Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wait is it opt-out at the moment?

I don't think it's opt-anything at the moment if you're on the actual Steam platform, and if you access one from the Steam website, it'll make you log in to see the item. That's about it. It just asks for your birth date and sets a cookie for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the closest thing they have is the ability to filter stuff tagged "adult content", which is basically opt-out, but it also requires that people tag their games correctly, and likewise assumes that it won't just show up in your recommendations anyway, which people have reported happening because apparently Steam treats filters more as "suggestions" rather than hard restrictions.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Holy poo poo sixty dollars for an anime titty game. I thought the only reason anyone bought these things was because they were like 5 bucks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Holy poo poo sixty dollars for an anime titty game. I thought the only reason anyone bought these things was because they were like 5 bucks.

There are games with high production values sold all the time on Japanese sites and they're just now starting to hit steam with an 18+ patch available through their websites. Visual novels are a dime a dozen, but pretty much anything people put work into costs a bit. Even some flash animation thing I pirated on 4chan when I was in middle school ended up being $20 from their online store.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Artisanal anime titty.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Don't they not even need an 18 patch due to the opt in adult only tag?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't they not even need an 18 patch due to the opt in adult only tag?

The only time they need a patch is if the base version is censored for whichever reason that also prevents including both versions of the images with a "show uncensored catdicks/etc" option in the game config. Which is basically when the dev uses the laziest workaround for censorship/export laws.

e: correction, also maybe to sell an edited version targeting "all ages" or "mature" because a lot of vendors won't consider AO games but will sell a downgraded M, and some customers similarly wouldn't buy them... but keeping a way to include whatever material the creator feels necessary to add.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 25, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

silentsnack posted:

The only time they need a patch is if the base version is censored for whichever reason that also prevents including both versions of the images with a "show uncensored catdicks/etc" option in the game config. Which is basically when the dev uses the laziest workaround for censorship/export laws.

Well, it's also contributed to by the fact that for a short while, no visual novels were allowed to have any adult content in them, toggleable or not. This led to devs selling an all-ages version on Steam and then putting patches on their websites, but you weren't even allowed to advertise the patch on the store page, so you'd have to dig in the Discussion board or something to find it, and it would always be hosted off-site from Steam. Then, when Valve went back on the decision, it led to a weird leftover where tons of devs had these seemingly needless patches, but that's where the whole system stems from.

e: Sticking with the patch system going forward probably makes sense just to avoid the situation where Valve go back on their decision again. Or, because Valve have also demonstrated that they'll take down a game if public outcry is bad enough, but it's a lot harder to suss out the incredibly questionable sexual content of a game if it's not immediately visible on the store page and you need to not only purchase it but also go download a patch. If you're going that far, you're probably not gonna snitch

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 25, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

Fantasy Girl is a jigsaw puzzle. There are many different roles. Mother Cat, Black Wing Angel, Royal Sister, Silly Lori.

ALL REVIEWS: Overwhelmingly Positive (4,496)

quote:

Is this game relevant to you?

This game doesn't look like other things you've played in the past. As such we don't have much information on whether or not you might be interested in it

wow, weird that you'd put it in my discovery queue, ta for that

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm the understudy to Silly Lori, widely considered as one of the best roles

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Red Lori, Yellow Lori, Silly Lori.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

In the US we call it a Silly Truck

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

wow, weird that you'd put it in my discovery queue, ta for that
Part of the discovery is discovering new things about yourself! Horrible horrible things.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How else do you expect to find out about your inflation fetish?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How else do you expect to find out about your inflation fetish?

From Willy Wonka.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Morglon posted:

From Willy Wonka.

Did someone say "A world of pure imagination"? (E: :nws: )

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New Zealand Virtual Debating Chamber

quote:

New Zealand Parliament’s Virtual Debating Chamber (VDC) is a Virtual Reality experience that takes you on a guided exploration of the heart of New Zealand's legislature. It is captured through Photogrammetry and 3D scanning for an immersive and interactive experience.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Expected the phrase "gang-raped by Oompa-Loompas" and was NOT disappointed

kill me

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

That's actually kinda cool, but then I'm coming at it from school days where you could (slowly :corsair:) access panoramas of famous landmarks, movie sets, or government facilities.

Guarantee there'll be like one guy ripping the geometry and textures to make a mod for one of the multiplayer VR games so they can do Phoenix Wright roleplay or Model UN.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1045520/

oh boy

quote:

The game centers around you, a heartbroken man with a background in cryptocurrency trading, telling the story of how you met a girl named Megan during a life changing day. Megan is a young aspiring actress down on her luck and in desperate need for help. Will you be there for her when she needs it the most and help her turn the tide? Will you be able to win her heart?

Acting Lessons is a drama filled adult Visual Novel (VN) with many different endings.
The choices you make in this game, even early on, will permeate throughout the game and affect the people around you and your adventure.
The game is centered around the relationship between Jonas (or your name of choosing for the main character) and Megan, but there are multiple women in the cast that you can pursuit.

Will you be there for Megan and stay faithful to her or will you fall in love with her childhood friend Melissa?
Perhaps you find someone else more intriguing, for instance, the nurturing nurse Leah or the blue haired actress Rena?
Will you value the friendship with your best friend Liam and be there when he truly needs you?
These choices, and a lot more, are all yours to make.

Expect a 5 - 8 hour long humor filled and emotion packed Adult Visual Novel that many players only could find the strength to play once.

I'm sure it's wonderful.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Many players could only find the strength to play once" is a hell of a... selling point?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The story is not intended for players being in a dark period of their lives.

I.E. we're gonna kill off whichever girl you go with. Sorry, should I have spoilered that?

Also the kissing animations in the trailer are loving creepy.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Wonder what research they did that led to the conclusion "we need to connect to the bitcoin dipshits in the audience by having a protagonist that shares their delusions of relevance"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
it's because it was made by bitcoin dipshits

duh

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Lets see what the Steam forums have to say about this " long humor filled and emotion packed Adult Visual Novel that many players only could find the strength to play once"

quote:

DO NOT BUY THIS (NO SPOILERS)

The game starts awesome. Renders are nice, characters are cool etc. Writing is actually great and funny. It goes great etc. The game leads you to a threesome between two characters for a while, and right before it some random side character turns out to be a psycho chick who burns your house, you can only save one of those two chicks and it becomes a depressed, boring slug

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hahah yep, just what I thought

VNs can pull that trick precisely once, in Doki Doki Literature Club, and it's never going to work again.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"a threesome between two characters"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nckdictator posted:

quote:

it becomes a depressed, boring slug
Now that's a twist.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Once again, don't kinkshame!

e: Sorry, forgot what thread this is.

Slugfuckers :frogout:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The bloodborne VN adaptation looking good I see.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's like Sophie's Choice but with waifus.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The worst part is the video in the middle of the page about some kids doing acting? Why is this on a page for a game that bills itself on sex?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

to make matters worse, "childhood friend" is what all the patreon BS VN's changed "daughter" to when Patreon banned incest.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Frederic_Molas/status/1155853203935813635

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/devgru-p/mein-waifu-is-the-fuhrer-a-parody-visual-novel

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but here goes:

What exactly are they parodying?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't even want to know.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What parody? It's just another niche fetish at this point.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh, so this isn't a new version of The Producers then...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheAnomaly posted:

to make matters worse, "childhood friend" is what all the patreon BS VN's changed "daughter" to when Patreon banned incest.
Is that right? A childhood friend is someone of the same age who you grew up with, it wouldn't really make sense as a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's okay, your childhood friend is actually a 10,000 year old dragon who just looks like your daughter by choice.