Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ulmont posted:

No. My fear is that if I start modding I'll never stop trying to get the exact perfect setup for my next playthrough and as a result I'll never actually play the game again.

I was in the same boat as you, but for me its pretty easy to draw a very sharp line between QoL stuff and all the zany custom gameplay changes and stuff. You'd be amazed at how much better life is with Gotcha Again and how completely non-tempting some random dude's ~*Necromancer*~ class is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This is the mod list I have right now. I haven't tried out the covert robots one yet, but I'm going to try it on my next game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm running an enormous and stupid mod list which gives both me and the aliens overpowered bullshit, turning XCOM 2 into a violent game of Calvinball.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
from watterson’s Sunday strips I’d say the only thing that’s stopped calvinball from becoming xcom’s brand of violent is a lack of budget for airsoft so I’d say you’re doing it in exactly the spirit the sport was intended

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 29, 2019

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Hell, I tried culling my modlist and ended up subscribed to a bunch more. And breaking at least 3 of the mods involved in unforseen ways that I don't think can be fixed, so there's that.

I do understand the appeal of trying to go base with QoL though. It's the game designed as intended and there's a lot of value in that. I just like seeing the insanity mods can create.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Speaking of small mods that don't really affect the vanilla experience, is there a mod out there that repositions the muzzle flash for weapons with repeaters? This has bugged me since pretty much day 1.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Speaking of small mods that don't really affect the vanilla experience, is there a mod out there that repositions the muzzle flash for weapons with repeaters? This has bugged me since pretty much day 1.

Short answer: probably not, unfortunately.

Long Answer: Iridar's Weapon Replacer guide goes into how a weapon works in XCOM2, and the repeater is a piece stuck onto the weapon, which presumably contains the data for effects/sounds. So if there's anywhere to change the location of the muzzle flash, it's there, but the way it talks about attachements suggests that's not an option, as far as I can tell.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Over the weekend I failed at assaulting the Assassin's Hideout. The first pod lucky-shotted my medic, and the second pod was chrysalids that poisoned one of my guys. Third pod didn't make anything any better, and by the time I got to the chamber, it was literally down to just my Reaper, who got knocked out the first turn by the Assassin.

So yeah, I can't take her down now, but for some reason my Reaper came back at the end of the mission :iiam:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Just a little update on the run I’m doing if anyone is still interested:

I’m at the point I have to start aggressively expanding. I’ve excavated everything, got full mag weapons but no predator armor yet—that’s the next big deal. Still 2 sparks, plasma grenades, adv. grenade launcher. Have the warlocks base revealed but need one more covert op to assault it (and a major to do the unlock mission—soon). Infirmary is in progress with shadow chamber to follow; next I’ll skull jack an officer and start facing codex. Viper King is guarding the next black site.

Permanent dark events so far are still Lost World, Undying Loyalty, and now High Alert?? I don’t start concealed anymore but really that’s not so bad. Actually, Undying Loyalty is the worst so far. It’s so unpredictable, it’s hard to plan around and the zombies actually hurt and have a decent chunk of HP. At least with Lost World i know when I’m going to summon a horde and I can build a lure if I choose.

The last retaliation mission was some bullshit. Put me on the opposite side of the map from everything. Berserker pod missed a civ so a second started rampaging on them as well. Had to overdrive-dash with a spark to attract them all from their killing spree. Fought everything on the map at the same time to keep from losing to civilian death. Mox just got off 45 days of injury as a result. Yolo

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

wuffles posted:

Just a little update on the run I’m doing if anyone is still interested:

I’m at the point I have to start aggressively expanding. I’ve excavated everything, got full mag weapons but no predator armor yet—that’s the next big deal. Still 2 sparks, plasma grenades, adv. grenade launcher. Have the warlocks base revealed but need one more covert op to assault it (and a major to do the unlock mission—soon). Infirmary is in progress with shadow chamber to follow; next I’ll skull jack an officer and start facing codex. Viper King is guarding the next black site.

