Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I just don’t understand why you’d run for the big ticket at 37. It would make a ton more sense if term limits weren’t a thing. Say he won and got 8 years, he’d be like 45 or whatever. Then what? gently caress off forever like other presidents? Or worldwide domination.......I think we all know where this leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

oh man guys now it's lit

1am Rick Santorum

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Harton posted:

I just don’t understand why you’d run for the big ticket at 37. It would make a ton more sense if term limits weren’t a thing. Say he won and got 8 years, he’d be like 45 or whatever. Then what? gently caress off forever like other presidents? Or worldwide domination.......I think we all know where this leads.

He's probably not running to win. He's running to get famous nationally so he can either be a senator or be in a cabinet. He literally says this in his book, "its the next step for him" not "it will let him help more people" or something like that.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Glasses Optional posted:

Is this really it? He was bad to poor folk and housing situations? Im not saying its nothing, but is this the source for "pete is evil and always lying" trope i see here?

I genuinely want to know, i want to make an informed decision.

Best evidence is his military service. He'll frequently talk about how he signed up because of 9/11. But note that while he was 19 when 9/11 actually happened, he only signed up for the military in 2009, a few months before his first political race. And he signed up for the navy reserves in landlocked state. As a result, when he deployed he served in the financial unit of navy intelligence. And yet despite the fact that he mostly dealt with spreadsheets in Kabul, he constantly talks about his courageous service. He talks about how it was dangerous, how he carried an assault weapon abroad so that people wouldn't need to carry it here, and, perhaps most emblematic, he said it was so dangerous that with time he had to learn to differentiate construction sounds from suicide bombers, despite the fact that while he was in Kabul there were no suicide bombings there. He was a desk jockey who unironically says stuff like "'It's not like I killed Bin Laden, but it was dangerous." It was very obvious that he signed up for political reasons while making sure that he had the safest assignment possible. He spent 6 months in Afghanistan and talks about it like saw action, instead of chasing spreadsheets in Afghanistan's safest area.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.

Judakel posted:

This person still doesn't understand that M4A is not just an expansion, but an improvement on the current Medicare system.

My mom thought the same thing. I feel like more than a few democratic policy planks suffer uphill battles due entirely to syntax.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

joepinetree posted:

Best evidence is his military service. He'll frequently talk about how he signed up because of 9/11. But note that while he was 19 when 9/11 actually happened, he only signed up for the military in 2009, a few months before his first political race. And he signed up for the navy reserves in landlocked state. As a result, when he deployed he served in the financial unit of navy intelligence. And yet despite the fact that he mostly dealt with spreadsheets in Kabul, he constantly talks about his courageous service. He talks about how it was dangerous, how he carried an assault weapon abroad so that people wouldn't need to carry it here, and, perhaps most emblematic, he said it was so dangerous that with time he had to learn to differentiate construction sounds from suicide bombers, despite the fact that while he was in Kabul there were no suicide bombings there. He was a desk jockey who unironically says stuff like "'It's not like I killed Bin Laden, but it was dangerous." It was very obvious that he signed up for political reasons while making sure that he had the safest assignment possible. He spent 6 months in Afghanistan and talks about it like saw action, instead of chasing spreadsheets in Afghanistan's safest area.

I didn’t know this entire story but now that I do I’m loling forever at it. What a pathetic rear end in a top hat.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Buttigeig is not a troop, he's an OCS

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ranter posted:

What I'm hearing here is that the concept of a salary needs to be abolished, all workers should be hourly, and unions should be mandatory.

I don’t want to be hourly and actually do remain ready to jump into work at any moment, or respond to work emails while at home. The main problem is at the government level, and Obama tried a band aid approach with his overtime rule which Trump immediately ripped off.

Edit: Bootjudge was a McKinsey consultant in Afghanistan, doing exactly what you’d expect someone of that background would do there. Did you really think his service was going to look like The Hurt Locker?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 31, 2019

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I don’t want to be hourly and actually do remain ready to jump into work at any moment, or respond to work emails while at home. The main problem is at the government level, and Obama tried a band aid approach with his overtime rule which Trump immediately ripped off.

