Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ansel autisms posted:

tripod (duh)

Now you loving tell me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Earlier today I went over to ask one of my photography buddies at work if he had done any LF, he said no but he had done some MF back in the day and then asked me if I wanted any of the film he brought in to give away..

]

I think it's mostly useless, most of the stack on the right is duplicating film and the entire lot is dated from 1999-2005 (the porta is 2005). I'll take it as a sign either way though :hfive:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

My local camera shop didn't have a loupe so they sold me a little slide viewer doodad at a big discount (because it wasn't what I was really after and I'd have to dick with it). I took it home, popped the opaque white cap off and ground off some plastic bits and basically turned it into a loupe. It's not fancy, kinda clunky and doesn't have a way of attaching a neck strap but it works perfectly fine for getting accurate focus.

I attempted to use a black t-shirt as a dark cloth which worked OK but was kinda lovely because A) it wasn't totally opaque, B) it was awkward to use, C) it got in the way of the ground glass even in light wind and D) it caused the ground glass to fog up a ton from my breath on a cold morning. I got a proper dark cloth second-hand and it was a lot better to use.

I used my phone as an average lightmeter for my first B&W shots and that worked fine, you can also try to use a digital camera to get the exposure you want if you have one and don't want to buy a dedicated lightmeter (which I eventually did because LF is heavy and slow and expensive and I wanted to get the best possible shots for the effort).

I got 6 second-hand film holders, 3 plastic which are fine, 3 wood which are warped and poo poo, get the plastic ones. Also clean them before you use them, my first negatives were all covered in dust during exposure from the film holders (something I never had to worry about shooting 35mm).

I carry an ipad mini with an app for calculating exposure (including reciprocity failure) and as a viewfinder so I can check composition with my focal length quickly before having to go to the effort of setting the camera up.

When you all add it up I pretty well fill up a small hiking backpack just with my 4x5 camera, some film holders and all of the various gubbins needed to take a photo, which kinda surprised me but I do enjoy the technical nature of the process and how deliberate it makes you.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man all this LF talk is rad and really making me want to pick up a chamonix, then I realize I don’t have nearly enough money for the camera itself let alone all the other stuff needed. Especially seeing your shots as you've gotten your camera and learned about it, Blackhawk.

One day!!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Man all this LF talk is rad and really making me want to pick up a chamonix, then I realize I don’t have nearly enough money for the camera itself let alone all the other stuff needed. Especially seeing your shots as you've gotten your camera and learned about it, Blackhawk.

One day!!

Sell all your digital gear! Make that one day tomorrow!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

alkanphel posted:

Sell all your digital gear! Make that one day tomorrow!!

I only have like, maybe a grand's worth of digital gear. I guess that'd at least be enough for the body! :smith:

I'll definitely be saving up though, I'm really a sucker for the look afforded by the motions available on LF.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I only have like, maybe a grand's worth of digital gear. I guess that'd at least be enough for the body! :smith:

I'll definitely be saving up though, I'm really a sucker for the look afforded by the motions available on LF.

You could technically get that with a tilt-shift lens on digital, but those are pretty expensive too. Just boils down to whether you want to go through the trouble of shooting sheet film.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The sooner you get in, the less your existing digital gear will depreciate

At this point they’re practically paying you

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

The thing that I've liked the most about large format so far is that you really feel like a craftsman working with a tool much more so than I've felt with digital or 35mm. You're physically doing every aspect of taking the image, you've got complete control over it, I connect a lot more with the scene through the camera than I do through a viewfinder or rangefinder.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i loving hate it like a curse and wish id never picked up a camera in the first place because now im broke and probably have thyroid cancer from all the cadmium bromide and silver nitrate ive inadvertantly consumed and i still loving suck

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Blackhawk posted:

... I connect a lot more with the scene through the camera than I do through a viewfinder or rangefinder.

Part of the reason I enjoy TLRs so much. They're the snapshot and selfie cameras of their day but I find the light square in the dark of the viewfinder and the flipped image really helps to isolate the scene and really you think about what you're doing. Happens pretty often that I'll see what I thought was an interesting subject in the viewfinder and realize its boring and poo poo and all my work is poo poo.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erhh, how do you guys drop of your film to be processed? In the film holders or do you unload them first?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Erhh, how do you guys drop of your film to be processed? In the film holders or do you unload them first?

