Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

It nearly always fails to save new passwords, generating a new password is far too many clicks, the locking behavior doesn’t necessarily follow how it’s configured, logging in from a new computer requires the hex “secret key”, uhh I’m sure there’s more. I switched from lastpass maybe a year ago and I’m constantly low-key annoyed to the point that I let the browser remember everything and only use 1password to share data between the iOS password store on my phone, the chrome one at home, and the chrome one at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

It nearly always fails to save new passwords, generating a new password is far too many clicks, the locking behavior doesn’t necessarily follow how it’s configured, logging in from a new computer requires the hex “secret key”, uhh I’m sure there’s more. I switched from lastpass maybe a year ago and I’m constantly low-key annoyed to the point that I let the browser remember everything and only use 1password to share data between the iOS password store on my phone, the chrome one at home, and the chrome one at work

For the first time, yes you need to enter the secret key to authenticate new devices. After that the master password only is required. However, there are ways around that by authenticating devices through the web-portal.

I've never had it fail to save to new passwords nor had it fail to update passwords when I've changed them. I have no idea why your locking behavior isn't working.

Maybe you're holding it wrong.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

🤷‍♀️

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Are you using the One Password X, or the binary + extension version?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

I've literally never had any failure to save new passwords. Requiring the secret key on a new computer is intended because you're on a new unknown untrusted device. No clue if maybe the iPhone app is poo poo or not, the Android one works great with the Autofill API.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I tried 1password for a few weeks and then went back to KeepAss. On Firefox, I found it failing to remember passwords, creating duplicate entries, failing to recognize password fields and whatnot. Beta quality, not ready for production.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EssOEss posted:

I tried 1password for a few weeks and then went back to KeepAss. On Firefox, I found it failing to remember passwords, creating duplicate entries, failing to recognize password fields and whatnot. Beta quality, not ready for production.

....are you people using janky 3rd party add-ons or something?? Mine has worked flawlessly for a year plus now.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

....are you people using janky 3rd party add-ons or something?? Mine has worked flawlessly for a year plus now.

There were a couple versions of the non X version of the extension that didn't save passwords, or had trouble auto filling for me. Probably about a year, year and a half ago.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Another one not having any issues with password remembering and what not. Generate random password by clicking the icon in the password field and done running the full extension not the plugin to desktop app extension

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I've had issues with it not offering to save a site when I create a new account, or the first time I log into it on a device that has 1password installed.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Are you using the One Password X, or the binary + extension version?

Both, depending on what device I’m using

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My only complaint about 1Password is I have it configured to wait the maximum time before asking again for my master password (vs using Face ID or Touch ID), which is several weeks. And I swear every few days it just goes “lmao sorry bro, you gotta enter your master pass again for no reason”. I’m a good boy with a mega long pass phrase so every time I have to type it it’s very annoying. But maybe this is an Apple thing more than 1Password.

Other than that I don’t have any usability complaints.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

Both, depending on what device I’m using

I had one of your problems, but it was when I was using the binary+extension about 1.5 years ago. When I switched to X they went away.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
There are two 1passwords? I never knew that. I wonder which one I used. I remember a desktop app existing.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

EssOEss posted:

There are two 1passwords? I never knew that. I wonder which one I used. I remember a desktop app existing.

There's a desktop app and a browser plugin.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

PBS posted:

There's a desktop app and a browser plugin.

That's one, and then there's the new 1P X which is entirely a browser extension with no desktop half

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use the extension that requires the desktop client. I have trust issues with browser add-ons.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I read all the responses and I guess password management is a complicated thing that will never be figured out. I'll try 1password out and see if I like it enough to recommend it.

Really this is mostly about getting one dude off his stupid password excel sheet, I tell him all the time "just use keepass if you are doing that, its basically the same thing except more secure" and he just won't budge from his old habit. he doesn't want to change unless it's for good (which means a manager with team features).

