Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
People can do good things and also bad things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Necrothatcher posted:

Are you implying that this show has raped its viewers?
No and it's posts like this that make these discussions less fun. Stop assuming the worst and give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Show is gonna be like Twin Peaks season 3 where they don’t explain any of the crazy poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Show is gonna be like Twin Peaks season 3 where they don’t explain any of the crazy poo poo.

i like this show but its nowhere near that level

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DaveKap posted:

No and it's posts like this that make these discussions less fun. Stop assuming the worst and give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

"Why would you respond to my words instead of my vague sense of injustice" is a pretty good parallel to David tbh

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

rapeface posted:

"Why would you respond to my words instead of my vague sense of injustice" is a pretty good parallel to David tbh
Haha congratulations you've solved my ARG.

I keep forgetting to mention it here but if you like weird time travel shenanigans I highly recommend Dark on Netflix. It's a German show that's got 2 of its 3 seasons complete (it was conceived as a 3-season show, apparently) and the way it deals with the paradoxical nature of time travel is pretty entertaining.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 28, 2019

night slime
May 14, 2014

DaveKap posted:

Actually, since some of ya'll are rewatching older episodes, maybe you can help me out. What was the point of transforming David's sister? What was the point of the Minotuar's existence in the cave? I'm still hopeful we get an answer about that pokeball in the final episodes.

I don't know what the point of David's sister was. Also it's kinda weird since if that weapon can reproduce someone from their DNA (he takes a piece of the Lenny corpse from the grave to do it) that why doesn't Farouk just sacrifice some random stranger and clone himself so he can stop David.

I take the cave to be some sort of place that they trapped evil mutants in, like the crazy Legion version of the Raft since it's some desolate place that makes everyone (the monks) go insane from being near it and has other weird properties. The monk makes a reference to agreeing to take the body of Farouk and it being a mistake. The Minotaur had some sort of power-dampening thing that Melanie Farouk removes. I'm guessing the Minotaur did some bad poo poo and Professor X or someone alley-ooped him into the cave next to Farouk. Melanie Farouk also addresses him in Farsi, so it's possible the two even knew each other in their previous lives.

DaveKap posted:

In a way, it's brilliant. The show has exploited the viewer in the same way David may have exploited Syd. That's some solid immersion! In another way, that's how you lose enough viewers to have to cut your show down to a 3-season stint. (Was it always supposed to be 3 seasons? I actually don't know.)

I don't think FX really cares about ratings that much. They have stuff like The Americans that never gets many people watching it and it goes on for multiple seasons because they know it's good. I think I read an interview with Hawley where he said it was more a nice creative sandbox place than working at the parent network with Bones. I guess that's how you get Chris Rock for something like Fargo where the audience hovers around 1 million.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Davids sister existed to be someone completely innocent whose life was destroyed by her relation to him. In a kind of extension of how he negatively impacted her life when he was an addict, his exposure as a mutant caused her to have to relocate out into the desert for safety only to get arbitrarily murdered by something outside of her comprehension for almost no real reason.

I think Farouk killed her specifically to push David over the edge and make him a little bit more like himself but it was more than a little self-sabotaging considering David was working with him at that point and if it wasn't for Syd it would have directly led to him getting his goddamn head smashed open.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Are you implying that this show has raped its viewers?
Hey I'm going to apologize for calling this a lovely post, give you the benefit of the doubt, and clarify that I was referring to the exploitation (that I'm trying to argue didn't happen) in episode 1 where David and Syd do a dance number and Syd suddenly likes David because he mind controlled her into it. The show mind controlled the audience into liking David for Season 1. That's the parallel I was drawing.

Nephthys posted:

Davids sister existed to be someone completely innocent whose life was destroyed by her relation to him. In a kind of extension of how he negatively impacted her life when he was an addict, his exposure as a mutant caused her to have to relocate out into the desert for safety only to get arbitrarily murdered by something outside of her comprehension for almost no real reason.

