Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm just so excited about this game. It's so much better than I expected it up be, and so much bigger, too. I'll be playing this for a long while I think. I'm already excited about what I'm going to do for the other House routes, or stupid gimmick runs like intentionally training everyone totally opposite their strengths and goals.

Endorph posted:

There is literally no reason not to. Even in Felix's case, the high-level batallions give more benefits than his personal skill.

I took a big swerve into training up my students' Authority once I realized how good the higher level battalions are. At least C for everyone I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't understand Dorthea or however you spell her name

She's a loving armored unit in robes. She nukes everyone anywhere on the map to death just by looking at them and if she gets swarmed she just [no damages] through everything.
Like my actual warriors and physical units take damage but there has to be some kind of bug because she literally floats around just obliterating everything like some hell doomsday device

You must have got pretty lucky because my Dorothea isn't very good, at least in comparison to other casters. I do wonder how much randomness is actually in the stat ups and how much real difference it can make.

I find myself using Stride with her because everyone else does what she does but better.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Holy poo poo, after I had assigned my class stuff and goals, on the Saturday of that week I got notified that Annette wanted to join my class. I didn’t even know that was a thing.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Taear posted:

You must have got pretty lucky because my Dorothea isn't very good, at least in comparison to other casters. I do wonder how much randomness is actually in the stat ups and how much real difference it can make.

I find myself using Stride with her because everyone else does what she does but better.

When I recruited Dorothea, she came in with base stats that completely embarrassed both Annette and Mercedes put together.

Now that I'm late in the game, she's kind of leveled off and Annette has taken over as my primary mage. I think Annette spends a lot of time snorting spirit dust when nobody's looking.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Part of me wants Byleth to marry Shamir but she and Catherine seem to have a good thing going and I don't want to break that up.

Taear posted:

One fun thing about random stat growths is how different players' experiences can be with different units. Like my Leonie is an absolute monster while Hilda is just barely holding on, and I've seen others have the opposite experience.

I feel bad benching my students but at least if Hilda, Ignatz, and Lorenz keep being as lackluster as they have been, it gives me room to field other units like Shamir, Catherine, or Flayn.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Fortress Knights are so good because you get weight -5 as a class ability and combined with weight -3 suddenly there’s no speed penalty

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

Fortress Knights are so good because you get weight -5 as a class ability and combined with weight -3 suddenly there’s no speed penalty

Weight -3 is what helped keep my Ferdinand so drat good.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm wondering if the season pass is going to be worth the fairly high cost, an initial glance shows that its mainly fluff DLC, cosmetics and the like with some nebulous story content next year, just when in the game this will be set is also going to be interesting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm wondering if the season pass is going to be worth the fairly high cost, an initial glance shows that its mainly fluff DLC, cosmetics and the like with some nebulous story content next year, just when in the game this will be set is also going to be interesting.

It looks like a bargain compared to the $45 Echoes season pass. Though I never got it so I don't know if it was substantive.

What's the best way to level up my professor level?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

If there's a rather... important thread hanging thread resolved in the story DLC it'd probably be worth it to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I can't help but wonder if it'll be an extra route or something, given that it's also going to come with new playable characters. Although I hope there isn't ever a "unite everyone" Revelations-style route--the lack of a "you can have it all" route is something I really like.

Maybe some kind of epilogue DLC that somehow works for every route? That'd be really tough to put together though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's the best way to level up my professor level?

Fish and garden every weekend, eat lunch with your students, and answer questions well during lectures. The only times you should choose to not Explore on weekends is either to do paralogue battles or to do one specific side quest battle (Clearing the Way, which brings new merchants to the monastery).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
They should add a DLC route where you side with Those Who Slither in the Dark

Instead of an extra everything perfect route, an extra everything terrible route :getin:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Harrow posted:

Although I hope there isn't ever a "unite everyone" Revelations-style route--the lack of a "you can have it all" route is something I really like.

That'd actually ruin the game for me honestly, choices are supposed to have consequences and people die because of it, I feel the "war really sucks" element is played really well.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Do people even actually die on Classic? I'm playing on Casual, but a coworker is playing on Classic and it sounds like characters still stick around in the monastery if they get "killed" during battle, they just don't fight anymore.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

jimmydalad posted:

Holy poo poo, after I had assigned my class stuff and goals, on the Saturday of that week I got notified that Annette wanted to join my class. I didn’t even know that was a thing.

Both Raphael and Mercades joined me this way. I'd actually asked them to join that Sunday as well. Who knows why sometimes it works that way.

inthesto posted:

When I recruited Dorothea, she came in with base stats that completely embarrassed both Annette and Mercedes put together.

Wonder if recruiting gives them a sort of average stat gain instead of the randomness it gives normally?

In her last playthrough my girlfriend's Ashe was absolute poo poo but this game he's really powerful because his stats just fell a ton better. It's actually nice, although if you get mega unlucky and everyone's poo poo that'd be a real pain.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Do people even actually die on Classic? I'm playing on Casual, but a coworker is playing on Classic and it sounds like characters still stick around in the monastery if they get "killed" during battle, they just don't fight anymore.

Ahhh that makes shitloads more sense, because I have no idea how you'd continue your story if your class's head died. Most characters don't matter but Ed/Claude/Dimitri absolutely do. I notice that if you just pay attention to the dialogue of the people who aren't the class head and their adjutant it still makes sense if you cut them out.
So a story battle that has your whole class speak and Bernadetta has a line could easily work without her line because nobody ever directly replies to it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 31, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Harrow posted:

Fish and garden every weekend, eat lunch with your students, and answer questions well during lectures. The only times you should choose to not Explore on weekends is either to do paralogue battles or to do one specific side quest battle (Clearing the Way, which brings new merchants to the monastery).

