Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Bagheera posted:

I feel like a total wimp, as I have trouble eating figs after learning how wasp larvae are found in them. Even after I learned that the wasp larvae escape before the figs are harvested, I still have this awful image in my head of squirming worms when I bite into one.

As a vegan I’m always concerned about carefully examining veg/fruit. Many Buddhists traditionally don’t eat figs because of the potential wasp larva problem. Yet I don’t think there is really a risk and I have never found bugs in them like I do with raspberries (so many maggots and eggs inside! You have eaten tons of them and never realized) and dates (date worms and their poo poo, ugh). I lose a significant % of them to bugs every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bagheera posted:

I feel like a total wimp, as I have trouble eating figs after learning how wasp larvae are found in them. Even after I learned that the wasp larvae escape before the figs are harvested, I still have this awful image in my head of squirming worms when I bite into one.

when i was a kid i bit into a piece of broccoli that had a huge plump grub nestled in it that was both bitter as hell and still squirming when i spit it back out

what i'm saying, it comes with the territory

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
All vegetables have something.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That's another reason why I mostly buy frozen veg and get fresh only for specific dishes that I make occasionally.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lot of "bonus protein" haters itt

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

anakha posted:

That's another reason why I mostly buy frozen veg and get fresh only for specific dishes that I make occasionally.

Does making the grubs cold make them taste better or what

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Bagheera posted:

I dunno about larvae escaping, but many/most figs are pollinated by Fig Wasps, which die inside the flower and get absorbed into the fig as it matures. It doesn't come out.

No idea how much of that applies to figs grown outside their native habitats where I assume Fig Wasps don't live.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't care for the texture of figs. The crunchiness, which for a brief period of time I believed was the aforementioned wasp, is offputting to me.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Figs are just weird fruits in general, and I say that as someone who actually likes figs. It's like if plants had glands, they'd be figs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
wow this conversation is not selling me on figs

I just got an immersion blender. Tell me what to do with it, please? I know about mayo and hollandaise

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

They are good for tomato soup.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Weltlich posted:

Figs are just weird fruits in general, and I say that as someone who actually likes figs. It's like if plants had glands, they'd be figs.

My parental home has a fig tree in the garden (thanks, Italian grandmother!) and so I used to take them with me for my morning snack at school. Some kids starting saying they looked like the inside of a cat's ear??? And it was really upsetting.

Figs are delicious though. Halved, topped with a dollop of goat's cheese, half a walnut, and a drizzle of honey then grilled for a few minutes. Divine.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Anne Whateley posted:

wow this conversation is not selling me on figs

I just got an immersion blender. Tell me what to do with it, please? I know about mayo and hollandaise

Split pea soup or the variety of white chicken chili that calls for blended beans instead of cheese are good uses.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Barbecued figs wrapped in prosciutto :getin:

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
i looked closely at the bottoms of a bunch of asparagus i bought and found a little hole in one of the stalks. I sliced it open longways and found a little wormy guy inside. i spent the rest of the evening reading about asparagus pests. I think it was a cutworm or asparagus miner.

I'd rather have bugs in my food than pesticides, but i'm probably eating both.

also fresh figs are weird and gross IMO but bollock monkey's goat cheese honey walnut thing sounds pretty good. more because of every non-fig ingredient, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That wasp thing is 99.9999% bs right? I never heard of anyone actually finding a wasp in their fig

Figs are awesome, fresh or dried. They’re great in salad, they’re great in roasts, they’re great as sides. When I eat good cured iberico, I say that it reminds me of dried figs

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Wikipedia posted:

