Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigRoman posted:

So I've been playing a Norse 769 game, and have been doing really well....then Khazaria managed to unite the tribes and declare themselves Genghis Khan. In 839.

Luckily, they are on the other side of the map, but how hosed am I? Any suggestions?

As the Norse? Probably not very. The AI isn't great as nomads and I'm pretty sure if one of them manages to unite the tribes like that, they don't get all the event troops that the Temujin event would normally spawn with, just whatever they would be able to get from their (admittedly large) population. They will likely not really get any farther into Europe than any other nomadic faction normally would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

AnEdgelord posted:

So this is the last pdx game (besides vicky 2) that I dont understand how to play yet, and now that Ive got eu4 mostly figured out Im feeling the siren call of the middle ages.

Are there any good video series for learning the game in its current state? I looked at the op but its all text lps which I have a harder time absorbing information from.

Arumba's old video tutorial is still basically a good beginner's guide. It's missing stuff from Holy Fury but you should be able to read a list of features from that one, if you even own it. Once you do that, start off as Dublin in the 1066 start date and just learn as you go.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Sicily/apulia 1066 as robert the fox is better than any Ireland start and not really that much harder for newbies

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

So this is the last pdx game (besides vicky 2) that I dont understand how to play yet, and now that Ive got eu4 mostly figured out Im feeling the siren call of the middle ages.

Are there any good video series for learning the game in its current state? I looked at the op but its all text lps which I have a harder time absorbing information from.

There's a legitimate argument to be made that this game is more fun when you don't know what you're doing. It's very good either way, and Arumba is solid as others have said, but as ever I say just start playing it and then post about the misadventures your inbred idiot heirs get up to.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GHOST_BUTT posted:

There's a legitimate argument to be made that this game is more fun when you don't know what you're doing. It's very good either way, and Arumba is solid as others have said, but as ever I say just start playing it and then post about the misadventures your inbred idiot satanist heirs get up to.

ftfy

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I played one game with Holy Fury as Barcelona after it came out, but haven't had time since. Just started a game as the Alexiad, and I'm a bit confused. How is the Byzantine's new Imperial administration supposed to work?

I made a duke a viceroy king of Epirus and his relations with me is 100. Yet he won't vote for me. I'd understand if he was voting for himself, but he's voting for the marshal. Why?

Is the only way to get people to vote for me by buying a favor? How does that work? Does it lock in their vote for two years? Do deceitful characters have a chance to betray their promise?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is the only way to get people to vote for me by buying a favor? How does that work? Does it lock in their vote for two years? Do deceitful characters have a chance to betray their promise?

Yeah pretty much. You right click on their portrait and hope that “buy favor” isn’t grayed out. Yes. No.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey, my inbred satanist heir isn't an idiot! She is having an affair with literally every single person on the council, though. I'm hoping for death from exhaustion during a council orgy.

Edit: So Christian Egypt has become one of the global superpowers and has been gobbling up land around me including a few of my provinces. Currently ruled by a queen with a nick name "the Witch-Hunter" so you know my satanist doesn't like her.

At least until I threw a satan party and invited her. Now we're best buds.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 30, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Humble Bundle has a CKII bundle up, is it missing anything essential?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Lazyhound posted:

As far as I could see, it had all the non-cosmetic DLC. Picked up the highest tier just to get Holy Fury and couple of other I had been missing.

Pretty drat easy deal for anyone who hasn't played the game and is interested, or is missing more of the DLCs.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
The Ruler Designer DLC, if you want to create your own character. Past that, the remaining DLCs that aren't in the bundle are cosmetic and I wouldn't miss them personally.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
It's a steal at $15 for all the major DLCs.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

The Tier 1 package is perfect for me because I’ve only purchased way of life and legacy of Rome.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jolene posted:

It's a steal at $15 for all the major DLCs.

Seriously. :eyepop: Holy Fury is still "new" and this completely dunks on any deals offered on Steam.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lazyhound posted:

That is a drat good deal!

