Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your story synopsis is (the spoiler only says how close you are to being right without elaborating further) pretty bang on the money. While there are some mysteries you haven't touched on, the things you did say are all correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey y'all; I'm just getting back into the game after a several month long break where I got sucked into a few other games. I don't want to start the game over but I'm having trouble remembering where I should go; and I'm wary of looking up guides for fear of spoilers.

In summary, here is where I am with the game:

I have a face icon on the Temple of the Black Egg in Forgotten Crossroads, but nothing happens when I go there. I've explored Greenpath, Forgotten Crossroads, Fungal Wastes, and City of Tears as far as I can. I have the upgraded nail, the wall jump, and the dash; but nothing else. Someone in the PS4 thread mentioned fighting a boss in the City of Tears but I honestly cannot recall if I did that or not!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

If you check your inventory screen, what spells do you have? To the right of your nail is a little face and spells will show up around that face. You should have at least one, but maybe more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Montalvo posted:

Hey y'all; I'm just getting back into the game after a several month long break where I got sucked into a few other games. I don't want to start the game over but I'm having trouble remembering where I should go; and I'm wary of looking up guides for fear of spoilers.

In summary, here is where I am with the game:

I have a face icon on the Temple of the Black Egg in Forgotten Crossroads, but nothing happens when I go there. I've explored Greenpath, Forgotten Crossroads, Fungal Wastes, and City of Tears as far as I can. I have the upgraded nail, the wall jump, and the dash; but nothing else. Someone in the PS4 thread mentioned fighting a boss in the City of Tears but I honestly cannot recall if I did that or not!

That's a good place to be, basically where I put the game down myself during my first run.

Avoiding spoilers: You've basically completed the first major quest, and the game is about to open up in a bunch of big ways.

Extremely minor hints: There is a boss in city of tears, and you probably haven't beaten him yet because he will give you a new movement ability you didn't mention. Also, I thought you were trapped in City of Tears, but you aren't, you can leave. But you'll probably want to take care of that boss now if you can, so you can use that ability to get more places.

Not really spoilers but clear directions you may want to avoid for now: Your next big "quest" is to find 3 places in the world that have masks on them, matching the temple of the black egg. Each has a boss. Beat those bosses, then go back to the temple of the black egg.

Game information, not story spoilers but mechanical spoilers possibly good to know: The game saves before you "beat" it, and that isn't nearly the end of the full game, so you'll want to see that and then you can load up your save and keep going to see the rest of the game.

Lots of places to keep exploring, basically outwards in every direction.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of places to keep exploring, basically outwards in every direction.

Thanks! I actually did manage to get out of the City of Tears but I'll head back there and see if I can find that thing you talk about in the first spoilerblock.

Zack Ater posted:

If you check your inventory screen, what spells do you have? To the right of your nail is a little face and spells will show up around that face. You should have at least one, but maybe more.

Uhhh I'm not at home just now but I'm pretty sure the only spell I have is the one that shoots a ball of energy by hitting circle.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Okay then yeah keep exploring CoT!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
OK thanks!!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Zack Ater posted:

To be fair I've never equipped any of those except for when trying to find out what she wanted me to show her. I know they're probably strong but I don't like risking things that can break :v: So it's not really that big of a deal lol

Don't forget that those charms break when your mask breaks (i.e. when you die). When you enter the Dream and fight something and lose, you don't actually die, so they don't break. Except for (extreme endgame spoilers) the very, very last boss, who you do fight in the Dream and where you do actually die if you lose, probably because for all intents and purposes you are fighting the Dream itself, but I suppose that's very debatable.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Trial of Fools is rough :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zack Ater posted:

Trial of Fools is rough :(

Oh yeah it is. You only have one nail upgrade right? You may wanna just come back when you get another upgrade or two if so.

It can be done with zero upgrades but man is it hard. Having that extra margin for success where you do more damage and have more masks really really helps.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I've got two, and could go get another, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I've also got 8 masks. I think I got pretty close to the end, but I can't really be sure.

e: Looked it up and NOPE I made it about halfway through wave 9... Out of 17 :v:

Telum fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 30, 2019

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
I found the Mantis Claw! Surprisingly, it was just... there in the Mantis Village. Was really expecting a boss guarding it but whatever I guess.

Now I'm in this big building after a tricky platforming section. The door locked behind me and I can get as far as a broken elevator. Is there something I'm missing in this area?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Yes. An entire zone for the most part.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Zack Ater posted:

I've got two, and could go get another, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I've also got 8 masks. I think I got pretty close to the end, but I can't really be sure.

e: Looked it up and NOPE I made it about halfway through wave 9... Out of 17 :v:

If you're looking for tips for beating it, the Trial is what forced me to learn to use spells as a regular part of combat. The Shaman Stone charm also gives you a gigantic boost to spell damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Back in the day before godmaster when trial was as hard as the game got Nailmaster's Glory was the secret trial of the fool tech that people were using and that won it for me. The charge up attack kills some important enemy type in one hit but I can't remember which because it's been so long.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I really should use spells and arts more often, yeah. Descending dark is how I deal with the large jumpy guy in the narrow arena, but I still need to use stuff more. I should go search out the two spell upgrades I assume I'm missing, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I use spells a lot, and I really really love the charm that makes dash do damage, but I NEVER use nailmaster arts and I need to change that.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
You can spam attack when doing the spinning art to make it last longer. That’s never stated in-game and it makes it much better.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I really really love the charm that makes dash do damage

Oh my god yes

Pigbuster posted:

You can spam attack when doing the spinning art to make it last longer. That’s never stated in-game and it makes it much better.

