Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Durgod Taurus is back up on massdrop.
Sorry, not sorry. I will never call it Drop. The rebrand is terrible.

Anywho it's probably the best keyboard you can get for $100

https://drop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-310-nebula-rgb-mechanical-keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Durgod Taurus is back up on massdrop.
Sorry, not sorry. I will never call it Drop. The rebrand is terrible.

Anywho it's probably the best keyboard you can get for $100

https://drop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-310-nebula-rgb-mechanical-keyboard

When they rebranded and started advertising on Instagram I saw an ad and just assumed it was some Ukranian company ripping off massdrop. Also have their keycap prices increased lately? I remember it being cheaper a few years ago when I actually bought stuff off them.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

quote:

Also have their keycap prices increased lately? I remember it being cheaper a few years ago when I actually bought stuff off them.

They are trying to position themselves as a store that sells highly exclusive luxuary items instead of a large volume discounter and have adjusted their prices accordingly.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 27, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Null of Undefined posted:

When they rebranded and started advertising on Instagram I saw an ad and just assumed it was some Ukranian company ripping off massdrop. Also have their keycap prices increased lately? I remember it being cheaper a few years ago when I actually bought stuff off them.

They're moving away from the group buy model and towards an online storefront model. It kind of sucks.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're moving away from the group buy model and towards an online storefront model. It kind of sucks.

I don't know if you can even call it a storefront if you can't look at things without registering/logging in, etc. Also lmao at naming a luxury brand "Drop" since it sounds like scratch-and-dent merchandise that fell off the back of a truck.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

AgentCow007 posted:

I don't know if you can even call it a storefront if you can't look at things without registering/logging in, etc. Also lmao at naming a luxury brand "Drop" since it sounds like scratch-and-dent merchandise that fell off the back of a truck.

That's a pretty baffling business model, forcing people to register before showing them what you sell. Can't imagine they're going to find much success with that one.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lambert posted:

That's a pretty baffling business model, forcing people to register before showing them what you sell. Can't imagine they're going to find much success with that one.

It may be a conscious choice. I mean it forces potential customers to jump over some hoops before first contact. That probably filters out casual customers, and lowers the threshold for future engagement. They really look like a weird male internet consumer cult.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Lord Stimperor posted:

It may be a conscious choice. I mean it forces potential customers to jump over some hoops before first contact. That probably filters out casual customers, and lowers the threshold for future engagement. They really look like a weird male internet consumer cult.
Considering they have a category for "everyday carry", yeah.

I mean, they have interesting headphones as well (I can def recommend those AKG K7XXs) and will probably keep doing custom keyboard stuff, but they've gone right away from the original model of pooling a bunch of orders to buy stuff in bulk to get it cheaper.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I have a great business idea, let's compete with Amazon, only with higher prices, spectacularly slower shipping, and let's also not show any filthy casuals what we sell so our members can feel like cool insiders.

It can't miss! We're gonna drown in VC money!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lord Stimperor posted:

Sounds like an amazing model for never getting any customers willing to engage with you in the first place.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have a great business idea, let's compete with Amazon, only with higher prices, spectacularly slower shipping, and let's also not show any filthy casuals what we sell so our members can feel like cool insiders.

It can't miss! We're gonna drown in VC money!

This but unironically. It’s a stupid business model. But it’s also exploitative. VCs will fund a lot of stupid to get in on the ground floor of exploitative.

“Amazon, but only for a small group of committed fanatics with persistent identities.” High engagement and good metrics. I think a VC just broke into my house and left $300 on my dining room table when I said that.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lambert posted:

Sounds like an amazing model for never getting any customers willing to engage with you in the first place.

The central idea to it is cognitive dissonance, and it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The idea is that if people have to jump through X hoops, what they receive is much more valuable and special to them than if they didn't have to jump through these hoops.

That's very similar to some products being perceived as valuable because they're... Expensive. It's ~exclusive~.

Drop might be onto some very profitable business there. Their demographic is only getting wealthier over the next decades.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I only signed up because they used to have good prices. I’m happy with Maxkey churning out decent sets at half the price of SP these days.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

New Rama Works Pre-order, a 60% keyboard called THERMAL for $360:

https://ramaworks.store/products/foundry-thermal?variant=16813687275563

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcyU2Hz01lE

Khorne
May 1, 2002
My GK707 with box browns came in. Space bar was 10x louder than any mechanical key I've ever heard, backspace pretty loud too, but putting orings under the key cap at the stabilizers fixed them both.

Box browns feel pretty good. It's a little weird to me that they don't just give out like the mx browns do, but they're solid.

