Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Fellatio del Toro posted:

seriously though why the gently caress can't I play as a Moogle

This would be the one thing that would make me finally use that free Fantasia I've had in my inventory for so long. I wouldn't even care that much about glamour; just make 'em have those armor/weapon sets that they wear denoting their class.

Though that does raise a question: traditional moogles or Ivalician moogles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FutureCop posted:

This would be the one thing that would make me finally use that free Fantasia I've had in my inventory for so long. I wouldn't even care that much about glamour; just make 'em have those armor/weapon sets that they wear denoting their class.

Though that does raise a question: traditional moogles or Ivalician moogles?

A robot cat that yells at a stuffed animal.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
x-2 was the best ff game prior to xiv :hmmyes:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Instead of buttons the class only responds to voice commands in Japanese.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

UHD posted:

meant ff xiv actually

cause I dunno what the difference would be in this game unless it’s something like “alchemist, but instead of your inventory you target a face” and then crafting actions have potency and it gets away from me

its more like, people want a healer styled after alchemist and chemist, but since alchemist is already taken as a crafting class, it must be named chemist.

I would totally take a chemist but after realizing that if we got geomancer it would be a very eastern styled healer im also 100% for that too.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I think a chemist healer would work really well with the charging cd mechanic. Have a basic heal and you can expend a charge on 1 of 3 ability's to make it a bigger heal, an aoe heal and a shield heal. Same kind've thing with dps the base ability is the basic attack and you have charged modifiers to make it a dot or aoe. You then have a mix cd that lets you apply two modifiers to the base ability at once

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
How has no one brought up Calculator yet? Make it a healer/support job that hands out math problems to party members a la Construct 7. Right answer: Dmg up + heal. Wrong answer: Undispellable slow for a set amount of time

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

think I’d prefer a gun based healer

load up a gun with paintballs filled with healing juice

to dps you fill them with poison or perhaps rocks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Calculator was total cheese bullshit in FFT.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Melee Healer

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Catmancer (which really should have been Nekomancer, :cmon:) from Bravely Second

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Vermain posted:

I played Mistweaver and HPal back in WoW. The reason I enjoy healing in FFXIV a lot more than there is because there's far more of a focus on efficient resource usage. HPal in Legion was basically me spamming three buttons as fast as my wrists allowed. My two main cooldowns were bound to a single button that I'd mash whenever they were both available. FFXIV, especially in ShB, has the lion's share of your healing being done by oGCDs, and managing their respective cooldowns or shared resources is an important part of optimizing them. There's an element of planning and deliberate usage that isn't there in the other MMOs I've played.

Did you play Holy Paladin back in Mists of Pandaria? Oh man it was the best. It was a combination of Scholor and White Mage, it had both an overheal mechanic that caused shielding much like Galvanize, and Holy Power, which were the Lilies. Then they took all of that away in Warlords of Dranor and replaced it with Holy Beacons which you just put on the tanks and forget, so you are relegated to spamming the same two healing buttons over and over likes its 2004.

I have never seen a class so thoroughly destroyed before.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

inferis posted:

Melee Healer

PUNCHHEALS

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Job That Just Casts Vanish And X-Zone

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

when do they tell us what int he patch

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

queeb posted:

when do they tell us what int he patch

Some time around the servers go down.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

inferis posted:

Melee Healer

Is the warhammer mmo the only one who has done this ? Wow always half assed it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

euphronius posted:

TOR has it. Operatives and scoundrels are close range classes, with a mix of melee and technically-ranged-but-almost-melee abilities. They, along with the genuinely ranged commandos and mercenaries, also do the "Heal people by shooting healing bolts/darts/rockets/bombs" thing.

Edit: Wow someone's salty.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Your Computer posted:

I'd love to see time mage, chemist, spell fencer, geomancer and also nekomancer from Bravely :colbert:

Astrologian already cannibalized most of Time Mages aesthetic.

Spell Fencer is just Red Mage.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

euphronius posted:

I think Friars in DAoC had a similar schtick but I dont remember good

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I come bearing screenshots!