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Lazyhound posted:

Oh my god...

Just last night I was planning out my DLC purchases paychecks down the line. What a deal.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Yeah pretty much. You right click on their portrait and hope that “buy favor” isn’t grayed out. Yes. No.

I was near pulling out my hair last night trying to figure out why I couldn't nominate my son.

It's because of his club foot! :froggonk:

Well, I just had a 2nd son who's a genius, so hopefully I can live another 15 years.

Map game is going well, conquered the two duchies that are right across the straight. I also conquered Wallachia and gave it to my brother who's currently my heir. Put a claimant on the throne of Serbia and got them into the Empire that way.

Unfortunately, I think the voters keep changing their mind, because half the time my brother's my heir, and half the time it's my club footed son. If this is working the way it's supposed, I think it's pretty lovely design. If I designate my brother the heir, that's who I should play next, even if I lose the election.

Strangely, I made a claimant duchess of Sicily, yet she did not become my vassal. As a dejure part of my Empire, shouldn't she have? Or does that only work for the lord who should be the direct liege (King of Sicily, which doesn't currently exist).

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

I was near pulling out my hair last night trying to figure out why I couldn't nominate my son.

It's because of his club foot! :froggonk:

Have you tried making him a commander and getting his leg hacked off in battle?

Full disclosure I have no idea if that would work.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I've had CKII forever and never really gave it a go but plan on finally getting around to it due to this humble bundle and was wondering if I can just enable all the dlc from the start or is there specific ones meant for more advanced play that I should leave off until I get a better handle on things?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
All of them should be turned on except maybe Sunset Invasion if you're a boring person.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sivek posted:

I've had CKII forever and never really gave it a go but plan on finally getting around to it due to this humble bundle and was wondering if I can just enable all the dlc from the start or is there specific ones meant for more advanced play that I should leave off until I get a better handle on things?

Always have all DLC enabled. Except maybe Sunset Invasion which is only if you want to have some ahistorical hoards show up. The rest of the DLC's do things like replace some clunky mechanics, allow earlier starting dates, let you pick starting characters from different locations of the world, and add a lot more events and things to do in. CK2 is a giant sandbox and it's always better to have all the toys in play.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Leave Sunset Invasion enabled, you can turn it off in the game rules. But just play with all the DLC, you gotta learn it eventually and it'll be easier to take it all in at once.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Cool, thanks for the answers.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Oh, you have a clubfoot, do you? Don't worry, for I, the best surgeon in the realm can fix that! *amputates foot* *slices off face* There, fixed! :haw:

EDIT: Had a brain-fart and forgot how CK2 surgery works. Fixed my post.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 31, 2019

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rynoto posted:

All of them should be turned on except maybe Sunset Invasion if you're a boring person.

Sunset Invasion needs some work, but only to make them spawn in more locations. Somewhere I have a mod that makes them spawn anywhere from Lubeck to Cairo, but I haven't looked at it since the 2.6 days.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'd be fonder of sunset invasion if there were like double the associated events and half the event troops

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fuligin posted:

I'd be fonder of sunset invasion if there were like double the associated events and half the event troops

In my current game, the invasion kicked off pretty early as did the mongols. Both of them were just about instantly wiped out taking most of Islam with them. They needed more troops.

Also, you know that any attempt to fix a club foot by losing a leg will just result in the good leg getting taken off.

Edit: So how many times can you build up for an attack, get your claim on the territory of a carefully chosen victim that you can definitely beat, take out their army in a rough battle that leaves you with just enough to siege out province, and then the ruler you're attacking keels over dead and their replacement is a much, much better fighter and happens to bring an army with three times as many troops as the original one did? Because it's now happened to me three times in a row with the character who I'm trying to dig out of a hole.

