Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Can only the classes who explicitly say they use magic in their description use magic? I trained Edelgard's Reason because it's her hidden potential and I thought it would be cool for her to have a ranged option but she can't cast anything as a Brigand even though she's already learned some spells. Seems weird that any class could use a bow but only the mage classes can do magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ojetor posted:

Can only the classes who explicitly say they use magic in their description use magic?

yep

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

As far as I know you actually can recruit Hilda in Black Eagles, but only in February right before the big plot shift

Ah okay, that explains that I guess.
It just seems so weird that she works differently like that for me but not for the blue lions.

Ojetor posted:

Can only the classes who explicitly say they use magic in their description use magic? I trained Edelgard's Reason because it's her hidden potential and I thought it would be cool for her to have a ranged option but she can't cast anything as a Brigand even though she's already learned some spells. Seems weird that any class could use a bow but only the mage classes can do magic.

Yea only magic classes can cast black magic. It tells you this in a tutorial message but tbh I dunno why it does this lock out, nothing else works that way.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Also that Heron Cup or whatever it is dance tournament is not at all guaranteed... My beautiful Ashe not only managed to lose, but lost to Raphael of all people. Can't even be mad, best of luck to that doofus in his future dancing career, but... still. (Ashe was 16 Cha but in retrospect maybe choosing him was not a great idea when there's a story event like two days later where he begs anyone to teach him to dance... ungrateful bastard)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

psy_wombats posted:

Also that Heron Cup or whatever it is dance tournament is not at all guaranteed... My beautiful Ashe not only managed to lose, but lost to Raphael of all people. Can't even be mad, best of luck to that doofus in his future dancing career, but... still. (Ashe was 16 Cha but in retrospect maybe choosing him was not a great idea when there's a story event like two days later where he begs anyone to teach him to dance... ungrateful bastard)

Manuela should tell you how much Cha you need but I get an impression that only women can win it? I think dancer might be woman only.
It's a bit poo poo how many classes are gender locked, why can't you be a brawler and a woman, it's bollocks.

Here's another question - why do some story gifts like the tactics guide or the fish stay in your inventory forever?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Help, I can't decide whether to marry Amazing Person Waifu Dorothea or Tragic Hero Waifu Edelgard.

I'm planning on (route spoiler) siding with Edelgard and dismantling the chains of theism.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Taear posted:

Manuela should tell you how much Cha you need but I get an impression that only women can win it? I think dancer might be woman only.
It's a bit poo poo how many classes are gender locked, why can't you be a brawler and a woman, it's bollocks.

Here's another question - why do some story gifts like the tactics guide or the fish stay in your inventory forever?

Dudes can definitely win the dance tournament and be Dancers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zore posted:

Dudes can definitely win the dance tournament and be Dancers.

Weird then that 16 wouldn't be enough, Manuela told me 13 was enough and my partner had the same - it doesn't seem randomised

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Taear posted:

Yeah Manuela said 13 so maybe it was just unlucky. You mean only player-controlled women can win? Because it was definitely npc Raphael taking home the prize (and Dorothea zero votes? I don't even know)

I seem to remember screenshots of someone actually turning Raphael into a dancer though so maybe that's just canon.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Tae posted:

There are 17 people from Intsys. Presumably, that's where all the writing is. You don't need that many writing staff.

Nope, there were three writers and they were all from K-T. They all worked on FE Warriors, too.

The interview says that aside from management staff, the only people from IntSys were a music composer, a technical advisor and a bunch of artists.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Edelgard C/C+ spoiler So when I heard the story of how all her siblings had died I initially thought that it was because there was something funky about their crest that was causing it to kill those unlucky enough to properly inherit it. Finding out that they all died in hosed up experiments was a being what the gently caress moment for me.

Also as a general note, gently caress the Death Knight and his stupidly high crit chance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Death Knight, at least on the second encounter, send like he wouldn't be too bad on Casual. You could rush him down at the end of the map with little issue as long as you have something with bonus damage to him.

On Classic, though, I have no idea how you'd ever fight him there unless you're willing to lose units for that Dark Seal. I'm playing Classic so I took one look at that crit chance and immediately choose the other map objective and left him alone.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

The Death Knight, at least on the second encounter, send like he wouldn't be too bad on Casual. You could rush him down at the end of the map with little issue as long as you have something with bonus damage to him.

On Classic, though, I have no idea how you'd ever fight him there unless you're willing to lose units for that Dark Seal. I'm playing Classic so I took one look at that crit chance and immediately choose the other map objective and left him alone.

You just stock up on divine pulse charges and rewind if he crits. You should have several units who can handle a non-crit.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
My Felix is turning out crap. Two of his first levels were HP + Attack and HP + Speed. I’m waiting for this god unit to appear but I’m not sure that he is?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

On the second encounter I OHKOed him with Sylvain's prf + Knightkeeler

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
In addition to my early waifu-related question, how do you make someone a Dark Bishop?

I have the 1 Dark Seal from killing defeating the Death Knight in his 3rd appearance, and I can make Hubert a Dark Priest or whatever the lower tier Dark Bishop is called, but I figured I'd skip that and plan for him to go directly to D. Bishop, except it isn't even showing up on his class list?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You just stock up on divine pulse charges and rewind if he crits. You should have several units who can handle a non-crit.