Does anyone have a preference for getting orings to work with them? That's my main complaint right now. I forgot how loud mechanical keyboards are without orings. I can hear it super loud through closed headphones. I found a post on r/mechanical keyboards that says to just buy smaller ones and stuff them into the cap. Is that actually going to work well or should I just order different switches like I had planned?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 30, 2019

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Khorne posted:

Does anyone have a preference for getting orings to work with them?

There's this wacky method of putting small 4mm O-rings inside the switch housing. Here are the exact kind I used: https://smile.amazon.com/uxcell-4mmx1mm-Nitrile-Resistant-Grommets/dp/B01MTNJ7FI

I found it worth it, but be forewarned that it is going to be tedious. I recommend some way of sorting all the parts of each disassembled switch so you don't lose any, and using some kind of curved tweezers.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 30, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

There's this wacky method of putting small 4mm O-rings inside the switch housing. Here are the exact kind I used: https://smile.amazon.com/uxcell-4mmx1mm-Nitrile-Resistant-Grommets/dp/B01MTNJ7FI

I found it worth it, but be forewarned that it is going to be tedious. I recommend some way of sorting all the parts of each disassembled switch so you don't lose any, and using some kind of curved tweezers.
I didn't even have the patience to do all the keys the normal way. I did the letters + space + shift + enter over the course of almost two weeks.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Seems like it'd be much simpler just to buy silent browns/aliaz/zilents or something.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 30, 2019

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Yeah, I ended up just getting Zilents after a couple years of silencing many BOX style switches :shobon:

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
folks:

I want a new split keyboard. I've assembled an ergodox infinity and used freestyle2s before. The ergodox layout is annoying but I loving loved having opensource firmware that i can flash and customize poo poo on. Otherwise, i enjoy the mostly standard qwerty + addon layout that the freestyle2 has.

I have looked and haven't found anything that meets that criteria. Is anyone aware of a split qwerty keyboard /with/ f keys that uses qmk/tmk? Ideally it'd have:

- qwerty layout + side keys (on the left preferred)
- qmk/tmk support
- replaceable switches
- independent keyboard halves

But to be honest I think i'd take any split qwerty that has qmk/tmk support + f keys.

Has anyone run across something like this or am i pretty firmly in the 'build it yourself, rear end in a top hat' zone?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ortholinear or row staggered keys? If ortho is good, then next question is columnar staggered or matrix. You can pretty much find any config for ortho split boards. Check out the Iris 3 for eg.

... unless you have a very hard requirement for the function keys. Since you'll be getting QMK, it's easy to double up the number keys as function keys.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Jowj posted:

Is anyone aware of a split qwerty keyboard /with/ f keys that uses qmk/tmk? Ideally it'd have:

- qwerty layout + side keys (on the left preferred)
- qmk/tmk support
- replaceable switches
- independent keyboard halves

But to be honest I think i'd take any split qwerty that has qmk/tmk support + f keys.

Has anyone run across something like this or am i pretty firmly in the 'build it yourself, rear end in a top hat' zone?

I haven't followed split keyboard development for a bit, but the closest I could find that wasn't a personal one-off was the VE.A, which I am not sure is being manufactured anymore. Also, it supports bootMapperClient only, so no QMK/TMK there.

This guy built himself a split 75% keyboard running QMK that just about looks perfect for you. Maybe you can reach out to him about it. He's a fairly well-known contributor to the keyboard community. It looks like you might be able to pick up the PCB, and then you can use Mill-Max sockets to make it hotswap.

I think most split keyboards are ergonomics focused, and the keyboard community seems to have all agreed that F-keys are too far away to be ergonomic or something, so those are rare.

Soapbox time: One thing I hate about almost every split keyboard is that they put the number-row 6 on the left-hand section. It belongs with the right hand! This is the hill of keycaps I die on.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

v1ld posted:

Ortholinear or row staggered keys? If ortho is good, then next question is columnar staggered or matrix. You can pretty much find any config for ortho split boards. Check out the Iris 3 for eg.

... unless you have a very hard requirement for the function keys. Since you'll be getting QMK, it's easy to double up the number keys as function keys.

Iris doesn’t have f keys though. Ortholinear options are Nyquist but that’s 5x6, and Viterbi is 5x7 so those also lack f keys.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

v1ld posted:

Oh sorry, I'm looking for the standard qwerty layout, which I assumed implied staggered. I was wrong, my bad! I'm looking for staggered. The ortho layout is /fine/ and i've used it for daily work at home, but i'd really like to have my layouts match up more. Hence, typical/staggered.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I haven't followed split keyboard development for a bit, but the closest I could find that wasn't a personal one-off was the VE.A, which I am not sure is being manufactured anymore. Also, it supports bootMapperClient only, so no QMK/TMK there.

