Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

loving hell, is Epic even trying to pretend at this point that their exclusivity doesn't just mean "not on Steam"? Their "exclusive" games are going to be available on all the other platforms, and even on PC on other distribution channels--the only place you can't get the titles that they've scooped is Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah if quake is the game getting 60fps, how's a modern game supposed to use the tech?

I can get 60fps in Battlefield V with RTX on, but only low settings, so many of the best uses of RTX are disabled, and the effects are really not noticed during normal gameplay anyways.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

404notfound posted:

loving hell, is Epic even trying to pretend at this point that their exclusivity doesn't just mean "not on Steam"? Their "exclusive" games are going to be available on all the other platforms, and even on PC on other distribution channels--the only place you can't get the titles that they've scooped is Steam.

Thats all theyve ever cared about tho. Their true exclusives are like an early access roguelite with no console versions in development yet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

404notfound posted:

When Fortnite is no longer a huge deal, this entire system Epic has built is going to collapse and turn to dust.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I said come in! posted:

When Fortnite is no longer a huge deal, this entire system Epic has built is going to collapse and turn to dust.
Nah.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Having "we can do raytracing in real time now!" seems really exciting until you realize devs have spent the last 20 years coming up with ways to fake their way to similar results, and most of them work pretty well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheScott2K posted:

The classic Quake games have been lying real dormant. Other than that wild 1080p version of Q2 that came as a value-add with Quake 4 they've been a non-presence the last two console gens. Maybe they were hoping Champions would get people interested.

Quake II (I think it was 2) got full RTX support for some reason, but yeah, it's pretty dead.

bushisms.txt posted:

Hey Turok devs, congrats on 2 releasing soon. Now when is Rage wars with online multiplayer? I need to grind some raptors

I believe Nightdive only managed to get the source code for Turok 1 and 2 and they used the PC version as the base; Rage Wars and Turok 3 never had PC versions either. I remember them saying they'd love to bring them over but they don't have the source to work with.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Quake II (I think it was 2) got full RTX support for some reason, but yeah, it's pretty dead.

That doesn't even count as a sign-of-life for the franchise really because Bethesda/Id had nothing to do with it.

An independent graphics researcher used the already public Q2 source code to make a proof-of-concept, then Nvidia picked up his code and made a more polished version.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I said come in! posted:

How long would this take though? Even things like Counterstrike still get regular play despite its age. Fornite as a massive user base that'll probably stick with the game for years to come, probably like Minecraft.

They've definitely moved past the point where a feasible "Fortnite" killer could rise up and take its place.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bushisms.txt posted:

Hey Turok devs, congrats on 2 releasing soon. Now when is Rage wars with online multiplayer? I need to grind some raptors
I'm glad that the good Turok game is getting properly remade as well.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How long would this take though? Even things like Counterstrike still get regular play despite its age. Fornite as a massive user base that'll probably stick with the game for years to come, probably like Minecraft.

They've definitely moved past the point where a feasible "Fortnite" killer could rise up and take its place.
The player base for Fortnite is pretty young though, so the determining point is going to be does it collapse once it's no longer the cool thing among The Kids. That's a hard thing to predict, because I remember being a kid super into Pokemon hearing a lot of people saying the same thing, that once the initial frenzy wore off the series would die.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Turok devs when will you port the lovely Game Boy Color Turok. It was the game I got for Christmas when my parents got me a Game Boy Color.

I did not ask for it.

I did not want it.

But I'm asking for it now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, I feel like Fortnite has definitely reached "it will always be big" status.

You never saw athletes miming minecraft steve on the field, you never saw celebrities play counterstrike and Team Fortress 2 wasnt a problem at every single school in the country.

Those are all games that are very old that still see tons of play today and by all accounts are very popular despite their age, but none of them are even close to Fortnites popularity

Fortnite is firmly in "too big to fail unless they massively gently caress it up" territory. Its gonna be a cash cow for a long, long time

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fortnite will be huge until it's not

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fortnight is very flash in the pan. It's growth is unsustainable. People will get over it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Fortnite will eventually regress to call of duty status

That is, it'll still be massively popular, just not literally all-consuming for its genre

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

njsykora posted:

I'm glad that the good Turok game is getting properly remade as well.

Turok 1 was already redone though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Fortnite got that way because they spend enormous energy making the game feel new and adding updates. It was released in 2017 and I still think of it as a new game.

They also don't make the game worse for normal people for the sake of esports.

Part of the lesson here is just how bad and clueless blizzard and valve were/are at maintaining a lead.

Fortnite won't be popular forever and I doubt it will have all that many crzy diehards the way starcraft 2 does when it eventually goes. But nobody is even remotely competing with epic in terms of how seriously they take keeping their game fun rather than retreating to competitive as an excuse for stale gameplay.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TheScott2K posted:

Having "we can do raytracing in real time now!" seems really exciting until you realize devs have spent the last 20 years coming up with ways to fake their way to similar results, and most of them work pretty well.
It's still exciting, but it's more for the impact it will have on the way games are designed and the power that artists and directors have in putting things on the screen than in the graphical fidelity of the puddles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know what ray tracing is but I do know I have never missed it and I don't care about it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

There's a goon here who worked with the team that did the recent turok 1/2 games right?

Question, why didn't you do turok 3?