I think Farouk killed her specifically to push David over the edge and make him a little bit more like himself but it was more than a little self-sabotaging considering David was working with him at that point and if it wasn't for Syd it would have directly led to him getting his goddamn head smashed open.
Yeah I seem to recall thinking this at the time but, as you said, the self-sabotage part is what made me question it. I still feel like the whole point was so a Farouk-controlled-Lenny would be seen by David as an ally he has to keep alive and close because he knows it's a combo of Lenny and his sister, which would give Farouk the insider info he needs whenever he needs it. Except... he didn't. They started this season trying to find David which wasn't via Lenny. And in the end (we still have 3 episodes and time traveling though so... more like "so far") it doesn't lead up to anything worthwhile when Lenny stabs herself since David doesn't see his current state as the timeline he'll end up in anyway.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 28, 2019

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

The point I was trying to make was that the specific flip-flop Legion made was one that exploited its viewers. This is why you get posts like this:

Season 1 had a very positive and obvious theme. Abandoned and hunted people who were victims of their own birth came together against those who hunted them. The audience is brought in for something familiar but wild set against the mutant super powers that most of the mutants felt was a curse. It was great!

Season 2 had a very confusing theme. You had the pokeball, Farouk's body, future Syd, the Minotaur, the desert, the monk, chattering teeth, Division 3... in the end the whole thing felt like it was being weird for weird's sake and not because it had anything to say. But Season 2 ended with a specific point. The Season 1 "good guys" believed David raped Syd.

Again, before this scene happened, I never read anyone mention that they thought David was manipulating Syd in any way. Yet now that this scene is out there, the positive theme of Season 1 clashes with the themes of power, abuse, and manipulation in a way that, to some, could easily feel like an exploitation of the positive feelings one had for Season 1 of the show.
"Remember how you enjoyed this scene, audience member?"
https://i.imgur.com/hpshAQI.mp4
"David manipulated Syd into doing that! You never should have enjoyed that! Haw haw!"
In a way, it's brilliant. The show has exploited the viewer in the same way David may have exploited Syd. That's some solid immersion! In another way, that's how you lose enough viewers to have to cut your show down to a 3-season stint. (Was it always supposed to be 3 seasons? I actually don't know.) The flip flopped too hard and rubs people the wrong way. And in the end, I still have no idea if half the crazy poo poo that happened in Season 2 was for any good reason for anyone, be it characters in the show, how the show is perceived by an audience, or some long-term plot that's going to get snuffed 3 episodes from now.

Actually, since some of ya'll are rewatching older episodes, maybe you can help me out. What was the point of transforming David's sister? What was the point of the Minotuar's existence in the cave? I'm still hopeful we get an answer about that pokeball in the final episodes.

Even if I'm wrong about all this, I think this is a great discussion and at the very least have to credit the show for making it worth talking about.

Great post, I appreciate the amount of thought you put into it. I agree generally with your analysis and think it's a very fair criticism of the show. I personally felt season 2 was pretty good until the finale. Was it as well put together as season 1? Heck no! But to be fair I imagine season 1 was sold as a contained story, perhaps as a miniseries with little thought given to the possibility of subsequent seasons. Season 2 was definitely a bit of a mess at times but it still had a lot of great moments, incredible performances and interesting things to say I feel. I'm very curious about how the finale was written, weren't they given an extra episode? Was this tacked on or the plan all along? I'll also reiterate that I didn't have a problem with them choosing to go the route they did but do feel it was executed poorly and clearly alienated a lot of the audience.

With regards to David's sister I feel that if they had not introduced Ghost Amy I would have been fine with it ending with her becoming Lenny. I feel the show did a reasonable job of justifying the action behind it. Farouk was testing an experimental device that would allow him to transfer himself into a new body. It also acted as a way of provoking David, it follows up on his speech regarding them being Gods and reality being what they make it. But then they did Ghost Amy and yeah, what the gently caress?

I always got the impression that the Minotaur and the maze were extensions of either the Shadow King or existed as a part of the ever-changing desert where his body was. Either way they were clearly under his control and felt like devices to symbolize him using his powers to control or manipulate others. It also was probably a follow up to the yellow-eyed monster haunting David in season one too.

I don't know, I'm fine with weird poo poo coming up that isn't necessarily explained or fully delved into. For example why did a seemingly endless number of monks with bizarre sling-like sonic weapons come out of a giant sink drain in the desert? Because we need a reason to watch Kerry kick some rear end and that's fine by me, in moderation not at the expense of the story etc...

I'm pretty pumped for the final stretch, can't stop listening to their cover of Peace, Love and Understanding. Anyone who says there is no one to root for can go gently caress themselves, I'm sending out all my good vibes to get a happy ending for Cary/Kerry.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Davids sister existed to be someone completely innocent whose life was destroyed by her relation to him.

