Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah he can.

He doesn’t have a big red button that is electrically connected to the silo doors, the rocket motor, and the arming circuit, but the legal chain of command is that the president issues the order and everyone below him is bound to carry it out.

Well that's the de jure but the de facto is that the top brass could and would veto the order if they thought there was good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't there a proposal that the nuclear codes should be surgically inserted into a staffer's heart so you couldn't launch without carving it out of someone

yeah, I think somebody at RAND came up with that idea

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jewel Repetition posted:

Well that's the de jure but the de facto is that the top brass could and would veto the order if they thought there was good reason

I would appreciate formal checks on the power to end civilisation as we know it.

The talking point used to be “the American people would never elect someone that reckless”.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
the supposed precedent is that when Nixon saw the end coming he was reduced to drunkenly stumbling around the White House having maudlin, self-pitying conversations with the paintings, and Kissinger advised the Joint Chiefs to double-check any instructions with him first just in case the president did something regrettable

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pirate Radar posted:

the supposed precedent is that when Nixon saw the end coming he was reduced to drunkenly stumbling around the White House having maudlin, self-pitying conversations with the paintings, and Kissinger advised the Joint Chiefs to double-check any instructions with him first just in case the president did something regrettable

Why does Nixon come off as an actual human being more than anyone else

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't there a proposal that the nuclear codes should be surgically inserted into a staffer's heart so you couldn't launch without carving it out of someone

For some reason this was meant to be a deterrent?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For some reason this was meant to be a deterrent?

yeah, the president would personally hafta take a life stab a guy and root around in his guts before giving the order to kill millions

the idea was to underline the severity of it by making the experience more personal. ofc it makes the assumption that the president isn't mentally ill, which honestly is a poor one if you know anything about literally any of our presidents

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
you can go all the way back to washington who was said to enjoy being shot at in battle because he believed himself to be invincible

every one of them has been nuts, it seems that it's a prerequisite to successfully running for president

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's fine, if the president ever ordered a *bad* nuclear first strike the military would just coup them and instate martial law.

The system works!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Having the codes inside a dude just makes that dude a security liability because someone else can kill that dude too and then what, do you surgically implant another dude or are there backups? At what point does the president say "too many dudes are being killed, doctor, give me the code"

Like who authorizes the doctor that's tattooing these codes anyway? Just loving abscond with his surgical USB drives, wala

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I could imagine security through obscurity where there are like three different dudes on the president's body detail over the course of a week that are all "murder to nuke" flagged but our current president would absolutely out them on national TV/Twitter

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/LENMILNER/status/1156199661516054528

drat SJW's trying to keep white afro-futurist bands from showing the world what they've got

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FFT posted:

Having the codes inside a dude just makes that dude a security liability because someone else can kill that dude too and then what, do you surgically implant another dude or are there backups? At what point does the president say "too many dudes are being killed, doctor, give me the code"

Like who authorizes the doctor that's tattooing these codes anyway? Just loving abscond with his surgical USB drives, wala

here's the quote

quote:

My suggestion was quite simple: Put that needed code number in a little capsule, and then implant that capsule right next to the heart of a volunteer. The volunteer would carry with him a big, heavy butcher knife as he accompanied the President. If ever the President wanted to fire nuclear weapons, the only way he could do so would be for him first, with his own hands, to kill one human being. The President says, "George, I'm sorry but tens of millions must die." He has to look at someone and realize what death is—what an innocent death is. Blood on the White House carpet. It's reality brought home.

When I suggested this to friends in the Pentagon they said, "My God, that's terrible. Having to kill someone would distort the President's judgment. He might never push the button."

— Roger Fisher, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, March 1981

so presumably this guy would be accompanying the president all the time and protected by the secret service just like the guy who's currently in charge of carrying around the nuclear football

except that apparently it would need to be the same guy 24/7 and also the code can't be changed daily like it is now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i am really looking forward to this psychotic empire being dismantled

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

an ‘alt-populist’, a thoroughly progressive-liberal semi-outsider statesman, who can speak the language of populism, but shuns its prejudices, arbitrariness and authoritarian temptations.

