Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

So forgetting Mars and the Moon for a second...

What about exploring the upper atmosphere of Venus? Nasa awarded a contract to work on a proposal to do that last year

The plan is called HAVOC

Instead of struggling to stop radiation from killing you, Venus has ample atmosphere to block cosmic rays and radiation. Instead of struggling to find air and heat, Venus has as much CO2 to process as we could ever want. And the solar irradiance is much higher than Earth instead of much lower like Mars. And the "Earth-like" portion of the atmosphere, pressure-wise, is basically the same temperature as temperate Earth. Earth's breathable atmosphere is a lifting gas in Venus's atmosphere, and with virtually equal pressures, any breach in the balloon holding up the aerostat would only slowly leak out, giving time to patch/maintain the leak.

And instead of perchlorates and dust and radiation and freezing temperatures, you have to deal with winds and sulphuric acid attacking things exposed to the atmosphere. If we had a process that could filter the acid from the atmosphere, plants could breathe the Venus air (as far as we currently know) and produce oxygen the old-fashioned way). Materials that are resistant to sulphuric acid aren't that hard to engineer. The delta-V to Venus orbit is less than Mars. Why aren't we talking about going to Venus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
As a bonus, you could just jettison your garbage and excess corpses out of the airlock on your Cloud City station and let gravity and air pressure do the rest.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 25, 2019

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Infinite Karma posted:

What about exploring the upper atmosphere of Venus? Nasa awarded a contract to work on a proposal to do that last year

The plan is called HAVOC

Instead of struggling to stop radiation from killing you, Venus has ample atmosphere to block cosmic rays and radiation. Instead of struggling to find air and heat, Venus has as much CO2 to process as we could ever want. And the solar irradiance is much higher than Earth instead of much lower like Mars. And the "Earth-like" portion of the atmosphere, pressure-wise, is basically the same temperature as temperate Earth. Earth's breathable atmosphere is a lifting gas in Venus's atmosphere, and with virtually equal pressures, any breach in the balloon holding up the aerostat would only slowly leak out, giving time to patch/maintain the leak.

And instead of perchlorates and dust and radiation and freezing temperatures, you have to deal with winds and sulphuric acid attacking things exposed to the atmosphere. If we had a process that could filter the acid from the atmosphere, plants could breathe the Venus air (as far as we currently know) and produce oxygen the old-fashioned way). Materials that are resistant to sulphuric acid aren't that hard to engineer. The delta-V to Venus orbit is less than Mars. Why aren't we talking about going to Venus?

Because Venusian sounds dumber than Martian.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

Doesn't matter when it's Venusian, baby!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Kerning Chameleon posted:

As a bonus, you could just jettison your garbage and excess corpses out of the airlock on your Cloud City station and let gravity and air pressure do the rest.
Plus you get to avoid the whole Ghosts of Mars haunting stuff. No ghosts at 160,000 feet baby!

Unoriginal Name posted:

Petition to officially switch the names of Mars and Venus

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Infinite Karma posted:

The plan is called HAVOC

Because psychologically Mars has been pumped up a more. Remember the canals thing etc. There's 5 mars movies per 1 venus movie maybe even higher its always been a schtick. And venus looks like jupiter and jupiter is scary (for people not browing the space thread in a debate forum on an internet forum)

I personally am hit harder by mars discoveries than venus ones.Whuch I assumes psychological conditioning by media. Your post was a wonderful read though.

--

Okay so with mars. What do you guys see as more likely underground civilizations with outposts above or a mostly above ground civilization?

And by civilization i mean like 1,000 ish people

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I also imagine that constructing a cloud city/outpost on Venus isn't even on the drawing board of any agency, and probably requires building something in orbit and then lowering it in.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Raenir Salazar posted:

I also imagine that constructing a cloud city/outpost on Venus isn't even on the drawing board of any agency, and probably requires building something in orbit and then lowering it in.

Why? From what I understand an airship would be sufficient for an exploration mission

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we communicate with mars or the moon in real time?id love a good read on inter space communication.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Can we communicate with mars or the moon in real time?id love a good read on inter space communication.

There's a light-speed delay of a little more than one or two seconds in general for round-trip lunar communication, and anywhere from 14 to 50 or so minutes for round-trip communication to Mars, based on the orbits.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ashpanash posted:

There's a light-speed delay of a little more than one or two seconds in general for round-trip lunar communication, and anywhere from 14 to 50 or so minutes for round-trip communication to Mars, based on the orbits.