Unload them first.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

So good...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Love it. What film is that?

God drat someone needs to buy my Sony poo poo I need this in my life

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Google Butt posted:

Porta 400 it’s in the Flickr tags

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some more Ektar, wasn't really feeling it this morning though so I took two shots and it felt like I wasted $10. This one was directly into the sun so all things considered I think it turned out OK.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Have some square death

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Spent about 2 hours getting 6 shots on the 4x5 yesterday. Haven't developed the colour ones but they should be a ton better than this. I took two B&W shots after the sun set and I probably shouldn't have bothered because the light wasn't really there for it but uhhh, I'm going to post one anyway??

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm putting together a budget to save up for a LF camera, because gently caress money I guess. What's a decent budget lens for 4x5? I generally prefer 50mm and 35mm on full frame, which if I understand right is around 150mm and 100mm on 4x5 respectively.

e: Also, anyone have any experience with the Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5? I hear it's nice and super lightweight for a 4x5. Obviously the Chamonix is the thread favorite, just was curious if anyone had any experience with that specifically since I'll mostly be taking mine hiking, and saving weight is always nice.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 29, 2019

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'm putting together a budget to save up for a LF camera, because gently caress money I guess. What's a decent budget lens for 4x5? I generally prefer 50mm and 35mm on full frame, which if I understand right is around 150mm and 100mm on 4x5 respectively.

The Nikkor or Fujinon lenses are reasonably priced and have good performance. You can consider their 150/5.6 and 90/8 lenses.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I use a fujinon 135mm f5.6 lens, seems fine to me, I like 40mm focal length in 35mm and it seems close to that. Also still loving the Chamonix 45n-2, not as light as an intrepid for example but man it's so solid. I've seen some video reviews of the intrepid and I know they're extremely cheap and light but they really don't look nice to use.

Also just tried out an SP-445 dev tank for some C-41 and although I wouldn't say it's easier than the taco method I think it definitely produces better negatives. I've only done ~10 4x5 neggies using the taco method but most had some scratches and one or two had uneven banding in the sky which really sucked.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Google Butt posted:

People said already but yeah portra 400 on a 4x5 view camera with a 210mm

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

a cyberpunk goose posted:

People said already but yeah portra 400 on a 4x5 view camera with a 210mm

Thanks.

Speaking of selling my Sony poo poo I'm almost rid of it. Still going back and forth between the n2 and f2, I'm primarily interested in landscapes, but I'm not sure how often I will actually do asymmetric movements.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

You can take this kind of photo on any camera! I didn't use dramatic movements for this one or anything fancy, I coulda taken it on my P67 or even a 35 and I think what you really like here is the portra 400 feel.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Wouldn't larger movements thus require a lens that is capable of providing appropriate coverage? I'm not sure if this is much a worry for 4x5 as opposed to like 8x10 but I've heard it's something you need to keep in mind and account for.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Wouldn't larger movements thus require a lens that is capable of providing appropriate coverage? I'm not sure if this is much a worry for 4x5 as opposed to like 8x10 but I've heard it's something you need to keep in mind and account for.

Different makes of different lenses have slightly different coverage, just depends on the lens design. The 120mm i use with my 4x5 has enough coverage for 8x10 if mostly centered, for example.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is there anyone in particular I can look at for good examples of what can be done with asymmetrical movements and landscapes?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Is there anyone in particular I can look at for good examples of what can be done with asymmetrical movements and landscapes?

The cheesy examples are things like extreme tilt shift effects to make landscapes look like miniatures.

But if you're doing it right, it shouldn't be noticeable.