In short, they have the charisma of demagogues minus their political toxicity. This breed of young, dynamic, progressive and charismatic leaders include the likes of New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, French President Emmanuel Macron, Prime Minister Katrin Jakobsdottir in Iceland, Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, and Slovakian hipster-president Zuzana Caputova, among others.

Serf
May 5, 2011

"actually my beliefs are severely less radical than i want people to think" lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ah so you persecute tenants just for needing a place to live? (landlords get mad at me) sorry sorry I’m trying to remove it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I loving hate that vile avatar

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/1156516462875619329?s=19

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jesus Christ that's saying the quiet part loud.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

3 years ago

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797120114042793984

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

:thunk:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Tulip posted:

Jesus Christ that's saying the quiet part loud.

Pretty sure that wasn’t the intent, but boy is that tweet bad on multiple levels (even if you assume it has nothing to do with the congresspeople he’s referring to).

e: ok lol I guess Austin really was thrown in there as cover

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Ugato posted:

Pretty sure that wasn’t the intent, but boy is that tweet bad on multiple levels (even if you assume it has nothing to do with the congresspeople he’s referring to).

I don't know how to interpret that tweet in any way that isn't overt racism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I thought this might be a cheeky joke or something, but Russia Insider is a CHUD rag that praises Ron Unz.

https://twitter.com/RussiaInsider/status/1154387860205686784?s=20

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao it's real

https://www.therussophile.org/stalin-would-have-reached-paris-before-the-allies-if-not-for-the-incredible-heroism-of-the-waffen-ss.html/

e: beaten

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ugato posted:

most charitable possible interpretation is "I'm mad that voters won't conform to my 1-dimensional regional stereotypes" but I'm not feeling the most charitable

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Russians who sympathize with the Nazis will never make any sense. Eurasianism is stupid and unrealistic, but at least it makes sense.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I don't know how to interpret that tweet in any way that isn't overt racism

It is overt racism, but I think it's accidental overt racism, and he's actually trying to say they're not "really" from the Midwest or the South because they're from big cities.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ugato posted:

austin is also definitely texas. just a dumb take

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How many people live in a non coastal state not in a city

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Like 2/3 of Texans live in 4 major cities but those aren't "real" Texans I guess

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I thought this might be a cheeky joke or something, but Russia Insider is a CHUD rag that praises Ron Unz.

https://twitter.com/RussiaInsider/status/1154387860205686784?s=20

Some real cool other articles linked

https://russia-insider.com/en/anyone-who-has-spent-time-africa-knows-blacks-are-dumber-whites/ri27471

https://russia-insider.com/en/charlottesville-sentencing-today-four-young-patriots-be-crucified-crime-free-speech-assembly-and

https://russia-insider.com/en/its-time-americans-engage-mass-resistance-against-lgbtq-culture-death/ri27395

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

some dumb yankee has stupid ideas about the south

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

StashAugustine posted:

How many people live in a non coastal state not in a city

the first numbers I found are from the 1990 census so that's what we're getting.

Percentage of state population that lives in urban areas:

National average 75
Ohio 74
Minnesota 69
Colorado 82
Missouri 68
Texas 80
Utah 87

Those are mostly at random but here's every state that was under 50%

Maine 44
Mississippi 47
Vermont 32
West Virginia 36

There are 64 non ag workers for every ag 1 so every pundit that tries to cast salt of the earth farmers as "typical" in 2019 is just completely full of poo poo, no matter how they try to get there.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Deleted already

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

thicc_waluigi posted:

Deleted already

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

These all have such an American right wing character to them, so I looked it up and lo and behold all the the editors are European/American. The founder, Charles Bausman, was born in Germany and educated in America. Supposedly they're being funded by Konstantin Malofeev, who's an imperial restorationist toad.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tulip posted:

There are 64 non ag workers for every ag 1 so every pundit that tries to cast salt of the earth farmers as "typical" in 2019 is just completely full of poo poo, no matter how they try to get there.

ag workers also aren't "farmers." "farmers" are often landlords, or they're debt slaves to banks and agricorps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/1156571898433679360