If we daisy chained satellites from earth to mars can we make it faster?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's why I made the post, NASA has a pretty advanced drawing board in that second link for sending a balloon into the clouds. They did proof of concept tests on various materials in concentrated sulfuric acid to see the effects long-term, and trajectory calculations.

A cloud city would basically be a space station suspended by aerostat balloons (but in Venus's atmosphere), and could be put together modularly. Even that isn't really planned yet anymore than Mars exploration is planned beyond the first manned mission. Right now there is a plan to go there and spend X amount of days in a single capsule doing research, then fly back.

Also, I forgot in the original post, gravity on Venus is about 0.9g. Having readily available Carbon and Nitrogen in situ is also a big deal, since that means we won't have to bring as much of those if we were going to try and make a permanent colony there.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

If we daisy chained satellites from earth to mars can we make it faster?

No, the limitation is based on the speed of light. But we could use satellites to improve the bandwidth.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/space-communications-are-stuck-in-the-dial-up-age-which-means-its-time-for-more-lasers/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 25, 2019

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Rappaport posted:

Who is 'us' in this scenario? The thousands of slave labourers digging up that thorium probably would have some complaints.

Humans built the pyramids. Worked in mines throughout history. Theyll dig for thorium

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Ah, thank you, that's a good refresher on dark matter vs. other theories; it's been a while since I've read about any of that in detail.

dex_sda posted:

Here's the problem with all this, and forgive me for nerding out about relativity, I simply fuckin love it. All relativity basically can be summed up as: "From the viewpoint of every observer, physics look the same. Massless particles travel at a universal speed, called 'c' (these two are enough to derive all of special relativity, the equivalence of matter and energy, and get the notion of 4 dimensional spacetime. Yes, really). Objects which aren't acted on follow a geodesic in the 4-dimensional spacetime (basically, a straight line, even in curved geometry. Like a direct line between points on a globe is a geodesic). Presence of matter curves this spacetime, and the manifestation of this is a pseudo-force we call gravity. In the first order approximation, this pseudo-force operates according to Newtonian mechanics."

No, please, nerd out, because I have questions. For one; why call gravity of a pseudo-force? It's one of the four fundamental forces, even if it is the outlier that seems least explained in spite of ostensibly being fully explained. We've detected gravitational waves; if there's a wave, there could be a particle, though describing the particle puts us into the weeds of things like MOND once more. So what is gravity?

dex_sda posted:

These are more or less enough to derive general relativity, whole cloth. Of course, doing that is a daunting mathematical task, but it's philosophically incredibly simple. And conceiving of it is why Einstein is considered an unparalleled genius. After derivation, what you end up with is a single field that can be easily described using the action principle:

Simple and elegant. Using it for calculations is difficult, but nevertheless, it's a pleasing equation.

By way of comparison, to this action, TeVeS added another action. Then when other observations shown it was bad, it added another action. To account for all the varying sources of data, it ended up being an equivalent of more than 6 different fields cointeracting seemingly randomly. Here's the action for TeVeS:

I think our concepts differe on what a pleasing equation looks like.

I can understand TeVeS struggling to explain evidence we're seeing without bloating, but at the same time I'd never expect the totality of math explaining a fundamental force to be simple, even if it philosophically is. Mostly because Maxwell's Equations with their partial differential equations sure as hell aren't. Einstein surely deserves the accolades he gets for explaining general relativity so succinctly but at the same time, does that mean it's fully explained?

dex_sda posted:

This is what I mean by compounding artificial assumptions. There is no good reason it should look like that, from a physical and a philosophical point of view, they just make it fit any new data. That makes a theory suspect on arrival. I wouldn't go as far as to call it pseudoscience, but it's not far from it. TeVeS is probably the theory that fits the largest proportion of the data, and it still can't touch cold dark matter for predictive power.

Eh, a pseudoscience claims evidence when it doesn't have it. TeVeS, MOND, etc. are untested or unproven theories. They're also messy, as you noted. Anything that's going to resolve the questions of what the hell gravity is in a better way than we currently have look like they'll be coming out of left field. Or, again, the weirdos and their strings are going to be right and that's going to suck for everyone.

dex_sda posted:

You might wonder why I put the elegance of equations on the pedestal.

