Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I know someone posted about how to check a unit's class mastery, but I can't find it. Anyone mind reposting it?

Also, do you have to make someone a Dark Priest first to be able to make them a Dark Bishop? Dark Bishop isn't listed in Hubert's class list while Dark Priest is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

This is such a stark contrast of quality with Fates that it's not loving funny. I've had people calling it the best fire emblem game ever surpassing their old favourites. The amount of care and effort gone into ensuring everything just hits the right beat is amazing. Quite frankly, it's a contender for one of the best ever made.

I still like the map design a bit better from the FE7-9 era but this game is real fuckin good

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Annath posted:

I know someone posted about how to check a unit's class mastery, but I can't find it. Anyone mind reposting it?

Also, do you have to make someone a Dark Priest first to be able to make them a Dark Bishop? Dark Bishop isn't listed in Hubert's class list while Dark Priest is.

In their stat menu, the class mastery is in the bottom right (next to their skill ranks) for estimated numbers.

When you go to change class you can see the exact number.,

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Annath posted:

I think you need to make at least one person a Dark Mage then Dark Bishop will show up. Like I know I made Lindhart a Dark Mage and now Dark Bishop shows up on all my male character's class charts.

Of course since I only got one Dark Seal I could never actually make a Dark Bishop.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Onmi posted:

This is such a stark contrast of quality with Fates that it's not loving funny. I've had people calling it the best fire emblem game ever surpassing their old favourites. The amount of care and effort gone into ensuring everything just hits the right beat is amazing. Quite frankly, it's a contender for one of the best ever made.

Yup. This is a better game than FE4, FE5, or FE8, the ones I'd have put at the top of the heap--I'm blown away by just how polished it is.

To a series novice it's probably half-impenetrable but I don't care, learn to swim

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

inthesto posted:

Annette's personal weapon may not be super practical, but it's very funny in theory. (Minor spoilers for adult versions)

It's such a shame that there's no Oni Chieftain equivalent.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Polo-Rican posted:

What would happen if, theoretically, you purposely got every student in the game killed as quickly as possible? Has anyone tried a "get all students killed" speedrun yet?

I was wondering this too. Seems like with the smaller default cast and relative difficulty of recruiting characters you couldn't afford to lose many people early on without tanking your run. Maybe that's why they added the time rewind and seeing enemy aggro lines before committing actions. I bet there have been a lot fewer casualties and soft resets to save characters in this one than previous games.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Harrow posted:

The Death Knight, at least on the second encounter, send like he wouldn't be too bad on Casual. You could rush him down at the end of the map with little issue as long as you have something with bonus damage to him.

On Classic, though, I have no idea how you'd ever fight him there unless you're willing to lose units for that Dark Seal. I'm playing Classic so I took one look at that crit chance and immediately choose the other map objective and left him alone.

I used a bunch of gambits to weaken him without getting hit, then had Lysithea nuke him.

Then the next time he showed up, I also had Lysithea nuke him.

She was my number 1 priority for poaching to the Eagles, and I do not even slightly regret it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AFashionableHat posted:

Yup. This is a better game than FE4, FE5, or FE8, the ones I'd have put at the top of the heap--I'm blown away by just how polished it is.

To a series novice it's probably half-impenetrable but I don't care, learn to swim

I've never played a fire emblem before (okay, fire emblem warriors) and it's fine
Although as per my questions above some stuff is hard to work out, but the game still works for me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Cyril has the same funny thing as Hayato did where changing his class immediately inflates his muscles to a size that doesn't suit his character gimmick at all.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Taear posted:

I've never played a fire emblem before (okay, fire emblem warriors) and it's fine
Although as per my questions above some stuff is hard to work out, but the game still works for me.

you are hereby a good egg.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Rand Brittain posted:

Cyril has the same funny thing as Hayato did where changing his class immediately inflates his muscles to a size that doesn't suit his character gimmick at all.

Not as bad as as Vaike being swole as hell in most of his classes but a scrawny dweeb as a Berserker.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Just go peep Linhardt as a War Master for a second in the certification screen.

Drink it in.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Andrast posted:

On the second encounter I OHKOed him with Sylvain's prf + Knightkeeler

How the gently caress did the you clear the paralogue on chapter 4 when the recommended level is 15+

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

How the gently caress did the you clear the paralogue on chapter 4 when the recommended level is 15+

you can just keep the lance when you do Chapter 5. it costs you support points with Rhea but if you have Sylvain you can just keep it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

you can just keep the lance when you do Chapter 5. it costs you support points with Rhea but if you have Sylvain you can just keep it.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

e: there's no possibly way to poach sylvain by that point so I guess that's a...Blue Lion(?) playthrough only strat unless you do some weird powerleveling

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah it's exactly that

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

you can also just poach Sylvain as your first action if you're a girl :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

e: there's no possibly way to poach sylvain by that point so I guess that's a...Blue Lion(?) playthrough only strat unless you do some weird powerleveling

I had him on Black Eagles by that point...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Poaching an unit before that chapter should be pretty easy though. Just get him to B-support.

