Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Y I K E S

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

"The numbers seemed very round"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I was talking with some judge friends over the weekend at SCG and it’s pretty obvious that qualified judges are the only reason competitive magic works at all. The kind of poo poo these guys have to fix and deal with is absolutely mind-boggling, like the player who decided he didn’t want to stack his opponent’s pact trigger because he thought that meant oppo would lose the game. Even after explaining, guy still decided not to stack the trigger and then freaked out when he had to continue to play the game.

What I’m saying is pay the judges at least as well as a public school kindergarten teacher.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

jassi007 posted:

So if WOTC doesn't require judges from a certain organization etc. then nothing is actually stopping anyone (other than motivation and time) to create their own rival certification process that doesn't have fees etc. right? They just wouldn't get sweet judge foils from WOTC.

well uh lol I would get some clarity here but if EDB is correct I think this is *moderately* illegal

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

jassi007 posted:

So if WOTC doesn't require judges from a certain organization etc. then nothing is actually stopping anyone (other than motivation and time) to create their own rival certification process that doesn't have fees etc. right? They just wouldn't get sweet judge foils from WOTC.

Time, the fact that even if you had a bunch of certified judges they'd still want paid so you're right back to where you were before.

Judges are the backbone of organized play and as numerous people have stated over the years, organized play is the reason Magic has succeeded where so many others have failed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

well uh lol I would get some clarity here but if EDB is correct I think this is *moderately* illegal

"Other than the obvious that it may be hard to compete with a block of well trained professionals with resources behind them"

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Top level comedy! (How incredibly pompous for a children card game judge)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

WotC somehow found the formula to get people to pay to do slave labor. Astonishing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Skyl3lazer posted:

lmao at this entire thing

Skyl3lazer posted:

Brian Prillaman is one of the Advisory Board

This is all just amazing. Better legal theater than the Mueller hearings.

I don't think organized paper play is dead dead but ho boy they are not doing it any favors. Can't wait for the Desert Sky Games blog to come back from hiatus and speak on all this.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

was Desert Sky the one that didn't want to use the London Mulligan because MUH FREEDOMS or was that something else

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I don't think so but it could've been. Can't remember the name of the shop from the screencaps.

Non-judge chat edit: The Ravnica Guild battle challenge on Arena was much easier than I expected, nice low effort way to get some alternate land arts. I recommend picking Orzhov - easy to grind out wins, plenty of removal, and most decks fold to a resolved Ethereal Absolution.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 29, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

lmao

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lone Goat posted:

was Desert Sky the one that didn't want to use the London Mulligan because MUH FREEDOMS or was that something else

Nah, they've been blogging about running a successful lgs for years now.

E: link

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

WotC somehow found the formula to get people to pay to do slave labor. Astonishing.

I agree that this is garbage but could we seriously not compare it to slave labor.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

jassi007 posted:

This seems like what they're actually angling for

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I just had a thought.

Since the judge program is dissolving, the truth is nobody is l1, l2, l3, etc. That organization is gone. This new company is wanting to charge you to be a certain rank for a few based on their own processes.

Seems misleading. Seems like they aren't actually telling people the truth.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lawnie posted:

The kind of poo poo these guys have to fix and deal with is absolutely mind-boggling, like the player who decided he didn’t want to stack his opponent’s pact trigger because he thought that meant oppo would lose the game. Even after explaining, guy still decided not to stack the trigger and then freaked out when he had to continue to play the game.

I know this isn't the point of the discussion, but what the hell? Was he trying to say he didn't have to put the ability on the stack for some reason? I'm not sure that's worse than the thing holydiva had on twitter earlier, but it's close.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

admanb posted:

I agree that this is garbage but could we seriously not compare it to slave labor.

Compromise: indentured servitude.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
MLM but instead of the dream of ripping off 100s of rubes yourself you get some cardboard and the title lord of the nerds

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is highly reminiscent of how the Nursing (and medicine in general) landscape is changing. The costs associated with maintaining AACN/ACEN accreditation have inflated so much over the last 20 years and the organizations have become such bloated messes that schools of nursing are just letting their accreditation’s lapse. It just isn’t worth it.

I figure we are going to see a speed run of that evolution at work here. Though, I would t be surprised to hear a fat embezzlement scandal drop from this within the next couple years. It is certainly set up for it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Big thanks to the boring shitlords that cross posted stuff to reddit :mad:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

rkajdi posted:

I know this isn't the point of the discussion, but what the hell? Was he trying to say he didn't have to put the ability on the stack for some reason? I'm not sure that's worse than the thing holydiva had on twitter earlier, but it's close.

the player thought that choosing to not retroactively put the pact trigger on the stack meant the opponent could never pay for it, and therefore would lose. even after having it repeatedly explained to them that this was not true, the player chose not to. then when their opponent didn't have to pay the mana and also would not lose the game, they got mad at the judge

it's not meant to be a story of judge incompetence, it's a story of the poo poo that judges have to deal with

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skyl3lazer posted:

Unfortunately that's how forums work. Might've even been an unregistered lurker.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So even cfb and scg don't have to use this system. I imagine they'd pay a heavy price from wotc if they didn't though.

