Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

return0 posted:

How do you know which individuals need support without tools (code review/pr, git blame, etc) to see who needs help and how much the need it?

PR's are great, code reviews are great, creating metrics which track bugs introduced by individual developers instead of allowing people to claim responsibility themselves and save face will lead to a culture driven by fear, negativity, and CYA. (not to mention, working on legacy codebases, the blame for defects should often be shared with, or totally fall on, previous committers who left behind landmines. Putting it all on the most recent committer is ignoring reality.)

You want developers keeping branches open for months trying to make sure they introduce nothing that could possibly be interpreted as a bug? Punish them for introducing defects. Whoops, because you spend so much time pursuing perfection, you missed several months of chances for feedback from the business, and turns out what you were building was completely not what they needed. Your feature now has zero "defects" but it's also DOA.

To be fair, this might be an approach you want in a field where you are absolutely sure you know exactly what the customer wants, and even a small defect could cost millions, and your time-to-fix is high due to things out of your control (submarine computers, medical devices, etc.) In your average commercial webapp, building the right thing and getting to market is more important than building it perfectly the first time.

Also to answer your question more directly about "identifying who needs help", the best way I've found is to foster a good team culture where showing vulnerability is valued. If you have a team culture like that, the people who need help will come to you, you don't have to seek them out.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Shocking, I know, but despite the name you don't actually have to couple genuine casting of aspersions or assignations of blame with the use of git-blame.

Being able to track exactly when a change was made and by who is useful for lots of reasons other than some imaginary situation where people are being punished for adding bugs.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

hailthefish posted:

Shocking, I know, but despite the name you don't actually have to couple genuine casting of aspersions or assignations of blame with the use of git-blame.

Being able to track exactly when a change was made and by who is useful for lots of reasons other than some imaginary situation where people are being punished for adding bugs.

Of course. git blame is a good tool with a bad name. The post I quoted originally specifically called out "metrics that track who introduced bugs" and that was more what I was replying to.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Lord Of Texas posted:

This but unironically.

Sometimes people don't know, sometimes people actually don't give a gently caress. I've found that almost all senior developers aren't going to make the same twice once you point it out and will take the time to understand why you're suggesting changes in the review. If I see people making the same mistakes or not learning or not caring about review comments...

a) New developer that's not going to work out.
b) Drug problem.
c) Divorce.

Senior devs who really DGAF just won't check anything in and will do nothing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have discovered no matter what kind of arbitrary way of calculating story points we come up with, as long as the total ends up being 69, the entire team will approve without further debate.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have discovered no matter what kind of arbitrary way of calculating story points we come up with, as long as the total ends up being 69, the entire team will approve without further debate.

Nice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/_rockt/status/1155174213742997505

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ok they can absolutely claim that they have the most pushy and passive aggressive recruiter. No contest

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

hailthefish posted:

Just use git-annotate, problem solved

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Did you know there's an option in your user settings in travis ci to make the website use comic sans throughout. Is this self harm

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Working in Development: Is this self harm?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Phobeste posted:

Did you know there's an option in your user settings in travis ci to make the website use comic sans throughout. Is this self harm

No, it's for the people beyond retirement age who are still somehow working at a software development company who think Comic Sans is "fun" (you know, the guy whose email signature is in Comic Sans and each line of the signature is a different color).

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Protocol7 posted:

No, it's for the people beyond retirement age who are still somehow working at a software development company who think Comic Sans is "fun" (you know, the guy whose email signature is in Comic Sans and each line of the signature is a different color).

I thought it was because comic sans is a decent font for dyslexics.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

leper khan posted:

There's this, and also people might just like it. It's a user setting, they're not subjecting others to it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

leper khan posted:

So is Arial, Helvetica, Courier or any other super simple sans-serif or slab-serif typeface. But Comic Sans is something you can safely assume is installed on most PCs so it's usually a common option.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I've found that almost all senior developers aren't going to make the same twice once you point it out and will take the time to understand why you're suggesting changes in the review.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

One time on one of our internal apps for fun I made it so the user could customize their own color scheme

It was basically Hot Dog Stands all around

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

So is Arial, Helvetica, Courier or any other super simple sans-serif or slab-serif typeface. But Comic Sans is something you can safely assume is installed on most PCs so it's usually a common option.

