Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
WELCOME BLANKSPOT WOOOOOOO

Shots Wednesday is going to end with the police arriving at this rate, which seems like as good a start to Gen-Con as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dr. Quarex posted:

WELCOME BLANKSPOT WOOOOOOO

Shots Wednesday is going to end with the police arriving at this rate, which seems like as good a start to Gen-Con as any.

does rathskellers serve milkshakes?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Goondereal on saturday or a different day?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bottom Liner posted:

does rathskellers serve milkshakes?
IT BETTER

I will content myself otherwise as I do nearly every night, stuffing my face with every big sausage in sight.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I will content myself otherwise as I do nearly every night, stuffing my face with every big sausage in sight.

This isn't DragonCon bro.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Is will call open past 9 pm I cant remember

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Is will call open past 9 pm I cant remember

Yes. I think it's open 24/7, but I've at least gotten my will call tickets past 10pm on Wednesday before.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

there are three ground rules for shots wednesday (and really any poorly organized bar/restaraunt shitshow i'm involved in)

1) pay your loving check
2) tip the bartender/waitstaff for putting up with our poo poo and letting us occupy tables with board games
3) don't be a shithead

or i will loving find you. you do not want me to find you.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, I guess this is probably the best thread to post this in. I'm not going to GenCon, but Luke Crane will be selling limited copies of Miseries and Misfortunes (at booth 2150) and I'd love it if someone could pick me up a copy. I'm in Toronto, so if there are any Canadian goons willing to help a guy out, I'd be super grateful.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Deviant posted:

or i will loving find you. you do not want me to find you.

Just preemptively punish everyone! That way you won't have to find them later. :newlol:

I won't be there sadly since we get in late on Wednesday and I have papercraft crap to glue together for an event...

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

Yes. I think it's open 24/7, but I've at least gotten my will call tickets past 10pm on Wednesday before.

Will call is open 24/7 from Wednesday at 12pm to Sunday at 3pm

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Even if the will call line looks long, it will move fast. It’s also often not as long as it seems because helpers leave the entrances to the play hall unblocked so there’s like 4 giant 30 foot gaps in the line.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

sportsgenius86 posted:

Even if the will call line looks long, it will move fast.

I uh... I don't believe you. (We've gotten our tickets mailed to us the last few years after dealing with Will Call lines.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Will Call has gotten way, way better in the last few years, especially since it's open 24 hours starting Wednesday.

To be fair though, if you listen closely you can still hear the moans of the people standing in the 2011 will call line.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

With The War Store donezo anyone know if there are going to be any good booths to buy mini paints at? I heard Scale75 was there last year but they were piggy backing on some other booth so I didn't notice them. And Privateer Press will probably have their P3 stuff. I like being able to pick up a few things in person since my local selection is not so great.

8one6 posted:

Will Call has gotten way, way better in the last few years, especially since it's open 24 hours starting Wednesday.

To be fair though, if you listen closely you can still hear the moans of the people standing in the 2011 will call line.

I think I waited like 30-45 minutes Thursday morning last year, which ain't bad for what I assume is their busiest period.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

I uh... I don't believe you. (We've gotten our tickets mailed to us the last few years after dealing with Will Call lines.)

It was shittyyyyyyy for a while but last year I got there on Thursday around noon and lined up outside around the corner and I got my badge in about 35 minutes. The line still looks bad but they’ve increased the number of people servicing guests and have runners back there helping to pull packets quicker so everything moves a little faster.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Glad willcall is 24/7, I can hit it up before going to bed since I’m landing stupid early on Thursday morning. Flying east is the worst. Thursday is gonna be exhausting.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hey Backno! Can you pick me up a GenCon exclusive mini if I pay you? I'm stuck doing military stuff this year instead.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
This is going to be my first GenCon and I'm freaking out send help.