I very much do, yes!

dex_sda posted:

Well, it kinda seems like the universe does it, too. Dirac noticed some of his calculations could yield negative as well as positive roots, and instead of throwing out the negative ones as unphysical, he posited the existence of antimatter, guessed its properties, and was proven right decades later. And the Higgs boson could be an infinite family of particles, but Higgs picked the properties of the answer that was most elegant and most pleasing mathematically. That's where we searched for it, and that's where we found it. The Universe is a giant physics nerd.

See, that's interesting but also concerning because so far no one has found a simple reconciliation between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It's concerning because if people are expecting it to be simple, are they going to dismiss the complex explanations and fail to test them as thoroughly as they should?

dex_sda posted:

Research on DM is twofold. First off, we have the laboratory called the Universe, and we try to search for something, anything, to disprove the DM hypothesis. Believe you me, astronomers and relativists alike don't enjoy that we basically put a term we know nothing more about in our understanding of the universe, but wherever we look, DM seems to be a measurable, mappable phenomenon.

Yeah, it seems measurable and mappable, but until we have a handle on what it is rather than what it's doing there's a chance we're going to find something that recontextualizes all of those observations. Which, it might still be dark matter we end up with, but also something ridiculous like a fifth fundamental force.

dex_sda posted:

The other research is indeed the properties, with the goal of detecting it. We know it's cold and neutral, so electromagnetic is out. Without electromagnetism, there can be no chemistry, and if it interacted strongly, it would be very easy to detect. Also out. It cannot be massless. So it's a weakly interacting massive particle, much like neutrinos, except it should have more mass than we expect. By the way, does it interact weakly at all? We assume so, primarily cause it had to have been created somehow, so you'd expect another field to interact with it somehow. But maybe it isn't? We want it to be, because if it doesn't interact weakly at all, but interacts gravitationally, there is no possibility to detect it other than by gravitation. It would mean we'd have a "dark matter" we can only observe through lensing, forever. Not being able to discern it's mass, even. Scientists don't enjoy that thought, but who are we to say the universe plays fair?

Yeah. This is where I am with dark matter; we can see what we think are its effects, but we aren't making a whole lot of progress on describing the particles its made out of and what they're capable of. If the Universe is a giant physics nerd, why would it have a non-baryonic matter that is only matter because of the density it exhibits rather than because it has a chemistry? To make the math look nicer? That'd really suck.

Speaking as a chemist, it's already bullshit enough that the last stable element on the Periodic Table is lead at element 82 and every one after that only becomes more radioactive and shorter lived. All of the elements past the Actinides we've discovered are unlikely to ever be more than novelties useful for studying particle physics, and the only thing we're aware of that could be groundshaking is if we manage to discover element 174 and either find out something never before seen about nuclear physics or disprove general relativity.

dex_sda posted:

Not really my area of expertise, but it should fit supersymmetry quite okay. It's not a SM particle, whatever it is, and could probably preserve symmetry the same way neutrinos do, by anti-dark matter having a different chirality.

Yeah, that makes sense.

dex_sda posted:

There is generational inertia, of course, in academia, but it's more like 20 years. It simply had to do with one thing: Einstein wasn't very credible when he made his Annum Mirabilis papers. He misused references when he used them, and he was a patent clerk putting stuff in a german journal. In particular with relativity, the papers in 1905 and then the GR ones read as if Einstein made them out of nothing, by pure thought alone, without external help from physicists. This is shockingly close to the truth, by the way (he mostly asked mathematicians for help, and even there he was the pioneer of many of the concepts), but it made his predictions look like some dumb rear end in a top hat putting out dumb poo poo. This one time it happened to be the smartest dumb rear end in a top hat around putting out the smartest dumb poo poo.

New scientists that came into physics like half a decade after Einstein were all over his findings, by the way, since they were super fuckin' cool, and they didn't have the preconceptions. But the preconceptions were kind of warranted.

