Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Flank the enemy and your lasers go into the side you want to remove

Knock the enemy down and then unload like twelve called shots into their brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
As a LRM boat connoisseur I have a few tips:
-The real boating can begin in the heavy/assault phase because in that point you have both pilots and mechs that are suitable for primo LRM spam
-I usually use lancer pilots (breaching & bulwark) but multi-target and coolant vent could also be feasible. Pump tactics and guts up to get heat threshold and indirect fire bonuses, skip piloting for last
-Heavy mechs are JM6-A or CTPT-C4. Both fit 4 X LRM15 and enough ammo for 2-lance assassinate mission.
-Assault mechs are either Stalker or ballistic Highlander, 4 X LRM20 and with Highlander even some heatsinks can be fitted
-Keep ammo in legs, DHS and exchanger+ are very good to-have components
-360-440 armour points will do, that will give you full head armour and at least 25 points per part. Add a bit more to legs and in case of Highlander, the missile side of the mech
-Try to salvage at least 1 +2 dmg -launcher. It's good for turrets and finishing half-dead mechs. Other tubes go for +stab

Tactics-wise keep it behind a ridge or hill and in forest and if the reinforcement lance spawns behind you, prepare to sprint-move it to break LOS of the lance. Heat-wise you can do 2-4 alphas and then go sleepy LRM boat (alpha at 90 heat and start again after 2 ends) or just fire 2-3 launchers (breaching shot is at advantage here).

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 28, 2019

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The laserboats and other many-small-weapons builds (especially missiles) really, really, really benefit from positioning; it's a given that you're going to be scattering over all possible hit locations, but if those hit locations are "Left Arm, Left Torso, Left Leg, Center Torso", that's much, much better than all seven (plus head) front hit locations.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 28, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, with a laser hunchie you want jump jets for positioning.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

sinburger posted:

The two I've seen are:

No mechs over 55 tons.

No mechs over 75 tons and a 250 ton drop limit.

There's one FP mission where there's a minimum drop weight and you have to bring all assault mechs.

Unsurprisingly, it's the Steiner FP.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Khizan posted:

I've never been able to get the laser boats to work very well, and I've never been very impressed by their firing at me either. Usually my experience is something like "they fire a ton of MLs, the damage gets spread out over armor, something blows their arm off with an AC." Is this something that just gets better with pilot levels?

Though, now that I think about it, it does sound like it would be really effective at finishing off something that's already had the armor sanded off of it by LRMs. Maybe it's time to revisit the laserboat.

To elaborate on what others have already posted:

Before you get pilots with Tactics 6 or 9, the best way to reduce damage spread is to attack enemies from the side arc. When you are deciding where to move, you'll see a circle, split into 4 sections, around the feet of the enemy mech's model. One of those sections will be lit up. The one in the front with an arrow is the front arc. The thin one behind it is the rear arc. The other two are the side arcs. Move so that your LOS goes through the side arc and lights up one of those two sections.

From the front, your shot can hit any section (IIRC, its ~10-12% for arms and legs, ~25 for the CT, ~18% for each side torso). From the sides, you have 30% chance to hit the arm, side torso, or leg, so 90% of your shots are hitting 3 different sections. Take out the leg, and the mech falls. Take out the side torso and you loose the arm (then 70% is going to the CT). Pick a side and keep drilling it.

Once you get pilots with tactics 6, you can reliably target (~64%) a leg, arm or side torso from the side (always go leg or side torso, as side torso kills the arm too) with a precision strike. You also can also target with reasonable frequency torso sections from the front with a precision strike. Use this against weakened sections. Tactics 6 is also good enough for precision strikes against the rear CT for kills against mediums and some heavies. This is doubly true for mechs with ammo in the CT.

Once you get tactics 9, your precision strike is accurate enough (82%) to core out a CT from the front against smaller, more poorly armored (QKD, JM6), or ammo CT (TDR) targets. Everything else still applies, but moreso. Since MT pilots are already getting tactics 8, you first tactics 9 pilots will probably be a Vanguard (Bulwark, MT). You'll be able to get an alpha or two off before have to cool down, but that's usually enough. Later, when you get a brawler (sure footing, coolant flush) up to tactics 9, you'll want to use that pilot for it.

All of the above applies to GHRs, and other medium laser/support weapon boats.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yall ever have a situation when editing a mech where you end up with 0.04 tons left available at the end, which isn't enough to add another 5 points of armor? It's driving me crazy.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Eschatos posted:

Yall ever have a situation when editing a mech where you end up with 0.04 tons left available at the end, which isn't enough to add another 5 points of armor? It's driving me crazy.

Did you hit the mac armor button? Look fire sections with armor values that aren't multiples of 5.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eschatos posted:

Somewherre on the mech there's some part that has an extra tiny fraction of armor, remove it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Somewherre on the mech there's some part that has an extra tiny fraction of armor, remove it.

