Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bogart posted:

Someone tell me how Armor Break works. Is it ever worth it

If you break all four yellow bits of the monster you get a prize. Go for it if you can but it's not a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

cheetah7071 posted:

If you break all four yellow bits of the monster you get a prize. Go for it if you can but it's not a big deal

What kind of prize is it, anyway? I usually settling for breaking one bit and then massacring the monster, considering they'll generally capable of blasting squishy units in a single attack

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

inthesto posted:

What kind of prize is it, anyway? I usually settling for breaking one bit and then massacring the monster, considering they'll generally capable of blasting squishy units in a single attack

Umbral steel I think, which you use to repair crest weapons

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

inthesto posted:

What monster it is affects what you get, but it's some sort of refinement stuff for weapons. Some of it at least seems pretty valuable, some of it not.

Like, the only use I've seen so far for the Venom Steel (or whatever it's called) that drops off the intro monster is for forging Venin weapons... which have never been terribly useful. Stuff like Wootz Steel though is used for forging/refining Killer weapons. Mithral's another drop used for high quality weapons.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Oh, wootz steel and umbral steel are actually kind of important and I was wondering how to get those. It's not like I'm hard up on them now (there's way to cheat-repair holy weapons), but it's good to know from here on out.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
What drops the ore that's used to forge the Levin Sword, the upgrade looks really good and I want it.

Poison effects are so pointless in Fire Emblem games due to the nature of combat, but it's still in this for whatever reason. As the player you don't need to poison enemies to kill them. And they just annoy you by doing minor chip damage that isn't really dangerous.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

inthesto posted:

The monster also gets stunned for a whole turn when you do this. I think it's pretty much the easiest way to take them out honestly. Use some gambits to break a shield, then it's confused and can't counter while you break the rest, and then just focus down with everyone left.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man this game is like a kid who can't keep a secret

The game constantly trying to give you a hint hint nudge nudge at upcoming plot events that are so forced they just become obvious

like geez Edelgard, you've got the FLAME crest? And you're going to be the EMPEROR? The game going out of its way to let you not bring Edelgard onto the map where you meet the Emperor, then the game telling you AGAIN later in the middle of talking with the flame emperor that Edelgard isn't around

"hey professor, Tomas is being REALLY suspicious and looking into your dad's life and has been sneaking out at night every time you go to do a mission!"

When the Flame Emperor appears on the map extremely briefly if you kill the DK in that chapter, "he" wields an axe. I'm pretty sure that's what clinched it for me and only then did I put together all the other incredibly obvious foreshadowing. So maybe it wasn't too obvious after all? Also I dunno, I like the feeling that you're figuring out mysteries yourself even if they're only barely mysterious to being with. You do have to actually think for a bit to put these things together, it's not literally spelled out for you.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So for anyone wondering about recruitment:

I've recruited every student. Not counting ones you can't recruit of course. In-game it's the first week of December. Hilda isn't recruitable until February I've read, but she's on A-rank support so she's already locked. So, yeah, you have way more than enough time to get any characters you might want in any playthrough.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bogart posted:

Remember that units have a limited amount of skill slots and basic 'better at lances' skills count. Many of your units may have lovely level 1 Swords or Authority hogging a spot when they could have a Seal Skill, Rally Dex, or Swordbreaker. Go to Roster > Abilities to be sure!

I know this because it's December and I realized nobody was doing much sealing.

That seems really loving stupid because you have very little control over that at all. I mean looking at a lot of my units I know they are entirely full on skill slots.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Eimi posted:

That seems really loving stupid because you have very little control over that at all. I mean looking at a lot of my units I know they are entirely full on skill slots.

You can remove skills and they just go into an 'inactive' list that you can swap between freely.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Bogart posted:

You can remove skills and they just go into an 'inactive' list that you can swap between freely.

Oh. I did not know that. Do you do that via the roster or via pre battle prep?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Eimi posted:

Oh. I did not know that. Do you do that via the roster or via pre battle prep?