That's part of my curiosity with general relativity; Einstein was a brilliant dumbass with conceiving of it, but now we have the fact three of the four fundamental forces are explained by quantum mechanics and then we have gravity over here in the corner, so ridiculously weak it apparently isn't a factor at the microscopic level, and we still don't know if it has a carrier particle for sure or what it's doing other than pulling things together only when there's literally nothing pushing them apart. General relativity makes so many things we see make sense, but the one thing it doesn't help make sense of is how it actually does all of that.

dex_sda posted:

Hard to say. By the anthropic principle, we should expect parallel universes. But interacting with them is still metaphysics at this point. That's not even getting into the many-worlds/copenhagen debate (where I personally think 'many worlds' despite all problems, but really I want Penrose's interpretation to be correct).

Oooh, interesting. I've seen the name Penrose Interpretation before but have never read about it. Time to do that!

dex_sda posted:

* all images are sourced from a wonderful essay by Sean Carroll, which elaborates on the problems with TeVeS and MOND.

Seeing that essay, I want to say I read it years ago when it first came out but clearly I've forgotten most of it. Also I removed the images from where I quoted you; they appear to be leeched and I don't know if that's still against the rules here or not, as a heads up.

dex_sda posted:

Finally, Mars has higher gravity, which is actually a disadvantage, as it's harder to leave the gravity well, making return crafts bulkier and therefore requiring a massive increase in starting fuel, in accordance with the Tsiolkovsky equation.

Whooooa hold up, sanity check. Mars is smaller than Earth and no more dense; it has less gravity and a shallower gravity well. If Mars had more gravity than Earth it'd have more of its atmosphere left!

Wikipedia Sez posted:

The gravity of Mars is a natural phenomenon, due to the law of gravity, or gravitation, by which all things with mass around the planet Mars are brought towards it. It is weaker than Earth's gravity due to the planet's smaller mass. The average gravitational acceleration on Mars is 3.72076 ms−2 (about 38% of that of Earth) and it varies laterally.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

LtStorm posted:

Whooooa hold up, sanity check. Mars is smaller than Earth and no more dense; it has less gravity and a shallower gravity well. If Mars had more gravity than Earth it'd have more of its atmosphere left!

Mars has more gravity than the moon, so for any purpose other than making stuff for use on Mars there's little point to mine bulk resources on Mars.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Infinite Karma posted:

The plan is called HAVOC

Nothing could possibly go wrong.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

thewalk posted:

Humans built the pyramids. Worked in mines throughout history. Theyll dig for thorium

How nice of our lizard overlords to make an appearance here.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

LtStorm posted:

No, please, nerd out, because I have questions. For one; why call gravity of a pseudo-force? It's one of the four fundamental forces, even if it is the outlier that seems least explained in spite of ostensibly being fully explained. We've detected gravitational waves; if there's a wave, there could be a particle, though describing the particle puts us into the weeds of things like MOND once more. So what is gravity?
A pseudo-force is something that is a force which is a consequence of being in a non-inertial frame of reference, in classical theory. In other words, there is nothing mediating the force (such as in electromagnetic force or weak and strong interactions).

This is where the meme of 'centrifugal force does not exist comes from.' Yes, it's technically true in that no force interaction happens, however, it certainly is a measurable phenomenon.

In General Relativity, gravity is a consequence of the curvature of spacetime. All particles move in straight lines if not acted on by an external force. But, because spacetime is curved in the presence of mass, the geodesic (a straight line in non-flat spacetime) appears bent. That is gravity. It can be described as a force, but that description is always a consequence of the frame it's in. In a covariant (frame independent) sense, there is nothing there. Hence, pseudo-force.

In most GR calculations, you never even consider force, because the movement of particles can be described without it.

Now, this doesn't take into account quantum gravity considerations, but so far GR is batting good. In fact, the gravitational waves can be described fully with GR alone, and agree with what we've observed perfectly. No gravitons necessary. We expect there to be some because every wave phenomenon we've discovered so far can be described as a particle as well, but wave-particle duality is a consequence of mathematical abstraction. It could be that GR is gravity explained and we're missing something in quantum physics.

quote:

I think our concepts differe on what a pleasing equation looks like.

I can understand TeVeS struggling to explain evidence we're seeing without bloating, but at the same time I'd never expect the totality of math explaining a fundamental force to be simple, even if it philosophically is. Mostly because Maxwell's Equations with their partial differential equations sure as hell aren't. Einstein surely deserves the accolades he gets for explaining general relativity so succinctly but at the same time, does that mean it's fully explained?