See, for some reason I assumed that hit/crit rolls were seeded so if I rewound and did the same thing it'd have the same result. I shouldn't have assumed.

I'm hoping there are more chances for Dark Seals eventually.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Harrow posted:

Yea anyone with an axe can kill him pretty easily and I've never had an issue beating him each time.
On Casual though, so I guess it makes me more willing to take the risk even though it's paid off

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This was a fun and embarrassing way to learn my units suck :negative:

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Sorry if this has been asked one thousand times, but I still haven't been able to determine if poaching Hilda is M!Byleth locked yet or not, does anyone in here know for sure?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

LightningSquid posted:

Sorry if this has been asked one thousand times, but I still haven't been able to determine if poaching Hilda is M!Byleth locked yet or not, does anyone in here know for sure?

Blue Lion female can definitely take Hilda!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ferdinand is such a loving dweeb, I love him.

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.

Taear posted:

Weird then that 16 wouldn't be enough, Manuela told me 13 was enough and my partner had the same - it doesn't seem randomised

Playable male characters can absolutely be dancers: https://imgur.com/a/xRfXOMB

It seems to be a stat check with some degree of RNG? Like, the higher your unit's Cha is above 13, the higher their chances of winning. Manuela told me 13 too, but my choice has failed every single attempt so far because his Cha is literally 13 (since I stupidly forgot to feed him a stat booster in time) so I got to watch as everyone else from Felix to Lorenz to Hilda win in all my savescumming attempts. :(

chlorophylls fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 30, 2019

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I think I screwed myself out of the Dancer class :negative:

EDIT: I know it is petty but I’m solidifying my distaste for Ignatz. Even though it’s entirely my fault.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 30, 2019

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ashe is theoretically my best archer with a B+ rank in bows, but he can't quite win the advanced bow tournament.

I entered in Sylvain, who has never held a bow in his life, but because he got to keep wearing his fortress knight armor, he breezed right through it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

chlorophylls posted:

Playable male characters can absolutely be dancers: https://imgur.com/a/xRfXOMB

Are those unique dancer costumes? Neat.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Is there a cavalry magic class? Classes? I'm at a point where I can only intermediate seal now, but looking at the the third tier of classes it doesn't seem like it. I can't see the 4th tier of classes in my game now.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

jimmydalad posted:

I think I screwed myself out of the Dancer class :negative:

It's fine, I've only used the dancer once after getting it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've found just having high stats in Str/Dex/Def matter way more than actual weapon skills in the tournament, since it's just trading blows until someone dies.

Harrow posted:

This was a fun and embarrassing way to learn my units suck :negative:

Chipping him down with gambits (which can't be countered) into range of a Knightkneeler hit is how I managed to take him down.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fritzler posted:

Is there a cavalry magic class? Classes? I'm at a point where I can only intermediate seal now, but looking at the the third tier of classes it doesn't seem like it. I can't see the 4th tier of classes in my game now.

Yeah, 4th tier has Holy Knight and Dark Knight. They need C Lances, A Riding and B+ in Faith or Reason respectively.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Chipping him down with gambits (which can't be countered) into range of a Knightkneeler hit is how I managed to take him down.

Yeah, that's what I should've done. I considered it but ended up chickening out. I'm still not used to having Divine Pulse as an option, too.

Oh well. I'll just hope there are more Dark Seals in the relatively near future. I probably don't need one for a good while anyway. It's not like Lysithea can be a Dark Mage anyway :argh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
everybody got super hot over the timeskip wow

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zore posted:

Yeah, 4th tier has Holy Knight and Dark Knight. They need C Lances, A Riding and B+ in Faith or Reason respectively.

In one of the class menus you can actually see the Master ones well before you're meant to.
It's in the commission screen somewhere but I can't check now because I can see them normally.

Which is good since really you do need to plan ahead (why are so many mounted?!)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

everybody got super hot over the timeskip wow

Timeskip world is a very scary place. And a very hot place.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

McTimmy posted:

Timeskip world is a very scary place. And a very hot place.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses: I Want to Marry Everyone

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Leonie is so loving OP

she rules

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Doc V posted:

Nope, there were three writers and they were all from K-T. They all worked on FE Warriors, too.

The interview says that aside from management staff, the only people from IntSys were a music composer, a technical advisor and a bunch of artists.

Well they did a very good job writing these characters and intsys should raise their needed skills so as to poach them for future endeavors so that one day they, too, can make a fire emblem game

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Why sometimes do people attack two or three times?

Like with a bow Byleth does it a lot, doesn't come up for other bow users as much.

Or double cast spells or etc, just sometimes. Is it like a special type of crit? I feel the game hasn't really told me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Taear posted:

Like with a bow Byleth does it a lot, doesn't come up for other bow users as much.

Or double cast spells or etc, just sometimes. Is it like a special type of crit? I feel the game hasn't really told me

You attack twice when your effective speed (listed as "AS" in menus) exceeds the enemy's by 4 or more. It should display as a x2 on the attack preview. The formula is something like speed + atk/5 - weapon weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Taear posted:

I think it's a crest effect, I've seen Bernie do it a fair amount. She'll hit, her crest activates, she hits again, then gets hit, then her follow up attack occurs

Though, I thought that Byleth's crest effect was just nosferatu

e: Oh you meant to usual speed based doubling, what cheetah said is correct