Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A big flaming stink posted:

no it's not ava's demon, it took place on earth present day. i....think the protagonist was in college?

Oh poo poo, I remember this, the main character got really high at a party and when she came down she could see this ghost thing that hated her because it was stuck in her presence all the time, and she was trying to figure out what it was and get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You're talking about Brainchild, I think:
http://brainchild.suzannegeary.com/

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rexxed posted:

You're talking about Brainchild, I think:
http://brainchild.suzannegeary.com/

yeah, that's it!

...aw, it's pretty much where i left it off still :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

yeah, that's it!

Yeah, it has short bursts of productivity like once a year or so but is otherwise on perma-hiatus. The only thing I can compare it to is like Everblue, which has being trying to finish the same chapter for 6 years now in wildly spaced fits and starts.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

yeah, that's it!

Her twitter mentions being a UX/UI artist and not being able to share recent designs due to NDA, so looks like Brainchild is a victim of serial webcomic murderer Gainful Employment.

I wonder what's killed the most webcomics. Industry employment (dream job, no time for comic)? Survival employment (gotta make rent, no time for comic)? Depression/health issues? Growing out of it? Getting bored with it?

Gimme Five
Jul 10, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Economic concerns in general are the main thing stifling art and creativity in the world overall. People don't get to make the things they want if those things don't make money, and they need money to survive. It applies to webcomics just as much as everything else, really.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
capitalism babey

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Gimme Five posted:

Economic concerns in general are the main thing stifling art and creativity in the world overall. People don't get to make the things they want if those things don't make money, and they need money to survive. It applies to webcomics just as much as everything else, really.

No doubt. Post-scarcity full communism (still rooting for a passing GSV to uplift us) or even just a UBI would have a hell of an effect on the art world.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pyroclastic posted:

Her twitter mentions being a UX/UI artist and not being able to share recent designs due to NDA, so looks like Brainchild is a victim of serial webcomic murderer Gainful Employment.

I wonder what's killed the most webcomics. Industry employment (dream job, no time for comic)? Survival employment (gotta make rent, no time for comic)? Depression/health issues? Growing out of it? Getting bored with it?

I'd say loss of interest is probably the top one. Though of the stuff I've watched wither and die on me I'd say it was a 50/50 split between employment issues (industry or otherwise) and mental/physical health burnout.

Gimme Five
Jul 10, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Mental and physical burnout wouldn't happen so much if people didn't have to worry about the looming specter of homelessness constantly and working 8 hours a day at some lovely real job in addition to putting the work into producing a comic at the same time.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Today I found out about the comic Scoob and Shag, a webcomic in which Shaggy and Scooby Doo get into dragonball z fights with other cartoon characters and it is getting played less and less for laughs and more as just an anime

it is a much worse and much less interesting Tails gets Trolled (RIP)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pyroclastic posted:

Getting semi-related fulltime work is a big one for good comics but the biggest killer by miles is authors committing at like age 19 to some vastly convoluted epic plotline that will take longer than their natural lifespans to complete, then realizing three years in that actually that sucks

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Getting semi-related fulltime work is a big one for good comics but the biggest killer by miles is authors committing at like age 19 to some vastly convoluted epic plotline that will take longer than their natural lifespans to complete, then realizing three years in that actually that sucks

This is pretty dead-on.

In general there tends to be waves of new online media corresponding to the major influences around when a group of kids hit high school/college age and hit that magic spot where responsibilities are relatively low, free time is pretty high and they might even have a bit of cash to invest in trying something. They fade when that wave of young people graduate and hit full-time work and/or family head on and simply don't have the time or energy, especially since they've probably learned enough by then to be tremendously embarrassed at the stuff they created a few years earlier. The solution is usually to fade out or attempt a reboot or new comic to clear up the previous problems. But it rarely works as well with the loss of momentum and the influx of new external pressures.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Calico Heart posted:

Today I found out about the comic Scoob and Shag, a webcomic in which Shaggy and Scooby Doo get into dragonball z fights with other cartoon characters and it is getting played less and less for laughs and more as just an anime

it is a much worse and much less interesting Tails gets Trolled (RIP)
I really enjoyed it when it was horror/action horror Jojo, but as questions have started getting answered, it's lost the horror element and is just becoming JJBA fanfiction.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

oriongates posted:

This is pretty dead-on.

In general there tends to be waves of new online media corresponding to the major influences around when a group of kids hit high school/college age and hit that magic spot where responsibilities are relatively low, free time is pretty high and they might even have a bit of cash to invest in trying something. They fade when that wave of young people graduate and hit full-time work and/or family head on and simply don't have the time or energy, especially since they've probably learned enough by then to be tremendously embarrassed at the stuff they created a few years earlier. The solution is usually to fade out or attempt a reboot or new comic to clear up the previous problems. But it rarely works as well with the loss of momentum and the influx of new external pressures.

That's 100% what happenee to this small webcomic I was into lately. It was all hand drawn and the artist got incredibly good over the course of doing it, but the early few chapters were really rough. So instead of moving forward with the plot, which was sitting on the cusp of sone pretty big payoffs, they decided to go back and redo the first few chapters in their current art style.

