Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Lord Bude posted:

A customer approached a coworker of mine today.

Customer; holding some cat food: “What does this taste like? Is it nice?”

The response from my Coworker: “Well I don’t know. I can ask my cat for you if you like?”

It never ceases to amaze me, how concerned folks are about the taste of what they serve to mammals that spend an inordinate amount of time licking their own assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

PainterofCrap posted:

It never ceases to amaze me, how concerned folks are about the taste of what they serve to mammals that spend an inordinate amount of time licking their own assholes.

But enough about GBS posters.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Yesterday, 2 ASMs and a support manager: "you dont need to tell us when your going to lunch. Just go and we will listen for multiple pages and take care of it."

Today, ASM: " if you dont let a manager know then we are going to have to have a talk in the office."

I love how there is 0 loving consistancy in this store.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

PainterofCrap posted:

You missed the point. She asked a human if he could tell her what cat food tasted like; as if she expected him to have tried it himself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

grimcreaper posted:

Yesterday, 2 ASMs and a support manager: "you dont need to tell us when your going to lunch. Just go and we will listen for multiple pages and take care of it."

Today, ASM: " if you dont let a manager know then we are going to have to have a talk in the office."

I love how there is 0 loving consistancy in this store.

oh god no not a talk in the office anything but that :jerkbag:

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
One of our new employees is 19, carries a gun in his car, and is rumored to be a criminal informant

He asks for smoke breaks every hour, stands around doing nothing, has asked for every female coworkers snapchat or phone number, and every male coworker where he can get [illicit drug]

We really do hire the best

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

TheKennedys posted:

The heat in central Texas is not just stifling but overwhelmingly clingy and unescapable. Humidity makes the sky feel like it's going to fall on your head, and that's on a perfectly clear day where it hasn't even thought about raining for a month. The mosquitoes and flies breed like crazy because any tiny puddle of standing water literally anywhere has the perfect conditions for them. And that's the semi-functional part of Texas. Houston is basically a tropical climate but with smog and 10 million cars. It's disgusting and sometimes I wish I'd never come back to this godforsaken state.

I have no idea what this has to do with retail but as a fellow Texan I agree wholeheartedly at this assessment.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
What I really like is when I get home from work and I pop a Tylenol or two and I'm just coming down from my headache and my phone goes "bing!", and I look and see I have a 'flashback' and oh you're showing me an old picture of a hosed up pallet I took ages ago.

And I feel my head. Pulse.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So...who's ready for TAX FREE WEEKEND coming up?

Oh god why did my co-worker have to remind me that was a thing...

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Jesus gently caress. Remember a few weeks ago I posted about our systems going down and how I wasn't even sure credit card/Bux card payments were going through?

Today, we came in to find that our safe had somehow lost power, and wouldn't turn on. No safe, no cash. So we spent the entire day taking only credit cards/Bux cards. I only had a couple people pissed at me because of this, so small favors. We were also down a person (so 5 people rather than 6), and had a borrowed partner as well.

I usually love borrowed partners. They tend to be really chill and usually pretty decent as long as they're somewhere they can't really gently caress things up too badly. But this rear end in a top hat we had today kept vanishing into the back room and taking his headset off so trying to get him to do ANYTHING was like pulling teeth. I'm seriously considering talking to his store manager about it, and (along with everyone else who was working this morning) will be asking my SM never to have him back at our store. What a dipshit.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Ive worked a register and done POS support. It always surprised me how blasé store management was about payment system outages. In my (limited) experience the culprit was usually their cable/dsl internet connection. The more reliable solution was a vsat link (those big white satellite dishes you see on stores) but those were pricey. Maybe they did the math and decided it was cheaper to have the occasional day of no debit card sales but I suspect they were being penny wise, pound foolish.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Pekinduck posted:

Ive worked a register and done POS support. It always surprised me how blasé store management was about payment system outages. In my (limited) experience the culprit was usually their cable/dsl internet connection. The more reliable solution was a vsat link (those big white satellite dishes you see on stores) but those were pricey. Maybe they did the math and decided it was cheaper to have the occasional day of no debit card sales but I suspect they were being penny wise, pound foolish.

