Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
So I guess the Court didn't think it reasonable to fire a quadriplegic government employee for not removing his badge from a laptop [which he wasn't physically capable of doing]

quote:

Mr. Augustus responded by informing Mr. Smith that “such conduct will not be tolerated and may result in disci-plinary action.” J.A. 1840. He reprimanded Mr. Smith for failing to follow instructions regarding how and when tasks should be completed. And he issued a record of infraction, accusing Mr. Smith of violating GSA’s information technol-ogy (“IT”) policy by leaving his computer access card (“PIV” card) unattended in his laptop in his cubicle. Mr. Augustus did not acknowledge that Mr. Smith, a quadriplegic, had never removed the PIV card from his laptop because he was physically unable to do so. 

On September 14, 2016, Mr. Augustus proposed remov-ing Mr. Smith from his position. Mr. Augustus charged Mr. Smith with failure to comply with IT policy, failure to follow supervisory instructions, and disrespectful conduct towards a supervisor.1 The deciding official determined that “the reasons for [the] proposed removal fully support and justify” removal, and the agency removed Mr. Smith from his position. J.A. 1664.

http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/opinions-orders/18-1604.Opinion.7-19-2019.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

gvibes posted:

Like docketnavigator, for patent cases?

Docketnavigator has (or at least had when I last used it) limited proprietary data but would presumably be one example - mostly it’s just a PACER replicator. Lex Machina is the big one and does have significant amounts of proprietary/hand-checked data. There’s also some analytics run as an adjunct to the primary business model (RPX and Unified Patents.). All that’s in the patent space, though Lex has expanded beyond it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
you think a film adaptation of CATS is a good idea? Really?

I'd say I question your judgment but... I went to law school, so I can't really talk.

In other news. One of my last bullshit habeas trials, closing out. Post Trial brief (that judge didn't even want us to do but OC whined and insisted) was due Friday. I forgot what with the whole immediate family member death this month and all. Got nice e-mail from the clerk (this is why making friends with the clerks is good... future lawyers, take note) reminding me. I go "ohsi… it's almost done. I'll get you a motion to extend asap." we need opposing counsel's position. So I explain to this bitch the reason (My dad died), and that I am asking an extension to Thursday.

She objects. On the grounds that because they were supposed to be simultaneous briefs (she wanted reply briefs too) it's unfair that I get to read hers before filing mine.

Except... she mail served hers. It hasn't even arrived yet. (and also I never read anything I don't actually have to respond to).

So... in a nutshell... garbage human being. and also a lovely lawyer. like painful to watch.

In other other news.... had to do a "justify your existence because the state is broke" numbers game.

In the last 5 years, I've briefed and argued 24 appeals, tried 67 habeas cases and 4 murder trials, and wrote/argued over 200 motions.

Jesus loving Christ. I need a loving vacation.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Terror Ninja posted:

So I guess the Court didn't think it reasonable to fire a quadriplegic government employee for not removing his badge from a laptop [which he wasn't physically capable of doing]

http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/opinions-orders/18-1604.Opinion.7-19-2019.pdf

people are garbage.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

HBO’s Chernobyl is good horror/thriller.

have heard good. but looking for something more movie length.

Nonexistence posted:

All of Black Mirror. Last season was fairly recent.

Concur. Even Miley Cyrus was tolerable. Favorite episode?

sullat posted:

Altered Carbon was good. Octonauts is another good one.

The cartoon about anamorphic bears in a submarine?

blarzgh posted:

Train to Busan

Edit: also, The Haunting of Hill House

Double Edit: gently caress, forgot about Snowpiercer, and the best of all of them, Under the Skin

Hill House was amazing. Concur. Will check out under the skin tonight. Edit: just read the synopsis. You have issues.

Whitlam posted:

:australia: Netflix so gently caress knows if we even have the same content but I found Clown pretty weird and unnerving. Otherwise yeah, Hill House is good. I'm also a sucker for the classics and The Exorcist is one of my favourites of all time. Not entirely horror but The Endless was also entirely brilliant and well worth checking out, imo.

Musical theatre and horror are basically what I live for, so naturally I'm pretty excited by the trailer for Cats.

Exorcist is classic. But you think CATS movie is a good idea. I cannot take any of your recommendations seriously.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 30, 2019

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ActusRhesus posted:

Exorcist is classic. But you think CATS movie is a good idea. I cannot take any of your recommendations seriously.

Good idea on the grounds of "it looks terrifying and awful. Hell yeah I'm in." Don't pretend you're unfamiliar with that line of thinking, you went to law school too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The exorcist is one of the best movies ever made it’s literally perfect

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

How did you feel about the remaster with the added scenes? Better or worse than original release?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have no idea. What added scenes.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Will check out under the skin tonight. Edit: just read the synopsis. You have issues.

The atmospheric tension and visual storytelling make up for the lack of elf sex

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
More Exorcist = more good. I went to a screening once with an introduction with Linda Blair, which was fun. The book is also a great read if you haven't checked it out. I know they bring out goon scorn but the Regan Funko Pop is actually good as well, come at me.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Any last minute bar exam tips? After it’s all over I’m going on a three day bender in Vermont.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

ActusRhesus posted:

Concur. Even Miley Cyrus was tolerable. Favorite episode?

