Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Would you say it feels bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The phrase "no worries". I'll usually say, "Oh, no problem" instead of "You're welcome," but I can't stand "No worries" as a response.

Maybe it's because I've noticed the one guy in the office I find annoying says it a lot, but I really don't like that phrase. Where the hell did it come from? Is "Hakuna Matata" to blame?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you’re old enough and from the US, I would say it started with Crocodile Dundee.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mojo1701a posted:

The phrase "no worries". I'll usually say, "Oh, no problem" instead of "You're welcome," but I can't stand "No worries" as a response.

Maybe it's because I've noticed the one guy in the office I find annoying says it a lot, but I really don't like that phrase. Where the hell did it come from? Is "Hakuna Matata" to blame?

I say it all the time and I do not care in the slightest

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you’re old enough and from the US, I would say it started with Crocodile Dundee.

I'm not sure where and when "no worries" entered my vocabulary but "not a problem" is definitely from Parker Lewis Can't Lose.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

I say it all the time and I do not care in the slightest

Same

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I also prefer "no problem" but will now make an effort to say "no worries" more often.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
No worries doesn't bother me nearly as much as signing every email with "cheers". Even if they actually are british/australian where it is used commonly it's still annoying. You are telling me to do something, don't say "cheers" like you're doing me a favor. Just say "Thanks," so I at least have the illusion of being appreciated.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

No worries doesn't bother me nearly as much as signing every email with "cheers". Even if they actually are british/australian where it is used commonly it's still annoying. You are telling me to do something, don't say "cheers" like you're doing me a favor. Just say "Thanks," so I at least have the illusion of being appreciated.

I'd prefer it if every times someone said the word "cheers" as thank you they would instead actually cheer. Like

"Hey, I hung up the laundry while you were out"
"YAAAAAAAYY! :neckbeard:"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nobody better say "cheers" unless I have an alcoholic beverage to finish in a single go right after its utterance.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Top lists that have a higher number than 10. Top 100 metal bands, top 20 FF fantasy games. Keep it small or such a list has no function.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

No "Top x" list is worthwhile. It is equivalent to "my favorite X ___". Which is fine to read if you want to hear other peoples' opinions, but nobody's top anything list on any topic will always match 100%. It is not a coincidence that the vast, vast majority of "best tv shows/movies/musicians" etc will be almost exclusively stuff released in the past decade.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Except some who will be on the list just because they were extremely popular at one time despite being extremely outdated and painfully average, like Alice Cooper. Trying to get a bit more into blues rock, I am somewhat familiar with Jack White and Led Zeppelin, but otherwise in the dark besides 2 underground albums I listen to. I like checking what people like since it increases the likelyhood of finding good music, but man it's so overwhelming.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Jul 31, 2019

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When you are an open person and open up personally about something deep and sad thats happened to you, and then people feel that its ok to spread the story around cause you didn't disclaimer it with "dont tell anybody this but..."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

don't say "cheers" like you're doing me a favor.
:confused:

Brawnfire posted:

Nobody better say "cheers" unless I have an alcoholic beverage to finish in a single go right after its utterance.
You take a sip, not down the whole drink all at once.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

:confused:

You take a sip, not down the whole drink all at once.

It's a big sip.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Jul 31, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

"Cheers" as a general thank you always sounds super sarcastic, it's like when people on forums write a troll post and sign it with "Thanks in advance" except worse because people do it in real life.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Considering how many people over 50 I've encountered who felt like they needed to teach me a lesson on why saying "No Problem" is bad and ruining society, I generally don't care what you use as a greeting/response.

People who really overuse exclamation points in emails do throw me off though.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bobjr posted:

Considering how many people over 50 I've encountered who felt like they needed to teach me a lesson on why saying "No Problem" is bad and ruining society, I generally don't care what you use as a greeting/response.

People who really overuse exclamation points in emails do throw me off though.

"Of course it's no problem, it's your job!" Fuckin' boomer assistant store manager at Staples who hates his life and takes it out on everyone else rear end bullshit right there

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

You're australian and probably use it all the time so you wouldn't understand. It's like when someone calls you "friend" but they're not. The positive connotation of the word in a vacuum doesn't match the content of the email/sentence.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

bobjr posted:

I am told that "kein Problem" is taking root in German and is causing consternation, both at the implication that it normally would be a problem, and in that it's an obvious calque from English.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Whispering in the office is much more distracting than just talking at a slightly lower volume. The raspy noise seems to carry more and when I hear whispering I start listening harder because my natural assumption is they are talking about me. Then when I piece enough together to realize they are just talking about something that doesn't even need to be clandestine it annoys me because I just wasted a bunch of time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whispering in the office is much more distracting than just talking at a slightly lower volume.
Whispering stands out whereas talking quietly is just a normal thing that people do. Things that stand out attract more attention than things we're used to. If you want to avoid notice you should try to behave in a way that is expected rather than in a way that will generate less noise or movement than the other people around you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tiggum posted:

Whispering stands out whereas talking quietly is just a normal thing that people do. Things that stand out attract more attention than things we're used to. If you want to avoid notice you should try to behave in a way that is expected rather than in a way that will generate less noise or movement than the other people around you.