I still don't understand the day I had when that system went down, though. We didn't turn anyone away. We just 'ran' the cards and hoped like gently caress that when the system came back up that all the payments processed. I don't actually know if we made any money that day or if we basically spent the day giving poo poo away for free.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I still don't understand the day I had when that system went down, though. We didn't turn anyone away. We just 'ran' the cards and hoped like gently caress that when the system came back up that all the payments processed. I don't actually know if we made any money that day or if we basically spent the day giving poo poo away for free.

I believe that's the game plan for many stores. They figure they'd lose more money long term by inconveniencing customers so they just pretend to swipe the card and eat the loss. My memory's hazy but I believe credit transactions can usually be processed later but debit cannot.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Pekinduck posted:

I believe that's the game plan for many stores. They figure they'd lose more money long term by inconveniencing customers so they just pretend to swipe the card and eat the loss. My memory's hazy but I believe credit transactions can usually be processed later but debit cannot.

Usually you can process CCs in offline mode and the store's payment system will cache them and wait for internet connection (at least with client/server models like the NCR R10). What you can't do is chip cards and verify available credit, so the authorization is on the store. If the card is fraudulent or doesn't have available credit, the store gets nothing. That's why chip cards were pushed so much - the verification is done by the CC issuer and the store takes 0 risk for liability. Eft won't work without internet at all.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

In Australia at least, even EFT will fallback to a signature verification just like credit cards do in the event of an internet outage.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I'm about 80% sure that the new person who helps me process our morning truck is boozing it up during her lunch.

We aren't exactly operating the forklift here but it makes her way harder to work with. The whole lead team/department managers suspect this and are looking out for it, but it's really hard to prove.

İdk if I'm asking for advice or just venting, it's just really tiring to deal with. Vacation can't come soon enough.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

MC Hawking posted:

I have no idea what this has to do with retail but as a fellow Texan I agree wholeheartedly at this assessment.

really I was just late to the weather derail a bit ago but it's at least semi relevant since today marks two full weeks since the AC broke in our entire c-store + restaurant. the mechanic shop is a separate building and they survived, which is unacceptable

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i'm getting a prize for x years of service. there's a bunch of random stuff to choose from, but i've narrowed it down to a mini-drone, a dashcam, or bluetooth speakers.

runners up are a tool set for him or a... tool set for her what the

e: considering the speakers with a kroger engraving because the speakers are a wopping inch and a half tall and what better way to show that i'm part of the business family than giving me something i could probably get for 10 tickets from a county fair lol

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 30, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got a watch for my anniversary, its a pretty cool watch...

Except below the watch face is the loving emblem of my store welded into the face plate. I don't want to wear a loving watch with my company's logo on my free time! As far as I know there is no way to get this emblem off without utterly trashing the watch.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Leal posted:

I got a watch for my anniversary, its a pretty cool watch...

Except below the watch face is the loving emblem of my store welded into the face plate. I don't want to wear a loving watch with my company's logo on my free time! As far as I know there is no way to get this emblem off without utterly trashing the watch.
We get a free gift every 5 years. I've done a duffel bag, a pen (which someone stole at work), and a duffel bag / backpack combo. Next year I'll get another gift. Most everything I saw had some sort of company emblem on them.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

This is hosed up and horrible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/30/us/walmart-shooting-mississippi.html

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheKennedys posted:

really I was just late to the weather derail a bit ago but it's at least semi relevant since today marks two full weeks since the AC broke in our entire c-store + restaurant. the mechanic shop is a separate building and they survived, which is unacceptable

Just two weeks? Try a month. Ours is still broken and now our sound system is hosed up so instead of just music we get this low continuous buzzing that triggers my panic attacks.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The gently caress? All I get is a lovely pin next year for my 5th. :mad:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

The gently caress? All I get is a lovely pin next year for my 5th. :mad:

On the catalogue the items would have a mark on them showing where the emblem would've been put on, and if your item didn't have it (say you got the pen) you would get a lapel pin. I would've preferred that over getting the drat emblem on my nice watch

E: I already feel like a whore wearing my work jacket out of work because it is an incredibly comfy jacket, it being on my watch is just too much. I can excuse a work jacket, I can't excuse a drat emblem on my watch.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
My company gives employees stuff for their anniversary every 5 years. And it's actually useful stuff too, like more vacation time and more money on bonus checks if you're eligible to get those.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I got a pin for my 5 years; another pin, a $50 gift card and a morning tea in my honour for my 10 years. My 15 year anniversary is this year so I’ll be interested to see what I get.

