Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Tree Bucket posted:

Your user name is too water-fat for this thread. Could you change it to something more stillsuit-friendly?

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

usul has called a big one!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Such tiny water based usernames

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

exmachina posted:

Ok... I don't mind a genderswapped kynes. Dune needs some non-BG women characters, and a woman in a position of seniority but not leadership is believable in fremen culture.

I barely remembered that Liet was the father of Chani, maybe making it her mother instead means that relationship will have more "there" there.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

As long as Paul still kills that bitch Jamis, they can do whatever

ps Jamis hate club gang tag when???

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Defiance Industries posted:

ps Harkonnen club gang tag when???

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For Feyd I think they could go with David Mazouz. He looks a lot like Chalamet and can play intense dickhead.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

As long as Paul still kills that bitch Jamis, they can do whatever

ps Jamis hate club gang tag when???

Dirge for jamis

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exmachina posted:

Ok... I don't mind a genderswapped kynes. Dune needs some non-BG women characters, and a woman in a position of seniority but not leadership is believable in fremen culture.

Agreed. Tho everyone on that lovely years and years show is annoying as hell

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Poverty Grass Thimble

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I was friend to Jamis.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was a friend of Jamis. But then I killed him and now in keeping with tradition I'm gonna bang his wife and make her my dinner slave.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I was a friend of Jamis. He wanted me to cuck him so badly he was willing to die to make it happen.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
looking forward to the reaction to white boy paul killing a black guy and snatching his wife.

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1123251112566566912

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

uber_stoat posted:

looking forward to the reaction to white boy paul killing a black guy and snatching his wife.

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1123251112566566912

Caladanians aren't white :colbert:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I was a friend of Jamis. He wanted me to cuck him so badly he was willing to die to make it happen.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Greeks aren't white :colbert:

:ohdear:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It's really funny how white supremacists seem to basically believe that Greece and Rome were pretty much literally inhabited by marble statues and their current inhabitants are Turks squatting in the ruins. (when every piece of actual evidence indicates that no, that's just who they've always been)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The Atreides are descendants of Agamemnon, apparently?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Schadenboner posted:

Yep, I think theres a bit in Children where Leto digs back deep into his ancestral memory and talks to him or something. I'm still psyching myself up to reread it.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Actually on that note you don't see a whole lot in the way of racism in Dune. Plenty of cultural, religious or ideological clashes but not many notions of race. Is humanity just so homogenized that those ideas are all left behind or what?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Schadenboner posted:

Yes Leto II or Ghanima say that. @duneauthor helpfully points out that Agamemnon was one of the cybernetic warlords who served Lord Cybertrex

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually on that note you don't see a whole lot in the way of racism in Dune. Plenty of cultural, religious or ideological clashes but not many notions of race. Is humanity just so homogenized that those ideas are all left behind or what?

I thought the Harkonnens were pretty racist against the Fremen, and the Fremen don't seem fond of non-Fremen as a rule. I think just mostly we see from the perspective of the ruling class to whom racism is more a tool than anything.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought the Harkonnens were pretty racist against the Fremen, and the Fremen don't seem fond of non-Fremen as a rule. I think just mostly we see from the perspective of the ruling class to whom racism is more a tool than anything.

While I realize I'm being far too specific here, but it always seemed to me that the Harkonnens looking down on the Fremen was more of a classist thing. The Fremen not trusting any non-Fremen seemed to be more along the lines of xenophobia, in that they just disliked anyone who wasn't them and didn't know their ways, but not because of race or anything.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yes Leto II or Ghanima say that. @duneauthor helpfully points out that Agamemnon was one of the cybernetic warlords who served Lord Cybertrex

On the one hand, it's very silly that in all Dune books Frank always goes back to events from our history as if there were no interesting things happening between earth up to and including XXth century and whatever date Leto II or Paul is reminiscing about something.

On the other hand... @BillyJeelingAuthor

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

There’s no reason to believe that humans 10000 years in the future would have modern ideas of race. Humans didn’t have such ideas 10000 or even 1000 years ago in the same way they have them today. The Harkonnen-Fremen relationship and even the Atreides-Fremen relationship has vastly more to do with antique ideas of civilization and barbarism than it does with race. The Fremen are savages because they don’t live in cities and don’t fit into the highly organized society of the imperium: they are technologically backward, smell bad, are of no political account, and are best exterminated to avoid putting up with their violent ways (Harkonnen view), or they are in true harmony with their world, can teach us how to control it, and will form the backbone of a great army due to their violent ways (Atreides view). It’s about their mode of life, not their skin color or other phenotype. Herbert only ever uses the word “race” to mean the human race.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Key part is that the modern idea of 'race' is a very modern thing specific to capitalist society and imperialism, and Dune goes out of its way to portray a very different kind of society that's alien both for being in space and being a feudal throwback, with everyone at least nominally being within the same societal unit as houses within the empire.

