Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Once you complete your first playthrough, how different will the 2nd with another house be? Are the missions the same?

First half wise the missions are the same but the characters react to them differently.
I'd say it's different enough to be worth it. You also feel more connected to your original characters since they're in every cutscene and etc.

And when I say you I mean me.

I am curious how they work if all your pupils die though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Amppelix posted:

By similar thing do you mean almost dying due to stupidity but saving herself with 2% odds, or?

Well similar except she usually dodges instead of face-tanking, more about taking units out with crit counters... but everyone is always almost dying due to my stupidity (in her cases sending her out on her own to get chests). Otherwise how would they ever learn anything?

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

not a bot posted:

Hot drat, that means most relics really are in Blue Lions.

Spoilers about the 10 Elites relics specifically;

The numbers are really oddly weighted;

Deer
Filnaught (Claude)
Blutgang (Marianne)
Frelkugel (Hilda)
Thrysus (Lorenz)

Lions
Areadbhar (Dimitri)
Luln (Ingrid)
Crusher (Annette)
Sylvain (Lance of Ruin)

Eagles
Amyr (Edelgard)

Other
Thunderbrand (Catherine)

So Deer have the easiest path to 6 with F!Byleth poaching Sylvain - on top of that Lysithea can wield Thunderbrand at full power!

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010
The previews saying recruiting students is hard are complete lies or the people playing the games weren't really Exploring very much... I recruited everyone except Leonie (I saved her for last. Oops.) on the BE route pre-time skip.

Hilda is even recruitable on BE despite all information I could see otherwise, you just need to spend time with her until you get C-Rank Support then you can finally start throwing flowers/other gifts at her and take her on missions like everyone else.

Also, (minor spoilers) I went Church Route and it was kinda weird that everyone (barring... Lorenz for reasons and also Ashe weirdly enough) you recruit just... shows up at the monastery after the first post-timeskip mission. I was kinda expecting them to slowly trickle back in to your group.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
recruiting everyone is hard because it's not obvious that getting supports with the students with drastically reduce requirements and even then you don't get a decent source of gifts until chapter like, five or six, so your expectations are a bit cemented.

in reality it's quite easy, though also gradually gets less and less worth it as you go along so it wraps around to being difficult enough again

also entirely unnecessary as you can only use +3 at most

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ZarquonHigardi posted:

The previews saying recruiting students is hard are complete lies or the people playing the games weren't really Exploring very much

Hilda is even recruitable on BE despite all information I could see otherwise, you just need to spend time with her until you get C-Rank Support then you can finally start throwing flowers/other gifts at her and take her on missions like everyone else.

Like I said previously it really depends who you decide to aim for first. It can easily give you the idea that it's MUCH harder than you realised.
The Hilda one is just loving weird. Giving you her lost items but not letting you speak to her isn't a great way of explaining what you need to do. Especially considering the Dedue/Hubert situation.

And yea it doesn't really make clear that you don't need the skills it talks about. It's just one of those things where it's easy to get lost with it and gently caress up.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 31, 2019

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

30 hours in and finally got to Golden Deer post timeskip, immediately got inundated with supports whew. Got Claude's support first, and Claude says he wants to break down all barriers and unite everyone everywhere, but isn't that just setting up another large empire but dressed up in a nicer way? Does Almyra want to be united with Fodlan? Would he make that happen through force if diplomacy doesn't work out? The dream of breaking down all barriers and uniting the world after uniting the continent sounds like a lighter form of world domination.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
god Stride is such an amazing gambit and giving +5 MOV to 5 of my units or so has really saved my rear end in the paralogues

though who's a good candidate to use it? since i'd rather not keep it on dorothea since she's the dancer