Edit: Bootjudge was a McKinsey consultant in Afghanistan, doing exactly what you’d expect someone of that background would do there. Did you really think his service was going to look like The Hurt Locker?

Of course we didnt think his service would look like the Hurt Locker, but he sure makes it sound like the Hurt Locker. Which is the problem, i.e. that hes a lying sack of poo poo who joined the military expressly to advance his political career.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Judakel posted:

This person still doesn't understand that M4A is not just an expansion, but an improvement on the current Medicare system.

what a peculiar misunderstanding to have.

why would anyone hold this opinion?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Judakel posted:

Warren still does not have healthcare in her Issues page. Bernie is the only option.

Maybe she had the correct takeaway from 2016 that "look at my webpage" is the worst loving thing. I'm actually ashamed that Bernie plugged his site. Nobody will go there because you gave the URL, my man.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Reverend Dr posted:

Officer worker with troop characteristics

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Well, here's a Buttgieg quote:
"On the ground, the realities of war were unavoidable. The new normal included sprinting to the nearest bunker at the sound of insurgent rockets impacting nearby, learning firsthand how to tell the difference between a construction noise and a suicide bomb, and, on dozens of missions outside the wire, anxiously scanning the road at all times for signs of an attack."

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://twitter.com/theyoungturks/status/1156441329154629633?s=21

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bernie and Warren came out real strong and got hit after hit. I think they cooled off a bit in the second half but not in a bad way. It was a way better performance from Bernie and he largely avoided that trap he has of turning every question back to his mission statement. Warren did well enough to prove the first one wasn't a fluke of being at the kiddie table. A good night for both that should keep their momentum going.

The only people outside this thread I've ever heard praise Williamson are the weirdo mystical christians in my life who when I get angry at some racist poo poo Trump or the Republicans did start rambling about how I shouldn't pay attention to news and let hate in and they don't do hate they only do love and blah blah blah. Which is basically my opinion on Williamson except she is willing to admit racism is a thing. Also her accent weirds me out. That's not fair but its true. And she's insane so its not really a factor.

Buttieg did well enough to justify him hanging around.

Everyone else was basically running to be Meghan McCain's hypothetical option or Warren and Bernie's tackling dummies.

edit: As always this is all dumb show and doesn't change my actual opinion and is only meaningful in terms of narratives and momentum.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I'm watching whatever half of the debate they're showing on CNN right now and holy poo poo Bernie and Warren are rocking it. Bernie is doing so, so much better than the first one too -- I was really worried he was too old for this. Not anymore! Just get rid of everyone else. Oh man Buttigieg makes my skin crawl. He reminds of of Sideshow Bob as a politician.

Also did Klobuchar just say her friend's son died because he couldn't afford insulin? Holy poo poo lady, if she's your friend why didn't you help out her son with a few bucks?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Reverend Dr posted:

sounds more like an mos tbh

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Best moments are when someone mentions Bernie, the camera cuts to him, and he's chugging that mug of vodka

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

what a peculiar misunderstanding to have.

why would anyone hold this opinion?

It doesn't help that when people say poo poo like "Medicare Plus," it's always considerably worse.

Delthalaz posted:

Best moments are when someone mentions Bernie, the camera cuts to him, and he's chugging that mug of vodka

Yeah, he had great looks of contempt on his face while doing so as well, and they were always 100% deserved.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/johndelaney/status/1156378165952036866?s=21

NOT OWNED

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

Elizabeth Warren is, of course, a candidate known for not having any policy plans and just using slogans.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Majorian posted:

It doesn't help that when people say poo poo like "Medicare Plus," it's always considerably worse.

look, buddy, let me have my moment of triumph

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.
I think my favourite part of the debate (aside from Warren killing a man live on stage) was the like 20 minutes the people polling at 1% or lower spent saying how they were the only electable candidates with a straight face. Straight men that capable of not cracking up at absurdity are worth their weight in gold in comedy.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Craptacular! posted:

Well, kinda?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I know I shouldn't be surprised at how dumb people in the media can be, but how does anyone think this giant baby idiot did well tonight?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

joepinetree posted:

I had no idea grover was running for president

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Marxalot posted:

Well, kinda?

