Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

:woop: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/star-trek :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On season 4 of Voyager now. I am looking forward to seeing the episode again where the doctor visits a bronze age civilization that advances to be more technically advance than Voyager in the span of an hour.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mooseontheloose posted:

In defense of DISCO which I haven't watched, I don't mind a Star Trek show being more experimental with it's direction so long as it makes sense if that makes any logical sense.

For me one of the markers of the ramp up in quality from the early seasons in TNG was when they started to use more interesting camerawork. But that never came close to the film school insanity of Disco. It's like the cinematography equivalent of a Lovecraft novel's prose or a dad rock song with a five minute long guitar solo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I said come in! posted:

On season 4 of Voyager now. I am looking forward to seeing the episode again where the doctor visits a bronze age civilization that advances to be more technically advance than Voyager in the span of an hour.

You know what, that episode where he wants to pretend to have a family but Torres fucks with his program to teach him a lesson is so stupid, not just because it's a total dick move, but because he lived on this planet for like 30 years and raised a son. He already knows the reality of fatherhood.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You know what, that episode where he wants to pretend to have a family but Torres fucks with his program to teach him a lesson is so stupid, not just because it's a total dick move, but because he lived on this planet for like 30 years and raised a son. He already knows the reality of fatherhood.

No, I think the Doctor changed the algorithms of the family on the holodock himself. But Torres shamed him into doing it and then the doctor had to experience some pretty traumatic poo poo when his imaginary daughter died painfully. That episode comes first before his time on bronze age civilization planet.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

looking for continuity in all the wrong places

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I said come in! posted:

No, I think the Doctor changed the algorithms of the family on the holodock himself. But Torres shamed him into doing it and then the doctor had to experience some pretty traumatic poo poo when his imaginary daughter died painfully. That episode comes first before his time on bronze age civilization planet.

Aw drat for some reason I remembered it as being from like season 6

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hard pass

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yes!!!!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

On Voyager season 2... everyone gives Threshold poo poo, but it wasn't as boring as Twisted. That was a shockingly terrible episode. Threshold in contrast was at least a series of different things happening. Crazy nonsense things, sure, but Twisted was literally just an hour of walking around corridors going nowhere, and then they just give up and it's all okay.

I don't think I've hated an episode of Voyager so far as much as I hated Twisted.

Fortunately there have been some pretty good episodes to keep the spirits up as well. The one where Tuvok goes crazy and they debate capital punishment was fun. The one where the Q wants to commit suicide was fun. Death ethics episodes on Voyager: Pretty okay.

The one where they decide to ally with a Kazon sect and find a group of people the Kazon were persecuting and ally with them instead, but it turns out they were the ones who originally enslaved the Kazon, but they're sorry so it's okay to side with refugee hyper-Nazis, but then it turns out they're still hyper-Nazis and try to blow up a peace conference, and Voyager gets poo poo from everyone, and Janeway gives a speech where she basically says, "Man, really shoulda stuck with our principles on that one. Oops," and credits roll, was almost good.

It almost completely inverted the Kazon dynamic where we now understand them and feel their hosed up society is something we should be more sympathetic towards, but they decided the main Kazon should be a huge sexist for no reason to remind us to have no sympathy for these barbarians.

It's also kind of racist allegory for like Haiti or American inner cities, where we pat ourselves on the back for recognizing that things are lovely because white people hosed over blacks, but still think of blacks as barely human monsters who aren't capable of handling their own affairs like proper civilized people.

Still I respect the attempt at adding nuance to the Kazon situation. I remember them as just kind of dumb and frustrating, but there's an honest attempt to have them make sense in this world.

So long as we forget the water thing.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

More for me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think the only ST films I would go see in theaters would be WoK, TUC, and FC at this point

Although I don't really go out to the theater to see something I can just watch at home and have seen 20 times

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/29/robert-picardo-in-early-discussions-to-appear-in-star-trek-picard-season-two/

Robert Picardo In Early Discussions To Appear In ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Season Two

At last, Picard and Picardo! :getin:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the only ST films I would go see in theaters would be WoK, TUC, and FC at this point

Although I don't really go out to the theater to see something I can just watch at home and have seen 20 times

TMP is the main one I watch and go "I wish this was bigger and louder."

I wanna geek out over the gorgeous effects and have that magnificent score blast my ears like it's 1979. (Minus the disappointment because I'm prepared for the slow pace.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I wanna geek out over the gorgeous effects and have that magnificent score blast my ears like it's 1979. (Minus the disappointment because I'm prepared for the slow pace.)

Yeah, they haven't done a deal with Dochterman about remastering the so-called Director's Edition in 4K, but just seeing the reveal of the new Enterprise in a theater ... my God.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They seriously should have cut some of the scenes of traveling through V'Ger. It's just way too long.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They should have cut out everything but the scenes of them traveling through V’Ger, that’s the least half assed part of the movie.

“Oh yeah gimme more of the bits where they lounge around in beige one-pieces” —nobody

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

the true way to appreciate tmp is through a handcrank projector at ¼ speed

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

skasion posted:

They should have cut out everything but the scenes of them traveling through V’Ger, that’s the least half assed part of the movie.

