Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
C'mon, update proper already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Whenever I build automated sweeper facilities I try, if it's not a pain in the rear end, to build some kind of containment with a door then lock everyone out of the thing unless something breaks.

Still haven't come up with a way to do this for farming since dupes have to harvest the mature plant. Works good for most stuff though.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

bird food bathtub posted:

Still haven't come up with a way to do this for farming since dupes have to harvest the mature plant. Works good for most stuff though.

Unless things have changed recently, farm crops will automatically drop their harvest on the ground 3 cycles after maturing. However, the additional farm space and resource consumption is a pretty heavy tax for that convenience.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Looks like the launch did go live today.

Launch trailer and patch notes:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/109710-oxygen-not-included-has-launched-356355/

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Double-posting because the release update is out. Let's suffocate some dupes.

e: f, b

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

It’s exactly the same as the last beta patch, I think.

I’m not noticing any changes.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Ahh, time to start a new colony.

I'll say Suffocatoria is a good name.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Do volcanoes emit gaseous phosphorous now?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

Do volcanoes emit gaseous phosphorous now?

No, but they will melt any phosphorite you have nearby and turn it into liquid -> gaseous phosphorous.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Aw yeah, just got my new state of the art computer built so I can play ONI again, just in time for launch :woop:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I was really hoping for DLC that included a bottle of oxygen shipped to my home

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I played Rime with no lava with all difficulty setting on max and it was entirely too easy because of refineries and liquid tepidizers. I'm gonna try Aridio. I assume a steel thermo aquatuner boiling water is the way to go?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Mercrom posted:

I played Rime with no lava with all difficulty setting on max and it was entirely too easy because of refineries and liquid tepidizers. I'm gonna try Aridio. I assume a steel thermo aquatuner boiling water is the way to go?

That’s basically how you deal with any heat short of venting to space yeah.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Think I've found my first bug. Got 53 kgs of Meal Lice, but nobody's eating it and nobody's cooking it, even though I put priority of grill at 9 and have the cook working at cooking with the only priority. Anyone else seen this?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Samovar posted:

Think I've found my first bug. Got 53 kgs of Meal Lice, but nobody's eating it and nobody's cooking it, even though I put priority of grill at 9 and have the cook working at cooking with the only priority. Anyone else seen this?

It's been a while but isn't lice loaf made at the musher, not the grill?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

It's been a while but isn't lice loaf made at the musher, not the grill?

Pickled meal is done at the grill.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pickled meal must be the most pointless food item. It's only difference is spoilage time, but who the gently caress cares about that when things inside fridges last forever?

I hope they do another review of foods.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Aw yeah, just got my new state of the art computer built so I can play ONI again, just in time for launch :woop:

:hf:

Literally built a 3800X Ryzen with 32GB DDR4 to keep end-game fps high on this stupid adorkable game.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

insta posted:

:hf:

Literally built a 3800X Ryzen with 32GB DDR4 to keep end-game fps high on this stupid adorkable game.

drat I only have a 3600 with 16gb, I seriously am hoping that helps keep things snappy later in the game though.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I went all out ... 5700 XT and the most retardedly fast NVMe SSD I've ever used. My last gaming desktop (i7 2600K w/ GTX 580 [eventually a GTX 980]) lasted me from Skyrim's launch on 11/11/11 until last week.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Yep, upon further examination, there were no changes from the last beta patch. The borked database links are still there. A little disappointing. I was hoping for something to make me want to start a new colony.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Heat mechanics are confusing. Lower heat capacity is better for transferring heat right? And for gases and liquids lower mass is also better?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mercrom posted:

Heat mechanics are confusing. Lower heat capacity is better for transferring heat right? And for gases and liquids lower mass is also better?

Specific heat capacity is about how fast the material's own temperature changes, whereas thermal conductivity is about how well it transfers heat.

