Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude looks even more evil than usual, so it would be quite a twist for him to not be a total dickbag for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dude looks even more evil than usual, so it would be quite a twist for him to not be a total dickbag for once.

It's the beard. It's an evil beard.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I still hate Sinister for killing Kate Kildare in the Kieron Gillen run.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Goth peacock chic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hickman's already written some Sinister during Secret Wars. And it was an amazing Sinister.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hickman used him perfectly in Secret Wars. I'm hoping he gets to writer him some more.

Hickman tweeted about how everyone forgets that Mr. Sinister isn't a mutant.
Which means it could be a big plot point in his run.
(Like how Krakoa will let mutants onto the island but non-mutants basically need a pass.)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's finally time for Hickman to craft the definitive tale of the Nasty Boyz.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Dan Didio posted:

It's finally time for Hickman to craft the definitive tale of the Nasty Boyz.

:hai:

Hell, I'd honestly be interested in seeing him take a crack at sorting out The Upstarts too.

But I definitely want more Hickman Sinister. And Sinister Hickman.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hell yeah, bring back the Upstarts as a super yuppie 'Get Out' style secret society.

Though I guess Morrison kind of already did something like that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Gillen did a really good revamp of Sinister in his X-Men run, and Hickman is pretty much the only subsequent writer who made any effort to retain that characterization, so hopefully he builds on that.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
There was a good moment in the recent Uncanny (and it did have the occasional good moment) where Emma realizes the Sinister that's been helping her isn't the real deal, as he's melting all over her shoes.

Though I'm under the impression from Gillen's run that there is no "real" Sinister, not anymore, but I guess that's pretty easy to retcon as "sure there is, the real one was over there the whole time, up to no good!" I like that he's sort of ripped off Doom's schtick in that regard. If Doom's ever seen being less than perfect, that was obviously a Doombot, you clod, you ignorant fool.

On a similar note (as in, characters who spend some or all of their time in a liquid state) if Hickman put Mercury on that image and only uses her for like one page, I'll feel ripped off. If goddamn GLOB got to be the focus of so much poo poo these past few years, I feel like Mercury deserves some spotlight. I've always wanted to see a story about her coming to terms with just how non-human she really is, after there was a couple panels in New X-Men where she mentions she doesn't eat or drink but still comes to lunch so she still feels like part of the group, or something of that nature.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's no way Hickman doesn't use the poo poo out of Globb Herman at some point.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There's no way Hickman doesn't use the poo poo out of Globb Herman at some point.

I love Glob's recent rise to prominence.
When did he turn from a bully shitheel from Morisson's run to the current gentle and awkward loser?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I’m waiting to see what he does with Goldballs.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm hoping to see the invulnerable avengers academy kid who joined damage control.

Edit: Butterball.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 29, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
was he a mutant?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

If Rockslide isn't the ultimate hero in all of this then what are we doing????

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Jiro posted:

If Rockslide isn't the ultimate hero in all of this then what are we doing????

Not an emptyquote.

*edit* I guess I could expand on this. It's definitely because they were one of the first books that got me into comics, but I love the New X-Men kids a lot, and I feel like they've been around enough and paid their dues that at least some of them should get bumped up to be at least on the level of, say, Husk or Chamber, because they're definitely not really students anymore.

At the very least: Pixie, Anole, Rockslide, Hellion, Surge, Mercury, Gentle, Elixir and like, Bling! should be part of a team that has their own missions and not just populate student background scenes. Armor can lead since she's been around for a while. Glob can come too. Also bring Dust back and find a way to make her unproblematic.

Also Marvel should give me a million dollars since I'm just making wild wishes.

Jim the Nickel fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 30, 2019

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The climactic reveal of the villainous organisation's plan, the X-Men despairing/broken, and then...

Rockslide and Anole, from the smoke. Wearing moustaches.

[Under a hockey mask, in Rockslide's case.]

The moustaches are the Powers of X. All the Mutants then get moustaches. And fight crime.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Rockslide is probably an Omega who is going to expand his conciousness to fill the planet and fight off some threat or what are we even doing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone thinks Krakoa cloned old Xdudes and is trying to colonize the planet with it's consciousness via the plants and that wouldn't be a terrible fakeout.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Powers of X seems to be contain all the intense dense Hickmaning you'd expect, I'm banking that most theories floated so far are pretty mundane compared to what he's got planned based on the snippets revealed so far.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I love Gillen's idea of Sinister in that he's transcended the concept of mortality and individuality completely. Sinister is a distributed system, and he can be a huge jerk to everyone with no consequences because there are backup Sinisters who don't even know it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Rockslide is probably an Omega who is going to expand his conciousness to fill the planet and fight off some threat or what are we even doing

But not before being touched by Gambit and running off.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nevvy Z posted:

There needs to be a short story or backup or something versus Galactus where the climax is Rockslide doing just that, and then he transforms the planet Unicron-style into a giant version of himself and punches Galactus' head off, at which point it's revealed the whole story has just been Rockslide writing his own fanfiction.