I've regularly seen mechs that have gone 0.04 tons under while having all their armour rounded up or down. I don't know how, it just does.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Is there any way to see the tonnage requirements in advance? "light" isn't much guidance (especially when this can mean mediums allowed) and it's a bit of a bugger to schlep over to one only to find 50t Max and you've got a lance of 55ers

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
All I’ve ever seen for light requirements were 55 tons per mech max, not to exceed 200 total.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure the marik point is 50t max

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Eschatos posted:

Bump every armor section down by 5 points and back up and it should fix itself.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I'm pretty sure the marik point is 50t max

Several of them are. I recommend keeping a lance of 4 50t mechs if you want to run all the flashpoints.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is there any Assault mech which can carry two gauss ? Just the King Crab?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The regular Atlas can do that. One of the torsos has two ballistic hardpoints.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there any Assault mech which can carry two gauss ? Just the King Crab?

Just the KC.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Also, jeesh, the Raven just breaks the game.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Sometimes RNG fucks you, but sometimes it comes in real handy.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I killed a bunch of hostages for a rare weapon which turned out to be an LRM-15+.

My last flashpoint gave me an AC-2+++.

I'm stomping around the galaxy with 3 King Crabs and an Atlas and I haven't been able to find any of the +damage AC-20s yet. :shepspends:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Raven is stupid and I have no idea what made the devs think it should be in the game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Vasudus posted:

All I’ve ever seen for light requirements were 55 tons per mech max, not to exceed 200 total.

As has been said by multiple people in the last two pages there are flashpoints with other restrictions. Plenty of them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xarn posted:

Raven is stupid and I have no idea what made the devs think it should be in the game.

Don't use it?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I don't. But it completely breaks the AI in such an obvious way that I can't believe the devs let it in :shrug:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Eschatos posted:

Sometimes RNG fucks you, but sometimes it comes in real handy.

Nothing quite like an open cockpit design.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I know it's terrible overall, but does anyone happen to have a decent/workable build for a Dragon? It's probably my best option currently for fire support, otherwise :effort:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ac10 ppc and punch poo poo until you get a better heavy if you really desperately need to use it. The missile heavy wolverine variant would be a better heavy if you pack it with srms

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

I know it's terrible overall, but does anyone happen to have a decent/workable build for a Dragon? It's probably my best option currently for fire support, otherwise :effort:

IIRC you can barely squeeze max armor, an AC20, and some ammo in there. It's got the speed to close quickly and with that setup can be a close in threat and take a lot of enemy aggro. If nothing else it's a brick shithouse that can generate a surprising number of evasion pips.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Stravag posted:

Ac10 ppc and punch poo poo until you get a better heavy if you really desperately need to use it. The missile heavy wolverine variant would be a better heavy if you pack it with srms

I have an Enforcer that is better at this already, so I think I'll go with the ac/20 brick shithouse aggro-de-luxe option

I have an ac/20+++ lying around that is just begging to be put to use anyway.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

I have an Enforcer that is better at this already, so I think I'll go with the ac/20 brick shithouse aggro-de-luxe option

I have an ac/20+++ lying around that is just begging to be put to use anyway.

Note that an Enforcer, Cent, or Hunchback are all better AC20 platforms. That dragon build is aggressively mediocre and I'd really only recommend it if you're swapping out something that's obviously shittier like a cicada.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that an Enforcer, Cent, or Hunchback are all better AC20 platforms. That dragon build is aggressively mediocre and I'd really only recommend it if you're swapping out something that's obviously shittier like a cicada.

I'd love an ac/20 hunchie but sadly I'm only 1/3 for that variant, currently rocking the discoball hunchie though. I love it, even if I wish I could fit just a bit more armor on it.

I might just take your advice and fit the ac/20 on the enforcer instead, though it wouldn't have the armor that a dragon would I don't think.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'd love an ac/20 hunchie but sadly I'm only 1/3 for that variant, currently rocking the discoball hunchie though. I love it, even if I wish I could fit just a bit more armor on it.

I might just take your advice and fit the ac/20 on the enforcer instead, though it wouldn't have the armor that a dragon would I don't think.

gently caress, it might be close. The dragon is all engine. I mean, it can technically hold more armor, but at that point you're going in so weapons poor that it's almost not worth it.

Really it comes down to what other mechs you're using. You can make a AC20 drago work. If you have two solid mediums and some lights then ditching a light for an AC20 armored brick probably makes more sense than taking a AC20 enforcer but more lights.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I didnt think it had the room for a 20. I dont use the 60 tonners much unless its a champion because it reminds me of part of a song lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stravag posted:

I didnt think it had the room for a 20. I dont use the 60 tonners much unless its a champion because it reminds me of part of a song lol

Nope, it can fit one.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

For soem reason i was thinkingits ballistic slots were ct. No idea why

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok, I misremembered slightly. It can't fit JJs with an AC20. Near max armor, shaving a bit off the legs and rear armor. You can remove a ton of ammo to up the armor, but frankly I don't think it's necessary. Put the ammo wherever you feel like.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the Dragon is a cool mech and i'm always disappointed by how lovely it is

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Zeus happened because House Steiner took one look at the Dragon and said "LRMs and autocannon/5 on a chassis too fast for its weightclass? Hold our beer!"

It amuses me that the Zeus went from a PPC/LRM to an AC5/LRM because they could never get the PPC to work right, while the Dragon transitioned from AC5/LRM to PPC/LRM because House Kurita just had soooo many Lord's Light PPCs laying about. Just so, so many. Suck it, Free Worlders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

All those poor panthers