I'm pretty sure the "FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKK!!" I let out the third time in a row this happened could be heard in the next state. At least this character probably won't survive getting out of the crippling debt this time.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 31, 2019

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Sivek posted:

Definitely dont play with conclave on the first time. I wouldn't turn it on for several games actually until you really know the mechanics

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I did it: played through to 1453 without the dude dying.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I did it: played through to 1453 without the dude dying.

Nice! :D My record is something around 420 years (he died less than ten years before the end of the game though, from memory) so that's great. Did he get up to many adventures? (I thankfully thought to keep a record of what my possessed lunatic ruler did, since he ended up having a very eventful life)

EDIT: Wow, he had surprisingly few kids though, I must confess. My immortal had so many I could only see a tiny bit of their portraits! How many wives did yours have over the years, out of curiosity?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 31, 2019

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Oberst posted:

Definitely dont play with conclave on the first time. I wouldn't turn it on for several games actually until you really know the mechanics

Counterpoint: it only makes the game more complicated when you’re a King/Emperor level leader and your first game probably shouldn’t be one of those anyway.

If you’re a count/duke it only makes the game better and hardly more complicated. It makes your council actually be important and it adds a lot more drama to the game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Weavered posted:

Counterpoint: it only makes the game more complicated when you’re a King/Emperor level leader and your first game probably shouldn’t be one of those anyway.

If you’re a count/duke it only makes the game better and hardly more complicated. It makes your council actually be important and it adds a lot more drama to the game.

Yeah, this. I mean, it's all personal preference really, but I feel that you're simply not doing yourself any favours by locking yourself out of mechanics like that. Just start off as a count/duke and generally by the time you're a powerful king, you'll have a firm enough grasp on the mechanics to know not to give the council powers willy-nilly, etc. (While still reaping the other benefits of the expansion)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Wow, he had surprisingly few kids though, I must confess. My immortal had so many I could only see a tiny bit of their portraits! How many wives did yours have over the years, out of curiosity?
Yeah for about 300 years he didn't have a dick.

Satan helped him grow it back.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Yeah for about 300 years he didn't have a dick.

Satan helped him grow it back.

Oh, nice - what a top bloke! (I hope Arthur read the fine-print in any deal made with him, though) That would certainly explain the lack of kids, heh

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Mutilated characters are not eligible for inheritance under imperial elective.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Strangely, I made a claimant duchess of Sicily, yet she did not become my vassal. As a dejure part of my Empire, shouldn't she have? Or does that only work for the lord who should be the direct liege (King of Sicily, which doesn't currently exist).

Any ideas on this?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

One of the most CK2 things about CK2 is that immortal women become infertile but immortal men don't. Also that woman who will look like a beautiful teenager until the end of days still stops getting opinion bonuses as soon as she turns 40.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I've definitely forgotten some rule or there's definitely something going wrong with pressing claims.

Just pressed a claim for Asia Minor and the guy didn't automatically become my vassal. He was Greek and orthodox so he said yes, but that should have been automatic.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
He needs to be your vassal or of your dynasty. Give him a barony next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I bought the bundle because it had 6 dlcs i did not, and now i am slowly conquering my way out of Sri Lanka and taking over India for Buddhism.

203 years into the game i managed to get an empire finally. Meanwhile Buddhism in Nepal and co is at an all time low, multiple cultures up there have switched to Tao and the chinese lovers have gotten buddhism moral authority down to 14%. The only holy site still under Buddhist control is under a buddhist person, but in a tao-led kingdom.

So my goal is now to cut a bloody swath out of India to destroy the chinese and save Buddhism

I'm surprised how well multi-stacking castles still works. I have my capital province with 4 castles on it personally owned by me, and on its own i can call up 14kish guys without angering my vassals. That plus my 5k retinue (visible above) is pretty easily able to handle most armies I have seen thus far.

Edit: Also despite wanting to murder china, i currently have 3 second tier trading posts along the silk road and got the chinese boon to enhance their value a lot, so I'm raking in almost 100 gold a month while my capital levys are raised.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 31, 2019