Pre battle prep, on the "inventory" option, it has several sub options, including Skills and Battalions.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, that's why I mentioned it. No need for Bernie to run around with Sword Mastery 1 when she could be tapping everyone with Skill Seal.

e: sorry, Dex Seal. I'm very fond of this game so far but that is a silly change and I mistake Dex ups for Def ups constantly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Thanks much! That is huge.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So for anyone wondering about recruitment:

I've recruited every student. Not counting ones you can't recruit of course. In-game it's the first week of December. Hilda isn't recruitable until February I've read, but she's on A-rank support so she's already locked. So, yeah, you have way more than enough time to get any characters you might want in any playthrough.

i got hilda in like the third month i think

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Okay, just got the B rank and Dorothea/Sylvain's support conversation has been great - just the two sniping at each other over their real motives behind the friendly smiles and flirting.

With that said, your last snipe seems to have gone awry Dorothea. Based on a different support yes, he totally would.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I found a Rusted Axe that can be reforged into Hauteclere

a fine gift for the empress when she hits A rank in Axes

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Super No Vacancy posted:

i got hilda in like the third month i think

What is the requirement for recruiting her? She still doesn't have the option for me to even give her lost items or gifts.

Plot wise I'm about to do the Battle of the Eagle and Lion.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't think things get more depressing and dark, but then I spent an hour on a billion part 2 supports.

gently caress.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It seems like characters can be pulled out of gift rotation for a while? I had some lost items of Edelgard that I couldn’t return to her for a month, and I don’t think I’ve ever been able to give Hilda stuff.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Question re the black Eagles route split and spoilers for the end of part 1: Was I meant to get a choice before I have to fight Edelgard? I went on her errand and had supports with her and Hubert

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Question re the black Eagles route split and spoilers for the end of part 1: Was I meant to get a choice before I have to fight Edelgard? I went on her errand and had supports with her and Hubert

Literally after.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Annath posted:

What is the requirement for recruiting her? She still doesn't have the option for me to even give her lost items or gifts.

Recruiting Hilda: Charm of 29, Axe Rank of C, might have to be Male Byleth.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Iron Rose posted:

You should be fine.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Annath posted:

i dunno i could do it from the beginning as male professor in blue house

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Game really loves showing off Maneula's boobs

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Does anyone know how the Goddess Tower event works in Ch. 9? I know you have to tell the gatekeep who you fancy but it’s only giving me students as options. Is there no way to take one of the adults instead? I have Shamir’s support as high as it will go at the current point in time but she’s still not selectable

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Question about Sothis, I'll put in spoilers just in case?
I noticed in the support viewer that she only has "supports" with the Byleths and ONLY a S rank.

Does she never join as a playable character? I assumed weird crest/time nonsense would happen and Sothis would properly join but....

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

Does anyone know how the Goddess Tower event works in Ch. 9? I know you have to tell the gatekeep who you fancy but it’s only giving me students as options. Is there no way to take one of the adults instead? I have Shamir’s support as high as it will go at the current point in time but she’s still not selectable

It's specifically students, yes. Poached students still count.

(Mercedes is an adult, technically)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How have people finished the game? Doesn't it go for like 200 hours? I'm not working and I've played it for like two days in a row plus change and I just started part 2.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
some people poopsock like a motherfucker

some people also managed to break streetdate

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

"200" hours adding up all four routes, it's probably closer to 100ish, depending on how much you streamline your future runs.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I’m gonna marry her

This game is bad rear end. This is my first fire emblem..... how have I missed out on this for so long....

Took a month or two to get the hang of the flow, there is a lot going on at first. So very little mage wise? Most of my people gonna be sword/axe/lancers?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JBP posted:

How have people finished the game? Doesn't it go for like 200 hours? I'm not working and I've played it for like two days in a row plus change and I just started part 2.

It only takes 200 hours if you count all three routes, are very slow, and spend a bunch of time wandering around the monastery

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

i dunno i could do it from the beginning as male professor in blue house

Yeah the joining really late is Black Eagle specific, Blue Barracudas can get her at month 3

I just reset my game when I realized she'd make the perfect Dancer and the game wont let me and Im mad now

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

It's specifically students, yes. Poached students still count.

(Mercedes is an adult, technically)

A lot of students are legal adults by month nine. The game even updates ages after birthdays in a nice little touch.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

It's only fitting her personality.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
You can romance students you poach, right?

Also why is Petra listed as a commoner, her bio is specifically "Next in line for ruler of the kingdom of brigid"?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mr. Pool posted:

Also why is Petra listed as a commoner, her bio is specifically "Next in line for ruler of the kingdom of brigid"?

Brigid is technically a vassal state and is that true nobility blah blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Pool posted:

Racism probably. Brigid isn't part if Fodlan so it doesn't count