Also female Byleths get him for free no matter the house

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You can poach him instantly with female Byleth.

I don’t know what happens if you bring Sylvain to the mission as a guest. I’d love for someone to find out.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

chlorophylls posted:

Playable male characters can absolutely be dancers: https://imgur.com/a/xRfXOMB

It seems to be a stat check with some degree of RNG? Like, the higher your unit's Cha is above 13, the higher their chances of winning. Manuela told me 13 too, but my choice has failed every single attempt so far because his Cha is literally 13 (since I stupidly forgot to feed him a stat booster in time) so I got to watch as everyone else from Felix to Lorenz to Hilda win in all my savescumming attempts. :(

holy poo poo Hubert Dancer is my everything

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

Poaching an unit before that chapter should be pretty easy though. Just get him to B-support.

Also female Byleths get him for free no matter the house

The way it works with some characters is annoying though - like you can't get a B with Leoni until later on, the event won't trigger.
When I play again I know that I'll focus differently, but I've definitely missed out recruiting in a sensible way, I guess.

I spent so long just assuming that you couldn't get B ranks with outside house people until later in the game because of her and others.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zoran posted:

I don’t know what happens if you bring Sylvain to the mission as a guest. I’d love for someone to find out.

I had him along as a guest. He had dialogue during the mission, but I didn't have a choice to keep the lance afterwards.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's in his paralogue too so like....do you have two?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Question about Supports. Does the B being Red mean that I have to wait till the time skip to continue it or is that just the default color.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Since his Japanese VA is the same as Mikazuki in Gundam IBO, I've been working under the assumption that he's crazy ripped for such a small guy.

Also that I should never turn my back on him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

It's in his paralogue too so like....do you have two?

It wasn't in his paralogue for me since I had already gotten it before that

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm a big dumbo. Dorothea won the dance-off, but I don't see where to reclass her? e: I was looking in the certification list, not the reclass list. It's next to her Commoner class.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question about Supports. Does the B being Red mean that I have to wait till the time skip to continue it or is that just the default color.

Nah, all B ranks are just colored B, near as I can tell.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 30, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bogart posted:

I'm a big dumbo. Dorothea won the dance-off, but I don't see where to reclass her?

Nah, all B ranks are just colored B, near as I can rtell.

You don't need to do a certification, just a reclass. That's in the inventory menu, for some godforsaken reason

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
All that sweeping and floor scrubbing made Cyril really buff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

If you click on it in the support menu it'll say "can't do this yet" if it requires you to wait for a particular event.

Andrast posted:

It wasn't in his paralogue for me since I had already gotten it before that

Aww.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Zoran posted:

I poached him (not trying) because of female Byleth. He didn't do anything special except a few lines of dialogue.

edit: wait is guest different? I haven't done anyone as a guest yet.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lmao shamir voted for fukken hubert in the white heron cup

no matter since dorothea ran away with it anyway

e: also, a support saying "it will take some time to deepen this bond" is code for "wait til the timeskip" right

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 30, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

e: also, a support saying "it will take some time to deepen this bond" is code for "wait til the timeskip" right

It generally means "Wait until a story beat happens." It's not time skip specific.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Senerio posted:

In their stat menu, the class mastery is in the bottom right (next to their skill ranks) for estimated numbers.

When you go to change class you can see the exact number.,

Where is it on the stat screen? Because I don't see it where I'm looking:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

lmao shamir voted for fukken hubert in the white heron cup

no matter since dorothea ran away with it anyway

Not precisely, some support ranks are pre-timeskip they just need certain months. Most are post-timeskip though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This game's writing has some faults (there's def. some clunk whenever it wants to get people into place for twists, and the actual out and out evil, non-playable on any route characters could all be replaced with snidely whiplash) but there's actual reasons for both of those things that serve the good parts of the game's writing, (the twists serve to flesh out the world and give the characters things to react to, the completely evil characters serve as contrast to the conflicted goals of the three houses where nobody's entirely in the wrong or right) so while I wouldn't say it's perfect, it's pretty drat good.

I'm much more mixed on the actual gameplay but that's because it's all over the place in terms of difficulty, map design, and class balance. Definitely not enough to make the game bad or anything but it's a shame it couldn't consistently hit its highs. (Minor golden deer post timeskip spoilers) on the other hand, claude's master plan of setting all of our own guys on fire was probably the funniest thing to happen in any fire emblem game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Annath posted:

Where is it on the stat screen? Because I don't see it where I'm looking:

It's only there in the battle stat screen. Yes, this is dumb.

While in the monastery, you can check by trying to reclass the unit into their current class.Instead of displaying their new stats or whatever, it'll display their progress in that class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

A lot of the supports reference specific events, so you have to wait for them. Alternatively you can apparently miss the window for a support entirely, I can't watch the C support for someone I recruited right before the time skip, pretty annoying.