I use pleasing in place of elegant. Math in GR is certainly complex enough that working with it is a challenge, but that doesn't mean in that framework some things aren't more elegant than others.

By all evidence, GR is a correct explanation of gravity. It is also the simplest of the explanations, which is great from Occam's Razor outlook. Certainly, we shouldn't consider it gospel, but at the same time, the primary instinct should be to be cautious of anything that says it exists in a different form.

quote:

Eh, a pseudoscience claims evidence when it doesn't have it. TeVeS, MOND, etc. are untested or unproven theories. They're also messy, as you noted. Anything that's going to resolve the questions of what the hell gravity is in a better way than we currently have look like they'll be coming out of left field. Or, again, the weirdos and their strings are going to be right and that's going to suck for everyone.
Bolded part is exactly why TeVeS is a failure. It takes an old theory, and instead of doing something intricate, it makes everything in that old theory (that has not so far had anything show it is incorrect) messy and difficult. If TeVeS turned out correct tomorrow (it won't), we will have learned basically nothing about the universe. We'd still need dark matter for other considerations, and we'd be exactly zero steps closer to a theory unifying gravitation with other forces.

Strings are actually the concept of mathematical beauty taken to extremes. M-theory is largely a thing because it's super pretty and it makes GR fall out by itself from it. It just also kinda makes every other possible mathematical structure fall out of it, so it's really weird as a theory.

quote:

See, that's interesting but also concerning because so far no one has found a simple reconciliation between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It's concerning because if people are expecting it to be simple, are they going to dismiss the complex explanations and fail to test them as thoroughly as they should?
Don't worry, there are aplenty mathematicians/physicists who don't care and enjoy making calculations harder and harder instead of prettier. Experimentalists largely don't care, and were the Higgs not found, they'd use the LHC to search in other places - they wouldn't just raise their hands and go 'welp, thats hundreds of millions down the drain, we got nothin.'

However, it seems that successful physicists care about elegance and beauty. It's weird, but it's how it goes.

quote:

Yeah, it seems measurable and mappable, but until we have a handle on what it is rather than what it's doing there's a chance we're going to find something that recontextualizes all of those observations. Which, it might still be dark matter we end up with, but also something ridiculous like a fifth fundamental force.

Yeah. This is where I am with dark matter; we can see what we think are its effects, but we aren't making a whole lot of progress on describing the particles its made out of and what they're capable of. If the Universe is a giant physics nerd, why would it have a non-baryonic matter that is only matter because of the density it exhibits rather than because it has a chemistry? To make the math look nicer? That'd really suck.

You're approaching it from the wrong direction. Matter having chemistry is actually the weird thing. If you made parameters randomly, you'd expect there to be no chemistry at all. And there's no chemistry of neutrinos, which are basically DM but of a very low mass, so we already have things in our own universe that we can measure that are weird.

quote:

That's part of my curiosity with general relativity; Einstein was a brilliant dumbass with conceiving of it, but now we have the fact three of the four fundamental forces are explained by quantum mechanics and then we have gravity over here in the corner, so ridiculously weak it apparently isn't a factor at the microscopic level, and we still don't know if it has a carrier particle for sure or what it's doing other than pulling things together only when there's literally nothing pushing them apart. General relativity makes so many things we see make sense, but the one thing it doesn't help make sense of is how it actually does all of that.
It is an enigma to be sure.

quote:

I meant it has a higher gravity than the Moon. :)

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 26, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Infinite Karma posted:

That's why I made the post, NASA has a pretty advanced drawing board in that second link for sending a balloon into the clouds. They did proof of concept tests on various materials in concentrated sulfuric acid to see the effects long-term, and trajectory calculations.

A cloud city would basically be a space station suspended by aerostat balloons (but in Venus's atmosphere), and could be put together modularly. Even that isn't really planned yet anymore than Mars exploration is planned beyond the first manned mission. Right now there is a plan to go there and spend X amount of days in a single capsule doing research, then fly back.

Also, I forgot in the original post, gravity on Venus is about 0.9g. Having readily available Carbon and Nitrogen in situ is also a big deal, since that means we won't have to bring as much of those if we were going to try and make a permanent colony there.