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

god Stride is such an amazing gambit and giving +5 MOV to 5 of my units or so has really saved my rear end in the paralogues

though who's a good candidate to use it? since i'd rather not keep it on dorothea since she's the dancer

if you give it to someone with canto (mounted) they can at least vaguely keep up.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Best users are cavalry. They won't get stuck behind after everyone else zooms forth with the stride.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat it is so frustrating to end a week like 5 exp from gaining a professor level. I want my professor level NOW!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Poaching students isn't too hard or anything but if you're not treating it as a high priority you probably won't pick up too many. I'm at chapter 10 and i've only got Dorothea and Leonie though I wouldn't be surprised if I grab one or two more before i'm done.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

drat it is so frustrating to end a week like 5 exp from gaining a professor level. I want my professor level NOW!

Are you buying all the fish bait from the merchants each month? That can help push you over the edge.

Meanwhile I'm post-timeskip and stuck at B+ for now. Shoulda fished more, I guess...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Akarshi posted:

Claude says he wants to break down all barriers and unite everyone everywhere, but isn't that just setting up another large empire but dressed up in a nicer way? Does Almyra want to be united with Fodlan? Would he make that happen through force if diplomacy doesn't work out? The dream of breaking down all barriers and uniting the world after uniting the continent sounds like a lighter form of world domination.

Everybody wants to rule the world. All you're deciding is who has the best justifications and/or shiniest boots to lick.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Are you buying all the fish bait from the merchants each month? That can help push you over the edge.

Meanwhile I'm post-timeskip and stuck at B+ for now. Shoulda fished more, I guess...

B+ should be mostly fine. You don't get the third battle unlock until A+ and that takes a boatload of XP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are heavy armor units worth it this time around? I made Raphael an Armor Knight instead of a Brawler and I'm wondering if I should reclass him. He's just so slow

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Poaching students isn't too hard or anything but if you're not treating it as a high priority you probably won't pick up too many. I'm at chapter 10 and i've only got Dorothea and Leonie though I wouldn't be surprised if I grab one or two more before i'm done.

I ended up intentionally limiting myself on poaching students because after I got three I realized I could get a bunch more pretty easily. I'd rather save something for the other routes. It really depends a lot on how much you explore and how much you try to raise supports with students in other houses, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 31, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That's not available yet, I just have to fish with whatever I find

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't understand Dorthea or however you spell her name

She's a loving armored unit in robes. She nukes everyone anywhere on the map to death just by looking at them and if she gets swarmed she just [no damages] through everything.
Like my actual warriors and physical units take damage but there has to be some kind of bug because she literally floats around just obliterating everything like some hell doomsday device

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Harrow posted:

Are heavy armor units worth it this time around? I made Raphael an Armor Knight instead of a Brawler and I'm wondering if I should reclass him. He's just so slow

I ended up intentionally limiting myself on poaching students because after I got three I realized I could get a bunch more pretty easily. I'd rather save something for the other routes. It really depends a lot on how much you explore and how much you try to raise supports with students in other houses, too.

Well, Great Knight is worth it at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Akarshi posted:

30 hours in and finally got to Golden Deer post timeskip, immediately got inundated with supports whew. Got Claude's support first, and Claude says he wants to break down all barriers and unite everyone everywhere, but isn't that just setting up another large empire but dressed up in a nicer way? Does Almyra want to be united with Fodlan? Would he make that happen through force if diplomacy doesn't work out? The dream of breaking down all barriers and uniting the world after uniting the continent sounds like a lighter form of world domination.

I don't think he wants to unify Almyra and Fodlan, at least not immediately? I think he just wants open borders, not for there to be only one country in the world. Of course, he can open his own borders, but whether or not Almyra would open theirs is a different question.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The armor classes give you giant boosts to defense. Sylvain has a mediocre defense growth, but sticking him in fortress knight still made him an impenetrable wall for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a way to tell how long a paralogue is available for, or are they all only available for a single month?

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

Is there a way to tell how long a paralogue is available for, or are they all only available for a single month?