It's like in comedies when characters are like "Act natural" and they proceed to just stand there whistling for no reason and I'm just like "How is that less suspicious?"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nothing I hate more than apologizing for something that wasn't my fault just to make peace, and then the fucker wants to re-litigate the whole thing as if the apology weren't obviously to move on from. gently caress that, I'll tell you exactly what I was holding back last time, this time, since you asked.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

"Mayonnaise and salad dressing are the same thing."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Brawnfire posted:

Nothing I hate more than apologizing for something that wasn't my fault just to make peace, and then the fucker wants to re-litigate the whole thing as if the apology weren't obviously to move on from. gently caress that, I'll tell you exactly what I was holding back last time, this time, since you asked.

Never apologize, even if you’re wrong.

ESPECIALLY if you’re wrong.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Shibawanko posted:

My friend is very skinny and light and we do this act where i carry him around under one arm like a wooden board

Now, if you want funny, you have to see my brother and is friend do the "Yoinks!" thing from Scooby Doo.

My brother is about 5' 10" and lightly built but strong, his friend is 6' 10" and broad shouldered. He does a trick where he jumps into my brothers arms like Scooby and it's hilariously impossible. The big guy does most of the work, but it comes off like you're watching a cartoon.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's fine when the picking up happens for a reason, but I've had strangers just pick me up like I'm a cat or something. Hooooo boy zero to mad so fast that it probably affects the weather or something.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Likewise, jumping on to someone's back is never a fun experience even if I like you. Get off.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mostlygray posted:

Now, if you want funny, you have to see my brother and is friend do the "Yoinks!" thing from Scooby Doo.

My brother is about 5' 10" and lightly built but strong, his friend is 6' 10" and broad shouldered. He does a trick where he jumps into my brothers arms like Scooby and it's hilariously impossible. The big guy does most of the work, but it comes off like you're watching a cartoon.

You need to get video of this.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Things switching to requiring me to download an app.

I don’t want to download a student ID app. I want to have a physical ID. I am thinking about lying and claiming to not have a smart phone.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Things switching to requiring me to download an app.

I don’t want to download a student ID app. I want to have a physical ID. I am thinking about lying and claiming to not have a smart phone.

Plane tickets on the phone make no sense to me. I'd rather have something tangible that is easy to remember to bring that will always be good once you have it in your possession, as opposed to something that basically ceases to exist if you forgot to charge your battery and it dies before boarding. I know they can just bring it up on their computer and print you a ticket, but then you'll be the last guy to board and it's just a whole ordeal that could have been prevented by just having a printed ticket from the beginning.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Why would having a physical ticket mean you're the last to board?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Why would having a physical ticket mean you're the last to board?

because you'd have to explain to the gate person that your phone died, wait for them to finish checking peoples' tickets and step back to their desk thing and print you one. Usually they're too busy to step away from the line for stuff like that.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Why not just scan the qr code printed on the ticket like a normal person?

edit: Oh I see, you're talking about if your phone died while you're in line to board. I was assuming that you, wanting a physical ticket, would have gotten one prior to boarding.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Why not just scan the qr code printed on the ticket like a normal person?

Plane tickets on the phone make no sense to me. I'd rather have something tangible that is easy to remember to bring that will always be good once you have it in your possession, as opposed to something that basically ceases to exist if you forgot to charge your battery and it dies before boarding.

the scenario was having it only on your phone, which can run out of battery, meaning theres no QR code to scan until they print you a new one, because you didn't print out a ticket in the first place, which is the superior way. I thought that was pretty clear.

e: yeah that's what I do, it's more of an observation of how everyone seems to only have it on their phone now. It's a second-hand peeve.

anyway the point is edgar is right - having physical copies is always going to be superior to digital and we don't need an app for every aspect of our lives.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Aug 1, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't download apps for anything since I live by the assumption that they're all data collecting spyware

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who feign stupidity to get out of doing work. I ordered dinner and the driver called and said "all I see are businesses" so I said "yes, the apartments are on the 2nd and third floor above them" and they just kept saying "I don't see apartments, what do you want me to do". What do you think I want you to do? Uber eats is spoiling other traditional delivery drivers into thinking they can tell customers to meet them at the car. I'm paying a 3.99 delivery fee plus a tip on top of that, the least you can do is climb two flights of stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“I love Israel they know how to deal with them there Muslims, as a Jew you must understand what I mean”

No rather as a Jew I remember when a genocidal ethnostate tried to kill all of us and that’s why I hate Israel

E: also timezones

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Aug 2, 2019