Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

qbert posted:

Why would anyone want to be an L3 now?

$400 + travel expenses just for some random foils you have to hope will offset that plus I guess some boxes of the latest sets?

I mean congrats to Wizards for somehow convincing people to pay them for the privelage of working for free, I guess.

Considering all of the people involved besides Tim appear to be L3s, I'd say it's to feed their ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ItBreathes posted:

Considering all of the people involved besides Tim appear to be L3s, I'd say it's to feed their ego.

Rob McKenzie is going full damage control on reddit right now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there any way this doesn't fail spectacularly?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

qbert posted:

Why would anyone want to be an L3 now?

$400 + travel expenses just for some random foils you have to hope will offset that plus I guess some boxes of the latest sets?

I mean congrats to Wizards for somehow convincing people to pay them for the privelage of working for free, I guess.

Judges get paid at events, too. For L3s, it's kind of a lot. (Team leads at MagicFests get ~$500 per day.)

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

DangerDongs posted:

I still think you guys all heralding the end of paper magic are over-reacting. Wizards will not stop printing master sets, and people will still go to Gran Prix events for the fun of it.

I absolutely agree with this.

On a less positive note while the new judge program seems like some kind of joke, I think it's probably going to end up being successful, though a sad indictment of the fact a bunch of people are completely happy to pay a company to do a job for the promise of ~shiny cards~

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I for one think it's good that those dastardly leeches called "judges" are being forced to contribute something.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

CellBlock posted:

Judges get paid at events, too. For L3s, it's kind of a lot. (Team leads at MagicFests get ~$500 per day.)

L3s are the only ones that make money at events. L1s lose money, L2s lose money unless they split a hotel with 4 people at minimum. It's actually a growing issue atm - CFB provides staff hotels, but they're 200-250/night USD + taxes. They pay L1s $150 a day for the event.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

CellBlock posted:

Well that's good at least. Does anyone know the rationale behind the higher level judges needing to pay higher yearly dues? Are they getting extra benefits? Just how much are Wizards charging the Academy for these promos?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If this Judge Academy helped contract them out if they desired I would be singing a different tune.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DangerDongs posted:

If this Judge Academy helped contract them out if they desired I would be singing a different tune.

Then they could make the argument that they're employees of the JA just like a temp agency.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

L3s are the only ones that make money at events. L1s lose money, L2s lose money unless they split a hotel with 4 people at minimum. It's actually a growing issue atm - CFB provides staff hotels, but they're 200-250/night USD + taxes. They pay L1s $150 a day for the event.

Once judge foils got dropped as GP support, I couldn't afford to do events anymore. The only L2s I knew who could afford to viewed them as an opportunity to see new places... so long as they worked two twelve hour shifts plus at least one of the extra shifts like teardown/setup, so another ten hours or so there. It also gave them opportunity to socialize with other judges so they'd get voted for Exemplar foils.

Sabin and others are L3s and, like I said, are too invested to drop out because they depend on this.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

DangerDongs posted:

I still think you guys all heralding the end of paper magic are over-reacting. Wizards will not stop printing master sets, and people will still go to Gran Prix events for the fun of it.

Ye, there are tons of people who play magic who will never step into an LGS or visit channel fireball/sch/whatever that the new judge system trash fire will never affect.

This whole thing is a loving mess though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i have to imagine if nothing else this will be devastating to the number of active L1s, to say nothing of future recruitment of them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
This is astoundingly stupid. Like I play maybe 2 events a year that have a proper judge show up. Really sucks for him, since I think he has to travel like over an hour to get to our LGS.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's actually a growing issue atm - CFB provides staff hotels, but they're 200-250/night USD + taxes.

wait so this is what they make the judges pay, not a reimbursement or something like that? how is that anything but a grift, that's not how much a hotel room costs

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

A big flaming stink posted:

i have to imagine if nothing else this will be devastating to the number of active L1s, to say nothing of future recruitment of them.

Yep. Can confirm. I wanted to get certified as a level 1 judge before, just for the fun of it and also because I had a knack for the rules. Now though? Nope.

I also do have a friend who's a level 1 now, who was already considering dropping certification before the announcement. I haven't heard his reaction yet, but I'm pretty certain he's dropping it now.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

little munchkin posted:

wait so this is what they make the judges pay, not a reimbursement or something like that? how is that anything but a grift, that's not how much a hotel room costs

They're pre-booked by CFB (I have no idea if they're re-sold at rate) because they don't actually tell judges if they're working an event until after hotels would be more than that to be close to the venue.

e; I should point out, it's SUPER common for people to buy tickets with the idea of "I'm going to this event, I'm just not sure if it's as a judge or as a player yet"

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Skyl3lazer posted:

As an L1, you probably shouldn't judge an event you can't commute to/from. $150 a day to work in, say Baltimore or DC is fine (for someone who lives in Fairfax). I agree it's not enough to travel, but the point was never for L1s to travel around the country to events.

