Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Just realized that I'd buy the poo poo out a Wario Maker DLC pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

:hmmyes:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Then the second one is just a classic level under the guise of 1-1. I've been making a lot of levels with a gimmick here or there so I wanted to do something like... hardcore traditional. There aren't any japes or anything like that involved- it's just a real stage once you get into it. 1-1 has frozen over and Mario has to take a detour to actually clear the stage.

Thank you so much for any plays I get :shobon:

I liked this a lot! It was a clever intro and the actual platforming was solid with a nice sense of place.

How did you do the cave-in collapse thing?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'd buy any DLC pack.

More content Nintendo. Please. I need more.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'm happy that my bouncy boom boom is loving people up, he's had enough of people bouncing on his head exactly three times the moment he becomes vulnerable.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Haven't gotten to a jam level for this week yet, but I finished up a few WIPs.

Piranha Pit
01D-L13-DXG

This is my first real attempt at a level that's mostly about atmosphere. most of this is totally effortless, but the boss fight is (maybe a little too?) tricky without being tedious, I hope.

Sandy Smash
8PX-VTV-L5G

I really like smashers.

Fireball Bash
XRS-BM9-B6G

I really, really like smashers. I may have a problem.

Parapet Pause
8P8-SCK-QKG

This one's tricky platforming, mostly, with a gimmick that lets you look ahead before you try sections.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Here's my Jam level. I hope you all like it and appreciate my artistic genius.

Mario's found a way to supply the Mushroom Kingdom with cheap, affordable mushrooms so everyone can save a little coin. Problem is some parties don't seem very... happy with it and have gone so far as to break into one of his factories! It looks like those utter monsters are intending to smash up the place!
Please, for the sake of everyone's wallet, get in there and defeat the horrible intruders!

Tender Bender posted:

I liked this a lot! It was a clever intro and the actual platforming was solid with a nice sense of place.

How did you do the cave-in collapse thing?

I assume you meant the collapsing floor, All I did for that was create a straight line full of blocks across the ceiling (both ground and hard blocks work) and had the player land on the "top" layer. There's a lit bob-omb out of view that explodes to break the line which lets the camera scroll down and reveal the actual level to jump to. It's a fun trick!

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 30, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't imagine there are many people here that do this, but I really prefer it when people don't just put 3 one-ups at the end of their course. Sure its being "nice" but it makes any work I did to collect coins/find secrets earlier in the stage feel totally pointless.

yeah i mean, don't dump all three one-ups in a tiny little box just before the end, but if you're looking to provide a nice little closer for a stage, save a one-up or coins for a final little challenge. they're both the only meaningful collectible for endless modes.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Tender Bender posted:

So I only played the first one because the servers keep going down. I've got some feedback that I mean well with, but there's a couple things to work on here.

1) There's not really a coherent theme here. It's a bunch of donut blocks, then some Koopas, some fish, some spinies, that are kind of thrown at the player. I think you could've taken the donut concept and some of the enemies and built a sort of repeating or escalating style of challenge out of them. As it is it's just kind of a mess of enemy spam. It's tough, not too tough, but without a coherent point or pattern to what's happening it's hard to get into it.

2) Aesthetically it's just blocks and enemies, which is isn't necessarily a problem, but if your level doesn't have a strong theme in terms of mechanics, the aesthetic can be a draw.

3) You've got rear end in a top hat blocks where the player is going to jump, in multiple places. Those CAN be fun/clever, but it's very hard to do so.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I was rushing a bit to. get them done, and hadn't thought much about the aesthetics. #1 is something that I will definitely try to develop in a level. The kaizo blocks are solely to gently caress with my partner, but I'll tone it down when I develop a better level

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

I feel like a multiplayer trend will start from this. https://twitter.com/ukon0216/status/1155776426282328065?s=19

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think anyone is bothering to make multiplayer designed levels now when they only stay in the queue for like 2 matches.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

This guy on Reddit made a really cool soundboard for enemies hitting note blocks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/cjgs2x/new_updated_mario_maker_2_music_block_soundboard

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

alf_pogs posted:

yeah i mean, don't dump all three one-ups in a tiny little box just before the end, but if you're looking to provide a nice little closer for a stage, save a one-up or coins for a final little challenge. they're both the only meaningful collectible for endless modes.

In my CYOA level I dumped all the 1-Ups at the end, but they're in hidden blocks and even though I felt they were obvious only one streamer has found them. Several even commented that they were disappointed I covered the top of the flagpole and blocked the 1-Up off. Um?

