Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Dorothea & Ingrid really, really feel like they should have an A rank to the point where I wonder if some of these CB only support lines will get expanded to A rank (& dare I say....A+???) in one of the dlc packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ahahaha holy poo poo seeing Catherine in the back of the class when I nabbed her. The gently caress can I teach you?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

rannum posted:

Dorothea & Ingrid really, really feel like they should have an A rank to the point where I wonder if some of these CB only support lines will get expanded to A rank (& dare I say....A+???) in one of the dlc packs.
i'm not sure how that would have worked considering like all of dorothea's A supports have romantic paired endings regardless of gender and even though she loves to flirt with ingrid, ingrid is especially uninterested compared to the others

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I dislike how many maps get reused in paralogues, Like I think I've been in this walled town map like a dozen times already.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm playing Golden Deer right now and I recruited Dorothea to have another offensive magic user, and Felix since Byleth is the only real sword user on the team. I don't plan to recruit any more students.

I'm playing as female Byleth so I ended up accidentally recruiting Sylvain in chapter 2 immediately when I asked, even though my intent was just to find out stat requirements. In hindsight I wish I hadn't because I benched him immediately since he wasn't who I wanted. I decided I'd rather leave interaction with him to my future Blue Lions playthrough.

I love all of my Golden Deer students and Ignatz is precious, but after getting Dorothea, Felix, Flayn, and Catherine I'm not sure how much use he'll be. He's an archer but his damage isn't so good. In the chapter 6 mission I had him mostly fighting enemy mages because his res was high enough that the spells did little or no damage. I had plans to reclass him as a Thief, and then Assassin, but I don't feel I really need to do it. Claude is the monster archer and I heave Leonie also keeping up bow skills as a Pegasus Knight.

In the end I wish this game had more adjutant slots so I didn't have to feel like I was leaving anyone behind or juggle characters between missions. I'm attached to my precious students.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
post timeskip weekends are so boring. Almost everyone has hit their key skills, the monastery is half empty, and there aren't even any more lost items

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Caidin posted:

I dislike how many maps get reused in paralogues, Like I think I've been in this walled town map like a dozen times already.

Same for all auxiliary battles, but at least it's an issue they are aware of since the first DLC will add new maps for those battles.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

post timeskip weekends are so boring. Almost everyone has hit their key skills, the monastery is half empty, and there aren't even any more lost items

I'd bet the DLC that adds new activities does something to flesh out the post-time skip monastery.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

imo they really missed a trick by just not having the post-timeskip stuff be tellius style base menus

for starters itd prevent the weird cruft of 'alright gang we're marching to the bridge' *sit around for 30 days* 'alright we're at the bridge now i guess'

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm running into the issue of, I wanna use Ferdie because he has supports with EVERYONE because he's properly in my class, and while he's a decent unit....Sylvain has the ace in his sleeve of his lance and his special traits and like...it's hard to not use him because they make him so strong

I guess my fault for building them both as cavaliers with the intention of being paladin. I was gonna use both and make Ferdie a Wyvern Knight, but the tiny deployment limit has kinda nipped that in the bud for me. Ingrid is enough flying.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

I'm running into the issue of, I wanna use Ferdie because he has supports with EVERYONE because he's properly in my class, and while he's a decent unit....Sylvain has the ace in his sleeve of his lance and his special traits and like...it's hard to not use him because they make him so strong

I guess my fault for building them both as cavaliers with the intention of being paladin. I was gonna use both and make Ferdie a Wyvern Knight, but the tiny deployment limit has kinda nipped that in the bud for me. Ingrid is enough flying.

You can always use more flying imo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

imo they really missed a trick by just not having the post-timeskip stuff be tellius style base menus

for starters itd prevent the weird cruft of 'alright gang we're marching to the bridge' *sit around for 30 days* 'alright we're at the bridge now i guess'

Yeah, being absolutely wedded to the fact we have one major battle on the last day of every month is more than a little wonky in practice. Even in the school phase where it kinda works, you still have all the times you just sit on your rear end for a month while you know someone is about to attack a village or whatever.