Ultimate goal is making it into the 25 year club; so I can go to reunion events, get the newsletter and have my sweet sweet staff discount for life.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
So the CEO or something of Big loving Foodstore is coming in tomorrow to check out the store, and everyone is losing their loving minds. Everything has to be.

Just.

So.

Ok. OK. I get it. OK. OK I can do work please leave me alone I understand, go hover somewhere else you are not helping.

I was supposed to get a truck today. I say 'supposed' to, because it showed up half an hour before the store closed.

:yeshaha:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Get the dashcam if you drive at all. Worst case you get some mildly amusing video that isn't worth uploading to YouTube. Best case, the footage swings an insurance claim 5 or 6 figures in your direction.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm lucky. Nobody above DM has ever visited my store since both store managers were in the very not popular group. Both refused to play the suck up game so we stayed off the radar for the most part. And our DM is fairly slack and visits the store regularly as part of his job, so theres no "OH GOD CLEAN ON TOP OF THE BATHROOMS THEY'RE PROBABLY FILTHY" shenanigans.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

mllaneza posted:

Get the dashcam if you drive at all. Worst case you get some mildly amusing video that isn't worth uploading to YouTube. Best case, the footage swings an insurance claim 5 or 6 figures in your direction.

:hai:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's always obvious when I arrive at work that there's a VIP visiting because there are mysteriously twice as many staff rostered on as usual. It's funny how we operate on a skeleton crew because 'we have no more money in the wage budget' and we all have to run around like lunatics to get poo poo done but as soon as we find out the area manager is coming money mysteriously is found for all these extra staff to the point where we have people standing around wiping down the stacks of shopping baskets.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I had an elderly gentleman give me a $20 for a $1 print order tonight and told me to keep the change. He was out the door before I could even ring it through.

Given the rest of my night, I more than loving earned it.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

Just two weeks? Try a month. Ours is still broken and now our sound system is hosed up so instead of just music we get this low continuous buzzing that triggers my panic attacks.

I fixed our sound system! Now it's just hot as hell.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

My store just had a guy get fired for making weird threats to another guy on my team after telling other employees he'd been collecting weapons. Here's hoping he was just making things up and/or the cops actually do their job and we don't end up the next one of these.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I might be getting a semi-promotion at Amazon. It's a step up?

I get a blue vest that says "I'm more senior/responsible than you other Tier 1 scrubs (and therefore can't dodge out of bitch work within my department)" and get to be called a "Learning Ambassador" and teach new people (new hires, transfers from other departments, laborshares) how do their jobs without hurting themselves. In return I get an extra 12 hours of paid time off a year, the ability to go on "away teams" to help set up new sites (a.k.a. travel on Amazon's dime) and get my foot in the door of being promoted higher up.

It's one of those situations where I go "I'm gonna be doing more bitch work, do I really want this?" now that I'm finally getting the chance and know I'm gonna jump and take it if it's actually offered. All of outbound knows me as "Mr. Laborshare" anyways so it's not like I can escape the fact everyone on my shift knows I'll get poo poo done.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I suppose away teams are fine as long as you’re wearing a blue vest and not red.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I suppose away teams are fine as long as you’re wearing a blue vest and not red.

I know this is a Star Trek joke, but it still made me laugh (and honestly it is pretty much the imagery Amazon tries to cultivate). It's especially hilarious because red vests are "Operations"/management at my site (though colorations/vest styles are not standardized between sites). And it's a 110% correct statement. Let me describe what happens when Amazon opens a new site.

Amazon ships in as many upper level management folks as they can from other sites by offering them a promotion in return for moving. So basically you get to move with Amazon's financial assistance and have a better paying job waiting for you. So for O4/O5 (management, senior management) that's maybe...50% and 75% of the positions have previous Amazon/FC experience. Experience that might be on a different layout, most definitely on a less advanced setup, but it's still experience on what you need to do to get poo poo going. The General Manager is like 99.9995% guaranteed to be previous Amazon stock. As you go down the tiers of course you need more local people. T3 employees, the assistant managers are maybe 25-40% previous Amazon stock. Actual Tier 1 grunts? You're probably lucky if you're looking at 10% previous Amazon experience. There is no T2 at an FC: those are call-center employees.