Permanent dark events so far are still Lost World, Undying Loyalty, and now High Alert?? I don’t start concealed anymore but really that’s not so bad. Actually, Undying Loyalty is the worst so far. It’s so unpredictable, it’s hard to plan around and the zombies actually hurt and have a decent chunk of HP. At least with Lost World i know when I’m going to summon a horde and I can build a lure if I choose.

The last retaliation mission was some bullshit. Put me on the opposite side of the map from everything. Berserker pod missed a civ so a second started rampaging on them as well. Had to overdrive-dash with a spark to attract them all from their killing spree. Fought everything on the map at the same time to keep from losing to civilian death. Mox just got off 45 days of injury as a result. Yolo

Sounds like you’re a bit further ahead than my run. I think I’ve actually been fairly lucky so far - only major annoyance is the dark event that causes additional fatigue during missions (in hindsight this may have been a bad month to do lost towers). That mission got me a major, but he’s currently sitting sucking his thumb for most of the month, so it’s starting to look like I won’t be able to assault the assassin’s fortress in time to stop her sabotaging the avenger.

Currently trying to figure out whether I have enough healthy troops available to assault another facility.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wish I could get that resistance order where you one shot lost again

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah, that one was great. I remember combining it with some Death from Above and just mowing down Lost until the sniper rifle ran out of bullets.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

I didn't see that one until most of the game was over, so I only did a couple of lost missions with it. I can see it being incredible early on.

One of my first orders that I pulled was for an extra resistance fighter to join missions. They helped a lot in some of the early missions before I had a full squad. I'm not sure what the chance is, but it feels like about 1 in 3? I just wish they joined Xcom after the mission, same with the Advent defectors.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Between the Eyes is great while you have ballistic weapons and becomes just “ok” once you have higher-level soldiers with mag weapons. It remains pretty useful for Lost Brutes and can still allow you to wipe them off the map with only a sharpshooter’s pistol—it all depends on what other orders you have to choose from. I guess I can only say that if it comes up for me at this point I might take it, and that’s with a permanent chance for lost on every mission.

At this point I really only concern myself with the Dashers. The rest are easy to just stay out of range from until they can be dealt with.

What I’m debating at the moment is whether to pick up my starting continent bonus: Tactical Analysis. It is one of the stronger ones, with some observable benefits—but in the past I’ve found there to be at least 1 major downside: if you drop a mimic beacon on a pod that is affected by TA...and they can’t shoot it from where they stand, they will just take that action against your troops instead.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Tactical analysis is a horse of a different color to be sure because you spend several games kinda memorizing what the AI likes to do on an enemy by enemy basis and it just throws a wrench in that whole process.

I had it for most of my last commander run tho and I think it definitely saved me more trouble than it caused.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Tactical analysis is a horse of a different color to be sure because you spend several games kinda memorizing what the AI likes to do on an enemy by enemy basis and it just throws a wrench in that whole process.

I had it for most of my last commander run tho and I think it definitely saved me more trouble than it caused.

I think you’re absolutely correct in your assessment, but I’m not yet sure I want to throw that wrench into a predictable AI when I can’t afford a mistake.

It’s the middle of August and I finally started researching plated armor. I will say that one of the major drawbacks to fielding 2 sparks on each mission (at a certain point) is your inability to bring certain items into use. Without the armor upgrade I find myself having to make some hard choices between a med kit, mimic beacon, grenades (plasma/frost/flashbang), mindshields, ammo (blue screen/dragon/talon)and the skulljack.

Infirmary and resistance comms are up and the shadow chamber is in progress. I’ve expanded into the Hunter’s territory and already embarrassed him on a retaliation mission that could have gone sideways pretty easily. The last Guerrilla Ops I countered “the chosen no longer suffer from any weaknesses”—so I’m going to get hidden faceless on every mission (likely) or reinforcements on every Guerrilla Op.