Holy poo poo this makes it sound much better!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Minor update:

Alxprit posted:

To spare any spoilers, once the final boss is open to you, if you don't want to miss ANYTHING you should just go and fight it right away before you find a certain significant item that changes the ending.

This is usually the opposite of how I play stuff (get everything available before making Actual Progress) which is why I hadn't searched out the dreamers yet, but I eventually decided to do as this post recommends and just beeline to the final boss instead. The egg is now open (I assume) though I left off in Dirtmouth before going to check.

Dreamers: I thought they were going to be fights. Now I feel a little bad :( Only a little, though, because their plan sucked and I'm sure I can do better :colbert:

e: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY POOR CROSSROADS

Telum fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 30, 2019

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

That was my reaction as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

e: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY POOR CROSSROADS

There it is

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zaphod42 posted:

There it is

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Wave posted:

Back in the day before godmaster when trial was as hard as the game got Nailmaster's Glory was the secret trial of the fool tech that people were using and that won it for me. The charge up attack kills some important enemy type in one hit but I can't remember which because it's been so long.

it's the triple shot fuckers and the dashing armoured mosquitoes, both of those die to a single charged hit

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Zack Ater posted:

Dreamers: I thought they were going to be fights. Now I feel a little bad :( Only a little, though, because their plan sucked and I'm sure I can do better :colbert:

Fuckin' tell me about it. It completely failed to keep the things inside out, and only serves to keep things out from getting in.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

There it is

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Phobophilia posted:

Fuckin' tell me about it. It completely failed to keep the things inside out, and only serves to keep things out from getting in.

I mean it worked for a while, at least

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
I beat up this weird nerd called Soul Master and then he went whole hog and started ramming into me in ghost form???

If this is their idea of a fakeout second form then they got me good lmao

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh god that fucker. He stonewalled me hard.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Peanut! posted:

I beat up this weird nerd called Soul Master and then he went whole hog and started ramming into me in ghost form???

If this is their idea of a fakeout second form then they got me good lmao

The funny thing is that the fakeout is telegraphed by the lack of a hunter's journal update and lack of a victory fanfare, but you're so elated at your "victory" that it doesn't register and then oops you're getting repeatedly bodyslammed into the dust.

It's brilliant and I love it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

The funny thing is that the fakeout is telegraphed by the lack of a hunter's journal update and lack of a victory fanfare, but you're so elated at your "victory" that it doesn't register and then oops you're getting repeatedly bodyslammed into the dust.

Got caught by this in the pantheon today. I had completely forgotten about it. It was amazing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

SirSamVimes posted:

Lol I didn't get the Hunter's Journal until 80% through the game because I was scared of the six-eyed monster in the creepy cave :ohdear:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

SirSamVimes posted:

It's even better because he just throws this gigantic fuckoff screaming tantrum for like 10 seconds as part of it so it looks like he's absolutely dead.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I've only taken one attempt at the boss so far, figured I'd upgrade my nail again before I continue trying. But then I realized I was at a little over 10k geo and I would like to buy my charm back but that also eats into nail upgrade funds and oh hey I'm back at the colosseum again trying to fight for geo. Haven't gotten any further yet, the primal aspids aren't too bad but the mantis traitors really have my number. I should probably just go farm somewhere else instead.

I did unlock the sarcophagus, and also used the elegant key. I still have to find one more spell upgrade! Also still need to go finish the Hive. I don't remember how many charms I have left to get.

How many masks, soul containers, and charm notches are there?

Deckit posted:

That was my reaction as well.

Zaphod42 posted:

There it is

My poor crossroads :(

I'm not going to say it's bad, because it's probably functioning exactly as intended, but I have a visceral dislike of the heartbeat or whatever the pulsating noise is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The good news is you rarely have to go there once you're that far in the game, and the areas that get blocked aren't hard to go around.

But its such a betrayal of expectations, like when they kill the firelink keeper in dark souls

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I have perpetuated the cycle!

....but I can do better. Oh yes, I shall do better!
I assume :v:

91% complete, for anyone curious.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Zack Ater posted:

How many masks, soul containers, and charm notches are there?

9 total masks, 3 soul containers, 11 notches

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Gully Foyle posted:

9 total masks, three containers, 11 notches

Thank you! I'm 2 mask shards and 1 vessel fragment away from being maxed, then! I just got my last notch about an hour ago, too.

e: Just found the last vessel fragment!

I saw somewhere (in the achievements, I think?) that there's above 100% completion. Is that just completely finishing all of the base game and DLC, or is there some super hidden optional stuff?

Telum fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 1, 2019

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
I beat the Mantis Lords! Good lord, that was probably intended to be the first "git gud" moment out of many, I'm sure.

Any tips on where to go next? I've opened up Deepnest but I feel like there's a new area that's available now that I've got the groundpound fist.

Peanut! fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

I saw somewhere (in the achievements, I think?) that there's above 100% completion. Is that just completely finishing all of the base game and DLC, or is there some super hidden optional stuff?

Basically base game and DLC, yeah. Good luck with some of that DLC though.