I only dumped them at the end because there's nowhere else to signpost hidden blocks in the level and because of the blocked off flagpole I consider them a "consolation prize."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Schmeichy posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I think I was rushing a bit to. get them done, and hadn't thought much about the aesthetics. #1 is something that I will definitely try to develop in a level. The kaizo blocks are solely to gently caress with my partner, but I'll tone it down when I develop a better level

Np, and for what it's worth I played your other level with the snake blocks before bed and thought that one had a much better structure and flow, with the snakes and the on/off switches.

And yeah all level building etiquette advice goes out the window if you're making levels with/for someone you actually know, I missed that. gently caress with them all you want!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I assume you meant the collapsing floor, All I did for that was create a straight line full of blocks across the ceiling (both ground and hard blocks work) and had the player land on the "top" layer. There's a lit bob-omb out of view that explodes to break the line which lets the camera scroll down and reveal the actual level to jump to. It's a fun trick!

Ohhhh gotcha. I had thought it was triggered by moving to the right. Clever!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This was stressful just to watch, let alone play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjOEnYxw_p8

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This was stressful just to watch, let alone play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjOEnYxw_p8

I watched him do this live and him riding the snake was the absolute best part.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Man I want the Carl vs Poo challenge to happen again. Carl is an evil genius when it comes to psychological trolly bullshit and those levels were his best work. The key death troll in The Biggest Night of My Career is the most evil thing I've ever seen: https://youtu.be/N2_ISdhVohY

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Another level! This time it's back to basics.

World 5-Something
DY5-WQR-KNG

If Mario kept going after hitting 5-4, he might have found this stage. Tried to be pretty authentic.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

This week's jam level is up!

Goombas Working Overtime
Course ID: 66C-MXR-FGF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

Bowser claims that due to lack of funding he is no longer able to afford traps like podoboos, piranha plants, crushers, and roto disks to protect his castle. In these lean times he is forcing the goombas in to work unpaid overtime in order to cover for the lack of these classic fortress elements. He swears that this is the only way to keep his princess captivity business afloat, but is this fair to the goombas?

This week I wanted to get away from doing any sort of high concept gimmick and just focused on a classic left to right traditional level. I did take care to make sure the level could be completed by various players including speed runners and those who never even touch the run button. Target difficulty is normal and there are plenty of power-up refreshes to hopefully help the less skilled players out. Let me know what you think, and keep your eyes peeled because there's a secret that leads to the true ending which you won't want to miss.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I made a level based off of the bomb diffusal level in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES game.

Hudson Bay (TMNT)

Canned Panda posted:

Got some advice in the discord chat, and I tweaked my Hudson Bay level a little bit.

KT2-9C6-FGG

Quick question about checkpoints...

If you die, do you keep your collected coins up to the checkpoint?

If so, I need to add a checkpoint to this level...

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 1, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Canned Panda posted:

I made a level based off of the bomb diffusal level in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES game.

Hudson Bay (TMNT)

Quick question about checkpoints...

If so, I need to add a checkpoint to this level...

Yes, you keep your coins but if you got the key you will lose both it and all the coins so it's important to always have the key door right by the last coin and have either a checkpoint or end the level after the key door.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Canned Panda posted:

Hudson Bay (TMNT)

yep - you keep all the coins you collected before you hit the checkpoint

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

J-Spot posted:

This week's jam level is up!

Goombas Working Overtime
Course ID: 66C-MXR-FGF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

Bowser claims that due to lack of funding he is no longer able to afford traps like podoboos, piranha plants, crushers, and roto disks to protect his castle. In these lean times he is forcing the goombas in to work unpaid overtime in order to cover for the lack of these classic fortress elements. He swears that this is the only way to keep his princess captivity business afloat, but is this fair to the goombas?

This week I wanted to get away from doing any sort of high concept gimmick and just focused on a classic left to right traditional level. I did take care to make sure the level could be completed by various players including speed runners and those who never even touch the run button. Target difficulty is normal and there are plenty of power-up refreshes to hopefully help the less skilled players out. Let me know what you think, and keep your eyes peeled because there's a secret that leads to the true ending which you won't want to miss.