As did Lenny, essentially, so it’s kind of fitting they would be combined.

Though it’s hard to say how much of a close reading is appropriate in situations like this. Like it would make sense that they both have significance as people (women?) close to him who he used up until their demise, but I could also see them being cases of the writers just awkwardly writing them out of the show once they moved outside the scope of the main plot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh poo poo, Mantzoukas out of nowhere.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm sure this won't be to everyone's taste but this is 100% my poo poo

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Psychic rap battle gently caress yes

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Oh poo poo, Mantzoukas out of nowhere.

this show is so good

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This is so loving good

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If only the message would be heard by more showrunners. Like the people who run Westworld.

"See? This is what you can do when your episodes tell complete stories. You can go this crazy and absurd and out there, and still end up at a place that makes sense."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MIGHTY STRAW

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Holy poo poo this season has been so good.

I want so badly for them to stick the landing.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Madurai posted:

MIGHTY STRAW

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am a bit nervous whether or not they can wrap everything up in just two episodes, but I can't complain about Jemaine Clement participating in a rap battle.

I only know Mantzoukas from The Good Place, he was a lot more tolerable in this.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This is the least annoying character he has ever played

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
His expressions and emoting as The Wolf were fantastic. At the end of the rap battle after Oliver wins by making the wolf feel really bad about being alone and unloved (lmao), the way The Wolf's sadness instantly turns to smug victory as he walks away with the girl was incredibly good

the epitome of :smug:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
also really looking forward next week and seeing "prime Farouk"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

This is the least annoying character he has ever played

Counterpoint: the time he played Eddie Aikau on Drink History

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Casting Jason Mantzoukas as the Big Bad Wolf was inspired and I don't think anyone else in the role would've resulted in a totally different character. But I'm one of those idiots that's always happy when he shows up in anything, even when he goes full Rafi.

I loved this episode. It was a great sendoff for Melanie and Oliver that their characters deserved.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that was amazing.

nothing really happened.

gently caress that was good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Glad they brought Jean Smart back for one more. she didn't have enough to do in season 2.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Haha, that episode ruled. I will never, ever get tired of a late title reveal.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
“She’s lost her innocence, which is a win for this guy” :q:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So the subplot was basicallyOliver and Melanie are stuck in the astral plane, they protect and nurture a Syd who was knocked down to studs by the Legion. He fights a malevolent entity on the plane but doesn't kill him and Syd puts herself back together on the good fight narrative?

I don't get why Melanie was happy about the fantasy ending at the end.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

beanieson posted:

Nah, I just found it, it’s this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWp7inRRiK4

Saturday night live used it in a recurring but a few years ago

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What bit would that be?

Les Jeunes de Paris. A bunch of teens in a Parisian cafe flirt, break out into dance, and do a bunch of extremely French things. It wasn't the one where Emma Stone was host.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 31, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So the subplot was basicallyOliver and Melanie are stuck in the astral plane, they protect and nurture a Syd who was knocked down to studs by the Legion. He fights a malevolent entity on the plane but doesn't kill him and Syd puts herself back together on the good fight narrative?

i think it's more like syd is reborn in a place where she's loved and cared for, experiencing a life without the trauma she suffered, helping her move on to doing the right thing motivated by empathy rather than whatever vengeance the shadow king had been pushing her towards

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

eke out posted:

i think it's more like syd is reborn in a place where she's loved and cared for, experiencing a life without the trauma she suffered, helping her move on to doing the right thing motivated by empathy rather than whatever vengeance the shadow king had been pushing her towards
I don't understand why you guys are using spoiler tags.

The protagonist was defeated, went on a quest to the underworld, and returned to the land of the living with the knowledge of what she has to do.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am not a fan of the "hey this huge world is actually inside the small thing!" stuff that gets used a lot lately, but this worked really well. I was dreading the rap battle, but it pulled it off. It could have very easily been the Robin Williams old white guy who raps, but nope. It was still a Dad Rap Battle, but it was really good.

