Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Short little Mindhunter Season 2 Trailer. The 1st season thread got archived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqsRDnzxUA

More BTK advancement and we are getting Manson, Son of Sam David Berkowitz, and the Atlanta murders.

And man do they have the best casting for this show cause Manson and Berkowitz look spot on to who they are in real life.

Coming out August 16th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Digital Jedi posted:

More BTK advancement and we are getting Manson, Son of Sam David Berkowitz, and the Atlanta murders.

Pretty stoked about this as season 1 was pretty cool especially with the depiction of Ed Kemper. As for the Atlanta Murders there's a great podcast called Atlanta Monster if anyone wants to check it out. Honestly Wayne Williams may have been a murderer but I doubt he was the only one killing vulnerable black kids in Atlanta at the time. It sounds like there was just so much political pressure from Washington to shut down the public hysteria that the dude may not even be guilty at all. It's hosed up that it's a pretty weak and shaky case but he's been in prison ever since. Or he might in fact have done them all, who the hell knows?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 30, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Listened to Last Podcast on the Left and apparently there were like 5 serial killers active in a single.neighborhood in LA at 1 point in the 80s. but I guess black killers dont get much press.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

PostNouveau posted:

I'm finishing it up. It's a pretty good season.

Wonder whatever happened to Boo

Since it’s the last season I like how they touched up with most of the old characters, so it was weird she wasn’t brought up at all.

Piper and Daya really drag down the season for me though, otherwise it’s fine/good for an ending.

poor Tiffany though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyag7lR8CPA

Best trailer I've seen in ages.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm into season 2 of my Breaking Bad rewatch and I'm starting to think that Walt isn't that good of a guy?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You're ahead of the curve.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

You're ahead of the curve.

I don't get it, why is Skylar so critical of him? Something must be wrong with her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its still one of the funniest things to me that the show creator felt a need after like 3 or 4 seasons of the show to publicly plea to the show's viewers "Walt is not the hero, he's done a lot of really bad stuff."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pentyne posted:

I don't get it, why is Skylar so critical of him? Something must be wrong with her.

she doesn't want to be a cool drug dealer fedora guy just like all the BITCHEs in homeroom

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Digital Jedi posted:

Short little Mindhunter Season 2 Trailer. The 1st season thread got archived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqsRDnzxUA

And man do they have the best casting for this show cause Manson and Berkowitz look spot on to who they are in real life.

Coming out August 16th

Oh wow they got the same actor to play Manson that just played him in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

EDIT: Oh poo poo I didn’t even notice that was Dewey from Justified when watching the film. drat.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 30, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

pentyne posted:

Nothing is wrong with her but she's boring to watch in a lot of the earlier scenes. They figure out the character by season 4.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Twin Peaks 1.4:

This really is just like Lost. They've even got their own smoke monster :v:

Also, Laura's funeral lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IT CAME BEFORE LOST RARITY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Oh wow they got the same actor to play Manson that just played him in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

EDIT: Oh poo poo I didn’t even notice that was Dewey from Justified when watching the film. drat.

Wow that's cool! Now I am curious which he role he got first and how he came to get the other. Very interested in seeing the differences and similarities he will play each role with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1156292187920846848

Bojack Mooseman

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think people should wait the full 25 years between season 2 and 3 to really get the proper "Twin Peaks Experience" if you ask me, it's just not quite the same otherwise. The passage of time is really necessary to accentuate the themes of entropy and aging and change in season 3... You can watch Fire Walk With Me as many times as you want, though, but not the extended cut until the last 5 years now, play fair!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kripke's doing an AMA on r/television

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Kripke's doing an AMA on r/television

I mean, I don't get why Amazon toned down the stupid edgelord poo poo, that's 90% of what The Boys is. Let Homelander crank it you wimps.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Laughed really hard at Episode 5 of The Boys and the direct to DVD movie starring Billy Zane.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
OK. As if that episode of Legion wasn't bonkers enough. They cap it off with a motherfucking rap battle? Holy poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I did a legit double take

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

pentyne posted:

The Twin Peaks thread has the watch order/recommendation down to a precision science.

Do not skip anything if you have not seen the show before imho.

The bad parts of S2 are comedy gold.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The SNL TP skit is also required viewing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I love how whenever someone starts watcing an old show someone comes up to tell them to skip a whole bunch of episodes :allears:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Even that oldass 4chan image itself says skipping stuff is a bad idea. It's more a rewatch guide than anything imo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only time I ever even kind of suggest skipping episodes is when someone is completely ready to quit on a show they started and I really think they'll like what it becomes. So sometimes I'll be like, "you should keep watching but if you really are gonna quit than watch EpX, Y, and Z and then decide."