An ending that deserves praise :anarchists:! This was a really fun stage that should be good for a wide variety of players. It also reminded me of the odd behavior when a giant goomba gets split up: before the small goombas finish their arc, they're completely intangible and you phase right through them. I found this out the hard way because they will instantly damage/kill you if you happen to be overlapping them when they land. Not a strike against the stage at all. It just came up during the goomba conga line.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I have to say that the density of leftist thought themed courses we're getting in SMM2 greatly surpasses that of the courses we got in Sept 2015 for SMM. What could possibly the cause of this? :iiam:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I have to say that the density of leftist thought themed courses we're getting in SMM2 greatly surpasses that of the courses we got in Sept 2015 for SMM. What could possibly the cause of this? :iiam:

toadette is kickin down the glass ceiling every day

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Uh oh! Bowser's poorly maintained lava sewers are backing up and flooding his castle's basement. He needs a cheap plumber and he needs one fast. There's no one faster and lower bidding than the Mario Bros. in this latest jam entry:

Boiling Backup
4HJ-7JF-CBG

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I gotta say, a lot of Japanese players have found my mushroom factory level and I'm not sure why. There are so many comments I can't read and I'm curious as to what they say as I have a feeling most of them are calling me a idiot or evil :v:

Also it has a low clear rate. I wonder if it's because the stage is too hard despite the mushrooms or if people are just hitting quit due to it being a autoscroller.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 31, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I gotta say, a lot of Japanese players have found my mushroom factory level and I'm not sure why. There are so many comments I can't read and I'm curious as to what they say as I have a feeling most of them are calling me a idiot or evil :v:

Also it has a low clear rate. I wonder if it's because the stage is too hard despite the mushrooms or if people are just hitting quit due to it being a autoscroller.

I wonder if they can figure out what the level is about from context. I hope so.

I died once immediately before the boss area and twice in the boss area before beating it. Apparently you have a 3.6% clear rate? I guess I'm not that bad at Mario.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't imagine there are many people here that do this, but I really prefer it when people don't just put 3 one-ups at the end of their course. Sure its being "nice" but it makes any work I did to collect coins/find secrets earlier in the stage feel totally pointless.

If I have a level that doesn't even have 100 coins hidden throughout it, I'll try to put a mini secret at the end that has two 50-coins and two mushrooms if you're paying attention or exploring.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

Things like scraping together a single coin to pay for luxuries like food or housing can be more challenging than they appear. Why? Because Mario was born in 1983, which means:

Mario is a Millennial
GJ2-9B5-9XF

I am a world record millennial, ask me anything.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live on twitch in 15 minutes for some more Mario Maker goon levels! Come and join us!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

NofrikinfuN posted:

I am a world record millennial, ask me anything.

I discovered you could do that after I uploaded, but I decided to leave it in. Sometimes, people just get lucky in life and have their coins handed to them. Even millennials.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we are live! I got some random goon levels and the time to play them!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

I discovered you could do that after I uploaded, but I decided to leave it in. Sometimes, people just get lucky in life and have their coins handed to them. Even millennials.

Yeah, lucky. :unsmith:

E: Some random dude got your level and sniped my record and I had to reclaim it. Story of my life.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 31, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Made it on the Popular tab again, someone said they say my level debut at #2 worldwide! It's fallen super fast though so I missed seeing that. Guess who has her Fried Chicken hat finally though!

I'm not sure if I'm going to do this week's Jam. I'm not really feeling it. I have a level in mind but I really want to keep improving my output and I don't think what I was doing was good enough. I'm trying not to poo poo out levels as much now that my Maker Points are getting harder to maintain.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

finally got to the silent hill level and the comment i left on it turned out really well

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

And we are live! I got some random goon levels and the time to play them!

good fun stream! sorry i bailed out, work intruding on the hours i am paid to do work. how rude

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Great stream but had to bail right before the end because my toddler decided midnight is time to party. And by party she just wanted water.

Thanks for everything!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DalaranJ posted:

I wonder if they can figure out what the level is about from context. I hope so.

I died once immediately before the boss area and twice in the boss area before beating it. Apparently you have a 3.6% clear rate? I guess I'm not that bad at Mario.

Congrats, you're a real gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're done! Thanks for everyone for joining me, and no worries Alf_pogs and Spiffster, I'm glad you all were able to join us.

Link to the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/460339626

Levels played tonight:

#840 Pecan Sandy Dunes
By: Nate RFB 0J3-N41-NWG

#185 Beyond Thunderdune
By: Chronojam H2L-HP8-QQF

#690 Another Day on the Job (Jame entry week 2)
By: Mega64 6C7-BMW-XQF

#615 Conveyor Belt Climb (Blitz - personal)
By: Gropemotron V5F-F3N-YXF

#73 Mountain Cave Adventure
By: Ignite Memories 3GM-C3K-C0G

#218 Kick Off Into Space!
By: nrook FWW-TWM-3TF

#797 Bowser's Factory (Jam week 2)
By: dbhjed 23N-JJQ-Q5G

#473 Sen's Fortress
By: Tykero ONK-XFH-CHG

#781 SMV 3-1 Koopa Beach II
By: DarkLich LWB-HGY-Y1H

#258 Swamp Romp