Too close to choose between Miley Cirus and the Uber driver. Of the whole series, Nosedive hands down.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Toona the Cat posted:

Any last minute bar exam tips? After it’s all over I’m going on a three day bender in Vermont.

Keep track of your time on the essays, if you're over time on one essay, move on. You get far more points with listing the rule and recognizing relevant facts than on your analysis. You'll lose more points overall if you're concerned with polish.

On the MBE go with your first choice and move on. If you aren't sure about a question, pick the answer you think is most right, write the number down on the back of the test book and come back to it IF you have time. If you've studied hard enough, you should recognize what a question is asking, even subconsciously, your gut is more likely right than wrong.

Breathe, go to the bathroom if you need to, holding it will be more distracting than the 3 minute trip to the bathroom. You're going to think you did worse than you actually did. Just put an answer down for every question and you're halfway done.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

The cartoon about anamorphic bears in a submarine?

There's only one bear, the captain. The first mate is a cat and the ship's doctor is a penguin. And it's more like a mobile undersea base that has a number of attached submersible vehicles.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Interesting legal question: IF you are a person who puts his seat back on a plane or a bus, are you a huge piece of poo poo?

I'm gonna go with yes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nice piece of fish posted:

Interesting legal question: IF you are a person who puts his seat back on a plane or a bus, are you a huge piece of poo poo?

I'm gonna go with yes.

The real villain is the capitalist system which overpopulates the plane and makes conflict inevitable.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The real villain is the capitalist

Truer words were never spoken.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

lol lawyers railing about capitalism.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

Just make sure that they take you to an in-network hospital for your next pancreatitis flare.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The real villain is the capitalist system which overpopulates the plane and makes conflict inevitable.

the real villain is the UST's office which objects to seeking reimbursement for first class tickets

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ulmont posted:

- “don’t be bottom 30%” is something most of us can aspire to.

Speak for yourself dickhead

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

lol lawyers railing about capitalism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I'd have gone with "don't hate the player, hate the game" myself

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Lawyers work hourly, they got as much reason to hate capital as anyone

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Look Sir Droids posted:

At the firm I worked at, I frequently had to use https://www.sharkrepellent.net/ But that's not necessarily legal analytics.

Do you mean more along the lines of stats on judges?

gvibes posted:

Like docketnavigator, for patent cases?

I'm having trouble telling, myself. The folks who asked me to do this are setting up a legal analytics startup using a truly unique dataset, and they've realized they have no real basis for their price setup. I've been asked to identify "similar products" . The example they gave me was fastcase, which appears to be a far more generic legal research company. Some others in my initial list include gavelytics and ktmine.

They want prices from these places too, which is a problem, of course. So far only gavelytics has public pricing information. I'll take a look at the ones you name as well. At this point my plan is to give them as much as possible, so feel free to toss out any names that come to mind.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 30, 2019

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm having trouble telling, myself. The folks who asked me to do this are setting up a legal analytics startup using a truly unique dataset, and they've realized they have no real basis for their price setup. I've been asked to identify "similar products" . The example they gave me was fastcase, which appears to be a far more generic legal research company. The others in my initial list include gavelytics and ktmine.

They want prices from these places too, which is a problem, of course. So far only gavelytics has public pricing information. I'll take a look at these too; at this point my plan is to give them as much as possible and hope it's of use.

Lex Machina doesn’t make pricing public, but their lowest priced service is 15k/year (scaling into 7 digit annual subscriptions for large firms and corporations), no per seat limitation.

Docket Navigator I think makes their prices public, but starts in the range of 90/month for a single seat last I looked.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm having trouble telling, myself. The folks who asked me to do this are setting up a legal analytics startup using a truly unique dataset, and they've realized they have no real basis for their price setup. I've been asked to identify "similar products" . The example they gave me was fastcase, which appears to be a far more generic legal research company. Some others in my initial list include gavelytics and ktmine.

They want prices from these places too, which is a problem, of course. So far only gavelytics has public pricing information. I'll take a look at the ones you name as well. At this point my plan is to give them as much as possible, so feel free to toss out any names that come to mind.

Yeah, most analytics companies aren't going to post pricing. And I suspect they price based on the customer. Lex Machina is probably a good standard bearer in general though. Shark Repellent is transactional. They may post their prices per report. IIRC they range from $100-500 a pop.

More towards general legal research would be Bloomberg Law. They have some analytical materials they acquired when they bought BNA (really good for qui tams). Their pricing isn't public, but it's around $600+ a month per seat with a discount if you are buying a bunch of licenses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't have much experience directly working with such products but they're generating a lot of buzz. I think Ravel is the big one, I've worked cases with attorneys who were using it.

I went to a conference recently on artificial intelligence and the law and here are some of my notes:

• Ravellaw, a new AI-driven natural-language legal search engine similar to Westlaw, allows users (who pay their fees) to do searches for things like “Does [judge name] like sports analogies” or “How often does [Judge Name] approve motions to compel”; “which parties win and lose in front of which judges.”