...come to think of it, I'm not sure how many actual examples there are in history of Dune/GoT ideas of 'noble houses' within at least nominally the same persistent empire who compete over the ruling position.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I had always assumed that the root of Atreides was “the offspring of Atreus”, the father of Agamemnon and Menalaus.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ah yes, extreme gentlemen of the internet, please deign to elaborate in precise detail what makes Denis Villanueve's directorial body of work dull and routine in tyool twothousandnineteen, known otherwise as the 10 year anniversary of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I dunno, at least MCU films have recognizable characters with personalities and growth and change. I legit can't remember any characters from blade runner 2049. Did Arrival have any characters with personalities? Can you think of words to describe them more than their profession? I honestly don't remember a single person from his films.

Like, let's try and summarize the cast of Arrival, which I've seen three times:

• uhh linguist girl she has some family crap or some poo poo
  • other science guy
  • some military people that are forgettable
  • the two aliens
  • chinese? ambassador guy right at the end or something

Whereas like just from the first Iron Man I can think of at least three words to describe Stark: a gambling, egotistical, abrasive rich white guy
Or Potts: a rich white girl with a poo poo work/life balance who cares for her boss too much

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

alexandriao posted:

I dunno, at least MCU films have recognizable characters with personalities and growth and change. I legit can't remember any characters from blade runner 2049. Did Arrival have any characters with personalities? Can you think of words to describe them more than their profession? I honestly don't remember a single person from his films.

Like, let's try and summarize the cast of Arrival, which I've seen three times:

• uhh linguist girl she has some family crap or some poo poo
  • other science guy
  • some military people that are forgettable
  • the two aliens
  • chinese? ambassador guy right at the end or something

Whereas like just from the first Iron Man I can think of at least three words to describe Stark: a gambling, egotistical, abrasive rich white guy
Or Potts: a rich white girl with a poo poo work/life balance who cares for her boss too much

what even is this post?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I watched this dumb movie three times and I still don't understand it! What a crappy director.

You know what has amazing, intricate, and subtle characterization? COMIC BOOK MOVIES

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ratatozsk posted:

I had always assumed that the root of Atreides was “the offspring of Atreus”, the father of Agamemnon and Menalaus.

Herbert explicitly says so, you are right. The poster you quoted was just pointing out that his son now prints Dune extended universe novels and a bit of trivia he added was that the Agamemnon in question was actually a robot crab (because he doesn't know how to read or write).

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I sure am sick of all these star wars.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I remember Nawal Marwan, Kate Macer, Detective Loki, Louise Banks, and K quite well. Dunno which theater you were in :shrug:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This is canon

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
hahahahahaha

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not sure the ~25000 years between now and the fictional future Dune is set in is long enough for the Wahlund effect to set in fully.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't Vladimir Harkonnen repressive towards anyone except himself regardless of familial, cultural, religious, racial or other status?

AFewBricksShy posted:

While I realize I'm being far too specific here, but it always seemed to me that the Harkonnens looking down on the Fremen was more of a classist thing. The Fremen not trusting any non-Fremen seemed to be more along the lines of xenophobia, in that they just disliked anyone who wasn't them and didn't know their ways, but not because of race or anything.
The backstory of the Fremen strongly implies that they've essentially been hunted throughout their history before they settled down on Arrakis, so the allegory of the burnt child seems to apply pretty well? Not that that excuses xenophobia, mind you.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

On the one hand, it's very silly that in all Dune books Frank always goes back to events from our history as if there were no interesting things happening between earth up to and including XXth century and whatever date Leto II or Paul is reminiscing about something.

On the other hand... @BillyJeelingAuthor

I mean when he mentions our history he also includes a bunch of made up future names which I mean at least he's making an effort. People are gonna remember Hitler.

edit: also racism in Dune is everybody hating Ix

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
*in extremely Zoolander voice*

alexandriao posted:

Whereas like just from the first Iron Man I can think of at least three words to describe Stark:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I watched this dumb movie three times and I still don't understand it! What a crappy director.

You know what has amazing, intricate, and subtle characterization? COMIC BOOK MOVIES

I understood Arrival and 2049 fine, it just didn't have any characters, you could have just had the one guy or taken out all of the other characters except for the linguist and you would have the same movie. Whereas the MCU has gone to lengths to give each character a real personality and history, to flesh them out. The events that happen don't matter except for how it develops and changes the characters. They're not good movies but they do that one thing very well and it shows and makes them memorable.

They're concept movies. You watch them because you want a good concept to sink your teeth into and explore rather than characters you want to explore. It will probably fit a fair adaptation of Dune because Dune is half concept book and half court intrigue anyway. Just don't expect much of the court intrigue aspects in whatever thing he makes.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 31, 2019