Also why are the turok games on Xbox and switch but not ps4? Just legitimately curious.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I don't know what ray tracing is but I do know I have never missed it and I don't care about it.

ok

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Seems like it needs a lot of overhead and doesn't make anything look that much better than prerendered lighting and stencil shadows thus far.

"Oh the reflections on that car you're running by at full speed look way better" who loving cares

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

There's a goon here who worked with the team that did the recent turok 1/2 games right?

Also why are the turok games on Xbox and switch but not ps4? Just legitimately curious.

Sony won't let us see those lewd titties on Turok, the bastards.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wonder what Epic would be like right now if PUBG didn't jumpstart Fortnite's fortunes. Fortnite would have puttered out quickly with only its horde mode, no Epic Store, etc.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So numbers-go-up but as a crafting game Forager is out for Switch now. So far seems like a fine port. Its a fun little game but I never played before so who knows how short it is.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Seems like it needs a lot of overhead and doesn't make anything look that much better than prerendered lighting and stencil shadows thus far.

"Oh the reflections on that car you're running by at full speed look way better" who loving cares

Yeah and next-gen console raytracing performance will have to be tightly constrained if the consoles are gonna be affordable. At most I'm expecting maybe a handful of games will showcase raytracing briefly in a carefully orchestrated way.

Tbh I think the promise of full-on raytracing has more payoff for devs and publishers than gamers. Realistic reflections and shadows would be a nice incremental improvement. But being able to light a scene just by tossing some lights and materials around an environment (vs. building bespoke lighting systems and effects) could drastically reduce the amount of labor required to produce a photorealistic AAA game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm living the dream

(excuse the extremely bad lighting)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder what Epic would be like right now if PUBG didn't jumpstart Fortnite's fortunes. Fortnite would have puttered out quickly with only its horde mode, no Epic Store, etc.
They'd probably be doing well at something. No game company has ever taken advantage of some success like fortnite has, it feels like they're the only company that's even trying to win at this. it's like epic is facebook and everyone else is myspace.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 30, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HenryEx posted:

I'm living the dream

(excuse the extremely bad lighting)

See! You can do voice chat on the Switch :v:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Ineffiable posted:

This question implies we for some reason had the opportunity to do Turok3 and chose not to. You don't have enough information to assume that. ;)

Ineffiable posted:

Logistics is the only reason. We have a small team and an in-house engine. Creating support for a new platform, as well as even wrangling the devkits necessary to do the work can be an absolute nightmare for us (especially if the platform owners don't understand how we operate, in that we aren't stationed in any one country or even region) so this stuff has to be done one at a time.
As for the order, it just so happened that id@xbox talked to us first (there was no exclusivity deal there despite what some rumours claim), and then the Switch came out and was super hot. So that kind of picked the order for us.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 30, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just gonna leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFnCWyXyEk

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Turok: Rage Wars ruled, even in spite of the gamebreaking bug where you could never finish the campaign

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I bought Youngblood when I was drunk.

It plays much better than the previous entry, but I played that on Xbox.

Maybe it’s the gyro? I’m much better handheld than docked.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rocket Pan posted:

This question implies we for some reason had the opportunity to do Turok3 and chose not to. You don't have enough information to assume that. ;)

That's not what the post implied. (The teams fault or decision)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

Logistics is the only reason. We have a small team and an in-house engine. Creating support for a new platform, as well as even wrangling the devkits necessary to do the work can be an absolute nightmare for us (especially if the platform owners don't understand how we operate, in that we aren't stationed in any one country or even region) so this stuff has to be done one at a time.
As for the order, it just so happened that id@xbox talked to us first (there was no exclusivity deal there despite what some rumours claim), and then the Switch came out and was super hot. So that kind of picked the order for us.

What did you think of the DF Retro video on Turok? It must have been cool to see them praise your team's work.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rocket Pan posted:

We have a small team and an in-house engine. Creating support for a new platform, as well as even wrangling the devkits necessary to do the work can be an absolute nightmare

How complete was your game when you made your pitch to Nintendo and how much work was exporting your engine to the Switch?

Word on the street is Nintendo is stingy with devkits, especially for no-names like me. I've got a jam game that I'm fleshing out into a full game and while I could wait until the game is basically finished to petition them, I think I'd end up with better results and less time spent porting my engine if I had a devkit while I'm still in development.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

That's not what the post implied. (The teams fault or decision)

What I mean is more there isn't enough information to pose the question. We haven't announced that we aren't doing Turok3, after all. The idea isn't off the table.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

How complete was your game when you made your pitch to Nintendo and how much work was exporting your engine to the Switch?

Word on the street is Nintendo is stingy with devkits, especially for no-names like me. I've got a jam game that I'm fleshing out into a full game and while I could wait until the game is basically finished to petition them, I think I'd end up with better results and less time spent porting my engine if I had a devkit while I'm still in development.

That question is a bit more complicated because we already had Turok1&2 ported and released on the Xbox by that time. So technically the game was already done, but there was no Switch port/code yet.

Detective No. 27 posted:

What did you think of the DF Retro video on Turok? It must have been cool to see them praise your team's work.

Rather neat to see, though we already knew about the video in advance because John Linneman approached us with questions.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 30, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a more realistic physics for light and sound lol j/k its a new switch exclusive rayman art game that youre banned from buying, mr attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I said come in! posted:

The Outer Worlds is the game I am most excited for this year. It's Fallout New Vegas in a completely original science fiction setting.

I'm real loving excited for it, I hope the switch version is good