Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

couldcareless posted:

What annoys me the most about this bizarre quote is I can just hear the voice in my head saying "it doesn't doooo anything" with that weird emphasis. This must be some strange Mandela effect tangent.

It honestly sounds like something that would be said in Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The fact that it's in a user signature means he's just quoting it from somewhere else. I vote on it being from a Simpsons episode.

Are the SNPP transcripts still up?

The search function isn't robust but Frinkiac rules for being a searchable screencap/GIF engine of the first 17 seasons.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

couldcareless posted:

What annoys me the most about this bizarre quote is I can just hear the voice in my head saying "it doesn't doooo anything" with that weird emphasis. This must be some strange Mandela effect tangent.

The old HHGTG radio play. Arthur goes "But what does it *do*?" and Zaphod replies "it doesn't *do* anything! That's the beauty of it!" But I can't remember the exact episode...

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I so want that to be right but nothing close comes up in a quick scan of the radio scripts in Google books

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like it must be from a video game or something. I saw online said it sounds like a Danny DeVito line which would also make sense. What a thrill.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JazzmasterCurious posted:

The old HHGTG radio play. Arthur goes "But what does it *do*?" and Zaphod replies "it doesn't *do* anything! That's the beauty of it!" But I can't remember the exact episode...

You are incorrect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah given this has been an internet hunt for at least a decade now, anything big like Simpsons or HH would’ve been worked out within a few days.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also think it might’ve came from a commercial for a movie that was edited that way for the commercial as a joke and that’s why it doesn’t “exist”.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

There's no way there's not dozens of people who would be able to tell you from memory what episode any dialog happened from the first 12 seasons and then you would have to do the hard work of watching a good Simpson's episode for 22 minutes so you could make a video clip of it.

For sure, the Simpsons Shitposting account wouldn't even make sense without assumed encyclopedic knowledge of one-off jokes from random episodes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody watched High Life? Any good? Was thinking about renting it tonight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Empress Brosephine posted:

I also think it might’ve came from a commercial for a movie that was edited that way for the commercial as a joke and that’s why it doesn’t “exist”.

I always hate that part of Batman Forever when Batman crashes through the skylight and Riddler goes to Two-Face "your entrance was good..." then Batman lands and flips over the heads of the assembled henchmen and Riddler continues "...his was better." Or at least that's how it went in the trailer. In the movie he says it all uninterrupted but having that beat in the middle really makes the line.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 27, 2019

nowwhat
Jan 10, 2015

couldcareless posted:

Did you look at ONE YEAR LATER's link?

The wording is off, but Burgess Meredith's mannerisms and shocked' Doo?' convinced me that this is the best hit for the source

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's gotta be from a commercial or something else ephemeral to be so widely-recognized but impossible to find. For what it's worth, when I picture it in my head, I hear a snotty kid saying it, like Mouse from The Matrix.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Red Ryder posted:

Can I watch Through the Olive Trees without having seen the rest of the director's trilogy or will it not be as meaningful? I recently rewatched Mark Cousins' The Story of Film series and am really interested into getting into 90's Iranian movies. If someone has a better suggestion for a movie to dip my toes into that scene with, let me know.

Probably too late, but I watched Through the Olive Trees first, not knowing it was part of a trilogy, and found it a very rewarding experience. It very much stands on its own, even if certain scenes are enhanced by knowing what came before.

That said, I'd recommend the first part of the Koker trilogy, Where Is My Friend's Home, as entry point. It's a very accessible story that hides a lot of nuances and reveals quite a bit about Iranian society, while still remaining universal in its message. Easily one of the best films about childhood out there.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Watches Ip Man for the first time. Why is the movie so well regarded? The acting is terrible, the plot is nonsensical, anything that wasn't a fight seen was cringe inducing. Do people just love the action and give everything else a pass?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

What, you didn’t like how it ended like a glorious Chinese propaganda movie?!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't think Ip Man is particularly well-regarded. It has its moments and Donnie Yen obviously receives a lot of praise for his skills, but you don't hear people mention it in the same breath as genre classics like The 36th Chamber of the Shaolin or Drunken Master II.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You might've been hearing about the classier wong kar-wai version called the grandmaster

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I thought I had hear a bunch of goons speak positively about the movie. The IMDB and Rotten Tomato scores are also insanely high for the movie. I know those can be skewed but I seriously would've expected it to have like 5/10 stars instead of 8/10 on IMDB. It was so bad.

Mierenneuker posted:

What, you didn’t like how it ended like a glorious Chinese propaganda movie?!