I mean it sounds interesting even though I feel pretty confident that this is the setup for some kind of scifi horror movie and if we were doing all the things great.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we slap a prison on the moon? I like broski we could have savage low gravity duels In the Donald Trump Moon ULTRAMax Penitentiary

Is a space bridge easier to work with in smaller objects than larher ones?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Can we slap a prison on the moon? I like broski we could have savage low gravity duels In the Donald Trump Moon ULTRAMax Penitentiary

Is a space bridge easier to work with in smaller objects than larher ones?

They tried this in a Heinlein book. It was a bad idea. Turns out it's really easy to throw a big can full of rocks from the Moon onto basically any Earth city.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I like to remind people that to "grow colonies" in space, you can't just shuttle warm bodies out. They have to also be willing to breed. A lot. With a much smaller selection pool of candidates than they're used while earthbound.

Even if you make it a priority to establish in vitro fertilization facilities on your Mars/Space base, unless you also want to research full anime test tube womb factories, you still need most if not all of your female population willing to be handmaids for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like a great societal model to adopt just to plant our feet in space to me! :jerkbag:

More like an all female population dont need men after a certain point

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Libluini posted:

The current main theory says that both matter and anti-matter were created in almost the same amount, but due to physics, anti-matter got created slightly less. So after aggressively annihilating each other, some matter was left over. This also neatly explains why most of the universe is just empty space with nothing in it, so it sounds deceptively plausible. We just don't know for sure!

Though some recent articles I've read talk about the quarks forming anti-matter having some weird stuff going on (makes me wish I could remember details, but heh, never thought I would be talking about this), which means that maybe, when a Big Bang happens, normal matter has a slightly higher chance of forming, which could be the basis for this cosmic asymmetry.

A neat thing I though off by myself is that maybe the cosmos is so uneven and lumpy 'cause the matter-anti-matter-annihilation phase was uneven, and what nowadays are voids were zones where most of the anti-matter was, while the zones where matter bunches up are the ones which had more matter in them.

Id guess dark matter is matter + antimatter combined. They dont anihilate each other. They neutralize each other so whats left over is neutral matter. doesnt interact, cant be seen, measured etc except through its gravity

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

thewalk posted:

Id guess dark matter is matter + antimatter combined. They dont anihilate each other. They neutralize each other so whats left over is neutral matter. doesnt interact, cant be seen, measured etc except through its gravity

If you combine matter and antimatter, you only get a bunch of radiation. Because they annihilate each other. There's no "neutralization" possible in this scenario

You could try recombining the Quark-Gluon pairs of matter and antimatter particles, but that way you just get more matter and antimatter particles.

And since Quarks and Gluons can't be further broken up, there's no way to go a level deeper.

Whatever dark matter is, it's certainly neither matter, antimatter, nor both "combined", as that makes no goddamn sense outside of violent annihilation.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I, for one, believe dark matter is probably a mistake in our formulation of gravity/relativity, and so is dark energy. We'll find better equations and suddenly no more dark matter and no more dark energy. Antimatter/matter asymmetry we'll probably find a symmetry breaking property if we can make enough antimatter to study.

Basically the aliens from Stargate who nodded along with the Earth Woman scientist talking about quantum physics and said "oh yes, a common misunderstanding of physics by primitive races" was probably spot on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It already started happening. An article I've read a couple months ago was talking about something weird about the symmetry between matter and anti-matter. Something about a slight difference in properties, and matter and anti-matter sometimes spontaneously trading places. Matter and anti-matter aren't complete mirrors, in other words.

quote:

Antimatter particles should in principle be perfect mirror images of their normal companions. But experiments show this isn’t always the case. Take for instance particles known as mesons, which are made of one quark and one anti-quark. Neutral mesons have a fascinating feature: they can spontaneously turn into their anti-meson and vice versa. In this process, the quark turns into an anti-quark or the anti-quark turns into a quark. But experiments have shown that this can happen more in one direction than the opposite one—creating more matter than antimatter over time.

Read more here

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Libluini posted:

It already started happening. An article I've read a couple months ago was talking about something weird about the symmetry between matter and anti-matter. Something about a slight difference in properties, and matter and anti-matter sometimes spontaneously trading places. Matter and anti-matter aren't complete mirrors, in other words.