• Soon *sensor* technology will improve to the point that it will be possible for AI to listen in on a deposition and then tell the deposing attorney things like “80% chance of veracity” or “take a break now and then resume after lunch, 14% increase in chance of successful litigation” – in many cases results-driven AI is getting better at predicting human behavior than humans are (although AI often cannot explain why such rules are the case; it might be able to tell you that breaking for lunch increases odds of success, but not be able to explain why).

• Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services now waives its initial consultation fee if you are willing to go through their entire voicemail script before you show up, because the voicemail script is 99% effective at determining whether or not people have a good case to immigrate, far more effective in fact than a human lawyer. (The prediction was specifically made that within five years, 50% of law firm intake will be AI-driven, and within ten years almost 100%)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ulmont posted:

- “don’t be bottom 30%” is something most of us can aspire to.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Speak for yourself dickhead

Honestly, the people who were bottom 30% of my class? Those people shouldn't be practicing law. Or doing anything more complicated than maybe trash collection.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ulmont posted:

Honestly, the people who were bottom 30% of my class? Those people shouldn't be practicing law. Or doing anything more complicated than maybe trash collection.

The lowest performers in my classes are usually the people putting a lot of things ahead of school. For some, it's jobs and/or their children. For others, it's day drinking and/or naps. The Dunning-Kruger students are pretty rare.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

I don't have much experience directly working with such products but they're generating a lot of buzz. I think Ravel is the big one, I've worked cases with attorneys who were using it.

I went to a conference recently on artificial intelligence and the law and here are some of my notes:

• Ravellaw, a new AI-driven natural-language legal search engine similar to Westlaw, allows users (who pay their fees) to do searches for things like “Does [judge name] like sports analogies” or “How often does [Judge Name] approve motions to compel”; “which parties win and lose in front of which judges.”

• Soon *sensor* technology will improve to the point that it will be possible for AI to listen in on a deposition and then tell the deposing attorney things like “80% chance of veracity” or “take a break now and then resume after lunch, 14% increase in chance of successful litigation” – in many cases results-driven AI is getting better at predicting human behavior than humans are (although AI often cannot explain why such rules are the case; it might be able to tell you that breaking for lunch increases odds of success, but not be able to explain why).

• Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services now waives its initial consultation fee if you are willing to go through their entire voicemail script before you show up, because the voicemail script is 99% effective at determining whether or not people have a good case to immigrate, far more effective in fact than a human lawyer. (The prediction was specifically made that within five years, 50% of law firm intake will be AI-driven, and within ten years almost 100%)

Pretty depressing poo poo and definitely the death of justice.

Once I climb the administrative ranks I'm going to implement ways to gently caress over firms that use AI, starting with the biggest.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

homullus posted:

The lowest performers in my classes are usually the people putting a lot of things ahead of school. For some, it's jobs and/or their children. For others, it's day drinking and/or naps. The Dunning-Kruger students are pretty rare.

But boy will they make themselves heard when it comes time for classroom discussion!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nice piece of fish posted:

Pretty depressing poo poo and definitely the death of justice.

Once I climb the administrative ranks I'm going to implement ways to gently caress over firms that use AI, starting with the biggest.

I think it's pretty much inevitable. The net takeaway from the conference was make partner ASAP because everything associates do is swiftly getting automated.

Interesting ly, it may help with access to justice issues, if nonprofits and legal aid adopt it on a wide scale. Cheap automated legal advice could arm a lot of people against injustice. Won't happen though because the tools will all have huge pricetags due to monopolization.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 30, 2019

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

But boy will they make themselves heard when it comes time for classroom discussion!

Seriously.

I see what you’re going for there but... not quite.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think it's pretty much inevitable. The net takeaway from the conference was make partner ASAP because everything associates do is swiftly getting automated.

Interesting ly, it may help with access to justice issues, if nonprofits and legal aid adopt it on a wide scale. Cheap automated legal advice could arm a lot of people against injustice. Won't happen though because the tools will all have huge pricetags due to monopolization.

i think you'll find that all of the tools will be free, because there will be a clause in them allowing them to sell all your information

the buyers of that information will be your opponent

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I have heard a lot less about doc review automation recently than I was hearing five years ago, and my guess is it hit the same wall a lot of "ai" projects have been hitting. Beyond that, I'm not sure what stuff that associates do that would be automated - and the grunt doc review stuff is already outsourced to contract attorneys instead of associates (and the stuff that associates do in that circumstance isn't automatable yet and I have doubts it will be). What other tasks were going to be automated away in the future?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
No one in this thread will be practicing law by the time AI significantly takes away associate jobs. It will kill LAs and paralegals first.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

No one in this thread will be practicing law by the time AI significantly takes away associate jobs. It will kill LAs and paralegals first.

You're not automating away what a paralegal does anytime soon without an actual robot. Legal assistants got largely automated away by the desktop computer and the remaining tasks are bespoke enough AI isn't gonna do poo poo there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Biglaw Litigation isn’t all of law.