Like off the top of my head the only shows I've ever really done that with are:

1) Parks & Rec: "Its kind of a lovely Office ripoff and all the characters kind of suck."/"Yeah kinda, but it really changes up in S2 and becomes its own thing and the characters just change totally into cool people."

2) Supernatural: "Its a kind of generic procedural."/"Yeah, kinda but there's actual a meta plot that they develop really slowly through the first season and then throw into hyperdrive right at the end and into S2 and keep going through S5. So like watch these episodes and if you like them go back and watch the rest."

3) Cougar Town: "This is terrible."/"Yeah, but like after 3 episodes they realize its terrible and it becomes a totally different ensemble comedy that spends the next few years making fun of its terrible original premise."

4) Legends of Tomorrow: "I HATE THE HAWK PEOPLE!"/"Everyone totally does! They go away and the show turns into the goofiest thing on TV!"

But I think skipping around is weird and don't understand people who like really choose to watch that way. I'd only recommend it as a last effort attempt to give the show a chance.

Now I have strong opinions of many good shows that you absolutely should stop watching when they go bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fringe has a really boring first season. You can also just watch the pilot for ST: Next Generation and then skip the next 30 episodes.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
what is dead may never die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0UD2QKmEM

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Wait is it called "New Series", or have they just not decided what to call it yet? It's a pretty lazy show, so the former wouldn't surprise me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mu Zeta posted:

Fringe has a really boring first season.

Like all procedural shows, Fringe gets better once it's able to tell longer and better stories, and John Noble has a string of 3-4 years where he is the best actor on tv. But season 1 is definitely still good.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lycus posted:

Wait is it called "New Series", or have they just not decided what to call it yet?

The latter. FTWD's title was also announced pretty late into its development.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I really like Fringe, but while season 2 and 3 are fantastic top of the genre stuff, season 4 and 5 are mediocre trash that coasts on what came before. They could have gone anywhere after that season 3 finale, and instead they just loving reset everything! The same wheel spinning bullshit that made season 1 so lame! And then there is a huge time skip, the observers were stupid villains, and the resolution to season 5 was just a bunch of nonsense

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mostly agree but the callbacks in the finale are great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

The only time I ever even kind of suggest skipping episodes is when someone is completely ready to quit on a show they started and I really think they'll like what it becomes. So sometimes I'll be like, "you should keep watching but if you really are gonna quit than watch EpX, Y, and Z and then decide."

But that's the thing. I'm always ready to quit.

There's no way in hell I'm going to sit through 30 minutes of something I'm not enjoying, let alone an entire season of it—no matter how rewarding the payoff. I have no issue jumping into something in-progress and missing a bit of context or having to play catch-up by reading Wikipedia if I'm enjoying it, though. Like, I don't feel my life is any less rich because I skipped the first season of P&R or the first two seasons of Clone Wars or all of the Twin Peaks episodes between the Bob reveal and the finale. As long as I jump into something entertaining with high-quality writing, I'm good to go.

Lots of people are precious about their entertainment but I'm not one of them. I'm no completionist, and I don't care how invested I am in a show. When I want to move on, I'm moving on even if I just have a few episodes left. Hell, I stop watching shows I'm still enjoying because I've gotten my fill. There's too much good content out there for me to waste my time watching something I'm not into. I've got poo poo to do.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go scour YouTube for another bottom-of-the-barrel 50s b-movie schlockfest.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 31, 2019

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So Joss Whedon's cast and given character synopses for his new HBO sci-fi show in the works and, honestly, it kind of sounds like the same formula he's had for Firefly, Buffym and Angel. Guy really likes his emotionally stunted heroines and tragically twisted, psychotic villainess.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/30/joss-whedon-hbo-nevers-cast/

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So it's another superhero team, but period.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Joss Whedon has created 3½ very good to great shows, I have confidence in the final product.

feedmyleg posted:

But that's the thing. I'm always ready to quit.

The difference is that you are actively choosing to skip or quit because you don't like what you see, there is nothing wrong with that.

The problem is when you start skipping scenes and episodes not because you don't like them, but because a list told you so. The trouble is that people on the internet tend to judge everything on extreme scales, something is either great or it's pure trash, people tend to ignore the character development that happens when a show starts, and they don't realize the huge benefits there are to watching characters grow.

Personally I never skip episodes when first watching a show, if a show isn't good enough for me to keep watching then I just stop.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

I love how whenever someone starts watcing an old show someone comes up to tell them to skip a whole bunch of episodes :allears:

There are a few shows where doing that makes sense. Like there's a solid case to be made to skip all of the mythology episodes of the X-Files because they're generally slow, pointless, directionless garbage compared to the monster-of-the-week ones.

With Parks & Rec it's less "skip the first season" and more "stuffer through it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have never watched almost all of the first season of Parks and Rec and I do not plan to. It's one of the only times I would legit suggest just not bothering because it's so different tonally and character-wise, and is only six episodes anyway.