I like how the actual historical person was a policeman that didn't fight the Japanese in a martial arts tournament and in fact fled to Hong Kong to escape the Communists.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Master Z is pretty cool tho

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have got the impression that 2005's The Weather Man is not particularly well regarded these days. Why is that? What's wrong with it? Maybe this is just some online cranks I was reading or something.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I don't think it was particularly well liked in 2005 either.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
I loved it when it came out but haven’t watched it in 12+ years. Kinda curious how it holds up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Weather Man's underrated as heck.

edit: Matchstick Men too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 30, 2019

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Weather Man was great. Dunno how it holds up. I’m guessing it’s because people think Nic Cage is only enjoyable ironically. Bad Lieutenant 2 PoCNO is incredible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Matchstick Men is fantastic

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Anybody watched High Life? Any good? Was thinking about renting it tonight.

I don't think this ever got a response: yes, it's quite good, if you're in the mood for an artsy movie about a convict sex spaceship. I hope you rented it and enjoyed it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I remember a handful of folks vouching for Weather Man at the time, but the general public seemed to regard it with a big ol' "eh."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I remember a handful of folks vouching for Weather Man at the time, but the general public seemed to regard it with a big ol' "eh."

It was the year after the success of National Treasure(people forget how that movie was actually a big hit), and so that along with Cage's previous reputation as an action blockbuster guy I think led people to be disappointed when he followed that up with Lord of War and then The Weatherman.

Cage actually kept his A-list status going for longer than people usually remember. He had a terrible year in 2006 but then Ghost Rider did ok and the National Treasure sequel made close to 500 million(!). Then in 2010 he was mostly praised for his performance in Kick rear end, so really it wasn't until this decade that he ended up forced into taking bad projects due to his financial situation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

weather man is one of the examples used in the documentary cleanflix to show how the mormons edit a scene.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

weather man is one of the examples used in the documentary cleanflix to show how the mormons edit a scene.

I'm trying to remember what mormons would find offensive in that movie beside people saying "poo poo" or "drat" occasionally. The talk about camel toe I guess?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Skwirl posted:

I'm trying to remember what mormons would find offensive in that movie beside people saying "poo poo" or "drat" occasionally. The talk about camel toe I guess?

I have no idea. There was a comparison in the same documentary of the Big Lebowski and Tara Reid had been completely cut out of a scene, so all the characters are just standing around talking to nobody.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Almost Blue posted:

I have no idea. There was a comparison in the same documentary of the Big Lebowski and Tara Reid had been completely cut out of a scene, so all the characters are just standing around talking to nobody.

Was it the scene where she's wearing a bathing suit?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Probably. It's been a while since I watched that documentary, but bikini = sex sounds about right. I was more surprised at how the guy who edited the movies claimed there was no way anybody would be able to tell something had been cut out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Probably. It's been a while since I watched that documentary, but bikini = sex sounds about right. I was more surprised at how the guy who edited the movies claimed there was no way anybody would be able to tell something had been cut out.

I really need to watch this documentary now.

Also it's been awhile since I've seen Lebowski, but while Tara Reid is a minor character, she's vital for the whole plot so cutting her out entirely from a scene probably collapses the entire framework.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It was just Brandt and the Dude standing outside with the camera cutting back and forth and Brandt looking more and more uncomfortable each time.

It probably worked better than stranger in the Alps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, that's the scene where she's in a bikini. Cutting that means when Jeff Bridges is asked to give the "kidnappers" the money he's never met Mrs. Lebowski.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't think this ever got a response: yes, it's quite good, if you're in the mood for an artsy movie about a convict sex spaceship. I hope you rented it and enjoyed it.

Not yet. But it’s still on agenda for next weekend. Thanks for the rec :cool:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skwirl posted:

he has sex with that buxom lady he smiles at and says being on tv makes everything easier when he's dressed as abe lincoln (cuts from them smiling at each other then she's riding him with her boobs out). in their cut they're smiling at each other and he's saying how being on tv makes everything easier but then cuts to him washing his face looking in the mirror and so his line makes no sense.

the lebowski scene has bunny offering to give the dude a blowjob for 1000 bucks. they cut that out but keep in hoffman's reaction AND the dude saying he was going to find a cash machine so it makes no sense.

the documentary is really good. i've watched it a half dozen times probably.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Krispy Wafer posted:

It probably worked better than stranger in the Alps.
I randomly found that flipping channels once and was real and was GLORIOUS.