Also so much of the Monastery is pointless. Did we really need to be able to go into everyone's copy/pasted room. Does anything ever even happen on the roof or in the second floor dorms.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Andrast posted:

You can always use more flying imo

Certainly possible. Really wish default deployment was 11 instead of ten, I'd feel much less like I was leaving just one more person thought would be cool to have around. :v:

Current endgame line up I'm planning on is

Byleth - Personal Class
Edelgard - Personal Class
Hubert - Dark Bishop
Dorothea - Gremory
Petra - Assassin
Ferdinand - Paladin/Sylvain - Paladin
Lindhardt - Bishop
Bernadetta - Sniper
Caspar - armor knight/Ashe - Hero (poor Caspar has been brutally hosed by stats)
That leaves just one slot open, and I have Ingrid as a flyer and Lysithea as another mage goddess I want to fill it. I could just cut Caspar/Ashe entirely and fit both, though that'd be just Ingrid for spears and she's not exactly overflowing with strength skill ups. You know, is there a good class to just farm strength skill ups on because I hate seeing my dedicated melee with less than 20?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 31, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Seconding that the Goddess Tower scene is not gender-locked, I'm playing female Byleth and got Edelgard. Maybe it's only the ones that are also same-sex romance options though?

Also the more I see of Sylvain's supports the more I warm up to him. Same with Ferdinand, really. They both seem like they would be really obnoxious turds when you first meet them but they're really not.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chocolate Bunny posted:

This guy is nice to his students and judges a dorky dance competition (along with 2 other adults, are they also paedos then?) clearly he must be up to something sinister. What a creepy take.

He's deliberately getting close to Flayn even when he keeps getting told to cut it out.
While I'm not down with the controlling nature of her brother I'm still saying it's weird that he's pushing it.

Everyone I know playing in real life thinks he's weirdly creepy and I'm surprised you think it's a troll that I'd say it tbh.

lih posted:

i'm not sure how that would have worked considering like all of dorothea's A supports have romantic paired endings regardless of gender and even though she loves to flirt with ingrid, ingrid is especially uninterested compared to the others

It still feels a bit weird that they get their quest and can't even get to A rank!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The rooms could have been cool if they had more detail. They probably should have ditched that one courtyard area with the flower petals on the ground because for whatever reason the game's performance craters when you pass through there.

But I'll fight to the death for the Cat Alley beside the cathedral even though I think I've seen one (1) blue shiny there the whole game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taear posted:

He's deliberately getting close to Flayn even when he keeps getting told to cut it out.
While I'm not down with the controlling nature of her brother I'm still saying it's weird that he's pushing it.

Everyone I know playing in real life thinks he's weirdly creepy and I'm surprised you think it's a troll that I'd say it tbh.
He's literally just making jokes that she rolls her eyes at, both him and Flayn say as much.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

But I'll fight to the death for the Cat Alley beside the cathedral even though I think I've seen one (1) blue shiny there the whole game.

I will never forgive them for not making it so you can pet the kitties. Seems like a pretty obvious oversight.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

The rooms could have been cool if they had more detail. They probably should have ditched that one courtyard area with the flower petals on the ground because for whatever reason the game's performance craters when you pass through there.

The bit where the online characters appear craters me and I don't even have it attached to an online account!
Maybe the game always treats them as there.

What I find a problem with the monastery is that moving around on the screen for fast travel never seems to take you to where you want to be. If I'm in the stables and I go left it should take me to the entrance hall as that's left on the map, but it doesn't! It's like behind the scenes it's a list and you're scrolling up and down that rather than it going off the map.

Endorph posted:

He's literally just making jokes that she rolls her eyes at, both him and Flayn say as much.

I dunno maybe it's because my parents are teachers, that poo poo doesn't fly at all. I know it's a boarding school but still.
And when Manuela said he was judging it was in a "Heh, that little creep" way.

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 31, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Inverness posted:

I'm playing Golden Deer right now and I recruited Dorothea to have another offensive magic user, and Felix since Byleth is the only real sword user on the team. I don't plan to recruit any more students.