Read more here
Hell, maybe the constants/coefficients in physics aren't constant and are more like a matter phase diagram, so the laws of physics are slightly different in different high/low energy or atypical situations to what we normally see (or what we can ever see post-early-phases of the universe)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I believe dark matter is the friends we made along the way.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Infinite Karma posted:

I, for one, believe dark matter is probably a mistake in our formulation of gravity/relativity, and so is dark energy.

We know that isn't the case because different galaxies have different amounts of dark matter, with ones like "NGC1052-DF2" having nearly none. If it was a gravity thing every galaxy would have the exact same amount of the effect, but since most galaxies have a roughly average amount but some have more or less that means it's a "thing" that exists in a galaxy separate from just the stars.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

We know that isn't the case because different galaxies have different amounts of dark matter, with ones like "NGC1052-DF2" having nearly none. If it was a gravity thing every galaxy would have the exact same amount of the effect, but since most galaxies have a roughly average amount but some have more or less that means it's a "thing" that exists in a galaxy separate from just the stars.

*sad trombone music

https://www.sciencealert.com/there-s-a-really-simple-explanation-for-that-galaxy-with-no-dark-matter

quote:

So, not only does the galaxy itself have less mass, but the proportion of normal matter within that mass is smaller. This implies that the rest must be made up of - you guessed it - dark matter.

It turns out peer review is a good idea before jumping to the headlines.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Space seems like the final tree clubhouse for white boys. No girls or coloured people allowed. It's no wonder they are talking about space colonies, because they envision themselves as colonial overlords.

I for one would rather welcome alien overlords to turn us into humanburgers than allow this shittiest of all species on our planet to colonize other systems.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nenonen posted:

Space seems like the final tree clubhouse for white boys. No girls or coloured people allowed. It's no wonder they are talking about space colonies, because they envision themselves as colonial overlords.

I for one would rather welcome alien overlords to turn us into humanburgers than allow this shittiest of all species on our planet to colonize other systems.

There's no reason anyone should care about your weird internal psychodrama

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nenonen posted:

What?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'd guess Kerning Chameleon had to re-reg

Anyhoo...

I think Dark Matter is still going strong as the best explanation of the structure of galaxies, at time of writing. It's pretty unsatisfying compared to other nice elegant theories, but when there's gravitational lensing and no apparent matter in regions of space, plus the other general assorted evidence, we're stuck with it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Monkey posted:

I believe dark matter is the friends existential despair we made along the way.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

I'd be okay with an alien invasion to save us from climate catastrophe and fascism, but you realize there are a lot of famous science fiction written by women right? Andre Norton and Ursula K. Le Guin? For science fiction authors who are both people of colour and a woman there's Octavia Butler among others.

Are there probably a lot of incel fucks on reddit who treat it like it's their tree clubhouse? Probably. If you want to rail against that, then post examples so we can laugh at it with you and dissect it; I'm also sure there's lots of girls that also dream of being a space god-empress, they're probably mormons.

I don't know what this kind of shitpost is supposed to achieve, but y'know, there is a way it could lead to an interesting discussion point, it'd be neat if you were willing to go to the effort.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Bug Squash posted:

I think Dark Matter is still going strong as the best explanation of the structure of galaxies, at time of writing. It's pretty unsatisfying compared to other nice elegant theories, but when there's gravitational lensing and no apparent matter in regions of space, plus the other general assorted evidence, we're stuck with it.

Yup, and inflation is still the best explanation for the current state of the universe. And to me they are both very unsatisfying theories - particularly inflation, because there's literally no evidence for what caused it. For dark matter, we see its effects but every attempt to look for its cause based on even speculative theories has failed completely. I too feel that a new way of approaching the problem is in order. However, I basically have no choice but to tentatively accept the current models as any other speculative model for the phenomena has more holes and caveats than the current models.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

Hell, maybe the constants/coefficients in physics aren't constant

I seem to remember reading that was the case, just it was a very, very, slow change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

I seem to remember reading that was the case, just it was a very, very, slow change.

I remember reading something like that, based on the "evidence" that our best estimates had changed over the last few hundred years. Measurement error and bias would seem more likely to me.

There might be a more plausible argument for fundamental values changing that you read, but the one I read was pretty badly argued.

Edit: also, it'd be pretty bad if they did change. A little tweak and every molecule become unstable and the earth literally explodes instantly.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 30, 2019