Can’t wait until next month when I’m sure to have Lost, Psi Zombies, Faceless, and Chrysalids on every mission forever.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

hahahahaha I mean I don't dispute that "overconfidence is a slow insidious killer"--to quote darkest dungeon...but c'mon now. This is laughable. I'm not even sure I want to get rid of the warlock or the hunter because they are AP pinatas now. I have my majors, I can unlock the base assault. I've bent the avatar timer over my knee and the chosen too. So what if I don't have concealment, have to deal with the lost, or psi zombies. This poo poo is rote now.

edit: actually the most frustrating thing right now is having the game freeze up when undying loyalty is triggered on an overwatch. i.e. an advent soldier gets mowed down by overwatch or hunter protocol and then the game spawns a zombie which then gets mowed down again by one of the aforementioned abilities...and the game locks up and I have to reload the turn from before. gg xcom.

wuffles fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 1, 2019

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
One weird thing I noticed with the hunter in the last mission - if he can’t move to an elevated vantage point where he has LOS on someone he will just sit tight where he is and do nothing.

He spawned on the far side of a facility that was right on the edge of a cliff - I was able to get the drop on him simply by hugging the base of the cliffs until I got close enough to jump up and administer a lethal dose of grenades and railgun.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mainly I think tactical analysis is nice because it speeds up the game since you can move around more aggressively with reduced risk. If you aren't finding the game too difficult I would pick it up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm on my victory lap :ohdear:

I just took down the Hunter, up next is the Warlock, sadly I failed at taking out the Assassin a while back, so she'll still be harassing me. Next mission is a downed UFO.

One thing that I think really helped me in this game was my first resistance order was the one where excavations cut down by 50%, so I managed to clear out all the slots in the Avenger in under 2 months with two engineers.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Welp I lost a run to a surgical mission and a 3 viper pod. Helplessly watching all my dudes get slowly strangled to death sucked. Cant believe they never nerfed that dumbass sitrep

babypolis fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 2, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
holy poo poo never do surgical missions

Still, at least you only lost 3 dudes. That shouldn't ruin a campaign.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fangz posted:

holy poo poo never do surgical missions

Still, at least you only lost 3 dudes. That shouldn't ruin a campaign.

It can be if you're running too thin, like I have at times.

At least once you've got power armor and plasma rifles, you can just send out squads of rookies with a few pieces of extra equipment and just ace missions

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Since I like to run mods that double pod sizes or increase size by force level, I installed a mod that let me get "success" on a mission where I just complete the objective and bail out, and this led to a real intense surgical mission where my three characters are facing somewhere between 18 and 30 enemies at at time while the clock counts down. There was no where for the reaper to go to reach the objective and not get discovered because it was so packed, which made it a taut encounter.

I had a similarly taut adventure where I had to fight a late game Hunter and max level enemies with a bunch of rookies with a single colonel because everyone else were shaken or wounded, and I managed it with no fatalities. It seriously took several real life hours to pull off, though

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
get hosed sectopod

https://i.imgur.com/9ZKACr2.gifv

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: There's a bugfix mod out there that makes the surgical sitrep actually function properly, by reducing pod sizes as it's supposed to but doesn't. That's why it's such a ball-buster, it's literally bugged.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Speaking of things that are probably bugged, the Spark promotion where you shoot at enemies on their reveal can activate even while concealed if the target is in an active pod. This doesn't come up often but I was on a lost mission where an andromedon decided to get in a confrontation with the lost on the second turn as the lost activated to retaliate. Then my Spark blew all of our cover and started firing at the lost. Then the andromedon decides on his turn immediately after to totally ignore the lost and acid-bomb my 3 sparks instead.

I just threw up my hands and called for an evac. Not a game ender but under the wrong circumstances absolutely could have been.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

reignofevil posted:

Speaking of things that are probably bugged, the Spark promotion where you shoot at enemies on their reveal can activate even while concealed if the target is in an active pod. This doesn't come up often but I was on a lost mission where an andromedon decided to get in a confrontation with the lost on the second turn as the lost activated to retaliate. Then my Spark blew all of our cover and started firing at the lost. Then the andromedon decides on his turn immediately after to totally ignore the lost and acid-bomb my 3 sparks instead.

I just threw up my hands and called for an evac. Not a game ender but under the wrong circumstances absolutely could have been.