Either way, speaking of him being possibly Omega, I've always wanted to write an X-book focusing on a team of "fundamentally unkillable" mutants, namely Rockslide, Mercury, and Laura, cause I love that "wave" of students in particular. Pretty much more than any other loosely-defined X-group, actually.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sinister was honestly a really lovely character until gillen created the dickbag victorian hive mind version.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Diet Poison posted:

There needs to be a short story or backup or something versus Galactus where the climax is Rockslide doing just that, and then he transforms the planet Unicron-style into a giant version of himself and punches Galactus' head off, at which point it's revealed the whole story has just been Rockslide writing his own fanfiction.

Either way, speaking of him being possibly Omega, I've always wanted to write an X-book focusing on a team of "fundamentally unkillable" mutants, namely Rockslide, Mercury, and Laura, cause I love that "wave" of students in particular. Pretty much more than any other loosely-defined X-group, actually.

Along these lines I want a team of the quiet dorks with obvious mutations like Eyeboy and Ernst and Glob that maybe aren't the best fighters but who could have outreach roles to new mutants. Like make it so they don't feel like they have to go live in the sewers with the Morlocks just because they're a lil ugly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jim the Nickel posted:

Along these lines I want a team of the quiet dorks with obvious mutations like Eyeboy and Ernst and Glob that maybe aren't the best fighters but who could have outreach roles to new mutants. Like make it so they don't feel like they have to go live in the sewers with the Morlocks just because they're a lil ugly.

With special guest lecturer Benjamin J. Grimm.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Actually, I'd be legit interested to see a book or an arc like that from somebody like Leah Williams, where mutants with blatantly non-humanoid appearances are used as part of a gentle conversation about body image in general.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jim the Nickel posted:

He's not quite in the same league as Rockslide in terms of immortality, but Glob was used as shielding for for re-entry into Earth's atmosphere, so whether or not he can fight, he's pretty hard to put down.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Actually, I'd be legit interested to see a book or an arc like that from somebody like Leah Williams, where mutants with blatantly non-humanoid appearances are used as part of a gentle conversation about body image in general.

she already broached the topic in the Domino Annual with her and Kurt starting a support group for non-Human passing mutants, it'd be cool to see her continue with that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

she already broached the topic in the Domino Annual with her and Kurt starting a support group for non-Human passing mutants, it'd be cool to see her continue with that

I'm trying to imagine Domino explaining her struggles with not looking like everyone else to Beak.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I'm trying to imagine Domino explaining her struggles with not looking like everyone else to Beak.

You should look up the actual story, it features possibly the only time Stacy X has been well written in her history and it's explaining to the rest of the group why she's there despite looking like a normal human since she was depowered

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1156366444193570816?s=19

Edit: I voted 18 issues, but in retrospect I kinda wish I voted None I want you fired knowing how contrary he is and it would inspire him to do nothing but X-Men comics for the rest of his life.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 31, 2019

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
Please, my dear fellow goons, vote "12 + Stuff". I'm stoked to be lettering X-Men, but I'm so tired of lettering double shipping titles month after month after month.

Minister of Sound fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 31, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Minister of Sound posted:

Please, my dear fellow goons, vote "12 + Stuff". I'm stoked to be lettering X-Men, but I'm so tired of lettering double shipping titles month after month after month.

Voted 52 issues.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

You monster.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Minister of Sound posted:

Are you allowed to tell us if there's any significance to the lettering being upper and lower case instead of all caps?

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

That's what Jonathan wanted. If there's a significance behind it, I don't know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Alright, I was kind of down on House of X. Powers of X, however, is bananas. Any single one of the ideas getting thrown around here could fuel several years worth of comics, and there's like twelve. I can't even tell if it's good, really, but it is ambitious as all hell.

I had kind of resigned myself to the idea that Hickman's run would be long on big ideas and short on sharp characterization... and then we get goofy Nimrod, who is immediately one of my favorite characters. Also, Nimrod is doing not just X-Men 2099, but X-Men 3099. Also also, the fact that Nimrod and his followers in the year 3099 have killed all humans. I'm really hoping we get some Warlock or Danger perspectives on this future three way human-robot-mutant war.

Really loved the historian's note of "in retrospect, it should have been obvious that Sinister was going to betray us."