Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i lowkey wish paralouges listed their rewards ahead of time

particularly when the internet isn't ontop of it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The paralogue reward structure seems very strange. Some of them are treasure troves of all sorts of good poo poo and sometimes a relic weapon or TWO (Flayn/Seteth) and then I did the Ashe/Catherine one and it was just. eh.

But also getting a really strong batallion for completing them rules

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm going to agree with all the people complaining about Marianne's paralogue. That was the only map so far I almost ran out of divine pulse charges in.

Still Marianne is great and it is worth it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

...Wow, the Black Eagle alternate route is cool but also batshit as gently caress.

Rhea is a murder dragon wtf

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hellioning posted:

I'm going to agree with all the people complaining about Marianne's paralogue. That was the only map so far I almost ran out of divine pulse charges in.

Still Marianne is great and it is worth it.

When do you get access to it?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Best boys ranking

S tier:
Ashe
Raphael
Alois

A:
Hubert
Sylvain

B:
Ferdinand
Hanneman
Dedue

C:
Dimitri
Claude

D:
Caspar
Ignatz

Felix:
Felix

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 31, 2019

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

When do you get access to it?

The first month after the timeskip, I think.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Just finished the Blue Lions route, it was shorter than I thought it would be but I guess that's fine when there's multiple different routes.

Edgelord's final boss form looked cool and all but went down easier than I expected. I probably should have picked Hard... but the mages in this level were just dicks so maybe not. Especially the one with an infinite spell that takes you down to 1hp.

Dimitri's ending was pretty happy I guess. Everything worked out in the end but the question of what the gently caress was up with Byleth didn't really get properly answered on this route... Still laughing that Claude never showed up again he actually just completely peaced out of plot relevancy. Guess I have to play Golden Deer next so I can figure out what his deal is.

I mean, BL ending spoilers As happy as you can be getting knifed by your first love and having to kill her. The hesitation he has on leaving her is actually pretty heart-wrenching. But that's also kinda the beauty of this game. Our heroes are all fundamentally broken in multiple ways that drive them to conflict and there is no magical fix/cure for their issues. Dimitri is still a walking bag of PTSD and he's still going to have nightmares of blood-soaked battlefields and the dead haunting him. He can at least make the world a better place while he can.

I honestly found every route in this game extremely good and tugging at the emotional moments.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Is whoever you meet in the Goddess Tower gender-locked to be of the opposite sex? And is it open to everyone? For example would it be possible to meet Rhea up there?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Goddess Tower visit is locked to students of the opposite sex, yes.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hellioning posted:

The Goddess Tower visit is locked to students of the opposite sex, yes.

It's not. I got Dorothea with female lead. (And I got to pick after talking to some NPC(?)). Probably has to be a potential S rank, though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like that this game has lower growths again.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When taking people out to lunch or doing lessons, some people have blue up arrows or red down arrows. Are these recommended or like extra benefit or something?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordiceius posted:

When taking people out to lunch or doing lessons, some people have blue up arrows or red down arrows. Are these recommended or like extra benefit or something?

It means they like or hate it with greater or worse benefits respectively

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Zore posted:

It means they like or hate it with greater or worse benefits respectively

And if people are already full motivation bar, I should pick other people, even if they don't get as much benefit, right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordiceius posted:

And if people are already full motivation bar, I should pick other people, even if they don't get as much benefit, right?

If you're using it to raise motivation yeah.

It does also give support points which can be useful if you want to poach a student or raise support levels

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Food funtime gives support with everyone involved, including yourself, and will max out motivation if it's a positive. Half if not, one if negative. So if you have no one else then yea, toss it at someone you want to gain support with or maybe a student who's not quite maxed out.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Usually I hate (January plot battle spoiler) a change of hair / eye color signifying a change of character (i.e. in bad fanfic or RWBY), but here I'll accept it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

...Wow, the Black Eagle alternate route is cool but also batshit as gently caress.

Rhea is a murder dragon wtf

The high ranking members of the church are all immortal demi-dogs 'n poo poo who've been manipulating various kingdoms and bloodlines to their own ends.

Edelgard did nothing wrong.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

should I wait to do the Alois/Shamir paralogue until I have Alois? I know some paralogues you get different things if you have the unit or something? I'm on black eagles, if it matters.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Gauntlets are stupid when your playing Blue Lions and most of the house is a bunch of jocks. My Dedue had almost never had more than 3 points a level but he kept putting them into STR, HP and DEF so slap some knuckles on him and he single handedly murder the entire map unless a wizard happens to fart in his direction. And then there's Felix who right out of the gate throws 5 damage onto every hit if he doesn't have a battalion and tends to be fast as hell so he can murder about anything in arms reach.

Even Annette had been getting weirdly high strength growth for me, she a score of 14 at level 16 before she dropped the habit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

rannum posted:

should I wait to do the Alois/Shamir paralogue until I have Alois? I know some paralogues you get different things if you have the unit or something? I'm on black eagles, if it matters.