I'm playing as female Byleth so I ended up accidentally recruiting Sylvain in chapter 2 immediately when I asked, even though my intent was just to find out stat requirements. In hindsight I wish I hadn't because I benched him immediately since he wasn't who I wanted. I decided I'd rather leave interaction with him to my future Blue Lions playthrough.

I love all of my Golden Deer students and Ignatz is precious, but after getting Dorothea, Felix, Flayn, and Catherine I'm not sure how much use he'll be. He's an archer but his damage isn't so good. In the chapter 6 mission I had him mostly fighting enemy mages because his res was high enough that the spells did little or no damage. I had plans to reclass him as a Thief, and then Assassin, but I don't feel I really need to do it. Claude is the monster archer and I heave Leonie also keeping up bow skills as a Pegasus Knight.

In the end I wish this game had more adjutant slots so I didn't have to feel like I was leaving anyone behind or juggle characters between missions. I'm attached to my precious students.

Make Ignatz an assassin with Levin Sword and a long bow. He can't be beaten. He is my allslayer.

I'm excited to play the other houses. Are the routes completely different? I'll probably go lions next since I know the least about what they're up to.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sounds like your community's what hosed up if adults can't talk and joke around with kids

Signed, also a teacher

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Honestly the only impression I have of Aloïs is that he's a big old goofy dad who likes to fish and tell awful dad jokes and so far he rocks. Maybe there's some sinister support conversation somewhere but if so I haven't seen it.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
So, is there any reason to try to keep Ladislava and Randolph alive in the first Black Eagle Strike Force mission? They keep charging down either flank, and while I can get to the first bosses before they suicide themselves on them, they then keep charging into the much larger and more concentrated second wave and getting murked. I've given up on saving their troops and honestly I'm fed up with them, but if each gives a stat boost item or extra large gold pile (or if they actually die and I miss out on conversations) then I guess I'll just turn up the aggro dial and just head straight for the boss to end the mission before L+R get a chance to murder themselves.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 31, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Shinji117 posted:

So, is there any reason to try to keep Ladislava and Randolph alive in the first Black Eagle Strike Force mission? They keep charging down either flank, and while I can get to the first bosses before they suicide themselves on them, they then keep charging into the much larger and more concentrated second wave and getting murked.

Randolph died in that mission for me and yet shows up in the exploration segment immediately following it, so as far as I can tell it makes no difference. Neutral allies in this game have a ridiculous tendency to suicide themselves into the first available enemy unit if you don't throw a steady stream of healing at them, including the loving Death Knight.

Speaking of weird minor characters... who the hell is (end of February battle) Metodey!? Am I supposed to know who that guy is before he shows up? He looks kind of important but I've never seen that dude before.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Why is it so hard to invite students for tea? Goddamnit Annette, spend quality tea time with me already!

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Honestly the only impression I have of Aloïs is that he's a big old goofy dad who likes to fish and tell awful dad jokes and so far he rocks.

This is the only and correct answer.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

jimmydalad posted:

Why is it so hard to invite students for tea? Goddamnit Annette, spend quality tea time with me already!

You can savescum teatime for some reason. Save, ask a student out, if they say no, reload and try again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Alois seems like a cool guy that likes fishing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FETH DLC 1: The Crimes of Alois

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

jimmydalad posted:

The worst thing about the teatimes is when you can't quite find what they want to talk about and get two wrong in a row.
Oh my god it's so unbelievably awkward.

Terper posted:

Sounds like your community's what hosed up if adults can't talk and joke around with kids

Signed, also a teacher

When the person's parent figure has told you not to do it over and over? That's what makes it weird to me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's really weird to try and find an ulterior motive for Alois judging the dance when he straight up tells you this time of year reminds him of how he met his wife and she's such a great dancer and he loves her so much. Which I think kinda explains it.

Anyway, I think i'm at the point where the game is starting to push me into dating someone and i'm beginning to think it's going to be difficult to advise the game that every character has more interesting relationships with people not named Byleth so i'm not too fussed about it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Taear posted:

The worst thing about the teatimes is when you can't quite find what they want to talk about and get two wrong in a row.