This guy built himself a split 75% keyboard running QMK that just about looks perfect for you. Maybe you can reach out to him about it. He's a fairly well-known contributor to the keyboard community. It looks like you might be able to pick up the PCB, and then you can use Mill-Max sockets to make it hotswap.

I think most split keyboards are ergonomics focused, and the keyboard community seems to have all agreed that F-keys are too far away to be ergonomic or something, so those are rare.

Soapbox time: One thing I hate about almost every split keyboard is that they put the number-row 6 on the left-hand section. It belongs with the right hand! This is the hill of keycaps I die on.

Whoa that guy's build seems /great/. I'll reach out to him, he's got a reddit account apparently.

Yeah, split boards seem to be optimized for ergo and fkeys are verboten in ergo layouts usually. But i've found I like them quite a bit. I also really hate the way that non-fkey-having boards place esc.

SOAPBOX: i have a different niche opinion, and that is that the 6 key should be on /both/ sides!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Jowj posted:

SOAPBOX: i have a different niche opinion, and that is that the 6 key should be on /both/ sides!

Counter-opinion: The 6 key belongs in the numpad, number rows are a crutch for people who think you need to eject the real numerical input method to have a small board.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
What are the best ~65% boards (with arrow keys)? Would like back-lighting of some sort.

I see this coming out soon, and it looks really great. Anything similar out right now?

https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Ducky-One2-SF

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What are the best ~65% boards (with arrow keys)? Would like back-lighting of some sort.

I see this coming out soon, and it looks really great. Anything similar out right now?

https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Ducky-One2-SF

I love the Tada68. It has backlighting (not rgb) but you would have to get some shine through keycaps to take full advantage of it.

https://kbdfans.com/products/tada68-mechanical-keyboard-gateron-swtich-65-layout-dye-sub-keycaps-cherry-profils

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Exit Strategy posted:

Counter-opinion: The 6 key belongs in the numpad, number rows are a crutch for people who think you need to eject the real numerical input method to have a small board.

Amen sibling. 100% or bust

In other news, I've had my first mechanical keyboard (GMMK with Gateron Blacks and aura keycaps) for about a week and a half now and I love it.
We use Apple Magic Keyboards at work and it's just no comparison at all.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

CRAYON posted:

I love the Tada68. It has backlighting (not rgb) but you would have to get some shine through keycaps to take full advantage of it.

https://kbdfans.com/products/tada68-mechanical-keyboard-gateron-swtich-65-layout-dye-sub-keycaps-cherry-profils

Seconding this, dollar for dollar it's impossible to beat the Tada68. Comes with great keycaps and you can have it built with any switches you want.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Serperoth posted:

Amen sibling. 100% or bust

In other news, I've had my first mechanical keyboard (GMMK with Gateron Blacks and aura keycaps) for about a week and a half now and I love it.
We use Apple Magic Keyboards at work and it's just no comparison at all.

Gotta have that numpad for maximum roguelike gaming

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Look at this scrub not using hjkl for movement in tyool 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Chernobyl board

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do all y'all numpadless people never type numbers? Using the number row is painful for anything more than 1 or 2 digits.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ItBreathes posted:

Do all y'all numpadless people never type numbers? Using the number row is painful for anything more than 1 or 2 digits.

Shrug. Been a touch typist for forty years, never need to type in anything longer than a VIN. If I were doing a lot of numeric data entry, it might matter, but I don't.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Software engineer/gamer here, basically only do serious numeric work when I have a spreadsheet for tabletop gaming to set up. I use a TKL at home and a 60% at work, zero problem.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I use a TKL at home and I do miss the numpad when I need to enter my credit card number or do some basic math on the calculator, but it's worth it for the extra space to move my mouse when playing games + the ability to keep my mouse closer to home row when I'm doing general stuff

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

I bought a velocifire wireless numpad to have it for when I need it with a 60% keyboard at home. $20 to have something I can shover under a shelf on my desk or put on the left side of the keyboard with no wire getting in the way is worth the price.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I bought a velocifire wireless numpad to have it for when I need it with a 60% keyboard at home. $20 to have something I can shover under a shelf on my desk or put on the left side of the keyboard with no wire getting in the way is worth the price.

Does that send real numpad codes?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a tkl then I realized I need a numpad for work but it screws up my kvm so I got a ikbc mf108 and I love it so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Jowj posted:

I can get behind this. You could program the extra 6 key to do something else, too!

Exit Strategy posted:

I've learned to touch-type the number row pretty decently, but it is a real pain in the rear end to type IP addresses :(