So the building opens, gets all this inventory (a lot of it in pre-filled storage pods from other FCs that loaded them up that can be placed straight into the Robotic Storage Pen) and you have a workforce that has no loving clue what's going on. You lured all the people you're gonna get permanently how do shorten the "everyone is panicking and has no idea what to do" period? Well you get the aforementioned "Away Teams" from other buildings with similar departments. This Away Team lets people travel for 2-3 weeks across country and earn a little extra cash (and be tourists on their days off) for being the guiding hand and hopefully, hopefully the seed crystal that actual experience and competence will germinate around.

A lot of the horror stories about Amazon understandably come from this period and your statement is very accurate Bude. As a blue-vest/Learning Associate I would basically have to get through the day with only the occasional "OH GOD DON'T LIFT LIKE THAT YOU'LL HURT YOUR EVERYTHING!" moment while teaching people "this is how you go faster", with the rare "...please don't lick the power socket" moment because every batch of new hires will have a few truly dedicated crayon eaters. The manager, the red-vest, will be having pressure put him from the C-levels to have his building actually making money and cut down on safety incidents ASAP.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My neighbor's 18-YO son just started at Amazon this week in southern New Jersey. He likes it so far, acknowleding that the work is physically demanding (he's played serious hockey since childhood; he's in pretty good shape) and is worried a bit about his knees & back (no problems yet with either, but the constant bending/slide ladder climbing is no fun) He's a 'checker," and supposed to move/touch so much stock in three hours.

Last night he was describing the robot pen, and how there's a deadline around it that's instant firing to cross.

His GF's mom has worked there about a year; she was recently promoted to 'ambassador."

Any advice that can be passed along would be appreciated.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Alkydere posted:

I might be getting a semi-promotion at Amazon. It's a step up?
Go for the promotion if possible. I was in 10 years in management before I stepped back down, but I don't regret ever going for a promotion that involved more responsibility. At least for me that meant higher pay, and more respect from management, less bitch work, and not having to work after the 30 year employed employees that don't do jack poo poo. Hopefully there are more small perks that make it worth it. Also more experience of learning to do stuff, so maybe if your specific possible new position doesn't work out after a couple years, they can send you back to an area less lovely than what with your dealing with.

In my case I got sent back to IMO the easiest position in the grocery store, making $4/hr more than any top waged new contract employee would ever get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

My neighbor's 18-YO son just started at Amazon this week in southern New Jersey. He likes it so far, acknowleding that the work is physically demanding (he's played serious hockey since childhood; he's in pretty good shape) and is worried a bit about his knees & back (no problems yet with either, but the constant bending/slide ladder climbing is no fun) He's a 'checker," and supposed to move/touch so much stock in three hours.

Last night he was describing the robot pen, and how there's a deadline around it that's instant firing to cross.

His GF's mom has worked there about a year; she was recently promoted to 'ambassador."

Any advice that can be passed along would be appreciated.

Yup. Unless they find your rear end laying face-down in the robot pen with a broken nose because you feel you're fired if you go in. The only people who are supposed to be in the robot pin is the maintenance contractor who's maintaining it and even then they stay in their little workshop corner. Basically if one of the little amazon robots runs into an object that shouldn't be there (i.e. a person) the entire robot pen shuts down. Which means no new items stowed or taken out. Which means that facility lost a lot of money.

Not exactly sure what a "checker" is, I don't really work with the RSP (Robotic Storage Pen) but at my site we have Stow (put items in), Pick (take items out) and Count (count how many items are in the storage pod, especially when a stower didn't find all the items they were supposed to find). I'm guessing "Checker" is kinda like our "Count" (this is my shocked face that positions/position names aren't exactly standardized).

Mainly the advice I'd give is to dress for the job and hydrate a lot which I don't think will be an issue for your friend's son since he sounds like an athlete. Also remember: you don't get paid for crushing rate. If you can go faster and it makes the shift go faster go ahead and do it but if you're feeling tired and beat up just try to stay a bit ahead of rate. Let management worry about any "team goals" or whatever, that's on them and not you.