(L2s are/were sort of expected to travel regionally, so they're in an odd boat. PPTQs helped them a bit since they could run "big" events completely locally, but then they got rid of those...)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've never personally felt such a disconnect between end product and corporation. I imagine I have to jump through the same mental hoops now to enjoy Magic as people who eat Chik-fil-A or buy Nike shoes. (Not to compare judging wizard poker to actual human rights violations, though MLM schemes are pretty up there.)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Also interesting: they nixed a plan for no-foil-no-fees, featuring a judge implying they get sex for sponsoring a mentee

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

LifeLynx posted:

I've never personally felt such a disconnect between end product and corporation. I imagine I have to jump through the same mental hoops now to enjoy Magic as people who eat Chik-fil-A or buy Nike shoes. (Not to compare judging wizard poker to actual human rights violations, though MLM schemes are pretty up there.)

I'm not saying that labor abuses aren't awful but the scale of the judge program is a drop in the bucket compared to what major corporations (including Hasbro/WotC) do with contract/part time labor constantly.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lmao at this entire thing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah this is more shockingly blatant but in sheer human misery this a snowflake on top of the tip of the iceberg

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

I am at a loss at who this is even benefiting then. IF CFB and SCG don't even need Judge Academy, who the gently caress is this for? Like, is WOTC going to dissolve the need for judges all together?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

I am at a loss at who this is even benefiting then. IF CFB and SCG don't even need Judge Academy, who the gently caress is this for?

Judge Academy is paying WotC for the foils (so WotC makes money) and this Tim Shields guy gets the rest. They pay for some cheap rear end judge tshirts and AWS web hosting for a single forum, and some 3k/yr stipend to a few rubes to promote it.

CFBE gets legal protection from the type of lawsuit WotC got hit with last year

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is amazing

I get that their lawyers probably told them they can't force people to use JA judges to maintain distance or whatever but like it's so loving dumb

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Judges deserve it tbh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Judge Academy is paying WotC for the foils (so WotC makes money) and this Tim Shields guy gets the rest. They pay for some cheap rear end judge tshirts and AWS web hosting for a single forum, and some 3k/yr stipend to a few rubes to promote it.

CFBE gets legal protection from the type of lawsuit WotC got hit with last year

Just so we are clear, are judges required for anything anymore? Like do you need it for comp rel at any level? Yes they are desired, yes they are probably needed to run a smooth event, but are they actually required anymore?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
On another note of WotC being smart, they raised the price of boosters following their abolishment of MSRP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/cjaox3/uk_lgs_owner_on_price_increases/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm now launching Timmy's Judge Emporium. You get to be a SSJ 1 / 2 / 3 / IV Judge, I keep all the foil Judge promos.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

I am at a loss at who this is even benefiting then. IF CFB and SCG don't even need Judge Academy, who the gently caress is this for? Like, is WOTC going to dissolve the need for judges all together?

In one of the first shared screenshots EDB said that wotc was dissolving the program entirely after the lawsuit was thrown out. I think in April or May there was that big issue where there was some store running an MCQ without any certified judge and the response was more or less that it was allowed - the event guidelines had judge recommendations but not requirements.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/cubeapril/status/1155896271456129024?s=21

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jeoh posted:

I'm now launching Timmy's Judge Emporium. You get to be a SSJ 1 / 2 / 3 / IV Judge, I keep all the foil Judge promos.

Rename the first tier to Tier 4, what a crazy good deal don't even have to pay $800 for it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Just so we are clear, are judges required for anything anymore? Like do you need it for comp rel at any level? Yes they are desired, yes they are probably needed to run a smooth event, but are they actually required anymore?

Brian Prillaman is one of the Advisory Board

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Brian Prillaman is one of the advisors

This is grifting to the max then. :allears:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yikes

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
A week ago, I thought WotC was a relatively intelligent, reasonable company that understood the strengths and weaknesses of Magic as a product compared to other games. I no longer think that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Where were you when organized play died?

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Holy poo poo am I glad to be getting out of the paper half of this game. What a bunch of nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
So if WOTC doesn't require judges from a certain organization etc. then nothing is actually stopping anyone (other than motivation and time) to create their own rival certification process that doesn't have fees etc. right? They just wouldn't get sweet judge foils from WOTC.