Looked like they were going to leave Kerri behind so fight the blue meanies, but nope, she casually kicks one and then walks into the time portal.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

I think she was happy to see Oliver get a little passion back and fight for what's right. He'd mostly been pretty passive about the wolf; "We need to move". This was him stepping up and confronting him head on while balancing that with mercy and not melting him.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

I can't remember the exchange exactly, but it seemed like she was missing memories; it's the scene where she says something about Syd being someone "from before," and Oliver says "there is no 'before' for us" and she just kind of nods. I assumed she was happy because she was getting her memories/full identity back after going through the charade.

(Oliver seemed like he remembered everything though, or knew how to recall his memories at will.)

J33uk posted:

I think she was happy to see Oliver get a little passion back and fight for what's right. He'd mostly been pretty passive about the wolf; "We need to move". This was him stepping up and confronting him head on while balancing that with mercy and not melting him.
I dunno, he seemed like he knew what he was doing. He wasn't being passive exactly; he just didn't respond with aggression. He wanted Syd's faux-childhood to go in a certain order so she'd learn love before hate and safety before conflict and so on. It fucks that up if Syd sees him going off to fight all the time, so he instead tries to talk her around and through the frightening things that prompt the Wolf to show up. In Oliver's view, that's what will give her the sense of security and confidence to do the right things herself.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

MokBa posted:

I loved this episode. It was a great sendoff for Melanie and Oliver that their characters deserved.
Yes. Very much this.

twistedmentat posted:

I am not a fan of the "hey this huge world is actually inside the small thing!" stuff that gets used a lot lately, but this worked really well. I was dreading the rap battle, but it pulled it off. It could have very easily been the Robin Williams old white guy who raps, but nope. It was still a Dad Rap Battle, but it was really good.
You know Jemaine Clement is one half of the Flight of the Conchords which did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYVIFGqorLI
So as soon as he said "rap battle" I was like "I don't even loving care how useless this episode will be to the whole series, this is now the best episode of the season" and then the rap happened and it was the best episode of the season.
And

MokBa posted:

Casting Jason Mantzoukas as the Big Bad Wolf was inspired
This is extremely true as well. He played that Wolf perfectly and the writing for him was exactly what it needed to be. It was like 4Chan personified for a fairy tale and it was brilliant and perfect.

Noah Hawley needs to work on episodic shows. loving give him Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, or Black Mirror, dude would knock it out of the goddamn park.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

AtraMorS posted:

I dunno, he seemed like he knew what he was doing. He wasn't being passive exactly; he just didn't respond with aggression. He wanted Syd's faux-childhood to go in a certain order so she'd learn love before hate and safety before conflict and so on. It fucks that up if Syd sees him going off to fight all the time, so he instead tries to talk her around and through the frightening things that prompt the Wolf to show up. In Oliver's view, that's what will give her the sense of security and confidence to do the right things herself.

I fully agree with this actually. For me the whole episode was about contrast three parenting styles. You had Oliver going with the idea of fully shielding young Sid, not talking about "before" and not letting her consider the city (reality) and all of it's implications. Then you've got The Wolf who is 100% the lovely parent who decides you need to learn the hard lessons, going off about STDs to a 4-5 year old and trying to expose the absolutely worst about humanity. Then you've got Melanie who manages to strike a balance between the two, explaining Chlamydia in a way that's both scientifically accurate but also couched in compassion and understanding. I think the rap battle scene with the Wolf comes when Oliver realizes that fully shielding her is impossible and that he needs to both expose her to the real world but also back to her to the hilt, which is some Melanie hasn't seen in him in sometime as to some extent he's been burying his head in the sand. The relationship between Oliver and Melanie is genuinely awesome and I love what Jean and Jermaine bring to their performances.

Also if you'd told me I'd have written that last paragraph when FX announced an X-Men show about Xavier's son then I'd have been blown away. What a weird and beautiful show that's so open to interpretation. If something bad happens to Cary or Kerry I'm going to be an utter wreck, they're just such beautiful contrasts to each other and every scene with them is a pleasure.

TLDR: Kerry, kick more blue meanies in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DaveKap posted:

You know Jemaine Clement is one half of the Flight of the Conchords which did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYVIFGqorLI
So as soon as he said "rap battle" I was like "I don't even loving care how useless this episode will be to the whole series, this is now the best episode of the season" and then the rap happened and it was the best episode of the season.
And

Oh yea, but isn't the thing with FotC is they're supposed to be bad and thats with them writing it, not someone else. I did not know what to expect from it. I really should just trust this show, its never let me down so far.