Becoming a military accountant so you can take pictures of yourself in the barracks for when you run for office it's the definition of sociopath.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Majorian posted:

I know I shouldn't be surprised at how dumb people in the media can be, but how does anyone think this giant baby idiot did well tonight?

Some people think that getting as much time as he did was a net positive long-term; you weren't talking about him before, but you're talking about him now!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Guys, I'm worried that Nate suffered massive head trauma and no one is taking him in for treatment.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1156395522426466304

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Majorian posted:

We can go dumber.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1156410530468454400?s=20

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Glasses Optional posted:

Is this really it? He was bad to poor folk and housing situations? Im not saying its nothing, but is this the source for "pete is evil and always lying" trope i see here?

I genuinely want to know, i want to make an informed decision.

he's been standing up for the cops in his town after they murdered a black person. also he pushed the first black police chief of south bend out of the job, cause said police chief recorded his underlings being racist shitbirds and it was a bad thing to record them (but not actually provably illegal)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Eh, that analysis isn't crazy because there is a point that makes sense in there. Propping up Bullock when he is calling to rein nuclear fire against other nations and can barely answer a question is a whole level of insanity.

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Re: Buttcudgel, i see the points on folks downing on him saying hes using his service somehow disingenuously. I guess I don't buy that it makes him an evil liar though.

I joined the reserves a week after 9/11 in a land locked state, and while my job in Iraq was adjacent to what the Hurt Locker depicted (hated that movie for inaccuracies) and i have photos of myself like Pete does above, i guess its hard for me to automatically reject him because of those passages in his book. I dont see them as incorrecr because you DID have to train on that stuff, and i actually experienced some of it.
Because my experience so mirrors his own minus the whiteness and privilege.

So..is there anything besides the military service that makes him an evil dishonest person? This isnt the only thread I've seen that said here and thats the most explanation ive seen, his military service.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Glasses Optional posted:

Re: Buttcudgel, i see the points on folks downing on him saying hes using his service somehow disingenuously. I guess I don't buy that it makes him an evil liar though.

I joined the reserves a week after 9/11 in a land locked state, and while my job in Iraq was adjacent to what the Hurt Locker depicted (hated that movie for inaccuracies) and i have photos of myself like Pete does above, i guess its hard for me to automatically reject him because of those passages in his book. I dont see them as incorrecr because you DID have to train on that stuff, and i actually experienced some of it.
Because my experience so mirrors his own minus the whiteness and privilege.

So..is there anything besides the military service that makes him an evil dishonest person? This isnt the only thread I've seen that said here and thats the most explanation ive seen, his military service.

Did you seriously miss all the godawful poo poo he got up to as mayor that a bunch of posters oosted

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Welp, throw Marianne Williamson in with the rest of the pre-diabetic, brain-addled slice of the Boomer/X-er generation.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That poo poo actually made it into print lmao

what the gently caress

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I wonder if Engels, Marx, Lenin said anything about the downsides of spirituality in the public sphere, like perhaps spiritualism is a sham to get people to accept lower real standards of living from their overlords

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Delthalaz posted:

Also did Klobuchar just say her friend's son died because he couldn't afford insulin? Holy poo poo lady, if she's your friend why didn't you help out her son with a few bucks?

Pretty sure when a politician uses the phrase "my friend" they mean someone they met on the campaign trail and want to use them as a prop to illustrate part of their platform, not someone they've known in a personal context for years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In a sane country, mayor Pete 's military service would be used against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

golly gee willikers you don't suppose that dialectical materialism has something to do with the material world?