No, you know what the worst thing is? Reacting correctly after you get three good conversations and they tell you something about themselves. I don't think I've ever gotten those correct. At one point, I don't remember who, talked about how they'd managed to accomplish something they wanted to do, and the options were "Praise", "Commend" and something else. Well, commending them was apparently the wrong thing to do because they got real sad about it! Other times the options are like between "Nod", "Sip tea" and "Admonish" and it feels like all the options are jerk options. At least the conversation topics are somewhat possible to figure out from personality traits.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

No, you know what the worst thing is? Reacting correctly after you get three good conversations and they tell you something about themselves. I don't think I've ever gotten those correct. At one point, I don't remember who, talked about how they'd managed to accomplish something they wanted to do, and the options were "Praise", "Commend" and something else. Well, commending them was apparently the wrong thing to do because they got real sad about it! Other times the options are like between "Nod", "Sip tea" and "Admonish" and it feels like all the options are jerk options. At least the conversation topics are somewhat possible to figure out from personality traits.

Ah yea that's a pain too although I'm not entirely sure how much relation you lose out on with that bit.
It's a random stab in the dark and I've only got it right twice.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So I've now finished the Black Eagles Church Destruction route and boy was it something else, The last mission in the burning city was a real headache, fire patches everywhere that burn all non fliers and rear end in a top hat giant robots being immune to magic which was half my team, the Immaculate One was a real cool fight though.

I should mention that I loved that the dragon's roar was just the voice actress yelling ROARRR

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 31, 2019

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You can savescum teatime for some reason. Save, ask a student out, if they say no, reload and try again.

That’s what I’ve been doing. The fact that it’s random makes it infuriating but I do need them supports.

Taear posted:

I sort of love the aspect of “oh god this pack of good conversation sucks” is a nice bit of realism. Though I end up resetting if I don’t get like perfect convo to spam gifts and then they say no and my sanity grows ever smaller.

I also am poaching the entire school. The amount of free time you end up with when you get high prpfessir levels is really nice, but slightly exploitative.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

jimmydalad posted:

I also am poaching the entire school. The amount of free time you end up with when you get high prpfessir levels is really nice, but slightly exploitative.

I feel like by focusing on Leoni at first it ruined my experience because I tried and tried and she wouldn't go to B. By the time I actually recruited her I had enough points to instantly hire Mercades, [15 year old pink haired woman in Golden deer whose name begins with L] and Anetta all in one single go.
Man it can make SUCH a difference depending on who you start chatting to!

My girlfriend is playing Blue Lions and restarted recently, she managed to get Bernadetta as part of the team before the Sword of Creation stuff. Which floored me, but next playthrough I'm going to do the same!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Taear posted:

I feel like by focusing on Leoni at first it ruined my experience because I tried and tried and she wouldn't go to B. By the time I actually recruited her I had enough points to instantly hire Mercades, [15 year old pink haired woman in Golden deer whose name begins with L] and Anetta all in one single go.
Man it can make SUCH a difference depending on who you start chatting to!

My girlfriend is playing Blue Lions and restarted recently, she managed to get Bernadetta as part of the team before the Sword of Creation stuff. Which floored me, but next playthrough I'm going to do the same!

I think I focused on Petra at first and it took me a while to get her. She’s now a speedy assassin killing machine so I can’t really be mad. She’s honestly one of, if not my favourite character. I love her design and personality and she’s just amazing in general. High chance of romancing her in my next playthrough with m!Byleth or Linhardt for the gay.

I’m still mad Claude isn’t bi.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
It will never not amuse me when it's the first free day of a new month and it's like 99% Explore and 1% Battle on the choice screen and the only thing I can think is there are some people playing this game who hate all the monastery and character stuff and just want more combat. Although, that said, I've been slacking on my battles and I'm beginning to think I'm going to run out of time to do them all, but I hate missing my harvests and tea parties.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

First thing I did after the time-skip: Go to the greenhouse and go like "Yeah, so I'm here to pick up the crops I planted like, five years ago?" And... I mean, you do get them, so fair enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It feels kind of silly that the Post Timeskip Cathedral has a gigantic pile of rubble where the altar used to be, it makes choir practice kind of weird when everyone's singing to it.