Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
For whom the Dark tolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy poo poo, Crimson Court is more annoying than I expected.

Basically everyone i send there comes back cursed. And I can't progress because I stopped my first baron hunt after exploring tons of land but finding no keys, and now I can't get another invitation to drop, no matter how many more runs I do to get blood wine. I'm nearly out of people of the proper level I can even send in to try and get an invitation.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no shame in modding

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

no shame in modding

Very true, a mod to lower or flat out remove/weaken the effect of the curse is a good idea. But, I am pretty sure that invitations only can drop from the hives that show up in the four main areas at high infestation rate, and not in the courtyard. Also, would recommend just looking up a map of the courtyard missions, each mission gets increasingly incredibly punishing for not just heading right for the chests, and have a number of dead ends with nothing of value in them, or even worse, a croc battle with utterly nothing behind it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

UED Special Ops posted:

Very true, a mod to lower or flat out remove/weaken the effect of the curse is a good idea. But, I am pretty sure that invitations only can drop from the hives that show up in the four main areas at high infestation rate, and not in the courtyard. Also, would recommend just looking up a map of the courtyard missions, each mission gets increasingly incredibly punishing for not just heading right for the chests, and have a number of dead ends with nothing of value in them, or even worse, a croc battle with utterly nothing behind it.

I read that invitations drop from the little buttlers that show up holding them in high infestation missions, but they never spawned after the first time.

And yeah, next time i get one I'll use a map. Manor mobs stack too much status and stress to allow for wandering around too much, and the crocodile is a motherfucker.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

I read that invitations drop from the little buttlers that show up holding them in high infestation missions, but they never spawned after the first time.

And yeah, next time i get one I'll use a map. Manor mobs stack too much status and stress to allow for wandering around too much, and the crocodile is a motherfucker.

Yeah, weirdly there are two types of butler bloodsuckers, the ones that sometimes are part of main bloodsucker groups, and special ones holding invitations that spawn if you activate hives found in hallways that become more common as the infestation level grows. Annoyingly only the 2nd special ones can drop invitations, and they don't always spawn from the hives. The whole expansion is kinda grindy, even more so then stuff in the main game, and massively punishes lack of perfect knowledge incredibly hard, which is just lethal on the Champion difficulty courtyard. Least the Flagellant is amazing against anything that can bleed.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

While I have no idea what this is, I'm always happy to see more games start to appear following Darkest Dungeon's formula.

Iratus hit early access and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its certainly its own beast but "Darkest Dungeon 1.5 where you're the ancestor instead" is a fun pitch. :haw:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, defragged my hard drive, and now the game has really weird stutters, like if I exit a room or use a bandage, the game pauses for a stupidly long time.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

It looks like the game is called Warsaw coming to Steam/Switch. Anybody seen more of it to see if it looks good?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Wait, that's real?! I always assumed it was a parody, like, 'haha what if DD in a WWII setting'

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJcQ7Z6Obn4

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1026420/WARSAW/

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I am having a lot of fun with Iratus: Lord of the Dead, the new DD-like reverse Darkest Dungeon game. I was concerned about the difficulty reading the release day reviews but didn't find it to be that bad.

The biggest difference is probably that you can't farm. The run structure is more similar to something like Slay the Spire or FTL, so you have to build your team up to face bosses in a timely manner. However, it's not that unforgiving. In my most recent game I had 3 party wipes but still manage to recover. I lost two parties on the second boss and just threw together the last team I could muster and won.

A lot of people are complaining that your minions are not expendable but they are probably more expendable than they first appears. Your minions are not free but you will accumulate a healthy reserve of parts to make more than adequate teams if you suffered losses. You can also learn talents and cast spell and upgrade your base so even if you lost your minions you are not back to square one.