Though the lives of individual species differ, a typical pollinating fig wasp life cycle is as follows. In the beginning of the cycle, a mature female pollinator wasp enters the immature "fruit" (actually a stem-like structure known as a syconium) through a small natural opening (the ostiole) and deposits her eggs in the cavity. Forcing her way through the ostiole, she often loses her wings and most of her antennae. To facilitate her passage through the ostiole, the underside of the female's head is covered with short spines that provide purchase on the walls of the ostiole. In depositing her eggs, the female also deposits pollen she picked up from her original host fig. This pollinates some of the female flowers on the inside surface of the fig and allows them to mature. After the female wasp lays her eggs and follows through with pollination, she dies. After pollination, there are several species of non-pollinating wasps which deposit their eggs before the figs harden. These wasps act as parasites to either the fig or possibly the pollinating wasps. As the fig develops, the wasp eggs hatch and develop into larvae. After going through the pupal stage, the mature male’s first act is to mate with a female. The males of many species lack wings and are unable to survive outside the fig for a sustained period of time. After mating, a male wasp begins to dig out of the fig, creating a tunnel through which the females escape.

Once out of the fig, the male wasps quickly die. The females find their way out, picking up pollen as they do. They then fly to another tree of the same species, where they deposit their eggs and allow the cycle to begin again.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Considering how good figs are with just a few wasps inside of them, imagine how wonderful an actual wasp nest must taste. :downs:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I think that this whole think might have be a little sensationalized. Here is a short story telling of what's going on and why you probably are not eating wasp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DQTjv_u3Vc

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

That wasp thing is 99.9999% bs right? I never heard of anyone actually finding a wasp in their fig
Unless you live in Southern Europe along the Mediterranean---where both the B. psenes wasps and the specific species of fig which they can pollinate are native---you're unlikely to encounter any fig wasps accidentally. B. psenes are fuckin' tiny (just a couple mm long) and short-lived, and in places where you don't have a whole shitload of figs continuously available for them to use they die off.

In the late 19th Century there were a lot of efforts to commercially grow various forms of fig in North America (and California specifically) and there were a lot of failed attempts at trying to use fig wasps as pollinators due to misunderstanding about their lifecycle and the relationship between specific species of fig and wasp. The process that developed is called caprification and unless you're doing something like that and imported a bunch of wasps for the purpose, you're unlikely to find any wasps in figs in your backyard.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Did a double take reading that b. psenes are tiny

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bottom line, eat more loving figs

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Did a double take reading that b. psenes are tiny
And easily digested by female organs.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Nvm: I didn't understand what I was reading.

sterster fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 30, 2019

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Bollock Monkey posted:

My parental home has a fig tree in the garden (thanks, Italian grandmother!) and so I used to take them with me for my morning snack at school. Some kids starting saying they looked like the inside of a cat's ear??? And it was really upsetting.

Figs are delicious though. Halved, topped with a dollop of goat's cheese, half a walnut, and a drizzle of honey then grilled for a few minutes. Divine.

Fica (fig) means oval office in Italian ^_^

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
tiger figs are sublime

all figs are good but I tend to like the sharper, more acidic ones more

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

coolanimedad posted:

Fica (fig) means oval office in Italian ^_^

Fico is fig, the feminine (fica) is oval office, and un/che fico is “how cool/hot” in regards to a situation/a man. Tad bit of linguistic misogyny to lighten up the day : )

Also pene means dick so make sure to emphasise the second n if you’re gonna start raving about pasta.

e: the best pizza I’ve ever eaten was fig and prosciutto with a little arugala added after it came out of the oven.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 30, 2019

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Weltlich posted:

There's speculation that eating fruit, primarily figs, was an important step in primate brain development. Also, fig preserves are great companions to cheeses.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/27/fruit-foraging-primates-may-be-key-large-brain-evolution

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

how do you measure leafy greens for recipes? a cup of spinach, for example. is that spinach thrown into a cup sitting all fluffy with unused space (what I think it is and have been doing)? Or do you kind of stuff it in the cup and fill it with more than can naturally fit?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

With something like greens, I think the right answer is ultimately whichever way tastes best to you. If you make it your way and wish the dish had more spinach, pack it next time. Or vice versa.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

For leafy greens I’d go with packed rather than loose. Obviously use discretion but as a rule I’ll push the greens down until it feels like I’m almost crushing them inside the measuring cup.