I'll be helping out at the Indie Game Alliance vendor booth, pitching my latest prototype, and hoping to get some good playtesting in. It's going to be a good time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Frozen Peach posted:

This is going to be my first GenCon and I'm freaking out send help.

I'll be helping out at the Indie Game Alliance vendor booth, pitching my latest prototype, and hoping to get some good playtesting in. It's going to be a good time.
Frozen Peach calm down, everything will be great!!!

I suddenly wish we had planned ahead and gotten tiny grenade stickers for quick identification.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The prototype I'm primarily pitching/playtesting

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/32584290

But Walking Doggos will be there too. I'd love to find a small-box publisher to pick it up.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are you pitching to publishers or just running demos/playtests in the exhibit hall? If theblatterbget email addresses or something. In my experience, you are not going to get a lot of great playtest feedback from people primarily there to shop.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Are you pitching to publishers or just running demos/playtests in the exhibit hall? If theblatterbget email addresses or something. In my experience, you are not going to get a lot of great playtest feedback from people primarily there to shop.

I'm pitching to publishers during my breaks at the vendor hall, and after the hall closes I'll be looking for playtesters in the open play rooms.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Good luck pitching and play testing but make time to enjoy GenCon. My friend did the same as you his first time and was so in his head about pitching and feedback that he didn’t really enjoy the con before it ended. Write everything down and worry about the feedback when you get home.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I suddenly wish we had planned ahead and gotten tiny grenade stickers for quick identification.

We did that in 2016.
They said "Make America D8 Again" and had grenades instead of stars.

:smith:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ego Trip posted:

We did that in 2016.
They said "Make America D8 Again" and had grenades instead of stars.

I miss one year and look what you people do

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm pitching to publishers during my breaks at the vendor hall, and after the hall closes I'll be looking for playtesters in the open play rooms.

Try not to get frustrated if your trying to pitch without appointments. Gen Con is not a good convention for unsolicited pitches, and make sure you know if your game is a fit for the publisher before you take their time.

Sorry if I am telling you things you already know but I see tons of game designers that don't consider pretty much anything when they pitch and just take the spaghetti approach of hitting as many publishers as they can and hoping it sticks with at least one of them.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Jon Gilmour at Pandasauras has said he has some open spaces for pitches as recently as Monday, so you might wanna make sure you go say hi. Jon's good people

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm at the traditional pre-Gen Con breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

My con has started.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Made it to the convention center. This place is massive

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Frozen Peach posted:

Made it to the convention center. This place is massive

There is more stuff at the stadium across the street.

And most of the surrounding hotels.

And you haven't seen the Vendor Hall yet.

Take it all in.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dr. Quarex posted:

I miss one year and look what you people do

"Make America D8 Again" as a trivia team name was great when Trump was still viewed as the joke candidate.

And there wasn't even Trivia that year. And then the Colts Grill shut down.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Well if anyone wants to chat I'm hanging out at exhibitor Hall entrance I on bench. Waiting for my vendor contact to get here.

Pandasaurus is one of the top publishers I want to pitch to. North Star is another. Trying to make a mental list of everyone that fits my designs.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Made it on the Gencon Express from Baltimore. There's like one sap continuing on to Chicago. Haven't been since 2015, pretty pumped.

Might got see if Flying Circus is at Games on Demand this afternoon.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Good luck pitching at GenCon, if it doesn't go well remember that GenCon isn't a great pitching con.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So many closed roads 😭

https://www.theindychannel.com/traffic/traffic-news/officials-provide-alternate-routes-to-and-from-indianapolis-airport-ahead-of-gen-con

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Good luck pitching at GenCon, if it doesn't go well remember that GenCon isn't a great pitching con.

I'm not expecting much. But there's a few publishers that I know will take quick pitches and only at convention so I'm going to try my best.

8one6
May 20, 2012

We ended up driving up highway 44/Washington St. It was a little slow but it's a straight shot into downtown.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am not attending this year and I expect to spend the next four days a figurative mountain of molten salt because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
In will call line AMA