Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Overdrive into a DS-1 with the tone all the way up into a Metal Zone? That ought to be a war crime.

[edit] Never mind, that's the Level knob. I thought the one in the middle was Tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Tad Doyle had something like an HM2 -> Fuzz Face -> Rat -> Big muff -> Digital chorus chain, and sounded awesome. :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea gain stacking isn't a new idea wtf :(

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol is that a dod thrash master

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Does he hit the wah pedal with his dick?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That looks like an older version of the Shin-Ei Fuzz Wah, so maybe he's just using the fuzz?

Jr. posted:

Does he hit the wah pedal with his dick?
This is still not out of the question, though. :v:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You loving humps, that's Hideki Kawakami from Disclose. They loving rule and sound amazing and big ups the Thrashmaster. :getin:

P.S. RIP Kawakami, noble prince.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

:laffo: at the iron maiden cover band bass tone

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

darkwasthenight posted:

Tickets for this were like 200 bucks.

Please welcome tonight’s band, Dave’s Rapidly Aging Nephew and the Strange Stage Arrangement Band!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

ASenileAnimal posted:

Gen X is the new boomer.

Nothing says aging white guy funk cover like a bass that sounds like a particularly percussive fart.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OutOfPrint posted:

Gen X is the new boomer.

Nothing says aging white guy funk cover like a bass that sounds like a particularly percussive fart.
So basically Fieldy's tone.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Wark Say posted:

So basically Fieldy's tone.

one of the perks of picking up the bass when korn was at the height of their popularity was being able to downtune it and do the fieldy thing and not have my non musician friends realize i had no idea what i was doing.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ASenileAnimal posted:

His tone has never exactly been stupendous but y'know, its Metallica. If you actually hear the bass it's all good. Joey Castillo looking rough on drums though...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ASenileAnimal posted:

one of the perks of picking up the bass when korn was at the height of their popularity was being able to downtune it and do the fieldy thing and not have my non musician friends realize i had no idea what i was doing.

Lol rap rock era were especially dark times fuckin hell.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

ASenileAnimal posted:

I didn't understand string gauges and poo poo as a teen back then so I was like huh when I tune down to B my strings get all floppy I guess you have to have one of those 5-strings like all the nu-metal dudes do for it to be able to go that low. And I mean it kind of makes sense if you assume professional musicians understand how their instruments work, why else would they all be playing basses with an extra string when they only use two of the five?

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 30, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's why I kind of respect when bass players like John Campbell or Steve DiGiorgio just say "gently caress, who are we fooling here?" and straight up just use 3 strings on their basses.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I use all five strings on my bass. Thank you power chords.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

s.i.r.e. posted:

:lol:

gently caress me.

It was put on by Cosmo Music, a music store that's heaven for Bluesdads everywhere. I've been going there since they were a kinda a dump in the 90s and they've since moved and gone upscale. I can't hate them for going upscale and doing events like this; they gotta follow the money and they still stock all the cheap stuff. Their CosmoFest was a free celebration of Dadrock and CanRock, but sadly I couldn't make it out this year.

They don't judge me for buying cheap clones over more "boutique" pedals, so I'm all good with them.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Wark Say posted:

That's why I kind of respect when bass players like John Campbell or Steve DiGiorgio just say "gently caress, who are we fooling here?" and straight up just use 3 strings on their basses.

At least when Robert Trujillo's 12 year-old took over for Fieldy on a Korn tour (lol) he didn't put on airs

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thermos H Christ posted:

At least when Robert Trujillo's 12 year-old took over for Fieldy on a Korn tour (lol) he didn't put on airs

I can deffo buy that Korn probably played their first shows with a bass player who had some actual chops.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol Robert Trujillo teaching his son the bass parts to Korn songs "ok now, to start, take your sick-rear end tone and scoop the mids and make it sound like irredeemable dogshit."

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

"This will feel bad to play and sound bad to hear, but the money you somehow make from it will be good."

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol is that a dod thrash master

looks like it. there's one at the pawn shop near my place and I keep thinking of getting it. do those things even sound any good? I just remember the ad copy from the dod book that came with one of the other pedals I had made it sound so great

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorewar posted:

looks like it. there's one at the pawn shop near my place and I keep thinking of getting it. do those things even sound any good? I just remember the ad copy from the dod book that came with one of the other pedals I had made it sound so great

It’s a tweaked HM2. It’s dope. Very useful for D-Beat/Crust as evidence by the Kawakami photo above.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 31, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The real brown sound. :v:

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Well can anyone help me or not

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Well I've seen people rolling on the floor being sick from badly controlled bass, so I guess...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

interval of turds

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Rap? More like crap!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Wut? I'm confused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AHhKRqdtGs

https://reverb.com/news/mysterious-...c&utm_source=fb

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Music stores are often directed to destroy unsold/unsellable stock, which is why you can find dumpster dive'd Les Pauls that have literally been beaten up with hammers on eBay. I guess that's what's happening here on a massive scale to the most-hated Gibson guitar in history.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Wtf why not donate them to schools or poor kids?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Now that is some truly stupid music poo poo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's a charity started by the skatepark of Tampa called Boards for Bros where they refurbish skateboards and give them out to kids for free on Christmas. Some other companies caught wind of it and usually donate so much stuff that the charity holds another event where they get volunteers to put together completes out of donated parts.

gently caress off Gibson, give those guitars to music schools for free instead of destroying them. The positive press alone will offset the loss of stock.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a charity started by the skatepark of Tampa called Boards for Bros where they refurbish skateboards and give them out to kids for free on Christmas. Some other companies caught wind of it and usually donate so much stuff that the charity holds another event where they get volunteers to put together completes out of donated parts.

gently caress off Gibson, give those guitars to music schools for free instead of destroying them. The positive press alone will offset the loss of stock.

:yeah:

We keep generations of kids oblivious to the joys of making music and then ask “why is no one playing guitar?”. It sucks and I really want to start finding more groups like that. When I actually get around to releasing stuff on bandcamp I would love for it to do well enough to start kicking some cash towards something like that. A bit of a far off dream but yeah. If my parents didn’t buy me a guitar in the early 00s I have no clue how the gently caress I would have made it through.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
whoa new ok go music video sweet. their best song yet

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

and to think, if they had just plugged all of those into a mic'd up wall of amps, they'd have the most metal sound of all time instead of looking like dipshits :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still hella mad at that video. Can we get some funny music poo poo happening?