He isn't recruitable until after it expires so go hog wild and do it nowm

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

It sucks if you recruit Lysithea she doesn’t come with double skill experience like if you’d raised her manually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Who's a good Levin Sword user? I'm in Golden Deer but willing to poach another student or two. Normally is say Lysithea but I just got this bonkers relic staff for her and there's no way a Levin Sword is gonna compete with her newfound tactical nuke capabilities.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ Dorothea? She's making a good dancer.

February, BE: do not talk to Edie until your last week of free time. Like the event with the kidnapping, this will eat your month.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zore posted:

He isn't recruitable until after it expires so go hog wild and do it nowm

Good to know, thanks!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

Who's a good Levin Sword user? I'm in Golden Deer but willing to poach another student or two. Normally is say Lysithea but I just got this bonkers relic staff for her and there's no way a Levin Sword is gonna compete with her newfound tactical nuke capabilities.

Regular swordsman still work, especially if you're working on mortal savant. My petra uses levin sword and it's just useful most of the time because she has 40 speed and resistance isn't a big stat outside of mages.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bogart posted:

^^ Dorothea? She's making a good dancer.

February, BE: do not talk to Edie until your last week of free time. Like the event with the kidnapping, this will eat your month.

It only eats like 5 days. So you only lose a day of lessons at absolute worst.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zore posted:

It only eats like 5 days. So you only lose a day of lessons at absolute worst.

The real kicker is it takes up the whole day, meaning your activity points go to waste if you talk to her first

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

Friend, you have one of the best levin sword users in the game, mostly because she makes the most use of it given her offensive spell list is eh.

It's Marianne!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Oh no, now Petra picked up a pair of Training Gauntlets+ and they somehow ended up being better than all my weapons and letting me ORKO a nearby enemy.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Are there any classes that can both fly and use magic? I'll be very disappointed if it turns out that making Marianne a fabulous pegasus is all for naught :(

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I did not know that soft boy Ashe had skills in swords and axes. Given that he already has higher strength than poor Caspar....I think I have my replacement axe user. Also I feel guilty recruiting all these students and never using them, but I'm hoping on the B rank support saving me from having to kill them... :ohdear:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Are there any classes that can both fly and use magic? I'll be very disappointed if it turns out that making Marianne a fabulous pegasus is all for naught :(

Nope

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

The Shortest Path posted:

Pray for Dark Flier appearing somewhere in the DLC. Just as I'll be praying for some way for people not named Edelgard, Hubert, or Lysithea to get any of the interesting dark magic.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Holy poo poo I managed to beat the Death Knight the first time when you're not supposed to.

So who to use this Dark Seal, Hubert or Lindhart?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

do I need to keep DK alive in Edelhards alt route 17?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dmboogie posted:

C-rank lowers it enough to recruit if you have any amount of focus on the stats they want, B-rank is basically free. there's no downside or falloff from spamming gifts as far as I can tell; and there's also no reason not to periodically attempt to recruit just to try and test the waters.

speaking of recruiting, i'm curious about how post-timeskip recruitment works. (black eagles timeskip spoilers) I didn't have any level of support with any of the Deers - Ignatius, Hilda, and Leonie ended up dead for real, but I had the option to recruit Lysithea. Are certain people just hard-coded to be recruitable no matter what; or did I just somehow have enough support points through dialogue choices and returning lost items?

Wait, you can do support events with characters who you haven't already recruited? I did not realize that. I guess it makes sense I haven't encountered any, since I've been focusing on my class for that (though the gift buying hasn't opened up yet; once that happened I can start spamming gifts at people to increase their support, since currently I'm limited to the ones I've found/grown).

Question for any Blue Lions - what do you guys generally do for the jobs each week (the Heavy Armor/Riding/Flying mission thing)? I don't have any obvious good pairs where both characters are good at Thing and have an end goal class that involves Thing. I've been just sort of alternating between Dedue and Annette with the Heavy Armor one (since that has a high chance of Perfect, even though I don't want Annette to do anything using Heavy Armor) and Sylvain and Ingrid for the Riding one (even though I don't want Ingrid to do anything involving Riding). Are those quests mostly good for the Support, the skills, or the reward?

Unrelated, but the C support between Ingrid and Ashe was cute. They did a good job of thinking through the dynamic between all the characters in the house, to the point where I feel strongly compelled to see what the relationship between non-house people is like for the members who have A ranks with them. It was the right choice to not have supports between literally everyone, and instead focus on ones that actually make sense.

Bogart posted:

Best boys ranking

Felix:
Felix

I like Felix...

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 31, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you can even unlock supports between two characters when neither are in your class if you take them out to eat enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Recruiting Dorothea was the best decision I ever made because she has the best post timeskip dialogue.