Cowboy getup works well for GNB

Also Bandwagon tax

I hate that the DNC level 80 job gear is a bikini instead of something cooler

Regular DNC glamour is much better, IMO.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Astrologian already cannibalized most of Time Mages aesthetic.

Spell Fencer is just Red Mage.
Astrologian actually had their Time Mage spells stripped in Shadowbringers, which is clearly a sign that they're working on Time Mage next :pray:

Spell Fencers aren't Red Mages at all, they're a pure melee job that specialize in buffing their own weapons with various elements and ailments. Monk got the closest with the Fists of Earth/Wind/Fire but you just use one of those so it doesn't count.

a kitten posted:

Catmancer (which really should have been Nekomancer, :cmon:) from Bravely Second
finally someone agrees

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fun Times! posted:

So, I've started the Hildebrand questline. My jaw is on the floor.

Same. This poo poo is hilarious.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

inferis posted:

Melee Healer

As much as I'd like it, there's a big, fundamental problem with the concept: it completely breaks the action/mobility economy that the other healers are balanced around, unless you give every attack a cast time (which would feel awfully weird).

I'd personally be happy with a Chemist/Apothecary job. You can probably do something cute with the Mix system, and they're aesthetically distinct enough from the other healers and other gun jobs that you don't have to worry about stylistic overlaps.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

That was incredible. (Also EX dungeon spoilers, sort of)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd love to see Chemist and Calculator as limited jobs, go all in on what made them OP in previous games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

I'd love to see Chemist and Calculator as limited jobs, go all in on what made them OP in previous games.
please do not add more limited jobs until they're allowed to have fun :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What about gambler/lady luck? You fill out minicactpot tickets to deal damage. LB3 is the jumbo cactpot wheels.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Your Computer posted:

please do not add more limited jobs until they're allowed to have fun :(

Cackling maniacally while pressing 1000 needles is fun.

...for a while

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hobbesmaster posted:

What about gambler/lady luck? You fill out minicactpot tickets to deal damage. LB3 is the jumbo cactpot wheels.
I could see Gambler working with some kind of DPS version of the astrologian cards, but much more RNG than that and people will be complaining. It would also be really funny if they built Gambler to have literally no RNG component at all.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Broke: Blue Mage
Woke: Green Mage
Bespoke: Time Mage

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

If they ever do make an Apothecary/Chemist class I hope their weapon is the Hand Mortar.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Cackling maniacally while pressing 1000 needles is fun.

...for a while

Being able to solo Deepcroft before level 20 was awesome.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haunted Manor was a cool instance. Hope they stay cool like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I really hope we eventually get to see Hildebrand try his hand at romance, and the carnage that would undoubtedly ensue. Yes, he has Nashu, but I'm not sure either of them have realised that yet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Propagandist posted:

Broke: Blue Mage
Woke: Green Mage
Bespoke: Time Mage

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

My pie in the sky healing class idea was an FFV style Necromancer, where you make your party undead and heal them by casting Death on them.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Actually I think they should add more classes that use shields or other offhands, it's weird how there's only one combat class left that does so

I mean double (gun)shield tank is obviously choice #1, but I'm sure there's more to do there, like a mace plus shield type of deal (which for some reason is FF12 Red Mage)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

loving god damnit argh I still can't decide between Red Mage and Dancer.

So I just keep playing my Warrior while playing for time and occasionally playing a bit of both of the others.

e: and I thought Gunbreaker was going to be the double gun arm shield Empire guys, and was bitterly disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
FF14 is very conservative about jobs within a given role, which can be a bit dull but let's them make a lot of assumptions in the fight design about what sort of mechanics can target a healer/tank and so on. That plus the determination to never obsolete anything means we're probably not going to see any radical departures from the norm in any new jobs.

My best guess would be Chemist and Magitech Knight for 6.0 to go with a Garlemald theme but time'll tell. Not like previous jobs have all been based on where you go in that expansion.