I'll play around with the self-hosted managers too (bitwarden, passbolt) since I'd like to self-host my own manager for personal reasons.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
P

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alpha Mayo posted:

I read all the responses and I guess password management is a complicated thing that will never be figured out. I'll try 1password out and see if I like it enough to recommend it.

It'd be nice to have a FIDO2 world where you just log in with your yubikey or faceid or whatever for everything, but realistically the Strawberrynets of the world will always have lovely authentication practices because ~*~*customer experience*~*~ trumps all other concerns in their website and POS design.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft are doing some really interesting stuff re: passwordless. FIDO2 keys now work in Azure AD, and while the password is still required for now, the plan is to remove them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Microsoft are doing some really interesting stuff re: passwordless. FIDO2 keys now work in Azure AD, and while the password is still required for now, the plan is to remove them.

I have passwordless auth turned on for my personal microsoft account with the app and it is fantastic. If this is the future, I can't wait.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

I have passwordless auth turned on for my personal microsoft account with the app and it is fantastic. If this is the future, I can't wait.

Have a read of https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/hello-for-business/passwordless-strategy

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 30, 2019

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kerning Chameleon posted:

realistically the Strawberrynets of the world will always have lovely authentication practices because ~*~*customer experience*~*~ trumps all other concerns in their website and POS design.

piece of poo poo design alright

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Add another person who is completely happy with 1Password. It took me forever to get Chrome to completely drop all my old passwords and stop trying to autofill the passwords even though I said "please delete all the saved passwords", but once I got it all configured, I can't imagine using something other than it, it works well for me.

My one pet peeve with is the tiny UX disparities between mobile versions. iOS has a fancy recents page on the favorites view of recently used ones, Android doesn't get that.

zhar
May 3, 2019

on the topic of 1password are there any compelling reasons for me to update from my pre subscription 1password version 6?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

zhar posted:

on the topic of 1password are there any compelling reasons for me to update from my pre subscription 1password version 6?

At the moment, probably not. At some point in the future, they will no longer support your version of 1password through their browser extension.

Also, if you haven't updated your vault format from way back when, you should upgrade to their newer opvault format - the really hypersecure 1password used to store all metadata as plain text.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Watchtower is a moderately useful add-on in the newer versions, up to you if it's worth the cost

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I mean, not using vulnerable out-of-date products is a good practice too, imho

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

zhar posted:

I'd say sync specifically designed for passwords and a year of deleted item recovery are pretty compelling, along with the watchtower analytics as mentioned.

zhar
May 3, 2019

hmm, probably not then, there is something called watchtower already in 6, I sync and backup with icloud already and I've never bothered to empty the trash in it which is way more than a years worth. there aren't any cve's for my version so I think I'm happy to stick with it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Relevant https://blog.1password.com/never-better-time-to-upgrade-to-1password-7/

Basically, they won't support Catalina/Safari 13 https://blog.1password.com/safari-13-is-awesome-upgrade-from-1password-6/

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/CompliancePoint/status/1156916849910657029?s=19

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is decrypting incidental internet communications illegal in US law?

If you kick back in a internet cafe and collect a bunch of packets and then later on decrypt some of them without acting maliciously with them is that illegal or am I not understanding how networking works and asking a stupid question.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you kick back in a internet cafe and collect a bunch of packets and then later on decrypt some of them without acting maliciously with them is that illegal or am I not understanding how networking works and asking a stupid question.

Intercepting private traffic to look at it on a network you don’t administrate is definitely breaking some kind of law.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I thought you had to circumvent some kind of security measure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Even if this isn't illegal in the USA (I'm pretty sure it is), it's creepy and ethically disgusting.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

taqueso posted:

I thought you had to circumvent some kind of security measure.

encryption is totally a security measure

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I thought we were talking about an open wifi. I reread and yeah that's illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Remember the ethical part in ethical hacking.

Absolutely snooping on people's encrypted traffic is a crime, but it's morally wrong regardless. Don't do anything on a network you don't own or have permission to operate on.