Helvetica is not on any windows machine by default. It's incredibly telling when designers forget this and a website defaults to Arial because they forget the rest of the world isn't on a mac.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Protocol7 posted:

One key for dyslexic friendly fonts are that the b/d and p/q letters aren't mirrors of each other. That's why comic sans kinda works where those other fonts just don't.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

lifg posted:

One key for dyslexic friendly fonts are that the b/d and p/q letters aren't mirrors of each other. That's why comic sans kinda works where those other fonts just don't.

It really depends unfortunately. Statistically speaking Arial and the dyslexia-specific OpenDyslexic have shown the highest level of readability with dyslexia, but of course what works for one person doesn't always work for another.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Welp, I'm now SAFE Agile Certified (lol no I didn't pay for it) mostly so I can continue arguing about it at work without the robots deflecting with 'well you just don't understand it'.

Hmm, yes I love being the kind of agile that plans to only release to production 4 times a year, delicious.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Aaronicon posted:

Hmm, yes I love being the kind of agile that plans to only release to production 4 times a year, delicious.

Yay, let's have the dumb agile methodology discussion again! I unironically love it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
After my old job switched to SAFe they wanted everyone to take that certification test and I never did, because it's loving stupid and they valued me too much to fire me over a stupid certification.

There was also all of the other Accenture training BS that you had to do that I never did, so once in awhile some random guy would email me and be like "Hey, can you do this training please?" And I never did because all of the Accenture stuff was just "don't punch, kick or rape your coworkers, or even worse, leak company secrets, thanks."

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 31, 2019

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm the poor training dude who gets reprimanded because some jackass is too self-important to do his mandatory training.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm not apologizing for spending my time unfucking the messes of my idiot coworkers instead of checking some arbitrary checkbox for some bean counter.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I'm not apologizing for spending my time unfucking the messes of my idiot coworkers instead of checking some arbitrary checkbox for some bean counter.

You sound like an awesome person to work with

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
10x developer spotted

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
While digging through a file cabinet the other day, I found an old employee review that said I was too picky about people not updating their ticket states in JIRA. What a thing to put in a loving annual review.

I wish I'd told my boss at the time, "You know, if you can't think of any real issues to put down, you could just leave it blank."

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I had a team lead once who had recently joined the company. He said "well I've only been here for a short time so I haven't been able to accurately judge your work, so this year we'll just skip the salary increase".

He was probably the most incompetent team lead I've ever had.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Holy poo poo. That's the point at which incompetence becomes evil.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

one weird trick to never have to give raises again

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Yes, indeed. It was the final straw (along with a long commute and dysfunctional agile-in-name-only process). I've moved to a company much closer by, much better organized and with managers that actually try to manage people for happiness and suitable career paths instead of process.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Managing is an underrated skill. Every management book and HBR article and TED talk all talk about how leadership is so much more important than simple management. But anyone in any role can be a leader. Management is an distinct and necessary skill for actual managers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CPColin posted:

While digging through a file cabinet the other day, I found an old employee review that said I was too picky about people not updating their ticket states in JIRA. What a thing to put in a loving annual review.

I wish I'd told my boss at the time, "You know, if you can't think of any real issues to put down, you could just leave it blank."

I have a colleague who once got penalized on his annual review for spending too much time building reusable components instead of just throwing together some crap to fix whatever the pressing business need of the moment was.

I'm not 100% sure why he's still here.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Wow. That's for sure a delicate balance, between You're Not Gonna Need It vs. horrible spaghetti, but absolutely not one that should be reconciled via an annual review!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Aaronicon posted:

Welp, I'm now SAFE Agile Certified (lol no I didn't pay for it) mostly so I can continue arguing about it at work without the robots deflecting with 'well you just don't understand it'.

If it doesn't work, remember that it's a failure of SAFe adoption. Problems may result from a lack of understanding, but might also be from inadequate tooling or a failure to understand the practices and culture of SAFe.

s/SAFe/Agile/ if you don't recognize the boilerplate excuses.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SAFe can't fail, it can only be failed?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Enterprise is the definition of failure, it is impossible to separate SAFe from its blood heritage.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Every company sucks, you just have to hope yours sucks the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Protocol7 posted:

Every company sucks, you just have to hope yours sucks the least.

Every so often, after a drink on a Saturday evening, I stare wistfully out at the sky and long for the days before I became a developer and there was still a hopeful optimism in my heart that good code must exist in companies across the globe, providing the very infrastructure that our world operates on.

Now I realize we live in a world where the risk of a global recession being brought on by an NPM package being depublished is going up, and not down.

Goodbye, innocence.