this. In addition to the specs I am sure these will be light years ahead of FatShark WRT comfort and quality.

They are pricey but it’s a lot cheaper than older HD FPV systems and comes with VTX and onboard DVR, like a Runcam Split that doesn’t suck. So compare 819 for Goggles+camera+VTX vs 500 for HDO’s + 150 for Rapidfire + 60 for cam/VTX. So a hundred bucks more, or a wash depending on if you are running an HD cam like a GoPro.

Just a shame that it’s 1) DJI and 2) incompatible with other cheaper stuff like Whoops.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 31, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Price is entirely reasonable. I'd be curious to see what range they can get.

I'll still keep my deposit in on the FPVBlue system, as I'll need a second HD camera, but this does look promising.

On a similar note, I've also been looking at the OpenHD system.
It's still not cheap and latency is too high for proximity, but it also looks decent.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3154184-Open-HD-%28BETA-TESTING%29FPV-Discussion

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder how much of that promo video is actual footage recorded goggle-side, and how much of it was a Gopro backpacking the quad. There's been plenty of bullshit from phone manufacturers in the past, even tho their camera modules are good enough.

The goggles look fancy, tho, even with the four weirdly placed antenna stubs.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
There's an indicator on some of the clips in that video as to what it was shot with, but not all. The HD cam stuff that looks good says it was shot with an OSMO action, not the FPV camera. Some of the racing scenes are from the FPV camera. I didn't see anything that had any artifacting or breakup, which is going to really determine how usable it is for fpv flippy floppies.

timick
Apr 7, 2016

Rotor Riot did a range test of the DJI FPV system and flew about 2.4km close to the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkVrdaZu4s
I'm not sure I can get the air unit to fit in my quad, but it does look tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It took me a long time to figure out how the controller works into the whole ecosystem, but apparently the camera unit doubles as a flight controller (or you could just ignore that and treat it as a VTX if you're just using the camera + goggles). At least, I think that's how it goes.