Couldn’t say if there’s some sort of industry standard for cookbooks but with any recipe that relies on you cooking greens down you’re often safer overdoing it imo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good rule of thumb for spinach is 1 cup of uncooked = 1 teaspoon cooked hope this helps

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Good rule of thumb for spinach is 1 cup of uncooked = 1 teaspoon cooked hope this helps

checks out

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

quote:

Though the lives of individual species differ, a typical pollinating fig wasp life cycle is as follows. In the beginning of the cycle, a mature female pollinator wasp enters the immature "fruit" (actually a stem-like structure known as a syconium) through a small natural opening (the ostiole) and deposits her eggs in the cavity. Forcing her way through the ostiole, she often loses her wings and most of her antennae. To facilitate her passage through the ostiole, the underside of the female's head is covered with short spines that provide purchase on the walls of the ostiole. In depositing her eggs, the female also deposits pollen she picked up from her original host fig. This pollinates some of the female flowers on the inside surface of the fig and allows them to mature. After the female wasp lays her eggs and follows through with pollination, she dies. After pollination, there are several species of non-pollinating wasps which deposit their eggs before the figs harden. These wasps act as parasites to either the fig or possibly the pollinating wasps. As the fig develops, the wasp eggs hatch and develop into larvae. After going through the pupal stage, the mature male’s first act is to mate with a female. The males of many species lack wings and are unable to survive outside the fig for a sustained period of time. After mating, a male wasp begins to dig out of the fig, creating a tunnel through which the females escape.

Once out of the fig, the male wasps quickly die. The females find their way out, picking up pollen as they do. They then fly to another tree of the same species, where they deposit their eggs and allow the cycle to begin again.

Copy/Paste fun with the girlfriend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I got nectarines in my latest produce box and they've been sitting in my fridge for a few days because I have no idea what to do with them, and also my wife is allergic to most pitted fruits which I think includes these. What can I make with them?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

C-Euro posted:

I got nectarines in my latest produce box and they've been sitting in my fridge for a few days because I have no idea what to do with them, and also my wife is allergic to most pitted fruits which I think includes these. What can I make with them?

Tarts, cobblers, roast with pork/chicken, salsa, eat out of hand, make into a sauce and put it on gingerbread with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, eat with fancy cheese, freeze slices for the winter, put on yogurt or cottage cheese, cocktails, make a sandwich with it and bacon and brie...

So many uses. Do you want sweet or savory?

Also don't feed to your wife.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Is she allergic to pitted fruits always, or only raw pitted fruits? If it's just raw pitted fruits, then like effika said, a cobbler is a great way to prepare stone fruit as a "lazy pie."

I ask, because I am allergic to white birch pollen, and a lot of fruit have a similar protein in them. During most of the year, I'm fine, but during the spring when the trees are jizzing everywhere and my histamine system is already in stress, I get a super itchy tongue/soft palate when I eat apples, cherries, and a few other raw fruit. But if they're cooked, that protein denatures and it doesn't bother me at all. I am not a doctor, and don't do this unless she's been cleared by an allergist - but if that's the secret to allowing her to enjoy fruits, then cobbler is a great way to have something pie-like without going to pie-effort.

Anyhow, if it's just you, and you've only got three of four of the nectarines, I'd just slice them up, put them in some Tupperware and take them in lunches as a nice treat.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Roast the nectarines and some chilis and add cilantro and lime and stuff and make a salsa for pork

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

effika posted:

Tarts...
Yes.

effika posted:

cobblers...
YES!

effika posted:

eat out of hand
Keep going!

effika posted:

make into a sauce and put it on gingerbread with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...
I’m nearly there!

effika posted:

make a sandwich with it and bacon and brie...
What the gently caress is wrong with you? You’ve ruined it, go to sleep, I’m tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Bagheera posted:

To clarify my previous comment: I'm fully aware that there are no (or at least very few) wasps or eggs or larvae in my figs. I just got a creep factor when I first read about their pollination methods.