Would be pretty funny to see a gp going on with former l2/l3s while the mythic championship next door has struggled to find judge academy accredited judges.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

the player thought that choosing to not retroactively put the pact trigger on the stack meant the opponent could never pay for it, and therefore would lose. even after having it repeatedly explained to them that this was not true, the player chose not to. then when their opponent didn't have to pay the mana and also would not lose the game, they got mad at the judge

it's not meant to be a story of judge incompetence, it's a story of the poo poo that judges have to deal with

In the holy diva example, I wasn’t thinking no the judge incompetence angle so much as the take backsies one. You get the stink eye for doing that at an FMM, much less a major event.

Plus, it’s a must not a may effect, so everyone is responsible for keeping the condition right. I will never be shocked how people try to warp anything into a cheap win.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Skyl3lazer posted:

You can't trick us, I saw you posting on reddit y'self.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Cynic Jester posted:

You can't trick us, I saw you posting on reddit y'self.

Yeah I dont post screenies there though ew

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Countdown to the first events cancelled due to lack of judges.

Considering any LGS needs an L1 to run any real event, is this now a tax on paper events for any venue?

Even if judge fees can be subsidized by venues that means that... venues would be paying a liscensing fee for the privilege to run events for a product they carry?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Skyl3lazer posted:

you know exactly who this is

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Balon posted:

Countdown to the first events cancelled due to lack of judges.

Considering any LGS needs an L1 to run any real event, is this now a tax on paper events for any venue?

Even if judge fees can be subsidized by venues that means that... venues would be paying a liscensing fee for the privilege to run events for a product they carry?

I don't think there are requirements on judges for events anymore, though they've been unwilling to give a direct answer on that one.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
A lot of the ire towards this new announcement is probably also related to the fact that there are zero tangible benefits to the individual judges under this new system. So essentially, all judges are still receiving exactly the same things they've been receiving before this change, everything else is operating basically the same, only now you have to pay a big annual fee. So as a judge I would just eat an extra $100-$400 loss annually with nothing in return to what I was previously getting.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

qbert posted:

A lot of the ire towards this new announcement is probably also related to the fact that there are zero tangible benefits to the individual judges under this new system. So essentially, all judges are still receiving exactly the same things they've been receiving before this change, everything else is operating basically the same, only now you have to pay a big annual fee. So as a judge I would just eat an extra $100-$400 loss annually with nothing in return to what I was previously getting.

Well in theory you're getting judge foils that you weren't before, what with the whole exemplar thing basically being a who-do-you-know arrangement.

Granted that's an even further legitimization of the secondary market which is :barf: so.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
All of this is gross and I am baffled as to why they thought this was a good idea.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

my guess is that this is driven less by the ongoing cost of judges were they to be paid and more about "hrmm what happens if we gotta pay up for the last 25 years"

Ohhh. Okay that's a good point.

But isn't WoTC/Hasbro still on the hook for the work performed over the last 25 years whether the program continues or not?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ShaneB posted:

you know exactly who this is

lol I dont but either way I guess cat is out of the bag now.

To continue on the investigation in to How Tim Got In To All Of This

This really makes me think wotc had a hand in his participation, but I doubt we'll ever find out more about him to be honest.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This whole judge thing is just absolutely astounding. I have never actually played in a judged event but back in my ultimate frisbee days I did all the stuff to get certified both as a coach and "observer" (basically a ref) and even the ultimate frisbee governing organization, which is a mess on its best days gave me way more in benefits and for a lower price.

Who the hell is going to pay $100+ for the privilege of working events? This whole thing is just baffling and I'm almost convinced its some kind of "Springtime for Hitler"-esque scheme because it's impossible they could have thought this was going to work.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

axeil posted:

This whole judge thing is just absolutely astounding. I have never actually played in a judged event but back in my ultimate frisbee days I did all the stuff to get certified both as a coach and "observer" (basically a ref) and even the ultimate frisbee governing organization, which is a mess on its best days gave me way more in benefits and for a lower price.

Who the hell is going to pay $100+ for the privilege of working events? This whole thing is just baffling and I'm almost convinced its some kind of "Springtime for Hitler"-esque scheme because it's impossible they could have thought this was going to work.

Never underestimate the poor judgement of nerds

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

axeil posted:

I think that was an honest (as in, non grift) price point they thought it would take to survive the drop in judges they anticipate, or at least to minimize the damage until more people (hopefully, to them) sign on.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I'd agree, but

Insurrectionist posted:

MLM but instead of the dream of ripping off 100s of rubes yourself you get some cardboard and the title lord of the nerds

makes a pretty compelling argument for it's success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

what got xposted?