That was kind of the point where the ship hit the iceburg. The momentum was lost and they got about halfway through finishing the redo before they burned out and haven't posted a single thing since.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

nine-gear crow posted:

That's 100% what happenee to this small webcomic I was into lately. It was all hand drawn and the artist got incredibly good over the course of doing it, but the early few chapters were really rough. So instead of moving forward with the plot, which was sitting on the cusp of sone pretty big payoffs, they decided to go back and redo the first few chapters in their current art style.

That was kind of the point where the ship hit the iceburg. The momentum was lost and they got about halfway through finishing the redo before they burned out and haven't posted a single thing since.

Yep. I did it myself during my own webcomic phase, which served little purpose other than to throw a really jarring style change into the early archive...but I was pretty well on the way to "no time/no energy" anyway.

Even in the UF reboot my wife tried to do it too, mostly because she had been so out of practice drawing that when she got back into it her art started evolving really rapidly as she got more and more used to it. The only reason I endorsed it was because we had about a year-long buffer at the time and there were a few continuity changes that wouldn't hurt to include in the first couple of chapters, but I had to actively forbid her from going back and doing more than just the first two chapters.

If there was one recommendation to give to anyone making a webcomic is momentum is the key. You've got to build up a big buffer before you start posting, then keep drawing comics anyway and don't go back or get too distracted by side projects. Drawing a webcomic is a lot like reading one, once you miss some updates its a lot easier to miss more and eventually it's been months and months and there's no getting it back.

Oh, and have a loving plot outline. Seriously.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 22, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
other pro tips: enstate falgsc so you have free time

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spent like a whole 20 minutes making an avatar out of the most recent Never Satisfied strip. I'll probably use it myself, but I do still love Cio, so if anyone else wants it first, they can have it.

Oh, yeah, sure.

Get out.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

habeasdorkus posted:

Giant Days is excellent and I'm going to be sad to see it end. Susan Ptolemy better get ported back to the online Bobbinsverse, razor teeth and all.
Does she get better?

I love the character when she was first introduced, but when Giant Days went to print, she became a consistently awful person. And hey, maybe she always was, but I only noticed it then. It wore on me for a couple dozen comics before I stopped picking them up.

Relevant to webcomics, I was doublechecking this thread before posting, but after turning my back on the body for three years, Broodhollow is back. I guess for a while it's been Patreon-only? I had no idea, else I would have chipped in some bucks if that was the issue, but the site saw a ton of posts that came out the other day.

Mind, I don't know how regularly updated this is going to get. I would have posted in the Broodhollow thread, but it's been archived for years.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

PMush Perfect posted:

Spent like a whole 20 minutes making an avatar out of the most recent Never Satisfied strip. I'll probably use it myself, but I do still love Cio, so if anyone else wants it first, they can have it.

Oh, yeah, sure.

Get out.

that's amazing work

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

that's amazing work
You can also thank Tollymain, who was watching over my shoulder. The image shaking after a 'slam' was their idea.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Just hit one year old in Undead Friend. Had a total of 326 pages this year (slipped to a slower update schedule 2/3rds of the way through so as not to eat the buffer too quickly).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Today's attempt at poignancy in QC was really undercut by it being immediately followed by the laziest "lol OCD" joke in existence.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PMush Perfect posted:

Today's attempt at poignancy in QC was really undercut by it being immediately followed by the laziest "lol OCD" joke in existence.

Hannelore's entire presence in the comic, summarized.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
todays never satisfied has some incredible avatar potential as well

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

This week, in A Better Place, poo poo goes from hitting a fan, to hitting another fan, to hitting a third fan, and then to this:

And as for The Sisters, get your boss fight music playing, because uh...

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world

nine-gear crow posted:

momentum is the only reason to do anything anymore. comics for the sake of comics, until you're dead

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Grantaire posted:

momentum is the only reason to do anything anymore. comics for the sake of comics, until you're dead

Honestly though maintaining momentum really is the only way to get any big personal projects done

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
tell me about it, I've been holding myself to the same schedule for 9+ years

maybe it will pay off someday, maybe it won't, but in the meantime at least the drat thing will exist out of sheer force of will

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wow it took only a handful of weeks for Dominic Deegan to go off the deep end. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:nws: warning for today's page of DD.

:stonklol:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 31, 2019

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

how is it 2019 and people are still hatereading comics

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

new DD hit rear end up dead girl in three panels, there's no brakes on this ride

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Varinn posted:

how is it 2019 and people are still hatereading comics
I don't really hateread comics any more, I get that fix from bad game LPs, but Dominic Deegan is special. The original DD mock thread was one of the best places on the entire forum. I made actual friends in that :munch: and :suspense: shitshow. How can I not come back?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

for the record, this is more of a warning than the comic itself gave

mookie figured the appropriate warning for giant hairy goblin dongs would be a blog post, which he posted *today*, and which you would probably only read after you saw the giant hairy goblin dong

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I

Why did we have to see his dick again?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Burkion posted:

I

Why did we have to see his dick again?

Because Mookie has something IMPORTANT to convey

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lets be entirely real: theres nothing inherently wrong with having dicks in webcomics

the problem here is having mookie in webcomics

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

the problem is that we have a specific dick then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

it's a tricky dick