I don't know what you mean by "lower mass is also better". Better for what? If you are trying to insulate stuff, then yes, lower gas density is better.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Here's some newbie hints on rolling dupes:

+7 Decorator starter is a godsend. Everyone else should probably be +1 or +3. +3 Research on one dupe preferable. Supplying as an interest is great even on +1/+1/+1 dupes.

Interior Decorator and Gourmet are downsides disguised as upsides.

Everyone in space can hear you fart.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Mercrom posted:

Thermal conductivity is what moves heat from one side of a wall to the other. It is the "heat speed". Heat capacity is how much "hot" you have to put on one side to heat the tile up. It is the "heat inertia".

For insulating things, you really just need to build insulated tiles. Don't worry too much about what material they're built from, they all work pretty well. If you need to REALLY insulate something, then put a layer of normal tiles on the "hot" side of whatever you're insulating, and surround the inside with insulated tiles. Remember, "contain heat" could also mean "contain cold". Using this mechanic you can hold a tank of molten magma in the middle of your base with obsidian insulated tiles surrounded by sedimentary rock tiles for hundreds of cycles without issue. A single wheezewort will easily keep up with any heat leaking through this. The dual-tiles are because ONI internally applies "multipliers" based on what is interacting with what -- solid vs. gas moves heat differently than solid vs. solid, even if the masses are otherwise the same. Definitely don't let dug-out piles sit on your insulated tiles, that heat transfer is all kinds of broken.

But, just as often, you want to move the heat instead of contain it. This is the basis behind radiators, another prominent heat-management aspect. In that case what's most important is carrying a lot of thermal energy, so you want to move gasses/liquids/solids-on-conveyor-rails with the highest heat capacity that you can get, with a "suitably high" thermal conductivity. If your chilling room is 0C, and your coolant is leaving the room at 0C, you've "filled up" the coolant with chill. If this happens in the last 1-2 segments of pipe, that's perfect. If it happens in the first 1-2 segments of pipe, then you are wasting a lot of cooling capacity and need something with a higher specific heat.

The last kind of heat transfer would be on a conductive wall. I build these frequently, a room full of wheezeworts in hydrogen just awkwardly in the middle of the base. In this case you want a low specific heat material with a high thermal conductivity. You don't care what temperature the tiles are, you just want the cold from inside the wheezewort room into the environment. Use tiles of granite/obsidian very-early game, and ASAP move to refined metal. Lead can be mined as refined metal, but has pretty poor thermal conductivity (15 IIRC). Refined gold is the best early-game material with the granulator, with a thermal conductivity of 60 and lowest SHC. Steel is the best pre-space material at 54, unless you have access to aluminum (205!). Thermium is the best overall at 220 (!!).

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
According to the wiki the lowest value of the two objects exchanging heat is what's counted. So isn't high values kinda irrelevant unless you are making chains of stuff to transfer heat?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

insta posted:

For insulating things, you really just need to build insulated tiles. Don't worry too much about what material they're built from, they all work pretty well. If you need to REALLY insulate something, then put a layer of normal tiles on the "hot" side of whatever you're insulating, and surround the inside with insulated tiles.

Nah, if you need to really insulate something (see also: volcano) have two layers of insulated tiles with a layer of vacuum in between.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Mercrom posted:

According to the wiki the lowest value of the two objects exchanging heat is what's counted. So isn't high values kinda irrelevant unless you are making chains of stuff to transfer heat?
With insulated things, yeah. Otherwise it's the average. There's still weird hidden multipliers too.

endlessmonotony posted:

Nah, if you need to really insulate something (see also: volcano) have two layers of insulated tiles with a layer of vacuum in between.