“Oh yeah gimme more of the bits where they lounge around in beige one-pieces” —nobody

I agree. It's like watching a movie of people staring intently at a computer screensaver.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

They seriously should have cut some of the scenes of traveling through V'Ger. It's just way too long.

They literally didn't have time to edit the movie. It's not an urban legend, it is legitimate fact that the film's final reel was delivered to Bob Wise shortly before he boarded a plane to the premiere, and he hadn't seen it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

To me, TMP is one of my least favorite of the films because it feels more like they wanted to do 2001 but with the Enterprise than an actual ST film. A lot of the characters that aren't Kirk and Spock get nothing to do. It just doesn't gel with TOS or the later 5 films with the original cast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

They literally didn't have time to edit the movie. It's not an urban legend, it is legitimate fact that the film's final reel was delivered to Bob Wise shortly before he boarded a plane to the premiere, and he hadn't seen it.
I'm aware, but the Director's Cut isn't any better

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

lost my old email posted:

the true way to appreciate tmp is through a handcrank projector at ¼ speed

If you watch it hard enough, it actually starts to go backwards

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Star Trek just doesn't seem to work as a movie. The least bad Trek movies could have just been episodes, maybe not even two-parters necessarily.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Apparently Robert Picardo is in talks to reprise the role of The Doctor.

Sorry everyone.

I'm all aboard on Picard.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s fine that most of TMP is a Kirk McCoy Spock affair, it was the first “big” Star Trek thing in a decade and even then that was who most people thought of. Just cut out half of the flyby shots and you’ve got a much better movie.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Eiba posted:

On Voyager season 2... everyone gives Threshold poo poo, but it wasn't as boring as Twisted. That was a shockingly terrible episode. Threshold in contrast was at least a series of different things happening. Crazy nonsense things, sure, but Twisted was literally just an hour of walking around corridors going nowhere, and then they just give up and it's all okay.
The reason it's so slow and boring is because they wrote a 30 minute episode they had to stretch to 45 minutes. There was just nothing else to add so they made everyone wander around for a while.

Apparently Robert Picardo hates this Voyager episode more than any other.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do the Borg have assimilated animals?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I want to see a Borg ship that's got a whole ecosystem nesting in it, because they ignore everything that's not a threat, so as long as the various critters don't chew on the wires, they can do what they like.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Angry Salami posted:

I want to see a Borg ship that's got a whole ecosystem nesting in it, because they ignore everything that's not a threat, so as long as the various critters don't chew on the wires, they can do what they like.

Borg cubes are home to colonies of chill as gently caress capybaras who do nothing but lounge around.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I said come in! posted:

Do the Borg have assimilated animals?

[timg]httpss://i.imgur.com/ePVXXf7.gif[/timg]
In Shatner's highly insane ' The Return' he has assimilated dobermans, of course. And I think some great tarantula mechsuit dude.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

Check out Bruce Sterling’s “Swarm” if you haven’t for a take on that sort of thing

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

The Doctor comes home, doesn't have self-determination because the federation is a dick, and gets assigned to babysit Picard. They initially hate each other but learn to appreciate their quirks. Buddy cop show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Genuinely, I think it'd be awesome if the Doctor is now, like, a Federation Representative for Artificial Sapients.

Maybe he could be integrated in to the story because he was so recently involved in the process of getting a new peoples recognised by the Federation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

The movie's edit is fine enough, but you can't really edit out the plot being mostly about two characters we've never heard of during the big return of Star Trek, the show that basically invented fan conventions.

The effects shots are super-gorgeous in 1080 and the entire reason to watch the movie. If there were a cut of just the effects shots it would be killer. Shame about the rest of the movie.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The movie's edit is fine enough, but you can't really edit out the plot being mostly about two characters we've never heard of during the big return of Star Trek, the show that basically invented fan conventions.

The worst part is that, despite most of the plot including the resolution revolving around Decker and Illa, the film still makes no effort to explain who the hell they are and why we should care. I mean, I'm sure Roddenbury had a very clear idea why it was important that Illa had an oath of celibacy, but in the film itself it's a total non sequitur.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

That's genuinely a loving great idea. Borg world's should be ecological paradises, have some offhand line about how of course they let primitive life flourish, because it makes it easier for them to survive on those world's than it would be if they had to produce their own air and nutrients.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, I'm sure Roddenbury had a very clear idea why it was important that Illa had an oath of celibacy,

Sure he did, it was because :quagmire:

Sash! posted:

If you watch it hard enough, it actually starts to go backwards

Try firing photon torpedos at it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's a lot of "effects shots" in the V'ger flyover that could be cut or sped up a little and essentially nothing would be lost. Not drastically. Just literally any editing, as per the above-mentioned factoid where they legitimately did not have a chance to edit them. The exterior shots that show the scale of the Enterprise vs. V'ger are cool, but there's also a lot that's just the crew vaguely reacting to abstract shapes on a screen. In the latter, there's really no sense of scale or trajectory or anything, really no information conveyed. One or two of those shots would be good, to convey that the crew has no idea what's going on; but once that's been established, we really do need to move on to the next scene of somebody slowly flying into a thing.