A good example is one that Ansel Autisms took:

Untitled

I wasn't there for this pic but; without movements or tilt the foreground would be very big and distorted, so he explained it to me as having done some relatively drastic rear standard tilting to even out the proportions of the scene and sort of counteract the perspective distortion in the foreground.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 30, 2019

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

These don't have the kinds of examples I imagine you're looking for but MrBlandAverage sent me these links along the topic:

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/camera%20movements.html
http://www.toyoview.com/LargeFrmtTech/lgformat.html

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

As a side note I got a price back from the only place that I'm aware of in my country (New Zealand) that does E-6 process slide film. $17 NZD per sheet of 4x5 to process, about $7 NZD per piece of velvia 100, so total ~$16 USD per shot if I want to shoot slide film,not including scanning but I would do that myself anyway. I think I'll probably keep shooting Ektar and home processing for the time being...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
More research for my LF shopping list: I notice the 45N-2 doesn't come with bellows, and Chamonix has "standard" bellows and "universale" bellows available for sale on their site, with little explanation of the difference between the two. Any recommendations?

Also, scanning options: I've got an Epson v550, which my research suggests isn't big enough for 8x10 scanning. How about 4x5? I know the epson 700 can scan LF but I'm not sure on the 550. Obviously I could just upgrade to the 550, but saving where possible would be nice. Or is it just easier to get scans from the lab you get shots developed at?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

More research for my LF shopping list: I notice the 45N-2 doesn't come with bellows, and Chamonix has "standard" bellows and "universale" bellows available for sale on their site, with little explanation of the difference between the two. Any recommendations?

. . . That would be new. It should come with bellows. You can write to Hugo for clarification, though; he's a helpful guy. You'll sometimes want a bag bellows or something if you're using extreme movements (as the bellows material can get in the way) or an extreme wide-angle lens, and I've seen specially-constructed ones for working in heavy wind, but I don't know if there's a specific difference there.

The Chamonix website posted:

The 45N-2 comes finished in gray metal only and it comes with a universal bellows in either black or red.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yond Cassius posted:

. . . That would be new. It should come with bellows. You can write to Hugo for clarification, though; he's a helpful guy. You'll sometimes want a bag bellows or something if you're using extreme movements (as the bellows material can get in the way) or an extreme wide-angle lens, and I've seen specially-constructed ones for working in heavy wind, but I don't know if there's a specific difference there.

well poo poo, it does come with the bellows, dunno why I thought it didn't. :downs: Maybe cus the specs list at the bottom doesn't mention them in the "comes with" section.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a cyberpunk goose posted:

The cheesy examples are things like extreme tilt shift effects to make landscapes look like miniatures.

But if you're doing it right, it shouldn't be noticeable.

A good example is one that Ansel Autisms took:

Untitled

I wasn't there for this pic but; without movements or tilt the foreground would be very big and distorted, so he explained it to me as having done some relatively drastic rear standard tilting to even out the proportions of the scene and sort of counteract the perspective distortion in the foreground.

yeah this pic had a lot of rear swing - i rotated the rear standard to make the staircase slightly smaller. it was on a 90mm lens, pretty wide, so without it had a pretty bad fisheye look because of where i was standing

Also, scanning options: I've got an Epson v550, which my research suggests isn't big enough for 8x10 scanning. How about 4x5? I know the epson 700 can scan LF but I'm not sure on the 550. Obviously I could just upgrade to the 550, but saving where possible would be nice. Or is it just easier to get scans from the lab you get shots developed at?

get a v750 or v800 (if you get a v800, buy v750 holders online - they have weird dust-collecting plastic on the v800 holders), scanning yourself will be significantly cheaper long term

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

get a v750 or v800 (if you get a v800, buy v750 holders online - they have weird dust-collecting plastic on the v800 holders), scanning yourself will be significantly cheaper long term

Silverfast + ColorPerfect (photoshop plugin) are also good purchases that you'll probably end up making.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
V550 is not big enough to do 4x5, you can either scan twice and stitch (ugh) or buy a v700/750/800/850 as suggested above.

The light in the 550 is just wide enough for 120 film

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Most LF lenses indicate their circle of coverage so you can check that against the maximum movements allowed by your LF camera to see if the coverage is sufficient. So far, on field cameras like the Chamonix, most LF lenses have sufficient coverage, it only really starts to matter seriously on some of those technical or monorail cameras where the rise/shift can be pretty drat generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some more Ektar in my Chamonix, loving it so far.