That's a lot harder to build than 2 layers of tile, albeit even more effective. Really though, 2 layers of tile, one insulated and one not, just ... won't ever leak heat in any meaningful way. An insulated gap won't leak heat ever, but this is a 0.001 vs. 0.000 situation.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Here's some newbie hints on rolling dupes:

+7 Decorator starter is a godsend. Everyone else should probably be +1 or +3.
I don't understand this at all. Are decorators useful for anything other than building statues?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mercrom posted:

I don't understand this at all. Are decorators useful for anything other than building statues?

high-quality statues and paintings are very easy ways to boost mood of dupes in an area and that skill takes an incredibly long time to train from 0

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Pickled meal must be the most pointless food item. It's only difference is spoilage time, but who the gently caress cares about that when things inside fridges last forever?

The second benefit to pickled meal is that it is more calorie dense in terms of kcal/kg. So it takes less fridge space. Meal lice has poor calorie density.

I won't say this makes it a worthwhile option, but when I have made it was so it would take less space in the fridge. I haven't done that in a long time mind you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
90% of the time I don't plant meal lice, ever. It's absolutely worth a few cycles of sickness to charge into a cloud of polluted oxygen to get some mushroom spores as soon as you reveal them on the map. I almost always jump from initial survival supplies/muck root right to fried mushrooms. Maybe a few cycles of fried mush bars in between if I fall behind.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

With this game out I guess I have to give it another shot! I've tried a handful of colonies throughout early access and usually fizzle out once poo poo hits the fan and I start losing control. I also generally have no idea how to work the more complex systems like air/water control through vents and pipes and whatnot but, uh, can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs (killing a whole lot of colonists) right?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Play on easy mode if you’re having trouble. It’s less that the game is hard and more that if you make a serious mistake, you’ll only find out fifteen cycles later when it’s almost too late to fix it.

Also what are good food options for mid game other than mushrooms? I don’t want to plant a giant shroom farm because I already did that. But I feel like there aren’t many other options. Bristle berries are pretty water intensive, waterweed requires salt water which is even worse, and sleet wheat is a pain in the rear end. Maybe hatch farming would be a good alternative,

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

President Ark posted:

high-quality statues and paintings are very easy ways to boost mood of dupes in an area and that skill takes an incredibly long time to train from 0

Morale is less of a problem in the early game though, and certainly not so pressing an issue that a 70% boost in artwork creation speed would be better than any of the other skills I could get on a starting dupe.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Learning is still a skill learning boost even if not presented as such so it’s still worth getting a few points learning on everyone. The UI layer over the skill system is all that really changed, and I’m not even sure for the better.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 31, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

nrook posted:

Play on easy mode if you’re having trouble. It’s less that the game is hard and more that if you make a serious mistake, you’ll only find out fifteen cycles later when it’s almost too late to fix it.

Also what are good food options for mid game other than mushrooms? I don’t want to plant a giant shroom farm because I already did that. But I feel like there aren’t many other options. Bristle berries are pretty water intensive, waterweed requires salt water which is even worse, and sleet wheat is a pain in the rear end. Maybe hatch farming would be a good alternative,

Bristle berries are usually my next step after mushrooms, and typically where I stop. You can do end-game morale requirements on stuffed berries pretty easily. They do take a lot of water but eh, few geysers and you'll have plenty.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Triarii posted:

Morale is less of a problem in the early game though, and certainly not so pressing an issue that a 70% boost in artwork creation speed would be better than any of the other skills I could get on a starting dupe.

Oh absolutely.

That’s a complete waste of potential. A +7 researcher, a digger, and honestly, almost anything else is vastly more important than a creator. Those guys always turn up in the press at some point way before cycle 200, when I find morale starts to be a big deal.

If you’re a new player, pleas don’t be throwing one of your initial three guys away by selecting a +7 decorator. Research, a digger, and either another digger or an athletics guy. Those three dupes will give you such a quick early game. After which, you should be in a great position.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 31, 2019

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
I feel like I'm blind, where did they move the job board to? The wiki says it's under employment with the water cooler but I just started a game in the release update and it's not there. I don't see it anywhere else either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's totally gone, and replaced by the "Skills" button at the top. The printing pod seems to do it all now, and you end up setting priorities manually. There is no wrench icon in the priorities anymore.