Yeah, that caused occasional issues early on, but once I started rolling with 6 in my squad it was fine. I had a ton of fun rolling through missions with 6 of them, although I got them so late in the game that it was the victory lap phase. I should have brought them with me on the final mission, but I wanted to roll out the A squad one last time.

I do want to find a mod that has you start with 4 sparks instead of 4 rookies, but I don't think there is anything out there like that yet. I am going to start a new game with the covert sparks + the one that gives them awc promotions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Forgot I had this one sitting around on my disk

https://i.imgur.com/56BX5fV.mp4

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Digirat posted:

Forgot I had this one sitting around on my disk

https://i.imgur.com/56BX5fV.mp4

I think the funniest part of this is that the ill-fated Resistance Warrior actually does manage to hit the target despite blowing themselves to smithereens.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Dusted this off and it's still fantastic. Was about to start victory-lapping in my latest game but ran into two sectopods on a Guerilla Op and lost two soldiers and managed to evac the other four, that was brutal, still no idea how I triggered them.

Once you get into the victory lap it just gets silly. Managed to find the Archon King inside the facility without triggering him with my 20% repeater +4 extended mag Banish Reaper who went full (teleports behind you) "nothing personal" to finally get the regicide achievement. Still noticing new dialogue and maps (I think the reason I muffed the guerilla op so badly was because it was on this dock tileset I had never seen with the objective on high ground at the end) and exploring new strategies.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Data request - % of campaigns that win vs. % of supply raids for that campaign that are untimed vs. the tag the loot variety.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Does anybody know off the top of their head what the chance to stun is on a non-upgraded emp grenade? I'm doing some legacy operations and Shen has one but she also has haywire protocol and so suddenly I've got to do some hard thinking about whether a 65% chance to stun the mec with haywire protocol is better or worse in the long run than just chucking the grenade.

For discussion's sake assume I don't have anyone available to take a follow up shot for a kill.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Finally managed to kill the assassin right before month end. I was slightly worried about that mission as the first floor turned into a real meatgrinder and I had to burn a few of the teamwork abilities I’d hoped to keep for later, but a couple of lucky 60% shots took her down after shooting up the sarcophagus.

Next month will still be a little dicey - I’m a bit behind on plasma research and the three rulers are still out there somewhere, but that’s definitely taken the pressure off a bit.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone got a QOL/Vanilla + mod list for a WOTC run? Haven't played in like a year or so.

What settings should I use for DLC integration and all that?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Imo:

Mods:
Gotcha again - Direct Improvement in gui, several elements where adopted by devs for wotc. Mandatory if modding at all.
Stop Wasting my time - Speeds up pauses between animations. Optionally can cut nag dialogues. May randomly improve avenger screen by 10fps?
Evac All - adds an extra button (clutter!) that evacs everyone in the zone. Looks cool tho.
All three of those have vanilla and wotc variants. Extra QoL stuff has diminishing returns, such as 'free camera rotations' etc.

Integration:
Rulers are fine as-is now after nerfs, also there's a small mission. Some people have pstd and integrate so they can soft-opt-out.
Shen's Gift: Not playing the mission is tantamount to heresy
Wotc intro: worth the first time for story, then people ditch it for variety.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I'm a huge fan of I'm the Commander Here, which lets you re-spec soldier's abilities (for a small AP cost). If they're going to go random-ish on the ability tree, I like being able to undo the RNG fuckery that leads to having soldiers with a less useful set of abilities. Its only available once you get the training center, and I think there's a scaling cost somehow? I remember seeing various costs across the same soldier to re-spec their abilities, but it has been a good while since I played so I may not be remembering right.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, but there's a difference between QoL mods, and just cheating if you don't like the rng.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Evac All is the best mod just for how good it looks to see all your dudes foomp off the field one after another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Curtis
Sep 14, 2004
Ask me about cheap Estonian sluts

Gyshall posted:

Anyone got a QOL/Vanilla + mod list for a WOTC run? Haven't played in like a year or so.

What settings should I use for DLC integration and all that?

Here's a mod that makes people shut the gently caress up on the geoscape thing which is good because jesus christ
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1334298434

And here's one that makes the chosen shut up during missions
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1137638215

Also here's Carl
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657003943