Cool.

I know the stories differ drastically depending on your choice of house, and probably with some key decision points throughout the stories. But do some of the plot lines run concurrently? I'm in July in Blue Lions, and I just did the mission where there's a fake assassination attempt on Rhea during the Christmas in July holiday, but it's just a ruse to get Ivy from Soul Calibur's sword from a tomb. Does that event take place while you're out doing other stuff if you picked a different house?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

They should release an unite everyone DLC and it should end in everyone dying after failing to accomplish anything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cool.

I know the stories differ drastically depending on your choice of house, and probably with some key decision points throughout the stories. But do some of the plot lines run concurrently? I'm in July in Blue Lions, and I just did the mission where there's a fake assassination attempt on Rhea during the Christmas in July holiday, but it's just a ruse to get Ivy from Soul Calibur's sword from a tomb. Does that event take place while you're out doing other stuff if you picked a different house?

I think the first half is roughly the same on each route, with some differences in your characters react to things. The second half is where things really diverge.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think they can actually die I've you reach the second half? Not too sure.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Andrast posted:

They should release an unite everyone DLC and it should end in everyone dying after failing to accomplish anything

This, except it's centered around a hidden fourth house that Flayn belongs to but she dies if she ever days its name

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
My Dorothea suck rear end. The only way I can get her to keep up was by using Hubert's Rally on her so she could deal some damage.

Anyway, do you really need a dark seal to change someone into a dark mage and do I need to beat up the death knight to get a copy?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

A fourth route where you create your own house would be interesting

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

My Dorothea suck rear end. The only way I can get her to keep up was by using Hubert's Rally on her so she could deal some damage.

Anyway, do you really need a dark seal to change someone into a dark mage and do I need to beat up the death knight to get a copy?

Yes and yes

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wish I knew that earlier... Hubie will never reach his true potential...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I feel like a unite route might be a thing if only because Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude currently have supports programmed but literally no route lets you see them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think you can steal the Dark Seal, too.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Harrow posted:

I think you can steal the Dark Seal, too.

You can.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

But that would mean leaving a giant XP piñata behind!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I get the feeling that a unite the three houses against the church could be viable, since at least Claude and Edelgard have some degree of distrust of or grievances against the church, and unlike with Valla or Anankos bullshit the church has been shady and in your face the entire game. It’d require Edelgard to set aside her imperial revanchism against the other great powers of Fódlan though so that’s a snag

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of, I also didn't get the Dark Seal on the first two chances. Will there be another chance at some point? I'm on Golden Deer if it matters.

Although I don't really plan to use it this run. The only unit I'd want to make a Dark Mage can't be one because gender locked classes are the worst.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That Dark Knight would have roasted my entire team. Do I get another chance to fight him?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm hitting near the level cap despite black eagles apparently being the shortest chapter-wise. (on hard). Between paralogues and rare battles, when there's really no point in exploring after maxing supports/Professor level, exp isn't really an issue.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Speaking of, I also didn't get the Dark Seal on the first two chances. Will there be another chance at some point? I'm on Golden Deer if it matters.

Although I don't really plan to use it this run. The only unit I'd want to make a Dark Mage can't be one because gender locked classes are the worst.

There are 3 total chances to get one

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Taear posted:

Ahhh that makes shitloads more sense, because I have no idea how you'd continue your story if your class's head died. Most characters don't matter but Ed/Claude/Dimitri absolutely do.
Byleth or a class head dying on Classic causes an instant game over.

But it wouldn't be the first time in the series that a semi-important character retreated upon their "death" so they could continue to show up during story scenes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I get the feeling that a unite the three houses against the church could be viable, since at least Claude and Edelgard have some degree of distrust of or grievances against the church, and unlike with Valla or Anankos bullshit the church has been shady and in your face the entire game. It’d require Edelgard to set aside her imperial revanchism against the other great powers of Fódlan though so that’s a snag

I could accept a route like that if it's portrayed as very, very difficult and if it comes with a lot of sacrifices. One of my favorite things about Three Houses is that every route is messy and requires varying degrees of sacrifice and moral compromise. Having a "unite everyone" route can only really work if it's just as messy and imperfect. Like if you end up making enemies you wouldn't expect or something, or there's no way to make it through without people you care about dying.

Even then I think I'd prefer not to, but it does seem like the obvious path for a story content DLC releasing nine months from now.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How are you supposed to get the dark seal the first time? Because I just did that mission and the dark Knight would've destroyed anyone that looked at him funny, in a single hit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Byleth or a class head dying on Classic causes an instant game over.

But it wouldn't be the first time in the series that a semi-important character retreated upon their "death" so they could continue to show up during story scenes.

Are you sure? I only ask because the tutorial messages and etc just mention it happening if your main character dies.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

How are you supposed to get the dark seal the first time? Because I just did that mission and the dark Knight would've destroyed anyone that looked at him funny, in a single hit.

Are you on Hard? If not, the best bet is to just grind up to level 10. Doesn't take long.
If you are then welp, that's your punishment.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Gambits mostly. Then nuking him down with magic

Taear posted:

Are you sure? I only ask because the tutorial messages and etc just mention it happening if your main character dies.

Yes, every stage gives game over conditions at the start. Most are Byleth+Claude/Dimitri/Edelgard dying but in Paralogues it includes the Paralogue people etc.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
at first I thought talk of flayn and fish was because it was her entry quest so it became a meme but, uh

no flayn is kind of obsessed about fish isn't she

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Steal that poo poo my dude.