If you go into the Battle screen and look at the 'logues there they have the cutoff date listed.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Harrow posted:

I'm fairly sure my Fortress Knight Edelgard hasn't taken non-magic damage in like, the last dozen battles or so. And it's not because she's been sitting on the sidelines.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Complete_Cynic posted:

Spoilers about the 10 Elites relics specifically;

The numbers are really oddly weighted;

Deer
Filnaught (Claude)
Blutgang (Marianne)
Frelkugel (Hilda)
Thrysus (Lorenz)

Lions
Areadbhar (Dimitri)
Luln (Ingrid)
Crusher (Annette)
Sylvain (Lance of Ruin)

Eagles
Amyr (Edelgard)

Other
Thunderbrand (Catherine)

So Deer have the easiest path to 6 with F!Byleth poaching Sylvain - on top of that Lysithea can wield Thunderbrand at full power!

Yeah I made a mistake since Sacred relics are different from Hero relics. I assume there are 10 of those as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I ended up intentionally limiting myself on poaching students because after I got three I realized I could get a bunch more pretty easily. I'd rather save something for the other routes.

:same:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Have they said anything about the release date for lunatic?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm fairly sure my Fortress Knight Edelgard hasn't taken non-magic damage in like, the last dozen battles or so. And it's not because she's been sitting on the sidelines.

Hm, maybe my Raphael's just had lovely level-ups. He's less durable than my Cavalier Leonie and not anywhere close to as mobile. Not sure if I want to keep going and get him to Great Knight or take a side path into Brawler. Or just bench him and field a knight or professor in his place, though that feels rude.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Taear posted:

The Paralogue between Manuela and Hannaman I found quite hard. Probably the only one and it's down to positioning.

I was really grateful to have Lyz with warp for that one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fortress Knights lose their luster on hard mode part 2, because the offensive power+speed is enough that they still take 9-18 damage per battle from every physical attacker except bow users.

At least for black eagles, I heard the other houses are easier.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Any reason not to give every character a battalion? At worst they're expensive, it seems the benefits just make it a non choice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

Any reason not to give every character a battalion? At worst they're expensive, it seems the benefits just make it a non choice.
There is literally no reason not to. Even in Felix's case, the high-level batallions give more benefits than his personal skill.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Honest Thief posted:

Nah, they're essentially buyable stat blocks (that grant even more stats as they level) + occasionally useful action. The only exception is Felix, who gets Might +5 with no batallion (or Adjutant), but at Authority D or C you'll get batallions that grant near to or more than +5 physical attack, plus other stats like hit or dodge, so still worth it.

edit: beaten!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm kinda confused, so the "get X stats while using magic" skills, do they give the stats while actually using them, or just being in a class that specializes in them?

(the white magic avoid one seems bad if it's using offensive faith magic)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Fortress Knights lose their luster on hard mode part 2, because the offensive power+speed is enough that they still take 9-18 damage per battle from every physical attacker except bow users.

At least for black eagles, I heard the other houses are easier.

I'm near the end of the game, and even a horde of assassins with silver swords can't meaningfully dent Sylvain's HP bar.

In retrospect, I'm actually surprised that effective weapons are almost completely absent from enemy armies.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Anyone tried mage Edie?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hubert keeps getting 8 stat level ups. Help he is too powerful.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Anyone tried mage Edie?

I used her to great effect. She won't touch the heights of a pure mage but the hybrid nature gives her incredible offensive flexibility.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I feel like what made FE click for me was realising that dmg reduction isn't an armor stat but instead related to the weapon's Might stat, and if it's broken. Game is cool, wish SEGA did a new Shinning Force in a similar vein.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Doing the chapter 21 mission and loving hell I had to turn the music off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tae posted:

I'm kinda confused, so the "get X stats while using magic" skills, do they give the stats while actually using them, or just being in a class that specializes in them?

(the white magic avoid one seems bad if it's using offensive faith magic)

They must be actually equipped.