It's also pretty funny now you are the one dealing stress damage and can kill by scaring enemies to death ( I've yet to kill a single boss with hp damage).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 30, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

pedro0930 posted:

Iratus: Lord of Death,

Hmmm, okay definitely DD-like in some ways.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

That game looks interesting but man, I really hate the art style

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

That game looks interesting but man, I really hate the art style

Well, I also don't really love the art style but I think it looks better in motion. The character art is more detailed, allowing some cool animations instead of DD's still splash (then we also have the zombie's hit animation which looks like they just used the stretch tool to animate it). There's also detail like your minions and the enemy will look more beat up as they take damage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You dont need to mod in undead boobs.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
At least they got Wayte to make fun of himself for the bride's design.

"Ah, a design from my... younger years."

(She's incredibly good, holy poo poo the fire arrows and the wrath spender is incredible. I took two against the 1st boss after he stomped my A and B team and loving smoked him)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Aww, gently caress man, knowing how the history played out this game seems like it'd be hugely depressing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In truth, it seems almost inappropriate? Or rather, I cannot see a game covering the battle of Warsaw in a way that isn't in some way in poor taste.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant believe Hitler's the final boss.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Am I also off base by thinking it just looks like a shameless ripoff?

Samovar posted:

In truth, it seems almost inappropriate? Or rather, I cannot see a game covering the battle of Warsaw in a way that isn't in some way in poor taste.

I feel this

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

On that point, the dev team is Polish so however it turns out it is their own history they’re dramatizing.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Samovar posted:

It notes it's occupied Warsaw, 1944. So the Warsaw Uprising, where the resistance did well, but the Soviets were asses? Seems dark/survival-based enough to fit a Darkest Dungeon. And it's known the Nazis were deep into the occult. You could take that somewhere.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 30, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

You dont need to mod in undead boobs.

big fan of the skelebra

the dead cupping the dead, on and on, down the years. forever.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Man I'm surprised that this thread seems to have died.

I'm playing the Switch Darkest Dungeon (which is hard as gently caress to control). Can anyone tell me how I drink The Blood when I'm in the hamlet? I just can't loving work it out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You can't. Per the wiki,

quote:

Heroes left in the Hamlet while Wasting will automatically consume one vial of The Blood from your Provisions instead of dying. If no vials of The Blood are left when the mission is finished, the hero perishes as normal.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ah okay, thanks!
I don't remember on the PC version ever having it tell me they're suffering so I assumed I must have been giving them the blood. I've got tonnes of it, dunno why they're getting to that point.

loving switch version why is it so hard :argh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, it makes sense it's petering out, what with the reveal of DD2 coming out soon. Or soon-ish.

...actually, has there been more info on DD2?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Gonna be cold.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Mountains are involved.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

stupendous mountains

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Thyrork posted:

While I have no idea what this is, I'm always happy to see more games start to appear following Darkest Dungeon's formula.

Iratus hit early access and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its certainly its own beast but "Darkest Dungeon 1.5 where you're the ancestor instead" is a fun pitch. :haw:

But.. you are the ancestor.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Aren't there some Japanese style classes too, I thought we had a picture in the thread of that

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Taear posted:

I'm playing the Switch Darkest Dungeon (which is hard as gently caress to control).

Undocked, it is really easy to play in tablet mode.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Boosh! posted:

Undocked, it is really easy to play in tablet mode.

tbh I never use my switch undocked, I can see it being easier when you can just touch stuff.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Taear posted:

Aren't there some Japanese style classes too, I thought we had a picture in the thread of that

That was probably a mod you're thinking of.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U3bpBtdoCw

Gameplay of Warsaw.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Crasical posted:

That was probably a mod you're thinking of.

It was a photo of DD2 earlier in the thread. I mean they might have misrepresented it but that's what it looked like. Cold place, samurai style guys stood about.

It looks like it should be fun but I can't help but not find real life games interesting. I love history and the warsaw uprising is something I know a lot about but a game about it just sounds really boring. It's not escapist enough, too bleak.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 3, 2019

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Has anyone tried Mistover? It came out recently and is supposed to be a lot like Darkest Dungeon but I don’t see a dedicated thread for it and there is just generally not much coverage of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's a demo for it.